Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2013, 22:20   #286
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply Jignesh.
The car is actually owned by my cousin who is planning to get a bigger ride for himself.
The tires are actually pretty new though i dont exactly remember the brand.
Old 9th January 2013, 11:40   #287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch-Angel View Post
The car is actually owned by my cousin who is planning to get a bigger ride for himself. The tires are actually pretty new though i dont exactly remember the brand.
Hello Arch-Angel,

Oh! The Car is currently owned by your cousin, which means that you are sure of how well he has maintained the Car & most important there is no doubt in mind (like whether it will be a accidental car or ODO meter will be tampered, etc).

In this case I will strongly advise to buy the Car as you know the owner very well & you will save couple of lacs of rupees (as good Diesel hatchbacks cost more than Rs. 6.5 lacs). Most important you will have a feeling & joy of driving a sedan car.

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2013, 17:47   #288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Hello Arch-Angel,

Oh! The Car is currently owned by your cousin, which means that you are sure of how well he has maintained the Car & most important there is no doubt in mind (like whether it will be a accidental car or ODO meter will be tampered, etc).

In this case I will strongly advise to buy the Car as you know the owner very well & you will save couple of lacs of rupees (as good Diesel hatchbacks cost more than Rs. 6.5 lacs). Most important you will have a feeling & joy of driving a sedan car.

Thanks,
Hi jignesh,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
I did inspect the vehicle sometime back. As far as my cousin's driving is concerned, he never rides on the clutch, always brings the vehicle to neutral on signals and uses the handbrake whenever waiting so that vehice doesn't roll. He has maintained the vehicle diligently. The externals have taken a slight beating due to irresponsible bikers who have at times rested on the sides of the cars because of their inability to balance their 2-wheelers .

Last edited by Arch-Angel : 9th January 2013 at 18:04. Reason: removed a part of the post
Old 10th January 2013, 11:39   #289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch-Angel View Post
He has maintained the vehicle diligently. The externals have taken a slight beating due to irresponsible bikers who have at times rested on the sides of the cars because of their inability to balance their 2-wheelers .
Hello Arch-Angel,

Buying a used car from a known person who you know has maintained the Car properly is the best option you can get.

I have myself bought couple of used cars from Dealers & everytime there was some issue smartly covered by Dealer only for me to discover after couple of weeks.

Thus as I suggested in earlier post, I strongly recommend you to buy this Car. Wish you all the very best.

Thanks,
Old 1st February 2013, 12:06   #290
BHPian

Thanks a lot for such an informative thread. It helps a lot. Well I have been a Team-Bhpian since quite a long time now but I was more of a silent reader and never posted much. But now I need some help from the experts.

I am planning to buy a brand new Hyundai EON but I always believed that if you can find a good deal in the used cars market you can save quite a lot of money. Í have been to the Hyundai showroom and have taken the test drive of the Eon. With all the discounts etc Hyundai Eon Magna+ would cost me ~Rs. 410000/- OTR Mumbai.

My office is at Andheri and there's a Mahindra First Choice outlet just opposite to my office. For the past few days I saw a good condition Chevrolet Beat LT parked there by First Choice which is for sale. I enquired bout the car and it's a May 2011 model.

My query is, I read in this article, in the first couple of pages that even the authorised dealers who sell Certified cars are known for cheating and tampering the mechanicals of the cars, docuemnts etc. Can the experts and/or someone who has bought car through First choice tell me how's the experience with First Choice? Are they reliable? Can I consider buying a car from them? Because I am really considering this Beat LT over the brand new Hyundai Eon.

Your help and advice will be highly appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance.

--
Ketan Nikharge.
Old 13th February 2013, 01:38   #291
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan_R15 View Post

My query is, I read in this article, in the first couple of pages that even the authorised dealers who sell Certified cars are known for cheating and tampering the mechanicals of the cars, docuemnts etc. Can the experts and/or someone who has bought car through First choice tell me how's the experience with First Choice? Are they reliable? Can I consider buying a car from them? Because I am really considering this Beat LT over the brand new Hyundai Eon.

Your help and advice will be highly appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance.

--
Ketan Nikharge.
I would recommend insisting on verifying the full service history of any car you wish to buy. It would help you determine the authenticity of the odo, as well as avoid any lemons. If the car has a clean complete service record, the dealer/individual should not shy away from letting you verify it. If they do hesitate, something fishy there.

Also, check these threads about first choice.

Old 14th February 2013, 01:08   #292
BHPian

I have bought 10 cars for my family, relatives and even recommended my friends to MFC, Goregaon, Mumbai. Apart from normal expenditure like serverly worn/cracked tires and some suspension parts replacement, nothing serious has ever cropped up. My last car bought from MFC was a 2006 Wagon R LX, second owner, run genuine 43000 kms, for Rs 130000. Tires needed to be replaced instantly, tierods and lower arms replacement a fortnight later. I have never got pre delivery check up by any mechanic on any of the cars. Bought 3 Indicas, petrol and diesel. Same replacements but never a fuss or breakdown on the road. One car was such a precise buy that even tires, battery, suspension didn't invite any spares. It is a matter of trust that carries on on future purchases. However, one car did gave us suspicions about odometer rigging. MFC rule is simple, if the price of the vehicle is way too low than prevalent market price than the odo is definitely tampered. Many times the sales guy says openly about it. One Indica bought in 2010 was in showroom condition, owned by Tata power for corporate executives. The plastic seat covers were intact, run very less, spoke to the owner before paying, and very good deal till the end of its ownership. This car didn't require one Paisa maintenance till a year and then suspension bushing set. Other minor issues while buying different cars from MFC were missing stephanie tyre, got a Hyundai accent tyre in a swift desire. Later got it changed. One car had a small accident, front right fender repainted. But they say and sell it. Always bought cars after dark and drove it for 200 kms non-stop. The work place and residence is far away. Never failed with MFC. Their paperwork is good, they get the entire RTO forms signed by the owner properly. They themselves check about stolen and accident cars and then put them for sale. They have their own RTO form MFC printed booklet, clearly stating the inward dealing particulars like date of purchase from the owner and the true price at which bought. Bank NOC papers have always been in order. Lastly, buying from MFC or from any pre owned car dealer does not equate with buying vegetables and grocery. Buyer has to keep all senses in proper order before finalizing. There are various ways to calculate approximate kilometres done, experienced buying can give that sixth sense.

List of cars purchased, personal, relatives and friends from MFC, Mumbai

Tata Indica V2 LSi in 2007, model 2004 Rs 90000, sold for 75000
Tata Indica V2 LSi in 2009, model 2005 Rs 92000, sold for 80000
Xeta GLX in 2010, model 2008, Rs 125000, sold for Rs 110000
Wagon R LX in 2010, model 2006 for Rs 130000, sold for Rs 115000
Swift VXi in 2011, model 2006 for Rs 203000, still running
Honda city GXi model 2007, Rs 245000, bought in 2010 still running
Indigo dicor in 2012, model 2008, for Rs 250000, sold for Rs 233000
Indigo cs in Jan 2013, model 2010 for Rs 346000, just enjoying the almost new purchase.

Last edited by dr.faramroze : 14th February 2013 at 01:35.
dr.faramroze is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2013, 18:02   #293
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Arch-Angel,

Buying a used car from a known person who you know has maintained the Car properly is the best option you can get.

I have myself bought couple of used cars from Dealers & everytime there was some issue smartly covered by Dealer only for me to discover after couple of weeks.

Thus as I suggested in earlier post, I strongly recommend you to buy this Car. Wish you all the very best.

Thanks,
Hi Jignesh,

Quick question. My uncle is selling his 2005 City Automatic which has clocked 50000 kms. The car is in great condition and I have always had my eyes on it. He says "You quote the price". I saw 2005 models listed online for 2.50 lacs. But I don't know what I should be quoting for a 2005 auto. Need your expert opinion.
Old 20th February 2013, 18:11   #294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikrantD View Post
. My uncle is selling his 2005 City Automatic which has clocked 50000 kms. The car is in great condition He says "You quote the price". I saw 2005 models listed online for 2.50 lacs. But I don't know what I should be quoting for a 2005 auto. Can someone please help me here?
Hello Vikrant,

The best thing about this Car is you know for sure that it is very well maintained & ODO reading of 50000 is genuine.

You can quote Rs. 2.25 lacs for this Car & I believe your Uncle will accept the offer. This is so because, used car dealers will not offer him more than Rs. 2 lacs for this Car.

Hope you understand that this being a automatic car, mileage will be on lower side while driving in city traffic conditions.

Thanks,
Old 20th February 2013, 18:15   #295
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Vikrant,

The best thing about this Car is you know for sure that it is very well maintained & ODO reading of 50000 is genuine.

You can quote Rs. 2.25 lacs for this Car & I believe your Uncle will accept the offer. This is so because, used car dealers will not offer him more than Rs. 2 lacs for this Car.

Hope you understand that this being a automatic car, mileage will be on lower side while driving in city traffic conditions.

Thanks,
Hey Jignesh,

Thanks for replying. Yeah, I know the auto will be low on mileage. But how much? maybe 1-2 kms difference. I guess it won't be a whole lot as auto's are actually pretty good.

Oh great, then I shall also offer him 2 lacs.
Old 20th February 2013, 18:42   #296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikrantD View Post

Hey Jignesh,

Thanks for replying. Yeah, I know the auto will be low on mileage. But how much? maybe 1-2 kms difference. I guess it won't be a whole lot as auto's are actually pretty good.

Oh great, then I shall also offer him 2 lacs.
If this is your Uncle's car, then ask for the keys and take it out on spin and go to 3-4 dealers (local and nationalised) then see how much do they quote. At the same time, on some other day, visit a few dealers and ask for this very same car and model. Take the average of buying and selling amount and give your Uncle the middle amount. I did that when I bought my Uncle's activa in 2007.
Old 21st February 2013, 13:12   #297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan_R15 View Post
Can I consider buying a car from them? Because I am really considering this Beat LT over the brand new Hyundai Eon.
Hello Ketan,

Chervolet Beat will definitely a better car than Hyundai Eon. Also since it is May 2011 Car, the ODO reading will be less than 20,000 kms. If they are producing full service history of the car & if Insurance policy has 20% no claim bonus, it will be trustworthy.

But what is the price of the Car that Mahindra FirstChoice is quoting? If it is around Rs. 3.5 lacs, then I will suggest to go for a new Car rather then buying a 1.8 year used Car.

Thanks,
Old 23rd February 2013, 22:36   #298

Need *urgent* help in buying a used car

Hi All,

There's a 2002 model Honda City Exi automatic for sale, also known as Honda Civic in other markets. The odo reading shows 80k kms.

I had the engine and under chassis checked by a Tru Value dealer, he says it is in very good condition and says such cars regularly clock 200k miles in other countries with proper maintenance. The car is very well maintained but dusty and dirty because the owner doesn't know driving and has only been doing regular servicing. Tires are Michelin, new ones. 5 CD changer in the trunk.

Interiors- leather seats which need some cleaning.

Owner wants 1,30,000 Rs, he got an offer of Rs 2.6 lacs from some Arab students but he didn't want to give them for several reasons.

Kindly advise if I should buy this car, people say it's a steal and I can use it in the city and highway. Please advise!!!
Old 24th February 2013, 23:32   #299
BANNED

A relative ( in Chennai) has an Optra Diesel LT, 2009 Dec model which is in immaculate condition.
It has run around 42 thousand km and is scratchless. It has OEM leather seats, brand new Bridgestone tyres and Amaron battery, both changed in the last one month. The car drives like new and he is not keen on selling it but his company insists that he upgrade to a new SUV.
What price should he expect ?
Old 25th February 2013, 08:23   #300

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestarry View Post
A relative ( in Chennai) has an Optra Diesel LT, 2009 Dec model which is in immaculate condition.
It has run around 42 thousand km and is scratchless. It has OEM leather seats, brand new Bridgestone tyres and Amaron battery, both changed in the last one month. The car drives like new and he is not keen on selling it but his company insists that he upgrade to a new SUV.
What price should he expect ?
A friend of mine bought an Optra Magnum 2008 model, 33k kms, like new, for Rs 2.9 lacs in Pune and sold it after driving it for like 10k kms for 2.4 lacs. I think engine and chassis determine the price, ultimately. You can expect a good price if there's no work done on the engine.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks