Team-BHP - ARTICLE: Extended Warranties. Yes or No?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   On buying a car (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying-car/)
-   -   ARTICLE: Extended Warranties. Yes or No? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying-car/18267-article-extended-warranties-yes-no-8.html)

For a Ford vehicle, buy as much extended warranty as soon as possible is what I have learnt :D

Sweeter idea but with pinch of salt would be :- to sell off the Ford within 3 years warranty ?
The 9XXX seems to be worth going in for as any major part would incur such costs. if no plans to sell then sweet deal is get warranty for 4th year, but i am sure it would also carry 4 years or XXXXX kms whichever first , So how many kms do you get covered for the 4th year. Find that out and compare to your driving requirement.

If monthly running is very low (< 500km), is it still advisable to opt for the 4th year extended warranty?(in the case of Ford vehicles)

Is anyone here with extended warranty for skoda fabia? Currently the company does not offer any, was not sure if dealers in bangalore have any similar scheme running.

Skoda does not have much faith in their own products it seems. I asked them for 2 years' additional warranty (ready to pay upto 25k as against 9k for Honda). Dealer refused - I did not buy car.

This is in regard to continuation of a wonderful article written by F50 regarding Extended Warranty

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...es-yes-no.html

Now when most of the people have a mixed reaction of taking over Extended Warranty is positive the question arises is "Who is the economical among them and secure your pocket till longest term??"

As a perspective buyer I would put my money to a manufacturer who would provide best after sales support !!

Chevrolet - 3 Yr Complete Maintenance package but there after no extended package available. (Not sure) - Total Worth
Tata - 24 months initial warranty + 24 months extended warranty
Hyundai - 24 Months initial warranty + 12 Months extended warranty

Share your experience and take on this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashthedivx (Post 1271332)
Hyundai - 24 Months initial warranty + 12 Months extended warranty

Share your experience and take on this.

Now Hyundai is providing 24 Months initial warranty + 36 Months extended warranty.

I had taken 24 months extended warrantly. I extended it to 36 month extended warrantly. I think the total cost came to around Rs. 14000.

My car is 2 years old and I did not have to use warranty. No parts replaced until now, just regular service and pampering. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatienceWins (Post 1271368)
Now Hyundai is providing 24 Months initial warranty + 36 Months extended warranty.

I had taken 12 months extended warrantly. I extended it to 36 month extended warrantly. I think the total cost came to around Rs. 14000.

My car is 2 years old and I did not have to use warranty. No parts replaced until now, just regular service and pampering. :)

In total it is 60 months warranty !! :eek:

It is undoubtedly commendable. Any clauses related to purchase of the extended warranty ?? Like it should be purchased along with car shopping or can be purchased any within the warranty period ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashthedivx (Post 1271391)
In total it is 60 months warranty !! :eek:

It is undoubtedly commendable. Any clauses related to purchase of the extended warranty ?? Like it should be purchased along with car shopping or can be purchased any within the warranty period ?

The fifth year extended warranty was introduced last year. I took it just when it was launched. I came to know about it from Team-BHP, the service center came to know after I came to know from Team-BHP!! clap:

The extended warranty need not be purchased along with the car, the service center is giving discounts now on the extended warranty. I think it has to be purchased within the normal warranty period.

Almost all extended warranties only cover the drive train. So unless you are a high mileage user they may not be worth the money.

I have a Verna crdi purchased in Jan 2007 and is out of the two yr warranty. Have run 36K Kms.

I approached the Hyundai dealer and learned that I cannot avail the extended warranty anymore. However they said they will give it a try and asked me to fill out the form which they would send to the company and contact me if it gets through to make the payment.

If it gets through then I can avail the 4th yr (1 yr only) extended warranty by paying 10450. Please advice whether it will be worth going in for this!

Quote:

Originally Posted by icemanz (Post 1452687)
If it gets through then I can avail the 4th yr (1 yr only) extended warranty by paying 10450.

Rs. 10,450 is a lot of money for just one year of coverage under an extended warranty scheme. I would suggest you refrain from it if you have maintainted you car well.

Our 2007 Santro AT will be completing 2 years next week and we want to get the additional 36 months (total 60 months) or 100K extended warranty. And there is a 20% discount if I pay for it this week during the Hyundai Car Care Clinic.

Hyundai is offering two types of extended warranty:
A) Comprehensive - which is basically an extension of the new car warranty
B) Power Train only - which covers only the engine & transmission

Option A will cost me Rs 7500, while Option B is only Rs 2800.

So what else does comprehensive warranty include that makes it almost 3 times as expensive as the power train warranty? Apart from the engine & tranny, I do not see much else that could go wrong in the small car. Is it worth it to pay almost Rs 5000 extra for the comprehensive cover?

If anyone has an opinion either way, I'd like to hear it.

Thanks
Teja

Quote:

Originally Posted by H3LIOS (Post 1487544)
So what else does comprehensive warranty include that makes it almost 3 times as expensive as the power train warranty? Apart from the engine & tranny, I do not see much else that could go wrong in the small car. Is it worth it to pay almost Rs 5000 extra for the comprehensive cover?

In fact Engine & Transmission can be safely expected to last in excess of 150,000km. What can go wrong - engine essentially nothing, transmission - clutch (in a manual as an AT lasts far longer) and CV joints. You have to take a holistic view - once you extend the warranty then you are tied to the HA$$ and cannot go independent for anything.

Thus either go the whole hog or nothing.

Extended warranty for ford Ikon ,
Within 1 month of delivery -
for 36months(2+1 yrs) = 4400
for 48 months(2+2 yrs) = 8300

Within 12 months and after 1month of delivery
for 36 months(2+1 yrs) = 5350
for 48 months(2+2 yrs) = 9200

Guys, do you feel it's worth it. Advise whether sould go for 36 months or 48 months Extended warranty ?