Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2016, 11:19   #631
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

Quick question - and this is more about whether to buy a used car, especially when I have a ~ 2 year old petrol Amaze, which I do like.

When I bought the Amaze, my usage was invariably short haul - I work from home and rarely take the car out except to drop kids at school, or visit relatives within the city limits.

My usage pattern recently changed so that I need to drive chennai - bangalore and back at least once or twice a month on a regular basis. This ends up rather thirsty on petrol and meanwhile my wife and kids are car-less for two or three days.

So I see two alternatives, get down at Bangalore city station and take a zoomcar all the way to whitefield and back (ugh) or find a used and decent quality diesel burner of some kind as a second car for these highway trips.

What would be a better car on highways that's in the 4 to 5 lakh bracket, diesel burner, and is a better ride on highways? (ride comfort / seat support is a very important thing given I have a bad back, well behaved and responsive steering is another, so no hyundais please).

Yes I can take test drives, but it is a rare dealer or first owner who would be in a mood to let me take it out on a long highway trip as a test drive, so better ask for opinions before I start calling up owners and dealers. Thanks folks.
Old 23rd January 2016, 13:16   #632
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Quick question - and this is more about whether to buy a used car, especially when I have a ~ 2 year old petrol Amaze, which I do like.

When I bought the Amaze, my usage was invariably short haul - I work from home and rarely take the car out except to drop kids at school, or visit relatives within the city limits.

My usage pattern recently changed so that I need to drive chennai - bangalore and back at least once or twice a month on a regular basis. This ends up rather thirsty on petrol and meanwhile my wife and kids are car-less for two or three days.

So I see two alternatives, get down at Bangalore city station and take a zoomcar all the way to whitefield and back (ugh) or find a used and decent quality diesel burner of some kind as a second car for these highway trips.

What would be a better car on highways that's in the 4 to 5 lakh bracket, diesel burner, and is a better ride on highways? (ride comfort / seat support is a very important thing given I have a bad back, well behaved and responsive steering is another, so no hyundais please).

Yes I can take test drives, but it is a rare dealer or first owner who would be in a mood to let me take it out on a long highway trip as a test drive, so better ask for opinions before I start calling up owners and dealers. Thanks folks.
Choices are many in the used category. SX4 Diesel, Vento TDI, Dzire Diesel, Etios Diesel and Sunny/Scala are good cars. For hatchbacks, you can consider i20 Diesel but steering response isn't upto the mark.

I did see some Vento TDIs from 4.5 L here in NCR and all were in decent condition. Only problem I see is the resale value and NVH from earlier batches. At those prices and with that engine, this car was a steal.
Dzire would be another apt choice for you since it has a surprisingly good seats, national engine and a good reputation (and resale). Finding one would not be difficult given your budget.

What I feel is that you should continue with the Amaze and get a cheap petrol hatchback for family. Major problem I see is that there would be no car when you're out with the Amaze. Petrol bills would be more or less same as a diesel car in the long run (and considering the initial 4-5 L investment you have to make first). You can keep at 2-2.5 L budget and get a 2012-2013 WagonR or i10 with less than 50k on the odometer. It will serve your family well and will be the second car (which you won't have to use often, thus comfort and dynamics can be ignored). After some calculations you will see that the cost in both the cases would be in similar range.

- Spending 5 Lac on a Diesel car, with 18 kmpl FE (as primary car, consider saving of fuel costs as compared to Amaze petrol)

- Spending 2.5-3 Lac on a Petrol hatchback, with 13 kmpl FE (to be used at home)

If you need I can do a quick calculation also.
swift_guy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2016, 13:19   #633
Senior - BHPian

Thanks! I would normally stick with the amaze, which is a superb car for long drives except for the fact that the seats are pure hell on my back when driving 5..6 hours, even with a neck pillow and wooden bead curtain. Horrible ergonomics even integrated rather than adjustable headrest. That ruins what is otherwise a superb car for the price point.
Old 23rd January 2016, 14:12   #634
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post

Hi hserus,

My suggestion:

Travel to Bangalore by a train or a comfortable bus leaving Amaze with your family. At Bangalore, hire a cab with 8 hours package; pay extra per hour if you exceed 8 hours. Your risk will be reduced. You will not get that tired. You will save on the maintenance of the diesel car. In case the situation changes and you do no need to travel that frequently, your money will not be blocked in Diesel car.

Few times a year, I travel to Hyderabad. I put up in the same hotel every time. And I have taken the phone numbers of few Autorickshaw owners (whom I found to be decent and punctual), who live nearby my hotel. I call one of them and he is with me for the whole day. I pay them around Rs. 550-600.

When you start hiring a taxi during your regular visits, locate a reliable and decent taxi and take down the phone number of the driver. Negotiate charges with him one time. He will be with you right from your arrival till your departure.

Last edited by Rahul Bhalgat : 23rd January 2016 at 14:15.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2016, 14:44   #635
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
At Bangalore, hire a cab with 8 hours package; pay extra per hour if you exceed 8 hours. Your risk will be reduced. phone numbers of few Autorickshaw owners.

Thanks.

Hyderabad is a tiny city, relatively speaking and with far less traffic. Bangalore city station to or from Whitefield during peak hours can take 2 to 2.5 hours.

KR Puram to Whitefield is also a longish distance though highway travel so comparatively quicker. Not too many convenient train options on the arrival run as the morning Shatabdi doesn't stop anywhere other than Bangalore city.

So yes I considered cab and zoomcar which works out far cheaper than cab, rejected both after having tried them.
Old 9th February 2016, 17:44   #636

Guys, it is after a long time I return to my favorite thread on TB. Reminds me of the good times I spent here and the amazing suggestions I got.

So I am BACK for a quick suggestion. I have a Maruti Esteem 1999, 93k on Odo which is in pretty good condition. The engine is still so beautiful and I am limiting myself to get off track and stop writing about her because it makes it more difficult.

Now I have lost the old RC Book and I was the second owner, I tried to change the ownership after a year( I was Out of the country) when the owner refused to sign for issuing of new RC Book. So practically I cannot sell the car even if I wanted to. I did not pursue further since it gave me an excuse to live further with the car. But recently I am realizing that I am not able to use it as frequently since its 2nd car and soon to be pushed to 3rd since I need a Nano for city drive.

So my question is what do I do with the car? Sell it as scrap? Not sure how it works? How much can I expect? Do I go and park it in some jungle where she dies peacefully??

Looking forward to suggestions. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images/smilies/Please.gif
Old 15th February 2016, 17:47   #637

Hello Team!
Can you please help me decide which used car to buy from these two deals?
  1. 2011 Skoda Rapid Petrol Elegance - 39000kms - 5 Lakhs - 1st owner - Leather seats
  2. 2011 Volkswagen Vento Petrol Highline - 19000kms - 5.6 Lakhs - 1st owner - Leather seats/ upgraded bluetooth music system

Both cars have valid insurance for next 10 months.
I do not know the minute differences of Engine performance between the two. Both were smooth and comfortable to me while driving.
Vento is looking relatively new compared to Rapid, both interiors and exteriors.

Which car is better Vento vs Rapid when considerign the following:
1. Based on the car life (5 yrs) and kms covered
2. My main use is for long drives outside Bangalore
3. Regular maintenance cost & long run repairs, etc
4. Overall VFM (i.e price and experience)

I would really appreciate your inputs.

Thanks,
Baagi
Old 15th February 2016, 18:19   #638
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baagi View Post
Hello Team!

Thanks,
Baagi
Welcome to Team-BHP.
From the listed options I would suggest you to go for the Vento. You are getting a very less used car and has an updated ICE as well. Also VW services are slightly better than Skoda.
However, I feel you should also look out for used Honda Citys if that's ok with you. City will be more reliable in the longer run when you don't have warranty in your car and the maintenance will also be a tad cheaper.

Regards,
Shreyak
shreyak_ss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2016, 20:17   #639
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Team!
Can you please help me decide which used car to buy from these two deals?

Which car is better Vento vs Rapid when considerign the following:
1. Based on the car life (5 yrs) and kms covered
2. My main use is for long drives outside Bangalore
3. Regular maintenance cost & long run repairs, etc
4. Overall VFM (i.e price and experience)

Thanks,
Baagi
Both Rapid and Vento aren't that great to drive in petrol. Out of the two, I would pick the Vento due to slightly better after sales and brand confidence (than Skoda). Basically they are the same inside and you can opt for Rapid if Skoda ASS at your place is good. At 39k kms, it will be having more tyre life than Vento at 19k. How long (and for how much running?) are you planning to keep the car? Remember that a car that wasn't reliable new won't be reliable used.

Otherwise look at Honda City 3rd gen (around 2009) for better drivability, Dzire (around 2011 or New model around 2012) for better peace of mind/resale or Hyundai i20 Diesel (one model before Elite i20). Since your use is on highways primarily, City would be a fine (and fun) car. If space isn't a priority, consider spending more and getting a new B-segment hatch or compact sedan.

Last edited by swift_guy : 15th February 2016 at 20:20.
swift_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2016, 07:19   #640

Thank you shreyak_ss & swift_guy for your inputs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyak_ss View Post
However, I feel you should also look out for used Honda Citys if that's ok with you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swift_guy View Post
Otherwise look at Honda City 3rd gen (around 2009) for better drivability. City would be a fine (and fun) car.
I am somehow biased towards German cars. But I guess I should rethink.
Any particular trim in Honda City I should look for? Or just anything newer than 2009 will do?

Quote:
Basically they are the same inside and you can opt for Rapid if Skoda ASS at your place is good.
I heard Vinayak Skoda is good near my place in KR Puram. Please let me know if it is otherwise.

Quote:
How long (and for how much running?) are you planning to keep the car? Remember that a car that wasn't reliable new won't be reliable used.
I'm planning to keep this for at least 5 years (~50K kms). This is my first car, and I want it to be a fun car, along with reliability for long trips (If that's even possible?)

Also another parameter for me is budget. Unless there is a huge difference between the two cars, I do not want to go over 5 Lakhs.

Thanks,
Baagi
Old 16th February 2016, 09:47   #641
BHPian

Quote:
Any particular trim in Honda City I should look for? Or just anything newer than 2009 will do?
Any trim will do. City came with standard dual airbags, but SMT was the VFM variant of that time and there are high chances that you'll find one. Get a nanual only as you are planning for long drives. If SMTs are going for less than 5 Lacs, you can consider a VMT also but I don't find much improvement in that variant over SMT.

Quote:
I heard Vinayak Skoda is good near my place in KR Puram. Please let me know if it is otherwise.
No idea, I am from NCR. Is this the dealership you are talking about?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...than-tafe.html

Quote:
I'm planning to keep this for at least 5 years (~50K kms). This is my first car, and I want it to be a fun car, along with reliability for long trips (If that's even possible?)

Also another parameter for me is budget. Unless there is a huge difference between the two cars, I do not want to go over 5 Lakhs.
Are Vento and Rapid petrol fun cars? No. Are they reliable cars? No. After 5 years (50k kms), will you get enough takers for a 10 year (80-90k km run) German? No. The only positives I see are looks + quality (which you can brag about in your circle ) and a bit better space.

Your requirements scream "Honda". City is a fun car, refined as hell, loves high revvs, decent handling (with upgraded tyres), decent quality (60% of Germans) and much better brand value + reliability. 5 Lac should get you a decent well-maintained piece. Doesn't matter if it is a 2009 or 2010. At the end of the day, I would prefer 12 year old Honda over 10 year old Germans.

Last edited by swift_guy : 16th February 2016 at 09:51.
swift_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2016, 10:05   #642

Quote:
Are Vento and Rapid petrol fun cars? No. Are they reliable cars? No. After 5 years (50k kms), will you get enough takers for a 10 year (80-90k km run) German? No. The only positives I see are looks + quality (which you can brag about in your circle ) and a bit better space.
Your requirements scream "Honda". City is a fun car, refined as hell, loves high revvs, decent handling (with upgraded tyres), decent quality (60% of Germans) and much better brand value + reliability.
Wow! This changes my whole perspective. Thanks for the deatiled analysis swift_guy. I'm glad to be a BHPian. You Rock!

Quote:
Any trim will do. City came with standard dual airbags, but SMT was the VFM variant of that time and there are high chances that you'll find one. Get a nanual only as you are planning for long drives.
Cool. I will start my search again then. Any other cars I should look for apart from City?

Quote:
Yes this is the one. Thanks for taking time to find this thread.

-Baagi
Old 16th February 2016, 11:23   #643
BHPian

Quote:
Cool. I will start my search again then. Any other cars I should look for apart from City?
Apart from Honda City, you can check out Toyota Corolla and Renault Fluence as well.

As for Corolla is concerned, I have bought one in Oct 2015 which had run 45k, was a 2006 model for Rs. 3.1 lakhs and I am enjoying my car and recommend it without any doubts. You can also check out this thread (to be specific, this thread is the sole reason for me to be a Corolla owner today).

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...xperience.html

As for Fluence is concerned, I have heard their Diesel engine is very good and you get good pre-owned cars, but you may have to bargain hard since its production is stopped now.

Regards,
KK
KK_HakunaMatata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2016, 11:39   #644
BHPian

Quote:
I would say stick to 5-6 year old cars, less than 50k km run and in the range of 9-10 Lacs (when new). Bigger than City (like Civic, etc.) would be hard to drive in traffic for a new driver and older models would be hard to sell after 5 more years. These big less-reliable cars seem to be very tempting, but can turn into a money pit if you don't select the perfect example. You can even have an Accord at that price, but it is nice to strike a balance between price and product. Too high price, too bad product is not worth buying (you can spend a bit more and get a new one). Too low price, too good product is also not worth buying (you will have to spend a lot on maintenance and upkeep). Search for the perfect balance at a price.

Apart from City, you can check out the Fluidic Verna (would come just around 5 Lac), SX4 and Etios. Verna is not much fun due to suspension issues of 2011 versions and Etios will not be as premium as the City (but is a hoot to drive). SX4 is a good compromise and absolute VFM at the price it sells for. It is great to drive and refined and most importantly, was not a total market dud like its diesel counterpart. If you find a good deal for SX4, it is also worth considering. Etios is a extremely reliable and fun to drive car. Out on the highway, you will be satisfied with the engine performance. NVH and quality are not in the league of City, or even Dzire.

But truth is that 3rd gen City doesn't have a true competitor and will come out as the perfect car everytime. You can search below (Etios) and above (Civic) but nothing matches the City at that price.

Dzire is also one great practical car to own. Makes no sense in front of SX4, but enjoys a better market position due to its success. You can easily get 2012+ less used models, which are nice and refined (me driving the same engine, though in hatchback avatar).

Last edited by swift_guy : 16th February 2016 at 11:48.
swift_guy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th February 2016, 18:43   #645
BANNED

Guys need your help in buying used car in Bangalore. My driving need on week day is roughly 30 km within city limits, on week end it is very erratic, starting from 0 km - 500+ km . initially was bitten by Fiat bug, have driven my friend's Punto Diesel and love the way she drives but could not find a good deal.
How would be Nissan Micra XV (Petrol), 2012 make, 35k driven for 3.5L. Any other suggestion on 3 to 4 years old 30K to 40K driven in 3 to 4 lakh bracket.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks