Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2020, 19:12   #1111
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Greater Noida
Posts: 22
Thanked: 8 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

Quote:
from my experience of RC transfer in Maharashtra I can tell you that seller's presence is not required for NOC and RC transfer.
Quote:
Once you got the NOC, then the relation between you and the seller is over, you don't need him anymore, not even for RC transfer.
Thanks pawank, logically that's the way it should be and the practice throughout India should be uniform.

Quote:
But did you took the vehicle for long test drive(30-40KM at least). You should also get the car examine by the Authorised Service Center.
Yes, I did. I also got it checked at the ASS by two ASS technicians. Didn't get a local mechanic to check it though. That option remains open and can be exercised any time.
Subroto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 12:51   #1112
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: KOCHI/BLR
Posts: 16
Thanked: 11 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

Hello All,

I'm in search for a used car, probably a hatch, for most of my city and highway runs that could be between 100-300kms a week, so need a fuel efficient one.

Would be going for cars from 2015 only with less than 50k on the odo and a budget around 5 lakh

I've shortlisted the following based on my requirement

Figo 1.5TDCI - compact, fuel efficient, build is better than all Maruti cars and
maintenance is also not much of trouble

Punto evo 1.3 90bhp - Solid build, fuel efficient, Hydraulic steering, superb handling, I'm not sure about the maintenance front and long term reliability though

JAZZ 1.2 - Spacious, a decent engine, long term reliability, not sure about the fuel efficiency ( 1.5 idtec is out of my budget)

i20 crdi is also out of my budget, i20 petrol my friend has has a real poor FE

No more maruti's - Have a ciaz 1.4, which i gave to my brother due to the trouble it gave me because of the poor steeing feedback and no auto centering of steering. No maruti steering auto centre's nowadays, tried to live with it, but eventually ended up with bicipital tendinitis, also poor build quality
chembilath is offline  
Old 6th October 2020, 19:31   #1113
BHPian
 
ToyotaFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Delhi
Posts: 437
Thanked: 416 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

Hello All,
A friend is in the middle of buying a used car Ford Ecosport Titanium TDCI 2014 model DL registered done 1.2 lakh kms for 4 lakh rupees. It is from a known relative hence i am pretty confident about its condition. The car is registered in Delhi and i want to get it transferred to Bulandshahr ( UP ) UP 13 RTO. The car had an ex showroom price of around 9 lakh in 2014. Can anyone guide me how to get NOC from Delhi and How much tax would i have to pay in UP considering the tax rate now is 8 percent for cars below 10 lakh. Will it be worth it?

Second option is i get a rent agreement in delhi and get it transferred in my name in Delhi. Any idea how to go about it as i have relatives living in delhi who would help out in getting the documents made? How much will that cost and will it be the right decision considering after 4 years we would have crossed the 10year limit of Delhi Diesel vehicle registration. We have already paid the advance and were looking to take delivery in a day or two. URGENT HELP NEEDED.
ToyotaFan is offline  
Old 6th October 2020, 22:04   #1114
Senior - BHPian
 
iTNerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Imphal/Noida
Posts: 1,184
Thanked: 903 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

I just re-registered a used 10 year old Fortuner (DL-12 registered) in my home state (MN-06) after taking NOC. All I paid was 1300 bucks for new registration, smart card and verification. The destination RTO (MN-06) didn't ask for any tax. I don't know if I am lucky or this has become a new rule that if you had paid LTT once, it is valid pan-India. If it helps, I did transfer the ownership in the RC in delhi's address before taking a NOC. And I just asked the destination RTO (MN-06) that I had shifted at my home town, and I want to transfer the registration here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
Hello All,
A friend is in the middle of buying a used car Ford Ecosport Titanium TDCI 2014 model DL registered done 1.2 lakh kms for 4 lakh rupees. It is from a known relative hence i am pretty confident about its condition. The car is registered in Delhi and i want to get it transferred to Bulandshahr ( UP ) UP 13 RTO. The car had an ex showroom price of around 9 lakh in 2014. Can anyone guide me how to get NOC from Delhi and How much tax would i have to pay in UP considering the tax rate now is 8 percent for cars below 10 lakh. Will it be worth it?

Second option is i get a rent agreement in delhi and get it transferred in my name in Delhi. Any idea how to go about it as i have relatives living in delhi who would help out in getting the documents made? How much will that cost and will it be the right decision considering after 4 years we would have crossed the 10year limit of Delhi Diesel vehicle registration. We have already paid the advance and were looking to take delivery in a day or two. URGENT HELP NEEDED.
iTNerd is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 22:45   #1115
HTC
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 54
Thanked: 130 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
I just re-registered a used 10 year old Fortuner (DL-12 registered) in my home state (MN-06) after taking NOC. All I paid was 1300 bucks for new registration, smart card and verification. The destination RTO (MN-06) didn't ask for any tax. I don't know if I am lucky or this has become a new rule that if you had paid LTT once, it is valid pan-India. If it helps, I did transfer the ownership in the RC in delhi's address before taking a NOC. And I just asked the destination RTO (MN-06) that I had shifted at my home town, and I want to transfer the registration here.
Cant believe. You are one lucky soul.
Forget tax, karnataka RTO even collects fine for delay in re-registration. Example, i bought a 2010 ninja 250 from my brothers friend. He had bought it in Hyderabad and moved back to Karnataka. Now i had to pay around 53k to RTO. Of that 19k was fine amount .
Add to that agent cost . Sigh...
HTC is offline  
Old 6th October 2020, 22:49   #1116
Distinguished - BHPian
 
androdev's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 2,169
Thanked: 7,452 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTC View Post
Cant believe. You are one lucky soul.
Forget tax, karnataka RTO even collects fine for delay in re-registration. Example, i bought a 2010 ninja 250 from my brothers friend. He had bought it in Hyderabad and moved back to Karnataka. Now i had to pay around 53k to RTO. Of that 19k was fine amount .
Add to that agent cost . Sigh...
What is the fine amount for? How do they calculate it? Couldn't you just say you brought it to KA only recently?
androdev is online now  
Old 8th October 2020, 10:52   #1117
BHPian
 
pawank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Amravati
Posts: 64
Thanked: 68 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
If it helps, I did transfer the ownership in the RC in delhi's address before taking a NOC.
How is this different from first taking the NOC and then re-registering it in your name in different state? I mean what are the benefits of transferring RC first in the same state?
pawank is offline  
Old 8th October 2020, 12:18   #1118
Senior - BHPian
 
iTNerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Imphal/Noida
Posts: 1,184
Thanked: 903 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

I don't think there is no difference if both ways led to paying tax in the new RTO. However, in my case, as the car was transferred to my name prior to getting the NOC, I just told them that I wanted to use my car in my native place as I have shifted here permanently and that ownership will remain the same. And I was surprised when they didn't ask for any tax, but just the nominal fee for new registration, RC and inspection. I am not sure if this would translate differently if I had just taken the NOC without transferring the ownership in the original RC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawank View Post
How is this different from first taking the NOC and then re-registering it in your name in different state? I mean what are the benefits of transferring RC first in the same state?
iTNerd is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 13:36   #1119
BHPian
 
pawank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Amravati
Posts: 64
Thanked: 68 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
I just told them that I wanted to use my car in my native place as I have shifted here permanently and that ownership will remain the same. And I was surprised when they didn't ask for any tax, but just the nominal fee for new registration, RC and inspection.
Wow, you are too lucky. I think this is a very rare case, otherwise everyone has to pay the road tax while re-registering it in new state. Are you a government employee?
pawank is offline  
Old 8th October 2020, 21:01   #1120
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 12
Thanked: 9 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

Bhp-ians, I need a humble advice. I am out to buy a pre-owned car. Based on my requirement, I have short listed two cars out of which I need to choose one.
1) Volkswagen Cross Polo 1.5 tdi 2014 Model Black Colour. 2nd Owner exquisitely maintained. New Goodyear upgraded tyres, 45000km on the ODO, service due in around 10 days (or 11000 km). Have an after market driver hand rest and better headlights. Asking Price is 50k less than 2nd option.

2) Skoda Rapid Style 2015 model 1.5 tdi Black edition Silver colour with black roof. 2nd owner seems well maintained (no further details). 37000km on the ODO and next service due only after a year (or 14500km). Everything stock. Tyres have run the kms in the ODO (I think it will run 10000km max). Blackened alloys, headlamps, roof..etc as per black package. Asking rate is 50k more than the 1st option.

I live in Trivandrum, where I have heard the Volkswagen service is better than the Skoda. But there are good private workshops too. Please advice on which is the better buy?
Azharumon is offline  
Old 9th October 2020, 19:11   #1121
Senior - BHPian
 
iTNerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Imphal/Noida
Posts: 1,184
Thanked: 903 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

May be it helped in my case as I took my case to the RTO from top to down i.e., first directly to the DTO himself and then forwarded to the mid/low level staffs to do the processing. If I look at the Vahan site with my application ID, there is a 'Tax Exemption' section mentioning the 5 years (remaining) as exempted. And no, I am not in Govt service, rather a private entreprenuer.

ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India-fortuner3.gif


Quote:
Originally Posted by pawank View Post
Wow, you are too lucky. I think this is a very rare
case, otherwise everyone has to pay the road tax while re-registering it in new state. Are you a government employee?

Last edited by iTNerd : 9th October 2020 at 19:21.
iTNerd is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 18:35   #1122
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 51
Thanked: 112 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

Hi, new to used car purchase so two queries:

Cars24
Is the website reliable? The green marked money back guaranteed cars would have been thoroughly checked by them i suppose.

Yaris V MT 2018 BS4
Yaris G CVT 2018 BS4

7.5 lakh is the asking price for both. Do you think its nice? Only one of these is green marked by cars24.

Thing is both of them are 2nd owner cars so not sure thatís necessarily a bad thing.

Advice pls

Thanks.
nandadevieast is offline  
Old 12th October 2020, 20:19   #1123
BHPian
 
pawank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Amravati
Posts: 64
Thanked: 68 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandadevieast View Post
Yaris V MT 2018 BS4
Yaris G CVT 2018 BS4

Thing is both of them are 2nd owner cars so not sure thatís necessarily a bad thing.
You should avoid 2nd owner cars, no matter how good the deal sounds and how attractive the car looks. 1st owner got rid of the car and 2nd owner is trying to sell the car too, this is happening when the car is just 2-3 years old. By the way Yaris stands in the bottom of the sales chart. So low demand and low value in used car market is natural. Also in future, it would become difficult for you to find a buyer for it.

Search for 2015-2017 model Verna or City, these would cost around 6-8 Lakh rupees. If you want to play safe, then go for verna or city.
pawank is offline  
Old 13th October 2020, 12:43   #1124
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 4,174
Thanked: 7,365 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawank View Post
You should avoid 2nd owner cars, no matter how good the deal sounds and how attractive the car looks. 1st owner got rid of the car and 2nd owner is trying to sell the car too, this is happening when the car is just 2-3 years old. By the way Yaris stands in the bottom of the sales chart. So low demand and low value in used car market is natural. Also in future, it would become difficult for you to find a buyer for it.
Second owner can be because of corporate leased car purchased by the individual when the lease expires. Such cars are a bargain because the poor guy didn’t realise he would be stuck with a second owner car in the process. Of course if you buy such a car make sure it is a good one and keep it till it is ten years old. Yaris is solid and well built but didn’t catch the market fancy that is all, it is a Toyota at heart so will have cheap service and reliable performance.

That said try to find a car sold directly from the owner instead of through a dealer even a corporate dealer like cars24. Cheaper for you and you can enquire the full history from a genuine seller.

Last edited by hserus : 13th October 2020 at 12:45.
hserus is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 16:41   #1125
BHPian
 
car_guy1998's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 250
Thanked: 441 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandadevieast View Post
Hi, new to used car purchase so two queries:

Cars24
Is the website reliable? The green marked money back guaranteed cars would have been thoroughly checked by them i suppose.

Yaris V MT 2018 BS4
Yaris G CVT 2018 BS4

7.5 lakh is the asking price for both. Do you think its nice? Only one of these is green marked by cars24.

Thing is both of them are 2nd owner cars so not sure thatís necessarily a bad thing.

Advice pls

Thanks.
I say,please avoid Yaris eventhough it is a 2nd owner car because my cousin's in-laws,who had bought Yaris G CVT last year,is giving below 10 Kmpl in city as per them.

I suggest you to go for Honda City CVT or VW Vento 1.2 TSI with extended warranty.
car_guy1998 is offline   (1) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks