Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2019, 18:58   #1021
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsUnlimited View Post
Dear All,

I am in the market for a reliable family sedan and a couple of City[i]s have got me tempted. One in particular, is a 2017 17k run VX CVT model. The car seems to be in great shape from pictures and although I haven't seen it yet, just wanted to know what would be the fair value of this car assuming everything turns out to be how it looks as of now i.e. great!
Thank you in advance for your suggestions.
Should be a good purchase if you get it for 70% of the 2017 OTR price.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2019, 09:59   #1022
BHPian

Thanks, jetsetgo08

The guy is quoting 10.5 which I feel is bit overpriced, the car is actually in quite good shape, will take a call in next couple of days.
Old 22nd April 2019, 21:36   #1023
BANNED

Hi friends - I am in market for a used car for my wife.

Requirements:
1) Budget is 4.50L
2) Automatic (trying to avoid maruti/tata AMT due to jerks and lack of reliability)
3) hatch or sedan both are okay
4) low cost of maintenance
5) mainly 80% city driving with not more 500kms a month

Based on this criteria I have been searching the market. Found below type of options:

a) Grand i10 - can get Asta 2015 or Magna 2017 AT
b) Honda Amaze S AT - 2014
c) Honda City V - 2012

All first owners and with decent run mileage. I know its not really apple-apple comparison but overall what do you recommend. Please share your feedback along with logical points/detailed thoughts.
Old 23rd April 2019, 12:26   #1024
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuteavaya View Post
Hi friends - I am in market for a used car for my wife.
I don't have any thoughts to offer on the Honda Amaze AT or the Honda City CVT specifically. The only thought that comes to mind with the Grand i10 AT is that I've seen quite many new examples of those on sale; its ex-owners tend to panic at the 7 to 9 kmpl they get in the city and end up selling them prematurely.

I have a Torque Converter (TC) type A Star AT at home, bought used recently. I get only 10 Kmpl with it. But i'm not bothered by its fuel inefficiency; like you have indicated, I had steered clear of all AMTs in the used market too. If you buy a TC type of Automatic transmission equipped car, IMO you won't regret it because the driving experience is far better. Power delivery is linear and in my case it is surprisingly peppy.

About the Honda CVTs that you may consider - maybe those would end up being more fuel efficient than comparable TC types. I owned a Nissan CVT compact SUV in the US for 4 years. All I can say about it is that the CVT needs patience to be dealt with, thanks to the rubber band effect.
Old 23rd April 2019, 13:23   #1025
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I am in the market for a used Toyota Corolla Altis. I have seen one at a Toyota dealer Rs. 5.50L. 2012 model. 1.8G. Run 39,000 Kms. First Owner. MH registration. Full service history with Toyota. Non accidental. Comes with a 2 year warranty from Toyota. Does this seem like a good deal? I intend to keep the car for at least 3 to 4 years. It will be used mainly for highway runs between Bombay and Goa. Is there anything specific I should look out for? What mileage can I expect on the highway with A.C on at all times? How expensive are the spare parts and service costs? I read somewhere that a single headlight costs Rs.30,000.00?

Your inputs would be greatly appreciated.
Many Thanks.
SS
Old 2nd May 2019, 15:12   #1026
BHPian

Team BHPians in Hyderabad. Help needed

Hi there.

I am looking for a used car mainly due to budgetary constraints. I definitely want a petrol and an automatic. Preference is for a sedan but a hatchback will also do. I am really hung up on the 1.8 TSI engine as I have owned a Passat earlier. I really, really do not want to buy a Maruti Suzuki or Hyundai while Honda, Toyota and Tata are my last preferences. Mahindra is out of contention since I am not too fond of their vehicles looks wise.

My problem is, I do not of a reliable place to buy a used car from in Hyderabad. Can anyone suggest one? Idea is to browse around and then see what fits into my budget or how much should I stretch my budget by. The cars I wish I could own are
Passat
Polo 1.8 TSI
Octavia 1.8 TSI
Any BMW (if an M series, then balle balle)

Please share if you know of any good source for used cars.
Old 2nd May 2019, 16:04   #1027
BHPian

Re: Team BHPians in Hyderabad. Help needed

Don't know if good or bad, but the Ayyappa society to Madhapur police station connecting road as a bunch of used car sale shops. Pay a visit.
smartindboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2019, 16:24   #1028
BHPian

Here's an interesting one.

The search:

I was casually browsing for a pre loved Toyota Fortuner. On one of the used car portals, I ran into an Ad and sent the sellers (agents) a message. They were prompt to follow up and provided me every possible answer satisfactorily. They even sent pictures of the car, which showed the registration number clearly.

ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India-whatsapp-image-20190502-10.51.49-am.jpeg

From the registration number I looked up the details on the Vahaan website and saw this:

Name:  HR26DE7095.png
Views: 5295
Size:  23.5 KB

Being Sherlock:

Although, the expired insurance should have raised all sorts of alarm bells, it first did not strike me as a major problem. I told myself, maybe the guy just did not renew since he wanted to sell the car off. As I dug deeper, a certain picture started to emerge. With my Sherlock hat on, I tracked the owner down to be a partner in a logistics/moving company and that company had horrendous reviews accusing it of being a fraudulent company that extorts and blackmails its customers.

Nonetheless, I continued to engage with the broker who even shared NOC certificate from HDFC bank. I asked them their expected price and was told she will sell it for Rs 28.5 (negotiable). At this point, I hopped on to Google and started researching the seller/broker company - Gencorp Inc. Lo and behold, what do I find? A bunch of reviews saying these guys con buyers by selling them cars that have a history of accidents!!!

Name:  Used car Seller.png
Views: 5376
Size:  47.5 KB

Eureka moment:

This is when it struck me - the Fortuner they were trying to sell to me must have been in an accident and the last owner must have claimed insurance and that's why there is no insurance on the car at the moment!!

Current situation:

I'm still playing with the broker who was trying to sell me the lemon. I've asked her for the original insurance certificate so I can call the insurance company to verify everything was in order. She's going to get back to me. We all know what that means.
rovingeye is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2019, 17:53   #1029
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovingeye View Post

Current situation:

I'm still playing with the broker who was trying to sell me the lemon. I've asked her for the original insurance certificate so I can call the insurance company to verify everything was in order. She's going to get back to me. We all know what that means.
Quick update : Sure enough they were trying to con me. When I pressed them hard, they just blocked me on WhatsApp. They don't want to sell me anything anymore. One of them even called me and said, "Sorry Sir, the car just got sold".

Therefore, folks in Delhi, please beware of Amit Chugh from Gencorp Inc.

Mods : Sorry for the back to back posts.
rovingeye is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2019, 20:02   #1030
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys,

I have been looking for a used car and came across one car which suits me.

The car is registered in a different RTO (same state) which is 250 kms from Gurgaon (HR-26). The seller works here in Gurgaon in a top IT company. There was a loan on the car which has already been cleared and NOC / Form-35 taken from the bank.

The seller assured me that he will get NOC from his hometown RTO and till the time I can hold Rs.10,000.

I was thinking to get two sets of Form 28 (needed to get RTO NOC) signed by the seller (he can take one set to his hometown RTO, another with me, just in case seller gets lazy).

Just now, came to know that original bank NOC / Form-35 is also needed at seller’s hometown RTO for RTO NOC. Is it true?

Now, I am really confused. Is it safe to go ahead with this deal? If yes, what steps should I take?

Thanks.
Old 2nd May 2019, 20:18   #1031
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
...what steps should I take?
If you want this to be completely hassle-free, insist on getting all paperwork necessary for ownership transfer sorted before you pay, esp. for cases where outstation entities are involved.

The seller may decide to forego 10k to spare himself the hassle of arranging paperwork, you'll then be in possession of a car you paid for but is technically owned by someone else, with substantial legwork needed to correct it and a potentially uncooperative seller.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2019, 11:56   #1032
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
If you want this to be completely hassle-free, insist on getting all paperwork necessary for ownership transfer sorted before you pay, esp. for cases where outstation entities are involved.
I agree. Spoke to the seller and he has no issue in that too but he asks for some token money. How much token money should I give him for a 4.50L car and what should I take in writing from the seller?

Last edited by mukeshgoel : 3rd May 2019 at 11:59.
mukeshgoel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2019, 15:13   #1033
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
I agree. Spoke to the seller and he has no issue in that too but he asks for some token money. How much token money should I give him for a 4.50L car and what should I take in writing from the seller?
It's entirely upto you what you're comfortable handing over as token amount. If you're convinced by the car/seller being genuine, you can mutually agree a reasonable sum (say 10%). Substantial enough to hold the deal, but not too risky for you.

Whatever you pay, get a receipt, and consider doing an online transfer so you have a secondary record of the transaction. You could also email him the terms of the deal (agreed price, advance paid, paperwork to be handed over, additional installed parts/accessories, service commitments etc.) and get an acknowledgment.

Be polite but firm and do your due diligence, so neither of you feels shortchanged after money has changed hands.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2019, 15:00   #1034
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuteavaya View Post
c) Honda City V - 2012

All first owners and with decent run mileage. I know its not really apple-apple comparison but overall what do you recommend. Please share your feedback along with logical points/detailed thoughts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
I don't have any thoughts to offer on the Honda Amaze AT or the Honda City CVT specifically.
Honda City will be best option, very reliable and zero maintenance except regular service. I haven't paid anything for parts fault/failure except for Brake-pads for past 10 years.

Honda City 2012 is Torque Convertor not CVT, CVT came in new 2013 model.
Old 6th May 2019, 20:06   #1035
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovingeye View Post
Here's an interesting one.
Hi! My close friend enquired about this Fortuner last month. He was told on phone that insurance papers and all documents are in place including service history from Toyota.

He backed out when he came to know that it belongs to a transport agency. Actually builders, property and transport business people in and around Delhi are notorious for indulging in road rage, rule violations and other crimes. When we checked on CarInfo app, it shows 36 past searches for this vehicle number already which sets alarm bells ringing given that the car has a totally random number. In comparison most car numbers I've searched on the app have had 1-2 previous views.

Glad that you walked away from the deal.
self_driven is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks