Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2010, 10:40   #151
BHPian

Last time when I visited Maruti True Value, they said they offer Evaluation for external deals (buying from another individual - not involving True Value) also, for Rs.500/-.
Now when I called them they are saying they don't do that.
Anyone used their evaluation service?
Old 10th November 2010, 11:22   #152
BHPian

Quick Question guys. I found a used Honda Jazz and found the pickup to be quite low on inclines and the suspension not in great shape. It has done 30,000kms.

I understand the Jazz pickup tends to be low unless you rev to 3k RPM but I took a test drive from the showroom and found the test drive car to be much better. The showroom car had also done 12,000 kms but still seemed a lot better.

Now is this low pickup issue a deal breaker? or can it be something that can be easily fixed. Ditto about the suspension.

What do you guys think?
Old 11th November 2010, 11:38   #153
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
So, can you please tell me what all documents are required from the person who's buying a used car?
Complete list of documents in this article

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch.nathan View Post
Last time when I visited Maruti True Value, they said they offer Evaluation for external deals (buying from another individual - not involving True Value) also, for Rs.500/-.
Don't even bother with such third party arrangements. Better you get it done directly at an authorised service station.
Old 22nd November 2010, 15:43   #154
Distinguished - BHPian

Strange checkpoint here, but since it happened, you oughta do it.doesnt take much.

My fiesta was shod with 175 mrf zvts on all 4 wheels when i bought it ,used.
they had another 10-12k to go on them, so i stuck with them.
Now i was planning to change to 185 sections , and checked the spare, which i havnt used ever since i got the car.
turns out it IS a 185 bridgestone, and its shiny new!.
so looks like i lost out on new tyres when i got the car, whose earlier owner must have forgotten to remove the spare.

so, you might want to add this to the used car PDI, and at least ask if you face something like this..
me?
well, gives me a good excuse to splurge soon.
after all, if i have a puncture, i wouldnt want it to be riding on dissimilar tyres now, would i?
Old 6th December 2010, 13:35   #155
BHPian

I have booked a used car from Maruti TrueValue. They are saying I have to pay Rs.3000/- towards RTO charges for 'SMART CARD'. Can somebody throw some light on this? Is this mandatory?
Old 6th December 2010, 13:43   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisscross View Post
Quick Question guys. I found a used Honda Jazz and found the pickup to be quite low on inclines and the suspension not in great shape. It has done 30,000kms.

I understand the Jazz pickup tends to be low unless you rev to 3k RPM but I took a test drive from the showroom and found the test drive car to be much better. The showroom car had also done 12,000 kms but still seemed a lot better.

Now is this low pickup issue a deal breaker? or can it be something that can be easily fixed. Ditto about the suspension.

What do you guys think?
Generally Honda engines last pretty long. 30k kms is not the time for any engine trouble. It could be a case of fuel clog, spark plug etc. Better to ask the seller to set right that issue and buy it after. BTW, how much and which year ?

Quote:
I have booked a used car from Maruti TrueValue. They are saying I have to pay Rs.3000/- towards RTO charges for 'SMART CARD'. Can somebody throw some light on this? Is this mandatory?
3k is a huge sum to pay for trasfer of ownership. Enquire with your local RTO about this smart card thing and how much ? Mostly these dealers have a fixed sum for each transaction with the RTO (BRIBE). Stand firm and refuse to pay that. Ask for RTO receipts for all payments.

Last edited by esteem_lover : 6th December 2010 at 13:45.
Old 7th December 2010, 21:56   #157
BHPian

I have come across a 2008 Corolla Altis top end which has run 1,07,000 kms quoting at Rs 9.5 lakhs in Bangalore by Toyota U Trust ( Toyota's used car business ). Would this be a good buy? Also what are the points that i need to consider as evaluation tips?? What expenses should i expect in the next 30k kms?

Also what sort of an engine life do cars like Altis have?
Old 8th December 2010, 01:34   #158
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkateshkm View Post
2008 Corolla Altis top end which has run 1,07,000 kms quoting at Rs 9.5 lakhs in Bangalore by Toyota U Trust ( Toyota's used car business).
Not really sure what the Toyota U Trust personnel was smoking when they gave you this quote but I'm sure it must be some really expensive smack...

Last edited by Digital Vampire : 8th December 2010 at 01:36.
Old 8th December 2010, 09:02   #159
BHPian

Quote:
I have come across a 2008 Corolla Altis top end which has run 1,07,000 kms
2008 make and 1,07,000kms?!?

Even Airport-City shuttle taxi-cabs wouldn't have run so much in 2 years!!
Old 8th December 2010, 10:59   #160
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have come across a 2008 Corolla Altis top end which has run 1,07,000 kms quoting at Rs 9.5 lakhs in Bangalore by Toyota U Trust ( Toyota's used car business ). Would this be a good buy? Also what are the points that i need to consider as evaluation tips?? What expenses should i expect in the next 30k kms?

Quotes round about right for it of that vintage, off by about 1-1.5 L....i think thats because of the mileage(10-10.5 for an altis at a delhi dealer, done about 22k KM).
but dude, its a huge, HUGE number!!
for that kind of mileage in that amount of time, it does not need to have been driven prim and proper to have developed some issues.
that much running would need constant 24/7 on-the-road.
I'd suggest you give this buy a good-bye!!

As to the engines, they are usually bullet-proof, but still, too much happening with this car!

Last edited by mayankk : 8th December 2010 at 11:01.
Old 8th December 2010, 11:10   #161
BHPian

Quote:
I think they are trying to con you. As far as i know, the charge for a smart card is Rs. 250/- . And the charge for re registration for LMV is 105/-. So the total charge for you shouldn't cross Rs. 400/- .
Old 8th December 2010, 11:26   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Chetan, i did not have to pay anything. True Value arranged for everything, but they have a notice saying it will take upto 45 days for change in registration.
By the way, which car are you buying ? (sorry if i missed it among the many posts here). I know you were looking for a Zen.
Old 8th December 2010, 13:20   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

STAY AWAY from this deal. There would be plenty of niggles cropping up in a 1 lakh km plus car, the engine would be fine if well kept, but there are other mechanical and electrical stuff.
Old 20th January 2011, 12:50   #164
BHPian

Is duplicate RC book without original tax challan a deal breaker?

I have settled on a 2005 Feb MUV registered in Bangalore.The seller (who is the 1st owner and currently not based in Bangalore) says that the original RC book and the original Road tax challan were damaged due to carelessness and that he did not keep a make a copy of the original invoice or the loan closure papers.All he can provide is the duplicate RC book issued by the same RTO in 2008 with entries for the Road tax and the cancellation of the hypothecation in 2008.

Does this sound OK? Is it advisable to go ahead with the deal?

Last edited by Jaggu : 20th January 2011 at 12:55. Reason: Removing [Font] tags, please avoid copy paste from external font editors. Also Preview before Submitting new posts. Thanks
Old 20th January 2011, 13:19   #165
BHPian

Quote:
yes of late the manual handwritten RC books are being discarded and smart cards being issued...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks