Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2022, 16:22   #1426
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: No Claim Bonus - How to save on your insurance premiums!

Quote:
Originally Posted by naru80 View Post
Please help!

I had an Acko policy for my i10. I sold the car just before the policy expired in June.

Yesterday when i called Acko, they said the NCB certificate is issued only uptil 90 days after the expiry of the policy.

This was a shock since I had checked with Acko before selling and i was told the NCB would be valid for 3 years. At that time they did not mention about the 90-day limit.

I had a 50% NCB. They are willing to send an email attesting that there was no claim in the last year but won't issue a certificate. Is there any way I can still avail the NCB when i buy a new car?
NCB Certificate is valid for 3 years once issued. I think the confusion seems to be that you are asking them to issue the certificate after 90 days post policy expiration which they may not be willing to do.

Are you buying the car in very near future. Then you can explore Acko itself for insurance if they can provide you the NCB benefits. That's one option I can think of. Otherwise you can escalate it to the Acko higher ups.

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 22nd December 2022 at 16:24.
Old 22nd December 2022, 17:41   #1427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
NCB Certificate is valid for 3 years once issued. I think the confusion seems to be that you are asking them to issue the certificate after 90 days post policy expiration which they may not be willing to do.
Yes, this is exactly the case. Is it the law or is this at the discretion of the insurer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
Are you buying the car in very near future. Then you can explore Acko itself for insurance if they can provide you the NCB benefits. That's one option I can think of. Otherwise you can escalate it to the Acko higher ups.
I have escalated it but i don't know anyone at Acko. Looking for suggestions for other options.
Old 12th January 2023, 17:14   #1428
BHPian

I need help with NCB.
I bought a used car last April. After purchase, I had transferred the insurance to my name. During this process I had to return the NCB of the previous owner. My question is during the renewal of the policy for the next year, am i eligible for a 20% NCB as i did not claim during my ownership period of 8 months.
Old 12th January 2023, 17:52   #1429
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meph1st0 View Post
My question is during the renewal of the policy for the next year, am i eligible for a 20% NCB as i did not claim during my ownership period of 8 months.
Could be wrong but I believe it becomes applicable after a full calendar year, i.e. 12 months, and not for a broken period.
itwasntme is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2023, 22:18   #1430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Could be wrong but I believe it becomes applicable after a full calendar year, i.e. 12 months, and not for a broken period.
Thanks, even i heard the same, that I will be eligible for 20% NCB during my next renewal which will be roughly 20 months of ownership in my case.

Another general question - after transferring the insurance to buyer's name, can the buyer then surrender the insurance, claim refund of pro rata amount and get a new policy. This can avoid this NCB problem.
Old 13th January 2023, 09:53   #1431
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meph1st0 View Post
Thanks, even i heard the same, that I will be eligible for 20% NCB during my next renewal which will be roughly 20 months of ownership in my case.

Another general question - after transferring the insurance to buyer's name, can the buyer then surrender the insurance, claim refund of pro rata amount and get a new policy. This can avoid this NCB problem.
Before taking this trouble, please calculate the NCB benefit you'd get since it is a used car and actual NCB benefit may not be significant savings vs going thru the process of surrender and buying new insurance.
Old 8th February 2023, 08:21   #1432
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Quoting and correcting myself in this specific case. We had bought a Q3 last month which was insured by the seller under a 50% NCB with Bajaj Allianz (BA). We were also in possession of our own BA 50% NCB reservation letter from the sale of our Octavia 4 months back.

I initially was sure I could not apply my 50% NCB in the current insurance (i.e. during transfer into my name), and would be able to do it only next year, i.e. the first 'full' year. However, to my pleasant surprise, BA readily agreed to apply our letter, and hence we ended up paying only the standard IRDA (~160) charge.

Of course, the Q3 was minutely examined by the BA assessor as per their usual protocol, and a zillion pictures taken and uploaded with geotagging. Was impressed by the professional integrated process.

Anyway, a lesson is that never take things for granted, and do NOT take insurance agent shpiel at face value. It is not in their interest to process these NCBs and they make no money on it. Approach your insurer's local office directly.

Net net, we saved close to 7K
Old 13th February 2023, 18:44   #1433
BHPian

I am planning to buy a new car in my name(must because of BH number) and sell my father's old car, can I carry NCB of my father's car in my new car?
Old 13th February 2023, 19:27   #1434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstraind View Post
I am planning to buy a new car in my name(must because of BH number) and sell my father's old car, can I carry NCB of my father's car in my new car?
NCB is person specific and can not be transferred to anyone else, even to immediate family member.
Aviator_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2023, 19:44   #1435
BHPian

RE: ARTICLE: No Claim Bonus - How to save on your insurance premiums!

Its been a while I sent across a mail to Bajaj Allianz seeking a NCB reservation for my car which I sold out to Cars24.

I was advised by their call center to to attach my current valid insurance and car delivery note in the mail to their help desk while seeking the NCB certificate. I did just the same.

BAGIC on their part have sent me copies of insurance policies of I don't know how many cars. On level I escalation, they sent me a mail stating that they have not initiated any recovery against my policy. Any ideas on how to get the NCB certificate from BAGIC? I did not come across any specific forms or mail id for the same.
Old 14th February 2023, 11:27   #1436
BHPian

Cross-posting from my ownership thread on my recent experience for NCB transfer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldian View Post
Update: NCB applied

I enquired ICICI Lombard before sale of my previous vehicle for NCB transfer requirements and here were my options.
[1] Provide transferred RC copy
[2] Provide a copy of form 29 and 30 stamped by RTO as a true certified copy submitted, along with copy of insurance in the name of purchaser
[3] Provide signed and stamped sale letter / delivery receipt from the dealer for NCB reserving letter, if sold through a dealer.

During my last car exchange 5 years ago (and pervious ones before that), I had actually first insured my outgoing car as 3rd party insurance only, cancelled remaining tenure of comprehensive cover, got remaining tenure insurance amount refunded with some deductions and was provided with NCB certificate. But ICICI Lombard is now giving NCB only in above options meaning I cant now have NCB certificate without actually selling the vehicle. When asked to confirm in writing, they did send me an email confirmation. So, I have to kiss-off my remaining duration cover refund and sign insurance transfer papers along with RC transfer set that dealer car exchange lead needed me to sign.

Since, the dealer was same as car was being given in exchange I went with option 3, and I was vigilant towards a copy of these documents with proper stamp and signatures. I promptly placed a request with insurer for NCB reserving letter and was given 15 working days promise for it. After a little follow up post deadline, I was provided with NCB reserving letter.

Asked Hyundai dealer sales lead to facilitate handover of NCB reserving letter to insurance team. After a couple of days I got endorsement letter for NCB value as 50% and after around 15 days of request, I got refund of own damage prorated for remaining duration.

After some follow-up and time investment, I was able to apply NCB and save some money, which in effect, can have some recurrent saving effect till actually my new policy would have attained 50% NCB status.

God, I miss those days when NCB used to go upto 65% !!!
Old 26th February 2023, 11:56   #1437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYBOYSID View Post
Its been a while I sent across a mail to Bajaj Allianz seeking a NCB reservation for my car which I sold out to Cars24.

I was advised by their call center to to attach my current valid insurance and car delivery note in the mail to their help desk while seeking the NCB certificate. I did just the same.

BAGIC on their part have sent me copies of insurance policies of I don't know how many cars. On level I escalation, they sent me a mail stating that they have not initiated any recovery against my policy. Any ideas on how to get the NCB certificate from BAGIC? I did not come across any specific forms or mail id for the same.
HELP!!! Anybody who has had any success with getting a NCB certificate from Bajaj Allianz. Their helpdesk asked me to visit the branch in response to my application seeking NCB certificate. Visited the branch with all relevant papers and the personnel there advised me to send a mail to the helpdesk. As per them NCB certificate will be issued online only. After multiple visits and correspondence, these people seem as clueless as me.

I don't know what I am missing here. Any gen/ gyaan on subject is welcome. Please
Old 6th March 2023, 18:54   #1438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYBOYSID View Post
HELP!!! Anybody who has had any success with getting a NCB certificate from Bajaj Allianz...... After multiple visits and correspondence, these people seem as clueless as me.
My friend, always first try to ask nicely and then with a sugarcoated threat of IRDA. They should help. 'saam daam dand bhed' strategy.
If they dont budge-
Please approach GRO of Bajaj Allianz quoting all correspondance to date. This information should be available on their website and all offices publicly visible as per law. Take written acknowledgemnt of your complaint. If that doesnt help, after 2 weeks complain to IRDA

Register complaint directly in of IRDAI's online portal - Bima Bharosa System- https://bimabharosa.irdai.gov.in/
Send the complaint through Email to complaints@irdai.gov.in
hp52_vishy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2023, 08:40   #1439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
Since I did this as recent as 4 months ago here are the things
  • When selling your car be careful about the page where you sign on transferring the NCB. I thought NCB was non-transferable, yet the dealers had a page in the booklet that I signed for selling the car. The booklet is nothing but a collection of various RTO forms and one of the pages was authorizing a transfer of NCB !
  • Do not tell the dealer anything about NBC transfer until you work out the details of your new car purchase. For example if he is giving the insurance free, take it and later you can apply the NCB and get the refund
  • Immediately after selling the car or better just before signing the dotted lines, apply for an NCB reservation letter from your insurer and protect your NCB. Tell your insurer that you have sold the vehicle and you need an NCB reservation letter. You need to have a hard copy of the same as the new insurer typically expects it. Do NOT skimp on this.
  • If you are doing insurance on your own, first negotiate a good price and then provide the NCB certificate for further mark down on price.
  • If you already have the insurance certificate issued, do not fret, reach out to the new insurer, submit the NCB certificate and get a refund. If you choose something like a group insurance policy like Hyundai Assured Protect, this is the way to go and you have to go through the car dealers.
  • Follow up on getting the refund and updation of your insurance certificate with NCB.
  • If you got the insurance issued already. dealers / agents might some time give you crap like you can use your NCB reservation letter to claim NCB when you renew next year, dont fall for that trap. Yes the NCB certificate is valid for a period of 3 years from date of issuance. But if you make any claims on the new insurance before NCB transfer, your reservation letter becomes useless. You never know what happens in a year
Hello, I'm new here.II have a small question.

I had my Baleno RS from 2017, that I got insured 2022 March from HDFC ERGO with NCB protection addon package. The terms and conditions that i was explained was that, upto 2 claims per year, would not reset my NCB, which is right now at 45%. Unfortunately, in January 2023, I met with an accident, where the whole front bumper and the fibre grill along with radiator and AC condenser had to be replaced. But hey i have NCB protection right? Yeah, i made a claim, somehow Maruti workshop brought the bill upto 48k. 46k was covered by the insurance and i paid the rest.

I just sold the vehicle couple of days back, for 5.6L to an individual. As i had gone through this thread, i was and currently am determined to get my NCB for the next car I'm going to buy.

I took the form 29/30, delivery note and the acknowledgement given by RTO to HDFC ERGO office and the executive there, is telling me that since I have made a claim, the NCB can't be transferred. My argument has been since I have the NCB protection addon, there should be no problem in retaining NCB and transferring it to my next vehicle.

I want to know if the insurance executive is trying to fool me. Please help.
Old 13th March 2023, 10:53   #1440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
Since I did this as recent as 4 months ago here are the things

• Immediately after selling the car or better just before signing the dotted lines, apply for an NCB reservation letter from your insurer and protect your NCB. Tell your insurer that you have sold the vehicle and you need an NCB reservation letter. You need to have a hard copy of the same as the new insurer typically expects it. Do NOT skimp on this.
I have not been successful at this with pvt insurance player. When I asked for NCB Letter, the insurance company insisted on proof of sale in the form of updated RC, even though I had delivery note from the dealer where I exchanged my car. I kept following up, shared delivery note multiple times but no response from the company other than asking for updated RC. I gave up finally!

How doed one get the NCB Letter in such cases where we sell through portal like Cars24 or exchange at dealership since RC update would take months and we can't use the NCB for new car if purchased before old car RC transfer is complete.

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 13th March 2023 at 11:09.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks