Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2015, 14:34   #226
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Extended Warranties. Yes or No?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Do we have to pay for labour charges while getting a faulty part changed under extended warranty? Shouldn't it be free too when it is clearly evident that the company's quality is at fault here and hence they should do the necessary repairs or replacement.
The labor part is also covered under extended warranty, atleast Maruti covers it. Going by the simple logic, the manufacturer simply cannot handover the replacement for the defective part. The part and rest of the car was received as a complete package and any manufacturing defect in any part shall be made good in the same state as originally provided while purchasing the car. They may charge for the consumables though, for eg refilling of brake fluid in case of change of brake booster, AC gas for warranty replacement of condenser etc.
Grr7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 17:08   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grr7 View Post
The labor part is also covered under extended warranty, atleast Maruti covers it. Going by the simple logic, the manufacturer simply cannot handover the replacement for the defective part. The part and rest of the car was received as a complete package and any manufacturing defect in any part shall be made good in the same state as originally provided while purchasing the car. They may charge for the consumables though, for eg refilling of brake fluid in case of change of brake booster, AC gas for warranty replacement of condenser etc.
I can confirm that Maruti covers all the charges incurred for any warranty replacements. I had got my Ritz's Turbo Charger replaced under warranty last year, did not have to a penny. But it was under the standard 2 years warranty, as the Manager of ASS suggested that lets get it done in the standard warranty period rather prolonging and moving into the extended warranty phase. Not sure why he said that.
napster1311 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2015, 14:39   #228
BHPian

Mod Note : There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use a spell-checker.

Last edited by GTO : 9th October 2015 at 09:53.
amvj is offline   Received Infraction
Old 24th December 2015, 07:59   #229
BHPian

Recently I bought a Micra Active from Delhi. The car is to be registered by me in Haryana. Providing extended warranty for two years was part of the deal with car dealer. But at the time of delivery the SA did not provide me papers regarding extended warranty saying that this can be done ONLY after permanent registration of the car(and this can not be done on the basis of temporary registration). Can anybody confirm if permanent registration is mandatory for extended warranty ?
Old 24th December 2015, 12:59   #230
BHPian

Extended warranties are a boon. I had paid about Rs 4000 for extending our EON car warranty by 2 more years over the normal warranty period. With 3 weeks left for the extended warranty to expire I had an EPS failure that needed the whole Steering column to be replaced. Though Hyundai tried to repair it first, eventually I got a part replacement which otherwise would have cost me about Rs 25K.

So even if you feel that the vehicle you have purchased is an extremely reliable one, just purchase the warranty. It costs peanuts and saves you a lot of money when needed. Extended warranty covers Parts as well as Labour. You should put your foot down that you will not pay anything and they have to make it good. Usually companies do.
Old 24th December 2015, 22:38   #231
Senior - BHPian

How long do extended warranty documents take? My dealer is taking forever (over three weeks now since delivery) and keeps saying it will be done soon. Should I escalate the issue with the manufacturer (VW)?
Old 25th December 2015, 11:48   #232
Senior - BHPian

Apparently, all it takes is a post on Team BHP! The dealer called me and I collected them today.
Old 20th January 2016, 22:59   #233
BHPian

Warranty starts from the date of invoice and not delivery. I learnt it hard way with my Linea when it ran into faulty indicator switch during the gap between the invoice and delivery date post 2-years (standard warranty.) The cost of the switch was around 8k. I had extended warranty up to 4 years but I was told that the switch is not covered in the extended warranty. I ended up escalating it to Fiat's customer service head Mr. Kodalkar who very willingly supported me and immediately spoke with the workshop manager at Pandit (Pune). Ended up doing the repair without any extra cost. Since that day, my Linea was treated with special attention whenever I took it to the workshop.
sagara999 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2016, 20:26   #234
Distinguished - BHPian

Just found this thread. Here is an image I took from the service center. Shows what all is covered under VW's Extended Warranty. Was displayed at the Customer Lounge.

ARTICLE: Extended Warranties. Yes or No?-img_20160312_1007482.jpg
Old 12th March 2016, 22:36   #235
Distinguished - BHPian

Extended warranty was very useful for me. I had paid around 8k for 3rd year extended warranty. I got around 1.2 lakhs worth parts replaced like turbo, gearbox.
Old 14th March 2016, 23:18   #236
BHPian

i have booked a BMW 320d LCi prestige and am in the process of taking a delivery. My expected running will be around 25-30 kms /day. there 2 things in BMW. one is BSI which i think is service package and is of 2 types: inclusive; Inclusive plus. and one is BRI (BMW repair Insurance) which i presume is a extended warranty kind of package.
BSI is available in various schemes with different yrs and Kms. I was thinking of 3yrs/40K or 5yrs/60K packages.
BRI is available in terms of yrs. 2 yrs is std. you may opt for 3/4/5/6 yrs. Since i am planning for keeping this for a long time, whether should i go for 6 yrs, whicj i think is the maximum.
Please advice. also tell whether to take them now or in a 1-2 months after purchase. i am very nervous as this is my first entry into luxury segment. Thanks in advance.
Old 15th March 2016, 06:56   #237
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkunaldas View Post
i have booked a BMW 320d LCi prestige and am in the process of taking a delivery. My expected running will be around 25-30 kms /day. there 2 things in BMW. one is BSI which i think is service package and is of 2 types: inclusive; Inclusive plus. and one is BRI (BMW repair Insurance) which i presume is a extended warranty kind of package.
BSI is available in various schemes with different yrs and Kms. I was thinking of 3yrs/40K or 5yrs/60K packages.
BRI is available in terms of yrs. 2 yrs is std. you may opt for 3/4/5/6 yrs. Since i am planning for keeping this for a long time, whether should i go for 6 yrs, whicj i think is the maximum.
Please advice. also tell whether to take them now or in a 1-2 months after purchase. i am very nervous as this is my first entry into luxury segment. Thanks in advance.
For all luxury or prestige cars in India, the extended warranty is an absolute MUST along with Zero Depreciation Insurance policy.
Believe me, the investment and consequent peace of mind is priceless.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2016, 07:34   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
For all luxury or prestige cars in India, the extended warranty is an absolute MUST along with Zero Depreciation Insurance policy.
Believe me, the investment and consequent peace of mind is priceless.
My dilemma is which one should I take. Somebody please advice about the different BSI and BRI packages.
I am planning to take the zero dep policy.
I am planning BSI package of 3yrs/ 40000 kms which costs around Rs 1.05 lacs.
I am confused between 5 and 6 yr BRI package
5yr BRI costs approx Rs 1.1 lacs
6 yr BRI costs approx Rs 1.78 lacs
Which one to go for?
Old 15th March 2016, 10:02   #239
BHPian

How long do you keep your cars? The additional year (6th) can give you additional peace of mind, and also increase the re-sell value.

For my XUV500, I have an option of paying ~15K for the 4th year warranty, and ~24K for 4+5 yrs. I will mostly opt for the latter. We keep our cars for a long time, and if there was an option to purchase an 8th year warranty, I would have taken that as well .

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkunaldas View Post
My dilemma is which one should I take. Somebody please advice about the different BSI and BRI packages.
I am planning to take the zero dep policy.
I am planning BSI package of 3yrs/ 40000 kms which costs around Rs 1.05 lacs.
I am confused between 5 and 6 yr BRI package
5yr BRI costs approx Rs 1.1 lacs
6 yr BRI costs approx Rs 1.78 lacs
Which one to go for?
ajayclicks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2016, 10:55   #240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Just found this thread. Here is an image I took from the service center. Shows what all is covered under VW's Extended Warranty. Was displayed at the Customer Lounge.

Doesn't it make a better sense for the manufacturers to list our what all is NOT covered under extended warranty?

Or does such a list run into pages and therefore manufacturers don't wish to write it down in the contract.
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed