Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2021, 17:59   #1261
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: No Claim Bonus - How to save on your insurance premiums!

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
I'm looking for a used sedan and would like to apply my unused 30% NCB letter when I buy it.

Wanted some advice on the same. Any used car will have an existing policy on it either at a full 100% or with some form of NCB on it. Usually the buyer has to pay the NCB discount to the insurance company to have the policy transferred in his name.

Can I apply my existing certificate at that point?
Yes, when you initiate the transfer process, the provider does asks if the new owner has any ncb certificate to be used.
D'Ro@dSt@r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 12:52   #1262
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'm looking for a used sedan and would like to apply my unused 30% NCB letter when I buy it.
Quoting my own post. Bought an used car last week, but the insurer is refusing application of my unused NCB letter on the grounds that it can be applied only during renewal time, and not during name transfer, i.e. mid-term through the policy.

Is this correct as per IRDA rules?
Old 24th February 2021, 17:02   #1263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quoting my own post. Bought an used car last week, but the insurer is refusing application of my unused NCB letter on the grounds that it can be applied only during renewal time, and not during name transfer, i.e. mid-term through the policy.

Yes. You are transferring an existing policy to your name. Hence this position. It has nothing to do with Used car or otherwise. Also as per Vahan rules, you can't cancel the TP Liability portion of a policy already issued.

The premium for current period is already paid for by the original policy holder. I assume, he didn't have any NCB, otherwise insurer would have asked you pay back pro-rata of that NCB

NCB Certificate is Valid for 3 years. You can use it at next renewal, that would be my option

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 24th February 2021 at 17:05.
r_nairtvm is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 19:32   #1264
BHPian

Quote:

I can say this with a lot of confidence that your insurance guys are trying to fool you as I did this process of transferring my old car policy (Acko) to the new owner and I had seen an option of selecting any unused NCB letter from the new owner. If not given then the NCB will reset to Zero and the additional amount payable would be shown.
Since the new owner didnt had any NCB letter to be used, I didnt submitted any and he had to pay additional amount to complete the transfer.
Attaching a screenshot for your reference.
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: No Claim Bonus - How to save on your insurance premiums!-screenshot_20210224192755__01.jpg  

D'Ro@dSt@r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 10:11   #1265
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Ro@dSt@r View Post
.... I had seen an option of selecting any unused NCB letter from the new owner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Yes.
NCB Certificate is Valid for 3 years. You can use it at next renewal, that would be my option
Guys, now I am totally confused. Can I apply my NCB on my recently purchased used car or not? As I did it through an online/offline process with Tata AIG, I was not provided any option like what D'Ro@dSt@r states.
Old 25th February 2021, 10:31   #1266
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, now I am totally confused. Can I apply my NCB on my recently purchased used car or not? As I did it through an online/offline process with Tata AIG, I was not provided any option like what D'Ro@dSt@r states.
Dont get overstressed with this buddy
I would suggest try and speak to the customer service team and check if they allow that. If not then, get the policy transferred without the ncb and then after a few weeks, send them the ncb letter to get that updated.
I am getting the ncb updated for my new car policy with Digit and they initially mentioned that it can only be done at the next renewal, but I tried my luck and sent them the ncb letter. Got a call from their team yesterday and they confirmed that they will get the ncb updated and share the refund amount in a few days time.
Ofcourse all insurance companies have their own ways of interpreting the IRDA rules.
Hope this helps.
D'Ro@dSt@r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 10:57   #1267
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Ro@dSt@r View Post
Dont get overstressed with this buddy
I would suggest try and speak to the customer service team and check if they allow that. If not then, get the policy transferred without the ncb and then after a few weeks, send them the ncb letter to get that updated.
Already done. But I am now fairly certain it is for new cars only as per this IRDA FAQ:
https://www.policyholder.gov.in/Faql...?CategoryId=78

Scrolled down to see this (highlights mine):

Q. What is "No Claim Bonus"?
A.
No Claim Bonus (NCB) is the benefit accrued to an insured for not making any claims during the previous policy period. As per current norms in India, it ranges from 20% on the Own Damage premium (and not on Liability premium) and progressively increases to a maximum of 50%.

If, however, a claim is lodged, the No Claim Bonus is lost in the subsequent policy period.

NCB is given to the insured and not to the insured vehicle. Hence, on transfer of the vehicle, the insurance policy can be transferred to new owner but not the NCB. The new owner has to pay the difference on account of NCB for the balance policy period.The original owner can, however, use the NCB on a new vehicle purchased by him.
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 18:21   #1268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No Claim Bonus (NCB) is the benefit accrued to an insured for not making any claims during the previous policy period. As per current norms in India, it ranges from 20% on the Own Damage premium (and not on Liability premium) and progressively increases to a maximum of 50%.
Actually it is 65 percent if the Insured was enjoying that percentage of NCB when the IRDA norms came into effect.
Old 25th February 2021, 19:00   #1269
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
Actually it is 65 percent if the Insured was enjoying that percentage of NCB when the IRDA norms came into effect.
My NCB has been intact since 2003 across 7 new vehicles . I missed the 65% rule by a couple of months.
Old 9th March 2021, 17:23   #1270
BHPian

I'll be buying a new car in a few days. The dealer is tied up with Reliance, Bharti AXA, Magma & Liberty only. Couple of questions.

Current service provider = Godigit

1. Skoda dealer is strongly pushing to purchase from them. Else at time of claim, cashless & co-ordination with insurance provider will need to be done by me.
2. As per Godigit, since new car's engine capacity is more than current, NCB cannot be transferred. Is this true ? Doesn't make sense.
Old 9th March 2021, 17:39   #1271
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
2. As per Godigit, since new car's engine capacity is more than current, NCB cannot be transferred. Is this true ? Doesn't make sense.
That is not at all correct.NCB has no connection whatsoever with the engine capacity of the car. Either the private insurer guys you are dealing with has no idea about the rules or else they are trying to fool you.
Why dont you transfer your insurance to one of the PSU insurance companies.
ajay99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 18:42   #1272
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'll be buying a new car in a few days. The dealer is tied up with Reliance, Bharti AXA, Magma & Liberty only. Couple of questions.

Current service provider = Godigit

1. Skoda dealer is strongly pushing to purchase from them. Else at time of claim, cashless & co-ordination with insurance provider will need to be done by me.
Complete rubbish on both points!

Tell GoDigit to provide it to you in writing/email, and they can get badly rammed by IRDA. Just for this scam attempt, please move away (with your NCB letter), and write to their top management exactly why you're leaving them.

As for Skoda, please get competing quotes and ask Skoda to price-match them. Also do note that Skoda bundles schemes like Skoda Shield etc. into their insurance, so ask them what extra are they offering?
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 18:59   #1273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
Why dont you transfer your insurance to one of the PSU insurance companies.
I don't want to mess with the dealer especially when we are dealing with a car worth 40L. I can hold them responsible tomorrow at the time of a claim.

Quote:
Complete rubbish on both points!
Dealer is now saying that while NCB% will be incorporated into the new insurance, the overall cost of insurance will remain unchanged . Why ? They want to reach their target. I'm not letting go of 45% NCB so easily. We'll get there eventually.
Old 9th March 2021, 20:55   #1274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't want to mess with the dealer especially when we are dealing with a car worth 40L. I can hold them responsible tomorrow at the time of a claim.
Why do you think you will get better service due to this?
Old 9th March 2021, 21:06   #1275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Why do you think you will get better service due to this?
I'm open to suggestions

I don't have much experience in the claims area. I've claimed just once in my 20 yrs of driving that too just for the front bumper and headlights. That in itself is a strong indicator that I won't be needing their services and can go with the service provider of my choice. On the other hand, 40L is at stake so rather play it safe I'm thinking. As you can tell, I'm in 2 minds.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks