Team-BHP - ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   On buying a car (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying-car/)
-   -   ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying-car/18859-article-how-buy-used-car-india-68.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by saurabhb2000 (Post 4507555)
Sure. thank you . will find out more. However this dealer is a Jeep company dealer that sells new Jeep vehicles as well (not independent dealers)

Okay. :)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...bangalore.html

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...-replaced.html

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...-customer.html

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...d-compass.html

Okay :).. so how can I get this inspected for repaint or accidental damage? Service history if any will have to be relied upon from jeep authorised service center computer records, however service center is owned by same dealer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivek.ks (Post 4507184)
This car has one comment from recent service which has got me worried. It is mentioned that Oil Sump has a dent and needs to be replaced. Enquired casually with Service center and cost goes up to 50k.

I would say it's a good deal since you have the entire service history and it's a less run Toyota. Oil sump dent is no big deal in sedans in India because of our roads, potholes and boulders. The owner must be dumb if he wants to sell the car just because the oil sump has a dent and he has to shell out 50k.

Infact many owners look for excuses to sell their cars to upgrade to newer cars. Excuses could be anything like a anticipated large service bill, neighbouring Sharma ji bought a newer car, junior bought a new car, midlife crisis or whatever with the most common being the first reason.

Get him to shave off that 50k in the price and I think you should be good to go.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bharatbits (Post 4520292)
I would say it's a good deal since you have the entire service history.

I went ahead and got the car last Sunday. A long-term ownership thread coming soon. I would say that car is solid in every way and a pleasure to drive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by saurabhb2000 (Post 4507555)
Sure. thank you . will find out more. However this dealer is a Jeep company dealer that sells new Jeep vehicles as well (not independent dealers)

Afaik odometer can be reset once before the dealer hands over the car to the customer. This feature is present in Fiat cars and is done to give the customer a feel of having bought a brand new car with odometer starting from 0 on delivery.

My friends Linea odometer cable got disconnected and he used it for nearly 7k kms before getting it fixed.

The above scenarios are possible but with the owner not having the intent to cheat.

If cheating is the intent then odometer tampering could also be possible.

Selling a car in barely 300 kms sounds fishy. Even to realise that the car I bought for 25 lakhs does not suit me or meet my needs I would drive for atleast 3000 kms to take a call. Talking to the registered owner will unearth lot of details. I am just playing devil's advocate. Do your research before putting in your money.

If I were in your place I would not be comfortable putting in such money with doubts in my mind. I'd prefer a Hexa or the XUV or any other car off the showroom more so because you also seem to be obsessed with the new car smell.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 (Post 4427368)
But, as per my guess the dealer must have bought it for somewhere between 70-75%(7.4L-7.95L) of the OTR price.

I am yet to come across any dealer that actually buys the cars before he sells (ofcourse unless the seller is in urgency and offering at a very very tempting price). All dealers I came across follow the 'park and sell' model.

If I am not mistaken, there was an ongoing scheme of 50k for 4x4 models around the time of registration and many people went for it.
Either he purchased it at that time for 50k more and is looking to make some profit from it (from the second highest model) or something is fishy, cause 300kms is way too less for a vehicle this nice to be sold.

During the length of the programme, customers who have either booked or are considering buying a lower-spec 4x2 Compass (available in Sport, Longitude, Longitude Option and Limited variants) can get the higher Limited 4x4 trim.

While the upgrade (for Rs 50,000) is available on all lower-spec trims regardless of the powertrain, there is a caveat. For example, if a customer has booked a Longitude 4x2 2.0D (priced at Rs 17.52 lakh), they will have to pay the Rs 1.69 lakh difference between the trim and the Limited 4x2 (costing Rs 19.21 lakh), after which the Rs 50,000 offer can be availed to upgrade further to the Limited 4x4 trim (costing Rs 21.18 lakh). Thanks to the offer, customers can save up to Rs 1.47 lakh, which is the price difference between the Limited 4x2 and Limited 4x4.

This offer is available on the 173hp, 2.0-litre diesel engine and the 163hp, 1.4-litre turbo-petrol motor. The former is mated exclusively to a six-speed manual transmission and gets 4WD as an option while the latter gets a six-speed manual on lower trims and a seven-speed dual-clutch unit on higher ones, though is limited to 2WD only.

Source: https://www.google.co.in/amp/s/www.autocarindia.com/car-news-amp/jeep-announces-attractive-offers-on-its-compass-4x4-407931

There is a pre-worshipped, 2010 Ford Fiesta 1.6s Duratec on sale for a price of 3 Lakhs. It has run for 36000 Kilometers.
Observations after the test ride - It just doesn't slot into fifth Gear. Every other gear change is smooth. Steering is hard and when I say its hard I am not comparing to the new age assisted steerings, but a normal power steering.
Any advice on the above issues would be helpful.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SourabhSuresh (Post 4535101)
There is a pre-worshipped, 2010 Ford Fiesta 1.6s Duratec on sale for a price of 3 Lakhs. It has run for 36000 Kilometers.
Observations after the test ride - It just doesn't slot into fifth Gear. Every other gear change is smooth. Steering is hard and when I say its hard I am not comparing to the new age assisted steerings, but a normal power steering.
Any advice on the above issues would be helpful.

Have the gear / brake / clutch lubes ever been changed?

You might additionally seeing anything from just worn out bushes to a new steering assembly being required. Get the car up on a lift at some dealer or trusted + well equipped garage and check.

Was checking out a first owner Honda Jazz VMT 2015 model which has run for 40k+ kilometers in Bhubaneswar. It's sold under Honda Auto Terrace with a price tag of 5.4 lakhs subject to negotiation. VIN number shows it as June, 2015 model.

Apart from slight surface scratches, was not able to locate any major damages. I am scheduled to take a test drive on Saturday. Apart from service history, what all should be kept in mind. Also any suggestions on the pricing. Honda will provide a 1 year standard warranty on the vehicle.

The state of the tyres - most owners won't have done any rotation / alignment etc so that the tyres will be pretty much shot at this stage, worn smooth on one side and ok on the other side.

Clutch play. State of lubes (drain and refill the whole lot - engine oil, brake / clutch and gear lube, coolant).

Service history at Honda across dealers.

Inspection by a competent 3rd party mechanic that you trust - pay him to inspect it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suryendu87 (Post 4548173)
Was checking out a first owner Honda Jazz VMT 2015 model which has run for 40k+ kilometers in Bhubaneswar. It's sold under Honda Auto Terrace with a price tag of 5.4 lakhs subject to negotiation. VIN number shows it as June, 2015 model.

Apart from slight surface scratches, was not able to locate any major damages. I am scheduled to take a test drive on Saturday. Apart from service history, what all should be kept in mind. Also any suggestions on the pricing. Honda will provide a 1 year standard warranty on the vehicle.

Need help.

I have set my eyes on a February, 2012 Skoda Yeti, elegence, 4*4, 95,000 kms done, with clutch, suspension, timing belt done, and crd system undergoing repairs currently. The owner has lost interest in the car and wants to get rid of it. The car has three okay tyres, and one in need of replacement. However, I think all four will need replacement immediately. The car is presently lying at a workshop in Chandigarh. My queries:

1. Is it worthwhile to buy it?
2. If it is bought, what price will be a logical price for it, considering the foregoing, and also factoring the age of the car, being in NCR region?

Quote:

Originally Posted by deepfusion (Post 4557440)
Need help.

I have set my eyes on a February, 2012 Skoda Yeti, elegence, 4*4, 95,000 kms done, with clutch, suspension, timing belt done, and crd system undergoing repairs currently. The owner has lost interest in the car and wants to get rid of it. The car has three okay tyres, and one in need of replacement. However, I think all four will need replacement immediately. The car is presently lying at a workshop in Chandigarh. My queries:

1. Is it worthwhile to buy it?
2. If it is bought, what price will be a logical price for it, considering the foregoing, and also factoring the age of the car, being in NCR region?

Same case with me. There is s Laura L&K 2010 1.25 on odo (price 3.71)& a Yeti 2013 66K on odo....asking 6.55 last.....with insurance n NoC formality...

Please give advice

Quote:

Originally Posted by da.maulik (Post 4567084)
Same case with me. There is s Laura L&K 2010 1.25 on odo (price 3.71)& a Yeti 2013 66K on odo....asking 6.55 last.....with insurance n NoC formality...

Please give advice

The Laura sounds way too overpriced. I would not pay more than 2 lakhs for a 9 year old car with 1.25 lakh on the odometer.

Dear All,

I am in the market for a reliable family sedan and a couple of City[i]s have got me tempted. One in particular, is a 2017 17k run VX CVT model. The car seems to be in great shape from pictures and although I haven't seen it yet, just wanted to know what would be the fair value of this car assuming everything turns out to be how it looks as of now i.e. great!
Thank you in advance for your suggestions.