Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2020, 22:43   #1141
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneller View Post
Apparently on a 2015 Facelift Vento. They can. Anyway changing Odometers is an easy task tbh. Just needs a little coding.
I think there are records/history in the ECU about recent changes or updates. Someone with decent knowledge about modern cars would take the car for OBD scanning. I mean, this is the drill for an experienced buyers.

But any new buyer who don't know anything is definitely going to fall in this trap. This is so sad. Hard earn money of common folks is being snatched by the greedy and immoral dealers.
Old 20th October 2020, 22:45   #1142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawank View Post
I think there are records/history in the ECU about recent changes or updates. Someone with decent knowledge about modern cars would take the car for OBD scanning. I mean, this is the drill for an experienced buyers.

But any new buyer who don't know anything is definitely going to fall in this trap. This is so sad. Hard earn money of common folks is being snatched by the greedy and immoral dealers.
I actually messaged that guy. Told him that company is telling me some other odometer reading. He said you don’t know what you are taking about. Don’t waste my time. Etc.
But again I don’t think an experienced buyer will ever go for an out of warranty VW that has over 1,00,000 KMs in New Delhi Traffic.
Schneller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2020, 14:45   #1143
BHPian

Is it possible that odometers of premium cars like Mercedes etc too would have been tampered if at all they are "tamperable"
Old 1st November 2020, 21:27   #1144

I am in the process of buying a used car Vento 2017 manufactured, 2018 registered. The car is with 20k on the ODO. I got it checked from Volkswagen and it seems in good condition. I had almost closed on the deal when I asked for all the documents from the owner. The owner doesn't seem to have the original invoice and LTT paid receipts. Turns out he had got some adjustments done in the original billing which eventually meant lower road tax paid.
Apparently the dealership had given him some invoice/bill even after the adjustments which he has lost and now he doesn't want to approach the dealership for the invoice copy as it might dig up the adjustments done.
I am in a soup myself whether to go ahead with the deal or not because I have invested a lot of time into this deal.
What are the implications of not having a tax payment receipt and Original Invoice ?
Is it worth going ahead with the deal ?
Old 1st November 2020, 21:35   #1145
Senior - BHPian

You don’t need the original invoice unless you’re trying to do an interstate transfer. RC insurance pollution cert the seller’s aadhaar and the RTO forms, delivery note, receipt and insurance transfer letter are all you need, paperwork wise.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2020, 22:15   #1146
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmonk85 View Post
I am in the process of buying a used car Vento 2017 manufactured, 2018 registered. The car is with 20k on the ODO. I got it checked from Volkswagen and it seems in good condition. I had almost closed on the deal when I asked for all the documents from the owner. The owner doesn't seem to have the original invoice and LTT paid receipts. Turns out he had got some adjustments done in the original billing which eventually meant lower road tax paid.
Apparently the dealership had given him some invoice/bill even after the adjustments which he has lost and now he doesn't want to approach the dealership for the invoice copy as it might dig up the adjustments done.
I am in a soup myself whether to go ahead with the deal or not because I have invested a lot of time into this deal.
What are the implications of not having a tax payment receipt and Original Invoice ?
Is it worth going ahead with the deal ?
Ideally, the tax receipt would be required if you are seeking a refund. Otherwise no big deal. As for invoice, not really required unless you are transferring to another state and the RTO wishes to evaluate exshowroom price of car. IF you buy the car, go to the showroom and request the invoice. Doubt they will bother.
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 11:41   #1147
BHPian

Really how do we buy a used car in India?
Couple of things mentioned are checking the service history and the insurance claims. Are these readily available ? ie. Can we approach a service station and request the service history for a vehicle we do not own? Similarly can we request insurance claims made for a vehicle we do not own?

How do folks go about getting this information? I am in the market for a used SUV/MUV Automatic (<15L budget), and have used a prior used Vento AT earlier which I have driven for about 7 years without much of trouble. Went by gut feeling that time, but this time would like to do a more thorough investigation before I purchase a used car.
Old 3rd November 2020, 17:04   #1148
Senior - BHPian

Drive the car to the service center and check its history - and also pay them to appraise the car for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmadhok View Post
Really how do we buy a used car in India?
Couple of things mentioned are checking the service history and the insurance claims. Are these readily available ? ie. Can we approach a service station and request the service history for a vehicle we do not own? Similarly can we request insurance claims made for a vehicle we do not own?
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 18:10   #1149
BHPian

Is that assuming everything is done in the A.S.S. anything outside A.S.S will not be known. How can we approach the insurance company?
Old 3rd November 2020, 18:57   #1150
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmadhok View Post
Is that assuming everything is done in the A.S.S. anything outside A.S.S will not be known. How can we approach the insurance company?
Checking the no claim bonus discount will be of some use. It won't tell you about the current year though but you can call up the insurance call center and check if there are any claims. Even if they don't like to share details about claims, they will surely tell you about the NCB status.
Old 4th November 2020, 15:37   #1151
BHPian

How to check out a premium used car

Hi, i am in the market for a premium used car and was looking for advice as to how best to go about evaluating it.
Is it possible to get a proper service and maintenance assessment done through the company showrooms, this being for a car being sold through a third party individual or dealer.
Any experience of non company based vehicle evaluation services- i am based in Bangalore.
Many thanks in advance for the advice- i really dont want to get stuck with a lemon after spending a significant sum.
Old 4th November 2020, 16:21   #1152
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: How to check out a premium used car

Don't look for a terrific deal as a first timer. Look for cars by genuine individual sellers with complete service history and no-costs spared upkeep. It will command a premium but it's totally worth it if you are inexperienced with this segment.

Get the inspection done at the A.S.S as they will give you full diagnostic report and also would be more knowledgeable about the usual problems with a car. Best to approach them though a friend who owns that brand car, you will get better service instead of just walk in. Don't do it through the seller as they will hesitate to spoil a potential deal.

It would be a rookie mistake to think you can find a cheap deal through rigorous pre purchase inspection. Nobody in their right mind will sell a good car for cheap.

Good luck.
androdev is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 8th November 2020, 12:29   #1153
BHPian

Thanks for that very sensible advice, I unfortunately don't know people who own these brands, so I might just have to do a walking.
Old 8th November 2020, 17:18   #1154
Senior - BHPian

You should not worry. When you take the NOC, internally between RTO's, they can see the original ex-showroom price, LTT amount paid and others.. At least that is what happened to me when I transfer from DL12 to MN06. The destination RTO internally extracted the e-NOC from Parivahan which have all the information including the ex-showroom, LTT paid and other taxes if any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmonk85 View Post
The owner doesn't seem to have the original invoice and LTT paid receipts. Turns out he had got some adjustments done in the original billing which eventually meant lower road tax paid.
iTNerd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 17:39   #1155
BHPian

Re: How to check out a premium used car

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudraksh2005 View Post
Is it possible to get a proper service and maintenance assessment done through the company showrooms
Yes, it is possible. They will charge you a fee for physical assessment ranging from Rs.500 to Rs.1000. This amount varies from company to company. ECU scanning would be charged separately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudraksh2005 View Post
Any experience of non company based vehicle evaluation services- i am based in Bangalore.
Well, not in Bangalore but in Pune. They charged me Rs.500 for physical inspection. They checked everything like tyre, suspension, engine, accidental or not, etc. But the drawback is that the majority of them don't have any type of ECU scanner.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks