Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2015, 01:27   #481

Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

Thank you for all your replies, they make sense and am glad I reached out for advice. I didn't go through with the deal, predominantly because on checking the car in person, I realized that it had an accident because of which many parts were replaced.
Also, I am seriously considering a first hand buy to save me from all the hassle. The search goes on simultaneously, for both new and used options. For new I am looking at i20 elite or Polo. I like the look of a Polo, find it very classy. The build us strong, and has abs and air bags in mid variants. Elite, while the look is jazzed up, safety features are not much in the mid variants. Keeping a budget of around 6.5.

For used cars I am looking at sedans as options, let's see how it goes.

Really appreciate all your advice and looking forward to more.
Old 23rd March 2015, 00:14   #482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swangdi View Post

Also, I am seriously considering a first hand buy to save me from all the hassle. The search goes on simultaneously, for both new and used options. For new I am looking at i20 elite or Polo. I like the look of a Polo, find it very classy. The build us strong, and has abs and air bags in mid variants. Elite, while the look is jazzed up, safety features are not much in the mid variants. Keeping a budget of around 6.5.

For used cars I am looking at sedans as options, let's see how it goes.
Im in the market looking with the same budget and same dilemma. I did test drive the elite i20 petrol, the steering was very uninspiring. And the polo petrol engine is very sluggish. The i20 has this better engine and more gizmos, but the polo takes it away in dynamics.
I wasnt able to decide between either, so now im looking for a used vento highline. 😁
Old 23rd March 2015, 11:51   #483
Team-BHP Support

While this video is not about a car easily available in India, it shows some interesting places to check for the metal cancer aka rust:
Old 4th April 2015, 23:46   #484
BHPian

Hi! I currently own a Baleno 2007 and have always wanted to own a Safari/Estate. Both these cars were owned by my dad when I was a kid but were sold off for various reasons. Ever since I always wanted to buy one. Whenever I begin looking for a used Safari the prices are always high. Two days ago I came across a 2000 and 2002 model Safari with earlier priced at 1.3L and later at 1.12L while the outlook is fairly decent the kms in 2000 is at 157000kms and on 2002 it is 96000kms. I am inclined to go for it as I cannot buy a new or latest used models.

Do any of you still own the old Safari models? How many times can we get FC for these cars? I need help in understanding what is TCIC, variants, is it 4x4 or 4x2, areas of concerns, spares, etc.. My driving is only during weekends for about 50kms and long drives once 6months.

All advices and suggestions will be valued

Last edited by petrolhead_chn : 4th April 2015 at 23:48.
Old 6th April 2015, 12:07   #485
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_chn View Post
Do any of you still own the old Safari models? How many times can we get FC for these cars? I need help in understanding what is TCIC, variants, is it 4x4 or 4x2, areas of concerns, spares, etc.. My driving is only during weekends for about 50kms and long drives once 6months.
I think you can ask this guy below for experiences. However for the sort of driving pattern you mention a safari is overkill, just get a regular sedan.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...-counting.html
Old 2nd May 2015, 16:56   #486

An update on my previous post - I test drove the elite asta (petrol) and the polo high line (petrol) and decided (almost) on the polo. I loved the driving in it as well as the super class feel in it. I was almost going in for it, but then I am getting a really good deal on a Honda city 2010 model (petrol). Its a top end model and has been driven for 39 k kms. I have been quoted 5.3 lakhs for it, but am trying to round it up for 5l... Fingers crossed. I think this is the car, as much as I love the polo, here's a good opportunity for me to upgrade from a hatchback to a sedan. It has some very minor scratches, but besides that it seems pretty fine. Also, its a single owner owned car. The dealer is also reliable. I need to get the insurance done for it, as well as pay the Hyderabad road tax though.

Any thoughts?
Old 4th May 2015, 14:51   #487

Quote:
An update on my previous post - I test drove the elite asta (petrol) and the polo high line (petrol) and decided (almost) on the polo. I loved the driving in it as well as the super class feel in it. I was almost going in for it, but then I am getting a really good deal on a Honda city 2010 model (petrol). Its a top end model and has been driven for 39 k kms. I have been quoted 5.3 lakhs for it, but am trying to round it up for 5l... Fingers crossed. I think this is the car, as much as I love the polo, here's a good opportunity for me to upgrade from a hatchback to a sedan. It has some very minor scratches, but besides that it seems pretty fine. Also, its a single owner owned car. The dealer is also reliable. I need to get the insurance done for it, as well as pay the Hyderabad road tax though.

Any thoughts?
I hope you do understand that the Hyderabad road tax will be anything between 1-2 Lks being more closer to 2 than 1 so eventually your car value comes up to close to 7 . I think you can get lot of iconic sedans in the 5L range. Do not hesitate to go for 2-5 year old Sedans as this is the time of peak performance for a car especially sedan. For 7 you can get a very very decent Honda Civic. Try to look for Fiat Linea, SX4, Ford Fiesta which will serve you much better.
Old 4th May 2015, 20:31   #488
BHPian

I have a bit of a situation with buying back the car from my employer. I have a 2008 DL registered Corolla which is in the name of my employer. I have since then moved to Mumbai and have paid for the card vide my Full and Final setlement.

My previous employer is not willing to transfer the car in anyone else and insisting on transferring it only to me. 'They are willing to sign the transfer papers and also procure an NOC from the Delhi RTO.

I do not have any proof of residence in Delhi and cant even get it registered in my name there. Anyone can guide me on
1. What documents does my previous employer need to give me
2. What is the process for registering the car in my name in Mumbai.

Will greatly appreciate any guidance
Old 5th May 2015, 13:55   #489
BHPian

Quote:

Any thoughts?
Road Tax in Hyderabad is going to cost you quite a bit. Find out from friends or others that might have done that recently. In 2013, one of my colleagues moved over from Kolkata and he had to shell road tax to the tune of 10.5% of the original invoiced cost for his 5 year old SX4. IMHO, you can find a Hyderabad registered Honda City in the second hand market pretty easily. Until last week, I had mine up for sale.

-Kalyan
Old 6th May 2015, 17:49   #490

Hi Folks,

**Long post, please bear with me.

A noob here, I have been reading about lateral upgrades and how a used car makes so much sense financially. I have a budget of 7.5 Lakhs and was planning to buy the i20 Elite (petrol) for my parents, but after having spent a month reading through the forum, I have decided to spend some time looking at used car options, specifically sedans, before making a purchase decision.

My needs/prioirites :
Budget : 7.5 L max (slightly flexible for a good car, but lower the better)
Car age : 2-3 years old only (post 2012 models)
Place of purchase : Mumbai
Car type : Sedan/Premium Hatchback
Kms run : 20000 max
Looking for : Reliability and hassle free-ownership, safety, features (in that order). It doesnt have to be an enthusiast car, as it will be primarily driven by Mom/Dad, city driveability and comfort are primary.

The i20 Elite was my preference as I found it an easy to drive city car, hassle free to maintain, with a good kit and lots of bells and whistles and with a good ASS network. To me, reliability and hassle free-ownership is the most important, as I want this to not be a mental burden for my parents to maintain.

However, upon reading through the T-BHP forum, I think 7.5L is a tidy budget for a pre-worshipped sedan, and I'd like to understand what kind of cars should I be looking at with all these factors in mind.

We plan to own the car for at least the next 5 years / 50kms.

Most of the posts I read referred to cars from 2-3 years ago(great articles, thanks GTO), I dont see anything very current for a used sedan, MODS please point me to the thread if there exists a resource for this already.

P.S: I drive a baleno myself, and love it to bits.
Old 7th May 2015, 00:47   #491
BHPian

It makes alot of sense to go for a pre-worshipped sedan as they depreciate like anything.
With a budget of 7.5L you can have cars like Dzire, SX4, Amaze, City, Xcent, Vento, Rapid, Ford Classic etc.

Considering that Reliability and hassle free ownership experience are your main concerns, you can go with the City (previous generation), it is a brilliant product, extremely reliable, and you will easily be able to get one in excellent condition well within your budget. The only downside is that it has now been discontinued but availability of spares will not be a problem atleast for the next 5 years.

Alternatively you can go for Dzire, it is cheaper than City and more importantly Maruti and Reliability go hand in hand.

You can also look for the Automatic transmission variants of some of the cars mentioned above, for eg : AT version of City would be easy to get in the Used Car market.

Another car which might suit your requirements is Brio AT, although it is not a premium hatch, but is otherwise a brilliant city car.
Mr.mitsuvolk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2015, 11:23   #492

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.mitsuvolk View Post
Considering that Reliability and hassle free ownership experience are your main concerns, you can go with the City (previous generation), it is a brilliant product, extremely reliable, and you will easily be able to get one in excellent condition well within your budget. The only downside is that it has now been discontinued but availability of spares will not be a problem atleast for the next 5 years.
Thanks, I have had the City in mind as well. Would someone who has used one tell me what the maintenance costs would be like per year into the 3-7 years range. Just rounded approx figures, so I can factor in this into the cost of ownership. Also, are Honda spares/services costly, say as compared to other brands in the same segment (e.g VW Vento / Hyundai Verna)?

Quote:
Alternatively you can go for Dzire, it is cheaper than City and more importantly Maruti and Reliability go hand in hand.
I agree, but Dad isnt too big a fan of the Dzire's looks. So it will have to be the second choice for now.

Quote:
You can also look for the Automatic transmission variants of some of the cars mentioned above, for eg : AT version of City would be easy to get in the Used Car market.
That is a good idea, my mom would love the convenience of an AT. What is the real-life average I can expect of an AT with the AC on all the time. My driving is mostly city with some smooth sections of road thrown in.

Quote:
Another car which might suit your requirements is Brio AT, although it is not a premium hatch, but is otherwise a brilliant city car.
I love that lil car, but again, I dont think my dad would be too chuffed about it. So ruling it out for now.
Old 7th May 2015, 12:07   #493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-R View Post
Thanks, I have had the City in mind as well. Would someone who has used one tell me what the maintenance costs would be like per year into the 3-7 years range. Just rounded approx figures, so I can factor in this into the cost of ownership. Also, are Honda spares/services costly, say as compared to other brands in the same segment (e.g VW Vento / Hyundai Verna)?
We have both Honda (Brio) and VW (Polo) and I can safely say that the maintenance costs of a Honda are cheaper as compared to VW. Can't comment on Hyundai but there shouldn't be much of a difference between the ownership costs of a Hyundai and Honda.
I would have definitely recommended you to look for a Vento as I am a very satisfied VW owner, my Polo has been very very reliable (I am saying this after clocking 55k kms) but in general the Germans are not considered to be very reliable.
Also since this car will be primarily used by your parents, better not to take any chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-R View Post
What is the real-life average I can expect of an AT with the AC on all the time. My driving is mostly city with some smooth sections of road thrown in.
The real life average should be anywhere between 7-11 depending upon the manner of driving and the traffic conditions.

Last edited by Mr.mitsuvolk : 7th May 2015 at 12:09.
Mr.mitsuvolk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2015, 22:16   #494
MrA
BHPian

Guys, could you please give any suggestions regarding car valuation reports available on various websites like cartrade, indianbluebook, carwale etc. I'm trying to purchase a used 2014 Fluidic Verna 1.6 SX VTVT in Srinagar. New car costs around 11L OTR and these websites are evaluating the car at around 7.5L, is the evaluation right? The car is in good condition and has run about 8000Kms.
Old 9th May 2015, 17:43   #495
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrA View Post
Guys, could you please give any suggestions regarding car valuation reports available on various websites like cartrade, indianbluebook, carwale etc. I'm trying to purchase a used 2014 Fluidic Verna 1.6 SX VTVT in Srinagar. New car costs around 11L OTR and these websites are evaluating the car at around 7.5L, is the evaluation right? The car is in good condition and has run about 8000Kms.
Hi MrA,

Unfortunately i cannot help you with your query. I would be grateful if you could help answer some of mine.

I too am looking for a used car (or the new nano) for a city car in Srinagar.

1. What is the used car market like and where can i find listings? Any reputable used car outlets to consider?
(I am currently in Canada and most of the online sites seem to have no real traction in Kashmir or the market is just too small. Jammu seems to have better cars both quality and quantity wise).

2. How bad are the roads post floods? (Have you been back?)

3. How safe is the used market due to the high possibility of a refurbished flooded vehicle?

4. How much is the road tax in J&K for a new vehicle? And roughly what would i be looking at for insurance of say a hatchback valued between 4-5L?

Great to see another Kashir on Team-bhp.

B.B

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks