Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2007, 14:40   #46
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikunj_cal View Post
Wow thx GTO , !!!

Just a point to add , SBI calculates its installemnts on the basis of Daily reducing Balnce and my guess is so does the Excel Sheet . ICICI and UTI have their own funny ways of doing it .IMO Daily Reducing Method is the best as you end up paying more towards the principal and less towards the Interest !!!
Nikunj, could you throw more light on this.
For example let us say I take a loan for which the EMI is 20,000/month.
In one month I see that I have saved money, so I put in 25000 instead of 20000 towards the EMI. Does this mean that if I do this frequently my overall outflow(net) will go down?
Old 24th May 2007, 15:57   #47
BHPian

EMI is fixed. Do not mix it with prepayment.

Typically, once you have a nice figure , say Rs 50 thousands or one lakh available with you, you go to your bank and make a prepayment of this amount towards your loan. That way, your principal outstanding comes down by 50 thousands or one lakh, as the case may be. With the amount of principal outstanding thus coming down, the interest component of your future EMIs comes down considerably.

The caveat is that this works only in case of PSU banks, where there are no hidden clauses and no underhand dealings. This procedure will work fine with say SBI, but ICICI will find ways to rob you, in the form of prepayment penalties etc.
Old 24th May 2007, 16:09   #48
Team-BHP Support

So it means number of EMIs will reduce if I make a prepayment. thanks I will try to go to a PSU bank.
Do they easily give loans or you need to have jack
Old 24th May 2007, 17:34   #49
BHPian

Nationalised banks give loans but they have a more documentation then the private banks. I am trying for a car loan and my dealer has told me that Sate Bank Of Patiala is offering minimum ROI. Acc to him 11% reducing.
Old 25th May 2007, 14:28   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarecut View Post
EMI is fixed. Do not mix it with prepayment.

Typically, once you have a nice figure , say Rs 50 thousands or one lakh available with you, you go to your bank and make a prepayment of this amount towards your loan. That way, your principal outstanding comes down by 50 thousands or one lakh, as the case may be. With the amount of principal outstanding thus coming down, the interest component of your future EMIs comes down considerably.

The caveat is that this works only in case of PSU banks, where there are no hidden clauses and no underhand dealings. This procedure will work fine with say SBI, but ICICI will find ways to rob you, in the form of prepayment penalties etc.
The SBI has prepayment penalties , 2 % of the outstanding principal , dunnow about partial repayments but mind you it is much lower than the other banks out there !!

@tsk - as square cut said the EMI's get fixed once you take the loan , but i can suggest another way out .Go to the bank , take a loan of the original stipulated amount . Initially give out pdc for only 12 months or less .After a year or so if u have say Rs 50k or 1 lac in hand pay that amount . The bank walla will recalculate the new EMI and ask u to hand out the new pdc as per the new EMI.I have not tired this but I dont think there should be any problem regarding this . The only benefit here is that once your EMI gets changed the uncleared cheques of the previous EMI become useless and you have to go thru a formal process of getting back the uncleared cheques + You also end up wasting leaflets of your cheque book if you give out all the pdc's at one go . I hope I am clear ...
Old 25th May 2007, 14:32   #51
Team-BHP Support

I plan to give ECS or go DD route. HDFC bank keeps on rejecting 50% of my cheques as "Signature does not match".
So I will open a saving account in that bank with 1000rs minimum balance and use our Dear RBI to transfer the EMI to that bank every month. simple
I would like it if number of EMIs lessened, rather than each EMI lessened.
Old 25th May 2007, 14:43   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I plan to give ECS or go DD route. HDFC bank keeps on rejecting 50% of my cheques as "Signature does not match".
So I will open a saving account in that bank with 1000rs minimum balance and use our Dear RBI to transfer the EMI to that bank every month. simple
I would like it if number of EMIs lessened, rather than each EMI lessened.

You can get your EMi's lessened , go for a shorter duration loan , they will recalculate everything then , they might even take processing charges but not sure how much
Old 27th May 2007, 01:14   #53
BHPian

hi, am planning to go in for a new car through finance. Tata motors has an offer of 8.99% but in that case no discounts and only basic accessories. The other one at 13.75% you get the discounts and some other accessories. And the discounts reduce if I get my own finance from SBI or elsewhere.. Any ideas what rates of interest are currently going around. I wouldnt mind a zero interest loan with shorter duration and higher EMIs. thanks!
Old 6th June 2007, 16:29   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimz View Post
hi, am planning to go in for a new car through finance. Tata motors has an offer of 8.99% but in that case no discounts and only basic accessories. The other one at 13.75% you get the discounts and some other accessories. And the discounts reduce if I get my own finance from SBI or elsewhere.. Any ideas what rates of interest are currently going around. I wouldnt mind a zero interest loan with shorter duration and higher EMIs. thanks!
Hi Nimz the discounts will reduce if you opt for any other bank because all dealers have started giving a discount on the upfront payment . So if u go to another bank that discount is not available !!However the dealer and the company discount will always be available irrespective of the finance scheme. The current rates vary from 11.5 % to 16 % max . Take your pick
Old 6th June 2007, 17:14   #55
BHPian

UTI Bank has entered the Car Loan market and is quite aggressive. I have an offer from them for 11.77% interest rate for a 5 year loan for Maruti Swift VDi.
The thumb rule - everything is bargainable and one should evaluate 2-3 offers before deciding.
My piece of advise - Dont fall for the discount & finance payouts stuff - Just get the following details clear in every offer that you get:
(a) Down Payment : This is your immediate cash flow. So be very clear how much you can afford to give away!
(b) EMI - This is more important than interest rates (since these can be manipulated in all sorts of ways). The EMI amount is what will go from your pocket every month.
Old 26th June 2007, 17:40   #56
BHPian

i feel its always better to ask for the emi amount and bargain on that. Normally they quote less interest rate, but sometimes it will turnout that the emi they quote is quite more. Its always better to ask them for the emi and then start bargaining.
Old 18th September 2007, 16:04   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by babureddy View Post
i feel its always better to ask for the emi amount and bargain on that. Normally they quote less interest rate, but sometimes it will turnout that the emi they quote is quite more. Its always better to ask them for the emi and then start bargaining.
If you can bargain then one should always go for it, but for banks like SBI banks there rates are already among the lowest , no hidden costs and good efficient service ( atleast pretty decent in Kolkata) .There was no bargaining with them there .

@ceebeezee - UTI has been in the car loan market for 3 to 4 years now and yes you can bragian with these guys , One of my colleagues did so and nearly matched SBI :-) !! BUT UTI has higher forclosure rates where he could not bargain at all.
Old 19th September 2007, 20:01   #58

Does any one have any data around the step up loans and bullet payment options advertised by ICICI? I understand this generally as a concept but wanted some more data points like how much does a EMI come down if we opt for a bullet payment of say x amount at end of year etc.

I plan to call up the dealers for details later but wanted any behind the scenes data so that I could be prepared with the right questions to ask.
Old 5th October 2007, 13:07   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

10.5% on reducing balance... is it a good rate or are they better around?
Old 5th October 2007, 15:38   #60
BANNED

Now no is below 12.5% i got it mine for 10.5 from PNB but waiting period of Swift DDiS screwed my rates and before getting it it shooted for another 2% but still i am getting better deal then SBI i.e. 12.75% that too after corporate discount.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks