Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2020, 19:00   #1126
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_guy1998 View Post
I say,please avoid Yaris eventhough it is a 2nd owner car because my cousin's in-laws,who had bought Yaris G CVT last year,is giving below 10 Kmpl in city as per them.

I suggest you to go for Honda City CVT or VW Vento 1.2 TSI with extended warranty.
Just how much mileage do you think any automatic car will get in city traffic conditions?
Old 13th October 2020, 20:11   #1127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Second owner can be because of corporate leased car purchased by the individual when the lease expires. Yaris is solid and well built but didn’t catch the market fancy that is all, it is a Toyota at heart so will have cheap service and reliable performance.
Can be or can not be. This is a possibility we are considering sir. Also corporate lease cars are hard to come by. I agree that yaris is a good reliable car. But there are better options in this segment like city, verna and rapid. Also in this case @nandadevieast will become the third owner of the car, that would further downgrade the car's after-sale value to a great extent. Availability of spare parts would also be a deciding factor if in future owner wants to reduce the service cost of the car. Spare parts of cars which sell in good number are cheaper and easier to find.

Last edited by ajmat : 13th October 2020 at 21:19.
Old 13th October 2020, 21:43   #1128
BHPian

The number of owners is just another reason to drive down the price of the used car. If the car is a corporate lease, it is just two owners on paper. Also if the car has been maintained well and if all the service records are upto date, I don't see any reason not to buy it. Also average in city traffic conditions is relative. The traffic varies from city to city and within the city as well.

Last edited by adi.mariner : 13th October 2020 at 21:44.
adi.mariner is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 21:53   #1129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawank View Post
Availability of spare parts would also be a deciding factor if in future owner wants to reduce the service cost of the car. Spare parts of cars which sell in good number are cheaper and easier to find.
Yaris is a global model for Toyota. Parts availability is the least of worries for this car.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 15:20   #1130
BHPian

Hello All
I am planning to buy a used VW Jetta, Jan 2014 manufactured. This car was with VW company employee for 2 years as part of their management eligibility. Then it was bought by another company employee in internal auction. Current Car running is at 70k kms. It's highline diesel variant (DSG gearbox).
Asking price is 9.5 Lakhs.
I happen to know earlier and current, both the car owners very well. They took superb care of car. Car condition is at best. No scratches or dents.
1. Serviced 2 weeks back.
2. Car tires were changed at 40k. So next tires change is due soon.

Apart from these, what could be potential upcoming issues at 70k running?
Like DSG issue, any engine issue?
Any suggestion for used car loan bank?

Last edited by Nicky : 15th October 2020 at 15:22.
Old 17th October 2020, 03:24   #1131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
Apart from these, what could be potential upcoming issues at 70k running?
Like DSG issue, any engine issue?
That depends on how the car was maintained by the previous owners. Everything or nothing can go wrong. You must check it's shock absorbers, clutch & pressure plate, all type of bushings, unusual or excessive smoke from the exhaust, under body rusting(specially if the is from costal areas). Don't forget to get the car checked from your trusted mechanic. Also, get the car scanned(this is most important part) from the Volkswagen ASS for any issue with engine or electronics. Don't forget to check the service history with ASS for any major repairs.

Apart from this, I think that there is still a scope of price reduction by at least 1-1.5 Lakh if the car is in good shape.
[/quote]
Old 18th October 2020, 10:45   #1132

Dear all,

This is my very first post on this forum (not sure why I am saying this!)

I bought a used Honda City GXi in 2007. The car was 2 years old and had done 13K KMs when I had bought it. In the intervening 13 years it has done more than 1 Lakh KMs. The car was bought from a known person and therefore the experience has largely been good.

With the age of the car and the fact that I am now a family of 4 as compared to a family of 1(myself) when I bought the car. After much thinking, I decided that I wanted to buy a car with three rows of seating. Some of the main reasons were

1. Need that space when parents, in-laws, relatives, friends come over

2. It is definitely nice to have that extra room in the cabin on long road trips which we go on

My city driving is close to zero since I work from home/remote.

I will be buying it from Hyderabad since it is to be purchased in my company's name which is registered in Hyderabad. The car will be driven mostly between Hyderabad and Bangalore (where I live) and on outstation trips since I have the ability to work remote.

After much thinking, I have decided to buy a pre-owned Toyota Innova Crysta preferably no older than 2017 and having done less than 50K KMs. Looking for advice from this group regarding

1. My choice of the vehicle

2. Toyota Innova Crystra specific tips when buying a used car (I have read the forum and noted down all the points mentioned since the original 2004 post on buying used vehicles)

3. Hyderabad specific tips on where to buy and what things to take care of when buying from Hyderabad
aishmishra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 15:23   #1133
BHPian

Quote:
You should avoid 2nd owner cars, no matter how good the deal sounds and how attractive the car looks.
I have bought a 2012 Honda City of which technically I am the fourth owner. No issues. Probably cause of the number of owners, in this overpriced Bengaluru market, I got it for cheaper than some first owner Alto! If 2+ owner cars were trash, there wouldn't really be a used car market or this thread for that matter.

Quote:
1st owner got rid of the car and 2nd owner is trying to sell the car too, this is happening when the car is just 2-3 years old.
Getting rid of it sounds negative. One common reason that I have seen for 2-3 year old re-sales is - People move! And don't want the hassle of dealing with re-registration. Can't tell how many people I know have sold their barely year old, in warranty, solid cars. It's alright. Getting the car and it's service history checked at ASS should resolve the any doubts pertaining it to be a lemon. As long as it has been serviced on time, number of owners should be the least of the worries. In fact, nandadevieast might just be able to score a good deal

Quote:
By the way Yaris stands in the bottom of the sales chart. So low demand and low value in used car market is natural. Also in future, it would become difficult for you to find a buyer for it.
Sales duds are fantastic deals! I think there's even team-bhp article on it somewhere. As long as it is a manufacturer that's going to stay in the country, one should have no trouble maintaining it. And in the case of Toyota, I doubt it will ever be problem. Re-sale value could be low, but then you're also getting it for cheap. Cars are depreciating assets after all.

Quote:
Second owner can be because of corporate leased car purchased by the individual when the lease expires. Such cars are a bargain because the poor guy didn’t realise he would be stuck with a second owner car in the process. Of course if you buy such a car make sure it is a good one and keep it till it is ten years old. Yaris is solid and well built but didn’t catch the market fancy that is all, it is a Toyota at heart so will have cheap service and reliable performance.

That said try to find a car sold directly from the owner instead of through a dealer even a corporate dealer like cars24. Cheaper for you and you can enquire the full history from a genuine seller.
Agree with all the points here! My car's case was similar. Owner bought the car from the company after the lease expired. And became Owner #2. Car stayed with them until 2017, changed hands with Owner #3, who then sold it to me Owner #4 in Jan 2020. Since it was a company lease car, it was maintained meticulously (very very detailed history was available with Honda). And even after that it was serviced regularly. Found no reason to NOT buy the car.
pratik1992 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 17:15   #1134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratik1992 View Post
Probably cause of the number of owners, in this overpriced Bengaluru market, I got it for cheaper than some first owner Alto! If 2+ owner cars were trash, there wouldn't really be a used car market or this thread for that matter.
I am also a used car owner. Two owners in very less period of time was my concern. There are too many maybe(s) with this deal. I could be wrong.
Someone who is ready to spent 7-8 Lakh rupees on used car should ideally stick with better options like City, Verna and Rapid. These are more sensible options to consider.
[/quote]

Quote:
Getting rid of it sounds negative.
Yeah, that was a bit over exaggeration by me.

Quote:
In fact, nandadevieast might just be able to score a good deal
I too wish the same for him.

Quote:
As long as it is a manufacturer that's going to stay in the country, one should have no trouble maintaining it.
I agree that Toyota is going to stay, but can't say the same for Yaris. People like me who lives in tier-III city sometimes face problem in sourcing spare parts of Hondas, imagine what would be the case with Yaris.
Old 18th October 2020, 19:39   #1135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
Hello All
I am planning to buy a used VW Jetta, Jan 2014 manufactured. This car was with VW company employee for 2 years as part of their management eligibility. Then it was bought by another company employee in internal auction. Current Car running is at 70k kms. It's highline diesel variant (DSG gearbox).
Asking price is 9.5 Lakhs.?
Jettas are great cars. I have bought two used Jettas, including one DSG, and both have been very reliable. If possible, open the DSG filter in the engine compartment and see the condition of the oil and check if the filter is squished or bent out of shape. When DSG issues are starting, sometimes the extra pressure in the system can squish the filter. It takes only a few seconds to remove the cap and check. Also pay attention to any burning smell in the DSG oil after driving.

Coming to the price, there is no way this car should sell for over 5 lakhs. In NCR, you would barely get 4 lakhs for it. It is 6 years old with 70k kms and in an economic downturn. If you buy it for 9 lakhs be prepared to sell it for 2 lakhs or less even after 2 years. Jettas are wonderful cars but have very poor resale value.

Last edited by Lobogris : 18th October 2020 at 19:41.
Lobogris is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 16:08   #1136
BHPian

A few days back while taking delivery of my New Car, i gave my car to the showroom in exchange. Today i found my Car on OLX, Quoted 2,20,000 Above what i sold for and the funniest part is.

The AD mentions the mileage as 1,14,000 Kms whereas my Car had clocked 1,28,500 Kms while selling it.
And also says that is in non accidental. Whereas the car has had it’s frame repaired and both airbags blown. I’m concerned about the poor chap who’s going to buy it.
Schneller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 18:20   #1137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I agree that Toyota is going to stay, but can't say the same for Yaris. People like me who lives in tier-III city sometimes face problem in sourcing spare parts of Hondas, imagine what would be the case with Yaris.
Yaris is a global model for Toyota. There will be absolutely no difficulty in picking up spares from a Toyota dealership for years ahead of you. Unlike any india specific models that a manufacturer starts and then stops, if there is a global model sold in India then that means parts may not be available in parts stores if the car isn't a hot seller but a dealership can source them for you without difficulty.
Old 19th October 2020, 19:33   #1138
BHPian

Quote:
Unlike any india specific models that a manufacturer starts and then stops, if there is a global model sold in India then that means parts may not be available in parts stores if the car isn't a hot seller but a dealership can source them for you without difficulty.
I was trying to say the same sir that parts maybe available in the dealership but not in local spare parts store. Eventually due to less availability the spare parts will become costlier and we will have to get the job done from the dealership at a higher labour cost than the local workshop. In such case, we left with no other option and this is not good if someone is on a tight budget.

Last edited by pawank : 19th October 2020 at 19:41.
Old 20th October 2020, 22:22   #1139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneller View Post
The AD mentions the mileage as 1,14,000 Kms whereas my Car had clocked 1,28,500 Kms while selling it.
Is it possible to manipulate the modern digital odometers of car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneller View Post
And also says that is in non accidental. Whereas the car has had it’s frame repaired and both airbags blown.
Misrepresentation has became a norm nowadays, this is why one should never trust anybody in used car market, even the official records can lie.
Old 20th October 2020, 22:25   #1140
BHPian

Quote:
Is it possible to manipulate the modern digital odometers of car?
Apparently on a 2015 Facelift Vento. They can. Anyway changing Odometers is an easy task tbh. Just needs a little coding. But what i feel bad about is labelling the car an non accidental. Both the airbags were deployed + frame repaired.
If someone knowledgeable opens the hood he will clearly see signs of an accident.
Plus company history mentions a huge bill and also a checkup at 1,21,000 KMs opposed to the dealers 1,14,000 claim
Also the ad is placed at almost a 70% markup from the price they purchased from me.

Most Viewed