Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2018, 16:50   #946
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

Cross posting from this thread - Used Car Price check thread
I'm being offered an Alto K10, VXi, 2011 which has run for 30K Kms.
After checking OBV, Carwale I'm kind of OK with the price. I've checked the car and it seems in very good nick. It has two fresh tyres at the front and Insurance is valid till 2019 Feb. The engine seems fine and I had a test drive and felt that the steering was a little bit heavy. The gear changes seemed notchy, however the clutch felt fine.

The current owner happens to work in my same company and is relocating out of Bangalore. Only concern for me is he is the second owner. He bought the car in March 2018 and is selling it off since he is relocating.

What do you guys think? Any other aspects I need to check before going ahead ?
Old 24th August 2018, 16:57   #947
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangre View Post
Cross posting from this thread - Used Car Price check thread
I'm being offered an Alto K10, VXi, 2011 which has run for 30K Kms.
-----snip-----

What do you guys think? Any other aspects I need to check before going ahead ?
You should get the heavy steering and the notchy gearshift checked at a mechanic you trust. If they are indications of a problem, both of these lead to expensive fixes.
Second, do call up Maruti to get the car's service history. 30k in 7-8 years is definitely below average, I would think.
Old 25th August 2018, 11:19   #948
BHPian

What is the norm when it comes to telling a prospective buyer the month/year of a car is it normally the sold date or the manufacturing date? Also is one expected to enter the car purchase month/date or car manufacturing month/date in online used calculators?
Old 27th August 2018, 06:07   #949
BHPian

Came across a Fiesta that’s up for sale. The RC has it written 1.6 S and so is the variant. But the insurance copy mentions that its a 1.4 TDCi ZXI, although the engine and chasis number are the same.

Sounds anything fishy here.? Or is just a name mismatch.? Anyway, I’ll be re-registering this car to Kerala and plans to drive from Bangalore to Kerala (if I make the deal). Will there be aby troubles just in case if I meet with any mishaps on the way.?
Old 27th August 2018, 06:19   #950
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = mc² View Post
Sounds anything fishy here.? Or is just a name mismatch.? Anyway, I’ll be re-registering this car to Kerala and plans to drive from Bangalore to Kerala (if I make the deal). Will there be aby troubles just in case if I meet with any mishaps on the way.?
Name mismatch I guess. If opening the bonnet shows a 1.6 engine you know for sure.

No issues getting the car to Kerala. Re registering it and paying fresh life tax will take you several months. Then getting the tax paid in Bangalore refunded pro rata will take even longer.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2018, 06:46   #951
Team-BHP Support

Hi guys. A few general points I have observed recently.

1. Car dealers seem to offer really erratic prices. When I went to sell my civic a year or more ago (2009 V/AT ~68k Run) a dealer finally bought it for 3 lakh. Another dealer (shreevas marine drive) had only offered me a max of 2.25 lakh. I'm shocked there can be such a huge difference in prices.

2. When it comes to luxury Germán cars I get the impression that dealers keep a really massive margin between buying and selling. Or maybe at least some do more than others. Maybe even 6-8 lakh or so? Does anyone else have any experience on this?

3. How reliable are OBV values in India as a reference point. I tried using them as a benchmark but a dealer rubbished it away.
Old 27th August 2018, 07:16   #952
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Name mismatch I guess. If opening the bonnet shows a 1.6 engine you know for sure.

No issues getting the car to Kerala. Re registering it and paying fresh life tax will take you several months. Then getting the tax paid in Bangalore refunded pro rata will take even longer.
Thank you, hserus

How long will it take for the paperworks in Bangalore.? Currently, I’m working out from the country and would like to fly down to Bangalore just for the deal. Will the paperworks and the mandatory signatures take more than just a few hours.?
Old 27th August 2018, 08:11   #953
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Came across a Fiesta that’s up for sale. The RC has it -----snip---- with any mishaps on the way.?
The premium for a 1.4 is much lower than for the 1.6. I made this mistake while calculating the insurance for me Fiesta last year or something. If you damage the car, or hit someone/thing then you will not get any payout from the company. Be careful while getting her over, and fix the policy as soon as you can.
Might be a mistake, might be intentional. In either case, be careful because though you may pass a traffic cops challan, you are NOT covered.
Old 27th August 2018, 08:42   #954
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you, hserus

How long will it take for the paperworks in Bangalore.? Currently, I’m working out from the country and would like to fly down to Bangalore just for the deal. Will the paperworks and the mandatory signatures take more than just a few hours.?
It will take you several months to do the transfer. Read this thread. Or just see how many pages it has. And then stick to a Kerala car.

Buy that Bangalore car if and only if you have a Bangalore address proof available.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...efund-etc.html
Old 27th August 2018, 10:45   #955
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
In either case, be careful because though you may pass a traffic cops challan, you are NOT covered.
But since the chasis no. is the same, wouldn’t it work.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Buy that Bangalore car if and only if you have a Bangalore address proof available.
The car is a 1.6 S, which is very limited in India and there’s none up for sale in Kerala. I really can’t let go of the car if it is a good example.
Old 27th August 2018, 10:48   #956
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But since the chasis no. is the same, wouldn’t it work.?
No.
You have not paid the premium for car you're driving.
Its an easy way out for the insurer to deny your claim.
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2018, 12:05   #957
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by determinism View Post
What is the norm when it comes to telling a prospective buyer the month/year of a car is it normally the sold date or the manufacturing date?
Manufactured month-year is the most commonly used reference for depreciation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
3. How reliable are OBV values in India as a reference point. I tried using them as a benchmark but a dealer rubbished it away.
Yes, even I do believe luxury segment cars have less demand but huge margins, and hence not many small-medium scale dealers stock them, as there could be scenarios where the car isn't sold for months. Meanwhile, the same amount of profit(by selling 1 luxury car) could be made by selling several swifts and altos.

OBV/IBB/Cars24 online evaluation tools are more accurate for mainstream cars (read as top-15 monthly highest selling cars), as they do have the detailed cost-demand analysis of them being sold and bought in bulk.

Last edited by jetsetgo08 : 27th August 2018 at 12:06.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2018, 12:34   #958
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
Manufactured month-year is the most commonly used reference for depreciation.
I forgot to add one more question. Is the year usually calendar year or financial year(in our case Indian FY).
Old 27th August 2018, 12:53   #959
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by determinism View Post
I forgot to add one more question. Is the year usually calendar year or financial year(in our case Indian FY).
Calendar year with the manufactured month. This can be decoded from the VIN number.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...cture-vin.html
jetsetgo08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2018, 13:43   #960

I am being offered an A4 2018 for 26 Lakh, minimum mileage. Any thoughts on what checks should I take? Its under warranty, insurance valid till Mar 2019

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks