Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2011, 14:30   #196
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

the dealers generally get the seller to sign un dated forms of transfer when they buy the car. this avoids them having to transfer the ownership to themselves. the buyer of the used car then becomes the second owner of the vehicle.
during the time the car is un sold and in the possession of the dealer it has to be covered by a minimum of at least third party insurance - it is illegal to keep the vehicle without insurance cover.
im sure most dealers have the infrastructure and contacts to get the paper work done. But before you buy, have the vehicle's service history checked thoroughly at the authorized service centre where it was looked after. Ask the dealer to show the records fully - this will help you.
Ref loop-holes -yes there are always iffy dealers and honest dealers - hence it helps if you have established a relationship with them over time - they are less likely to take you for a chukker this way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfanatic007 View Post
BHPians,

I have a query - I am interested in buying a pre-owned car and getting one which is less driven and price is in my range. I drove the car and it was ok. However issue is

1) the car is owned by a dealer now
2) Car is registered in company's name - SAP labs
3) a lady employee who purchased in the company's name left the company and as per company policy bought the car when she was leaving
4) Dealer says she didnt register the car and they also havent
5) Dealer says that the lady owner sold to them & left the city
6) Dealer says that he will get all paperwork done - NOC, form 29, registration & insurance also

Help i needed is that are there any possible loopholes I need to check with RTO etc.?
Old 6th September 2011, 13:11   #197
BHPian

I have following deals available

A Swift VDI, 80k Km Driven at Maruti True Value. Sep 2008 Model - 3.9 Lakhs?
A Ford Figo Titanium (Diesel) 35K Km Driven at Mahindra First Choice. July 2009 - 4.4 Lakh.
2 Fiat Punto 1.3 2009 Model. Red and Silver Colour. Around 37K Km Driven. At Mahindra First Choice - 4.55 and 4.65 Lakhs

My main requirement is diesel vechicle. I intend to keep this vechicle for 5-7 years so resale value is not a concerned.

So which one would you pick, if you had to?
Old 6th September 2011, 13:26   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
I have following deals available

A Swift VDI, 80k Km Driven at Maruti True Value. Sep 2008 Model - 3.9 Lakhs?
A Ford Figo Titanium (Diesel) 35K Km Driven at Mahindra First Choice. July 2009 - 4.4 Lakh.
2 Fiat Punto 1.3 2009 Model. Red and Silver Colour. Around 37K Km Driven. At Mahindra First Choice - 4.55 and 4.65 Lakhs

My main requirement is diesel vechicle. I intend to keep this vechicle for 5-7 years so resale value is not a concerned.

So which one would you pick, if you had to?
I will suggest you to go for Ford Figo as it is a 2009 model, run just 35K KMs and priced at 4.4 lakh. This deal seems better than the 80K KM old swift. As you will be keeping the car for next 4-5 years I will suggest you to go for low mileage vehicle.
bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2011, 13:33   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
I will suggest you to go for Ford Figo as it is a 2009 model, run just 35K KMs and priced at 4.4 lakh. This deal seems better than the 80K KM old swift. As you will be keeping the car for next 4-5 years I will suggest you to go for low mileage vehicle.
The only issue in this deal is the colour of dash which is red and I completely hate it.
What about Punto.

2009 Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 Multijet Emotion In Delhi. Colour Silver. Kms 39000. Single Owner. Price (Rs.) Rs.465000.

I am sure I can bring it down to 4.5 Lakhs easily.
Old 6th September 2011, 14:00   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
The only issue in this deal is the colour of dash which is red and I completely hate it.
What about Punto.

2009 Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 Multijet Emotion In Delhi. Colour Silver. Kms 39000. Single Owner. Price (Rs.) Rs.465000.

I am sure I can bring it down to 4.5 Lakhs easily.
If you are OK with TATA A.S.S then no issue with Punto, it's a nice car. Pricing is fine though you can bargain bit more.
Old 8th September 2011, 19:51   #201
BHPian

Buying a used car from a PoA holder

I have been looking for a pre-owned sedan, and have shortlisted one. There is a slight twist in the case. The car's registered owner is out-of-India and he has provided a power-of-attorney to his father for the sale. Haven't heard or come across something like this before and wanted some advice.

Any concerns or specific things i need to focus on to ensure it is a clean and transparent transaction.
Old 21st September 2011, 16:08   #202
Senior - BHPian

A colleague of mine has put up his Honda City, 1.3 EXI, 2000 model for sale. The car has run for 1.6 lakhs kilometers, the vehicle will be available for inspection on Monday only. I want to know from fellow members about the issues with this car will it be viable to buy this vehicle. Carwale price says Rs. 1.32 lakhs for fair condition. Need advice from fellow members
Old 26th September 2011, 08:13   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
A colleague of mine has put up his Honda City, 1.3 EXI, 2000 model for sale. The car has run for 1.6 lakhs kilometers, the vehicle will be available for inspection on Monday only. I want to know from fellow members about the issues with this car will it be viable to buy this vehicle. Carwale price says Rs. 1.32 lakhs for fair condition. Need advice from fellow members
As much as we love Honda for the reliability, my advise is to avoid this car given that its clocked 1.6l KMs.
You will get a decent used hatch within 2L budget.
C300 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2011, 08:22   #204
BHPian

Found a 2008 Civic V MT for 8 lacs. It has run around 25k km and seems to be in a good condition from the photos. Going to check the car in person today. If the car has it's servoce history in order and everything else is fine, is it a good deal??
Old 26th September 2011, 20:36   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
Buying a used car from a PoA holder. The car's registered owner is out-of-India and he has provided a power-of-attorney to his father for the sale. Haven't heard or come across something like this before and wanted some advice.

Any concerns or specific things i need to focus on to ensure it is a clean and transparent transaction.
Holding a PoA empowers the person to make decisions on the owner's behalf so you should not face any issues in making the purchase. Do make sure that you get a copy of the PoA (insist on seeing a copy before making any payment).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrenalinJunkie View Post
Found a 2008 Civic V MT for 8 lacs. It has run around 25k km and seems to be in a good condition from the photos. Going to check the car in person today. If the car has it's service history in order and everything else is fine, is it a good deal??
As is the case with any used vehicle, check for a valid pollution certificate and examine the tyre treads. Take a test drive and listen for any unusual noises. On a cold start, you should not face difficulty or hear a squeaking noise (sometimes hard to get rid of it). If everything checks out fine, you can spend on having a mechanic do a final check of the vehicle and then make the purchase.
Old 9th October 2011, 12:59   #206

Hi..
Am in the market looking for a pre-owned BMW 320d,

and recently i came across 320d highline model dec 2009,
test drove the car on a short drive and felt gud ... nuthin to complain
the dealer is asking for 20L, is it a gud price. it doesnt include BMW secure or BSI package. But it comes with the entertainment package.

Also is there a way to get iti certified from some bmw expert?

please suggest
thanks
bharat
Old 31st October 2011, 16:39   #207
BHPian

Hi!

My uncle has a 1999 Zen Vxi. Done 207850 kms. Interiors good. Tyres good. Engine needs some work. He told me to take the car for free. But I'll pay him whatever it's worth (Bhopal True value is offering him 55K). The car is in Bhopal and I work in Bangalore. So following are the questions:

1. Should I take a car that has so many kms on its oddo?

2. How smooth is the registration process here? Anyone know any super RTO agent?

3. If I drive it on MP04 plate, how long can I drive it in Bangalore? (My friend who uses his TN09 car in Bangalore says it should be no problem. But then again, he's from a bordering state.)

4. What is the approximate road-tax, registration fee etc?

5. Is it easy & cheaper to maintain?

I don't have a lot of money to buy a used car right now. Saving for my wedding next year. And yeah, I've always wanted to own a Zen.

Last edited by creative420 : 31st October 2011 at 16:54. Reason: more info
Old 9th November 2011, 15:45   #208
BHPian

Hi,

Since I am planning to buy a Second Hand bike, I wanted to know, if the documentation process is the same for Cars and Bikes?

Regards,
MaSh
Old 24th November 2011, 00:27   #209
BHPian

How to check the service records of older used cars (say 7-9 years old)?
As almost all the dealers refused to provide history saying that owners often get them serviced from ourside garages, so its impossible to keep such history. In a way its right, but in such cases how to verify if the car is free from any major damage or accident?
Do such repairs, no matter how clean, are caught by good mechanics or service center guys?
Old 24th November 2011, 02:06   #210
Senior - BHPian

If you know anyone in the insurance industry, you can verify the accident part. But AFAIK, do not buy a car which does not have a continuous insurance history. Also if you have someone on the inside in an A.S.S of that particular company, at least the initial service history etc can be checked.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks