Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2021, 07:14   #1231
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

Hey Bhpians,

When we buy a used car through a dealer, the payment (deal value of the car and not the dealer commission) should be made to the seller bank account or the dealer's bank account ?

My current dealer is telling me that full payment should be made to his current account and he will pay to the seller i.e. current owner. To assure, he is saying he is a state registered car dealer and this is a norm.

I am finding this surprising as I thought the only payment to the dealer should just be his commission payment and not the car payment as for all practical / legal purposes his name is no where in the process. Isn't it ?

Can someone please share this experience, thoughts on this ?

Thanks.
Old 29th September 2021, 09:19   #1232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscosity View Post
Hey Bhpians,

When we buy a used car through a dealer, the payment (deal value of the car and not the dealer commission) should be made to the seller bank account or the dealer's bank account ?

Can someone please share this experience, thoughts on this ?

Thanks.
When I brought my first used car, I negotiated the value as 3.75L + dealer commission + transfer charges and I transferred the entire amount via cheque to the dealer's company account. The dealer refused to share any details of the actual car owner and since this dealer was very close to a friend, I didn't suspect much and went ahead with it. Only when I met the actual car owner after a week, I came to know that the dealer had lied to him that the car was sold for 2.75L and on top of that he deducted parking charges + commission before paying the amount to seller. So, dealers do this so that they get a chance to cheat the seller regarding the actual sale value of the car.
nagr22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 09:56   #1233
BHPian

After a lot of deliberation, and carefully looking at both new and used options, I finally bit the bullet and booked a Q3 with the Audi dealer.
At the last moment, I find that the previous owner (or maybe the dealer) has taken comprehensive insurance for a lesser value than the IDV. When I asked the sales guy, he says this can only be fixed during next renewal. What are my options here... is it possible to increase the IDV? Is it possible to take a new insurance?
Old 29th September 2021, 12:25   #1234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar21 View Post
I would typically expect to see a 25-30% depreciation on a two year old car with ~20K on the odo. I try to understand how much the person would have paid for it and apply the haircut on that price.

So sellers are expecting to recover close to 90-95% of their purchase price on the 40-45L purchases - bridging the gap from that asking price to my expectation of a fair price has been very hard.

Lowballer is a word that was thrown around during one of the conversations!
This is a common problem with high demand or well known brand cars. All dealers will give you a quote which is nearly 85-90% of the then on-road price of the car and that too excluding insurance. Direct sellers will also quote the same except for insurance part.

Low-baller is their fav term to discredit your argument and change the topic.

Better to stick to your guns and give them a figure that you believe is right. Tell them you will close on the spot at this price otherwise you are ready to leave.

This will make them bring down their ask. May be not to the level you want but still they will reduce the price to say 75-80% of the then on-road of a 3 year old car.

This is applicable only to high demand cars such as Innova, Fortuner, or any famous Maruti (Dzire, WagonR, etc)
sunilch is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 14:56   #1235

How reliable is getting a used car from Das WeltAuto?

I'm looking at a used Volkswagen Polo TSI MT HL+ (2020 made and registered) with 28k in odo. It's with the Das WeltAuto. I've done an inspection and test drive myself and found it pretty good.

I'm not sure if this vehicle was used as a test drive vehicle or used by the service centre folks with Odometer disconnected. Should I get it inspected through the VW service centre which is also operated by them.

I will check if there are insurance claims and if there is anything other than the first service done by them. I'm worried if there is any work done by unauthorised folks.
Old 7th October 2021, 13:10   #1236
BHPian

Dear Friends!

I would really appreciate if someone could share pointers to any reliable used car dealers in PUNE. I have made up my mind to go for a USED Innova Crysta 2.7 Or 2.8 ZX AT after a lot of test drives and reviews on this great portal.

I have been looking for online USED car portals (Direct Sellers) as well but I did not find them to be reliable e.g.
  • Cars24 is a Low Baller (When looking to purchase) and High Baller (When looking to sell).
  • They change their prices based on the enquiries done on a particular vehicle online; More the enquiries, more the price hike.
  • Spinny seems to be a little better than Cars24 in terms of price however both of them DO NOT NEGOTIATE the prices anymore.

I would also be interested to connect with anyone who is part of this portal or who has an acquaintance looking to sell the above mentioned cars.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10th October 2021, 03:49   #1237

Dear TBHPians,

Kindly suggest few good pre-used cars in range of 8-12 Lakhs:
1)3 SUVs in the above price range.
2)3 sedans in the above price range.

Also,pls suggest how old/run it should be for a hassle free ownership.

My usage is around 16-17K of travel per year which includes atleast 30% of hinterland where roads aren't great.This car I'd use for daily commute as well as long road trips to mountains of UK-HP.Need a robust one.Presently I have a Accent-Exec (P+CNG/1.54L kms/10+ yrs) and it's really value for money, have kept in very good condition, but now I want to have a bit more of comfort and safety.
Old 10th October 2021, 11:17   #1238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel@makrand View Post
Kindly suggest few good pre-used cars in range of 8-12 Lakhs:

Old Fortuner: No need to worry about large expenses as long as the vehicle is/was maintained well by previous owner(s).
Very Recent Harrier: Good VFM but hard to find. Will be available with extended warranty.
Recent last-gen Honda CRV AWD: Petrol and Rare to find but then you get some exclusivity and is not hard to maintain. ASS is also decent. Except for the FE, everything is good about it. Five seater though.

Recent Honda City, Recent Toyota Corolla : Fuss free. If possible get one with extended warranty too. Not much expensive to run too.

Audi A4 / Skoda Octavia : You will get examples of Petrol for sure. Diesel may cost more. Good Brand value and value for money in used market. 100% get one with extended warranty only. Else skip it.
sunilch is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 15:41   #1239
BHPian

I'm planning to move to Delhi/Gurgaon in the next 1.5 months and am wondering what to do with my Hyderabad registered 2017 Ciaz 1.3 Alpha Diesel. It only has 25k on it and am wondering if I take it to Delhi will I be able to get a decent price for it if I sell it in the next 4-5 months.

I have contacted companies like Spinny and Cars24 which buy 2nd hand cars and they said will buy a TS registered car in Delhi but at a lower price.

Has anyone have any experience with selling out of state registered cars to these type of companies?
Old 10th October 2021, 15:58   #1240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
I have contacted companies like Spinny and Cars24 which buy 2nd hand cars and they said will buy a TS registered car in Delhi but at a lower price.
Used car prices in Delhi are a joke. Sell it to Cars24 in Hyderabad itself before moving. Or you can use the car in Delhi for some time and sell it whenever you have a chance to come back to Hyderabad.
self_driven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 16:34   #1241
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
Used car prices in Delhi are a joke. Sell it to Cars24 in Hyderabad itself before moving. Or you can use the car in Delhi for some time and sell it whenever you have a chance to come back to Hyderabad.
I won't be coming back to Hyderabad. I talked to someone at Spinny and they said they will buy it in Delhi also but minus the transportation cost (10-20k). However this is just a verbal statement not sure how low the actual price will be.
Foxbat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 21:14   #1242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
However this is just a verbal statement not sure how low the actual price will be.
Verbal commitments are as good as non-existent. Selling in Hyderabad still looks like a better idea to me.

Let's wait for more experienced folks to chip in.
self_driven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 16:42   #1243

I'm new to cars and am trying to interpret Service history of a used Honda Jazz CVT that I want to buy. I noticed the following things and am wondering if anyone help me understand if they are important:

1) The car's odometer reads 12k both on the car as well as Honda's service history records. But some of the services are called "20000 kms Paid Service" and "30000 kms Paid Service". Is this standard practice or unusual?

2) In last year's service history, there are two unusual entries. One service lists "KIT F/PUMP L/N & PACKING" and "SET.F/PUMP MODULE". Does this mean the fuel pump was replaced? Should I be verifying is this car was part of Honda's recall of car fuel pumps? If it was, does that mean anything for me in the future?

3) Similarly, a second service entry lists "TAIL GATE COMP", "DAM.STD 5x5", RUBBER WSHLD DAM", "EMBLEM RR CAR NAM". From the first and third entries, it looks to me like the rear frame plus windshield were damaged and changed. Is this the correct interpretation? If yes, should this worry me about the car's structural integrity?

4) Can Honda car warranties be extended for a resold car?

I'll call the service workshop for the same questions too, but I figued I'll first arm myself with some information Sorry if these q's are too basic.

Thanks !
Old 11th October 2021, 17:19   #1244
Senior - BHPian

The service is km or years. I think Honda is at 6 months or 10k km these days, but very few people will drive a car 10k within 6 months, so the services will be done far earlier than the km reading.

The car does seem to have had various tail gate parts replaced for whatever reason, maybe a rear ending as you say.

Why the fuel pump was replaced is something only Honda can say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmanuel_Cant View Post
1) The car's odometer reads 12k both on the car as well as Honda's service history records. But some of the services are called "20000 kms Paid Service" and "30000 kms Paid Service". Is this standard practice or unusual?

2) In last year's service history, there are two unusual entries. One service lists "KIT F/PUMP L/N & PACKING" and "SET.F/PUMP MODULE". Does this mean the

3) Similarly, a second service entry lists "TAIL GATE COMP", "DAM.STD 5x5", RUBBER WSHLD DAM", "EMBLEM RR CAR NAM". From the first and third
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2021, 11:55   #1245
BHPian

Need some advice on buying a pre-owned car. I have done my decent research and fair share of TDs, but not sure if I am looking at it the right way.

Long story
I have been driving DSG vehicles for a long time, and I am spoilt by the driving comfort of the same. My last purchase was a Tiguan Allspace, with 2 small kids now part of our usual journeys, we needed a larger car with more seats, Allspace was the only one offering the value proposition within a decent price range. Now, the CBU unit comes with some pristine quality features like frontal assist, [Mod-dable] ACC, lane assist, auto hold etc.
Now, this being a petrol vehicle and me doing over 200km+ every week on the country side, this is becoming an expensive proposition, when the car is not fully occupied.
My second car is a 2016 Skoda Rapid Diesel Black edition (DSG again). Nothing to really fault on that car, but after switching from AllSpace, it feels little bad on handling and features.
So, I began exploring a [max] 30L compact car, probably a luxury brand badge, but mainly focusing of Driver assist and safety features. Also, wanted to pick only a diesel vehicle, newer than 2017.
I started out with Q3, but found it really outdated (interiors/features) and unnecessarily overpriced. Then fixated on A3 for a while (really found hard to spot a S-Line variant which is newer than 2017 or less than 30k-40k mileage). Finally, when I did a TD, was again disappointed with the feature list (not even keyless entry!!). While the drive was still enjoyable.
And somehow stumbled upon Volvo v60 Cross country. Seemed like a really wild card choice, though the handling was very different from a DSG, the car otherwise felt very premium and feature rich. And with 200mm+ ground clearance, seemed like a perfect partner for country drives. (Still not sure if it has Lane assist, parking pilot etc., figuring it out...). This is the closest to what I have come to like, but still can't make the decision.

So, before I make a decision...

tl;dr: Is there a car (pre-owned) which I can get in ~30L, which has great driver assistance and safety features (360 sensors, lane assist, collision avoidance, ACC etc.) , which runs on diesel? I am quite surprised that are no compact sedans which are fully
loaded in this aspect. Or did I miss any obvious models? In a crude way, like Octavia/Superb with a luxury brand badge?

Really appreciate any feedback/suggestions.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks