Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2022, 18:11   #1396
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: No Claim Bonus - How to save on your insurance premiums!

If I sell my old car to the same dealer from where I am buying the new car, how does this NCB thing works?

The insurance company is asking for some Form 29 and Form 30, to issue an NCB certificate, but as per Dealer (Hyundai) they don't give this Form.
anirudhbb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2022, 19:48   #1397
Senior - BHPian

form 29 and 30 are transfer of ownership forms. It is not essential to get an NCB endorsement. You get a Third party policy for the old car and get the NCB endorsement from the Insurance company.You can use that NCB on the new comprehensive policy of your new car.
Old 17th June 2022, 19:06   #1398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
form 29 and 30 are transfer of ownership forms. It is not essential to get an NCB endorsement. You get a Third party policy for the old car and get the NCB endorsement from the Insurance company.You can use that NCB on the new comprehensive policy of your new car.
Message from ICICI Lombard -

With reference to your e-mail regarding the policy number, we wish to inform you that after selling the car than only we can issue the letter.

Thing is, I want the NCB thingy to get applied while I am buying the car so that the overall car price comes down.

Hyundai said they will not give any payment for the used car but deduct directly from the total bill value of the new car.

Hence confused about the sequence of events.
Old 17th June 2022, 20:57   #1399
rrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by anirudhbb View Post

With reference to your e-mail regarding the policy number, we wish to inform you that after selling the car than only we can issue the letter.

Thing is, I want the NCB thingy to get applied while I am buying the car so that the overall car price comes down.

Hyundai said they will not give any payment for the used car but deduct directly from the total bill value of the new car.

Hence confused about the sequence of events.
The following worked for me in the past but for 2-wheeler. You can give it a try as well:
1. Tell your current insurance provider that you are switching to new insurance for your car and need NCB letter
2. they can only ask for new insurance copy. You can buy basic/cheap insurance for some other provider and send it across. The rest will follow thru

Note that insurance is for the vehicle but NCB is for the driver. They cannot insist on selling the car for issuing NCB letter while you want to switch insurance provider.
rrk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2022, 21:04   #1400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

This is wrong. You need not sell the car to get an NCB endorsement. You can convert your policy to third party and get it. The NCB endorsement is valid for 3 years
Old 21st June 2022, 19:11   #1401
BHPian

Quote:
This is wrong. You need not sell the car to get an NCB endorsement. You can convert your policy to third party and get it. The NCB endorsement is valid for 3 years
Third-party as in, it's no more comprehensive?

Quote:
Hyundai used-car division is saying, if I claim NCB then will deduct 5k from the car price they agreed to buy on, as it's no more comprehensive policy.

All this is such a hassle, constant haggling.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 21st June 2022 at 21:05. Reason: Merged consecutive posts.
Old 22nd June 2022, 16:42   #1402
BHPian

Has anyone transferred the NCB from the old policy to the new policy AFTER the new policy was issued ?
I am not sure if this is even possible.

i.e. Chronology of events in my case.

1. I sold my old car to an intermediary agency ( had 50% NCB ).
2. Purchased new car + New Insurance policy ( Zero NCB ).
3. Then I got the NCB Cert from the old Insurance company.
4. Now can I have the new existing policy be updated with this NCB ?
Old 22nd June 2022, 17:41   #1403
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Has anyone transferred the NCB from the old policy to the new policy AFTER the new policy was issued ?
I am not sure if this is even possible.

i.e. Chronology of events in my case.

1. I sold my old car to an intermediary agency ( had 50% NCB ).
2. Purchased new car + New Insurance policy ( Zero NCB ).
3. Then I got the NCB Cert from the old Insurance company.
4. Now can I have the new existing policy be updated with this NCB ?
Unfortunately, you can't transfer it now. You should have applied the NCB from old car to the new car before buying the insurance of the new car. Now you can opt for the amount equal to the NCB and will have started from zero NCB.

Ideally, you should have got an endorsement of the applicable NCB from the Insurance co and had you purchased the insurance for the new car from the same Insurance co the NCB application would have been far easier.

Quote:
No need to convert the policy to 3rd party. NCB endorsement works well during buying a new car insurance. And no NCB endorsement is not valid for 3 yrs, its the NCB certificate which is valid till 3 yrs.

Last edited by Turbanator : 25th June 2022 at 11:01. Reason: Back to Back posts merged.
ghodlur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2022, 19:20   #1404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Third-party as in, it's no more comprehensive?
Hyundai used-car division is saying, if I claim NCB then will deduct 5k from the car price they agreed to buy on, as it's no more comprehensive policy.
All this is such a hassle, constant haggling.
There is no rationale or logic for deducting any amount for the old car for it not having a comprehensive policy, because NCB is for the individual and not for the vehicle.the new owner will not get the benefit of the NCB in your policy. It is seen that many dealerships are not happy with people coming with 50 percent NCB , for obvious reasons
Old 23rd June 2022, 19:00   #1405
BHPian

Quote:
How do I convert to a third party? How different is this from comprehensive? Current insurance is valid till Oct'22.

I sold to Hyundai dealer as an exchange, Form 29-30 they will get ONLY when they find a Buyer. I have got the Purchase Agreement and Delivery Note.

When Hyundai sells the car, I guess they will sell with a new insurance and if I don't claim NCB, they will claim and pocket the difference?
Old 23rd June 2022, 19:16   #1406
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How do I convert to a third party? How different is this from comprehensive? Current insurance is valid till Oct'22.
When Hyundai sells the car, I guess they will sell with a new insurance and if I don't claim NCB, they will claim and pocket the difference?
Which is your present insurer ? is it public sector insurance company or private.
I have heard that public insurance Development officers are very helpful with their customers in the case of NCB etc. Did you talk to the concerned officer?
what is your present NCB? Since it is valid till October 2022 you would have to repay the apportionate NCB claimed to get the NCB.
Old 23rd June 2022, 19:24   #1407
BHPian

ICICI Lombard.

Policy valid till Oct'22. Have 50% NCB.
Old 24th June 2022, 19:25   #1408
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ICICI Lombard.
Policy valid till Oct'22. Have 50% NCB.
That means you have got a very high NCB. So please do talk to the officer concerned personally and get it sorted. This NCB will help you get good benefit when you upgrade to higher value cars
ajay99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2022, 21:26   #1409
BHPian

Yup. I hear you.

Any idea from Rs 78k which is what I am paying, post NCB how much can it come down to potentially?

Is there any transparency on the benefit applied due to NCB?
Old 25th June 2022, 00:10   #1410
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yup. I hear you.

Any idea from Rs 78k which is what I am paying, post NCB how much can it come down to potentially?

Is there any transparency on the benefit applied due to NCB?
NCB is directly applied to own damage premium (and not applicable on third party portion). So if you have a quote then you can calculate the benefits. I am guessing it would be in the range for 15-20k give or take
Aviator_guy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks