Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2016, 20:56   #676
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

rohitnp, Thad E Ginathom, TD_GHY, mayankk

Thanks a ton for all the suggestions. Will show your replies to my friend just to support my point and case. He still a bit blind sighted as he has been waiting to buy this car since a while and the guy is selling at quite a cut throat price.

Anyways, just to clarify one more point. If I am buying an Used car, I am guessing for sure that the owner or the title holder of the car papers needs to sign off the paperwork ? And not someone who is currently in possession of the car.
Old 4th March 2016, 21:43   #677
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnniHilat0R View Post
Anyways, just to clarify one more point. If I am buying an Used car, I am guessing for sure that the owner or the title holder of the car papers needs to sign off the paperwork ? And not someone who is currently in possession of the car.
In my place, that is the case. The one in whose name the car is currently registered needs to sign (in case of his or her death, the legal heir. Even this has some clauses associated with it). Not sure about the rules of Mumbai RTO. But it seems most logical to have sign of the title holder rather than that of the current vehicle user.
TD_GHY is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2016, 23:03   #678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnniHilat0R View Post
rohitnp, Thad E Ginathom, TD_GHY, mayankk

Thanks a ton for all the suggestions. Will show your replies to my friend just to support my point and case. He still a bit blind sighted as he has been waiting to buy this car since a while and the guy is selling at quite a cut throat price.

Cheers mate! Just happy to share whatever information I think I know. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, specially Thad E Ginathom. Your experience is so much more valuable in the real world. Correct me if I am wrong.

And regarding your question AnniHilat0R, I think the person in possession of the vehicle does not have any legal ownership over the vehicle unless transferred within a stipulated time, usually 15-30 days. This is assuming he has a sale letter from the original owner. This is again valid in the case of insurance wherein one cannot claim insurance on a vehicle not owned by oneself. It has to be claimed by the registered owner incase of vehicle accidents.
rohitnp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2016, 06:39   #679
BHPian

rohitnp and TD_GHY, thanks a lot once again guys. Truly appreciate your help. Will try and knock some sense into my friend and just ask him to avoid this car. Thanks again
Old 5th March 2016, 18:05   #680
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitnp View Post
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, specially Thad E Ginathom. Your experience is so much more valuable in the real world. Correct me if I am wrong.
Hmmm, I've only lived in India for eleven years! Somehow, though, I am now onto my fourth car here, but it is the first time have both bought used and done the paperwork myself (where "myself" absolutely includes my wife!).

I would have thought, on general principles, that the seller's name and signature on the papers must be that of the current registered owner. Anything else would make theft/fraud/etc just too simple, and if it cannot be done (eg in the case of death or incapacitation of the owner) there would have to be weighty documentation explaining to the complete satisfaction of the RTO. Ownership is ownership.

(In UK, we have the concept of the keeper of a car. I have twice insured and driven a car that was not registered in my name. The first time, it belonged to a girlfriend who was given it by a parent, but didn't want to actually drive it; the second time, I inherited the car from my late mother. On both occasions it was easy to insure in my name. In fact, with my mum's car, I did it so I could drive to the hospital in it. We arrived at her house, called the insurers, and drive off.

I don't know how that works here. I don't recall if I transferred my mum's car to my name, or sold it as the representative of her estate.)
Old 5th April 2016, 20:53   #681
BHPian

Hi All. I need advice. I'm buying a used car for my company - a private limited entity. All other checks have held up and the car in general looks fine. I'm trying to figure out the documents needed to register the car in the company's name. Will be grateful for any information provided as the internet is awfully silent on this.

The state of registration is Karnataka. Thanks!
Old 6th April 2016, 17:10   #682
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordavenger View Post
I'm trying to figure out the documents needed to register the car in the company's name.
Hello lordavenger!

Apparently, Registering/ Transferring vehicle on a business name is pretty much similar to registering against an individual’s name; you only need to submit your company documents instead of your personal documents, below is the procedure for transfer of ownership within the same RTO as per the Karnataka RTO portal.

Application & Documents to be produced:
1. Form no CMV 29 in duplicate.
2. Form no. CMV 30. If vehicle is covered under Hypothecation/HPA/Lease form CMV 30 shall be produced in duplicate with the consent of financier.
3. Registration Certificate, valid insurance, emission Certificate, Fitness certificate in case of transport vehicle, Tax card with up-to-date tax paid proof.
4. Address proof in original as per rule 4 of CMV rules. .
5. In case of LMVs and transport vehicles PAN card. If there is no PAN number form no 61 in case of agriculturists and form no. 60 in case of others.
6. Three passport size photographs of the transferee.

Procedure: Application along with above documents shall be submitted at the Registration Section.

Documents Required If Rgistering Against Company Name (Point 4 above)

ID Proof
1 PAN Card
2. Any one of the following:
Sales / VAT / TIN Certificate / Certificate of Incorporation

Address Proof
Any of the following:
MTNL / BSNL/ Electricity bill VAT/ Sales Tax Registration certificate
ShreyasM8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2016, 10:02   #683
BHPian

Hi All

I need your advise on buying a used car. I dont know if i am posting in correct forum or not. Please guide me to correct one if i am not.
I live in delhi and want to buy a used sedan. I have a very tight budget. I want to know if buying a used 2006-7 model esteem would be a wise decision or not in terms of availability of parts ( oem and after market) and current laws for a out of production car. Guys please guide me as i am a noob on cars.
Old 18th April 2016, 10:13   #684
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeev29 View Post
Hi All

I need your advise on buying a used car. I dont know if i am posting in correct forum or not. Please guide me to correct one if i am not.
I live in delhi and want to buy a used sedan. I have a very tight budget. I want to know if buying a used 2006-7 model esteem would be a wise decision or not in terms of availability of parts ( oem and after market) and current laws for a out of production car. Guys please guide me as i am a noob on cars.
I would advise you to go for an old car in the range of 5 to 7 years - will give you peace of mind for next 4/5 years atleast. Look for first generation SX4 - parts are available, and second hand market is dirt cheap.
Moreover, legally, petrol vehicles are allowed for 15 years after RC.
Old 18th April 2016, 11:48   #685
BHPian

Thanks ptaneja will keep that in mind. But my budget wont allow me for sx4

NOTE FROM T-BHP SUPPORT: Please avoid using SLANG / SMS-lingo while posting. Read the Announcements carefully before proceeding. Thanks.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 18th April 2016 at 17:50. Reason: see note in post :)
Old 21st April 2016, 22:12   #686
BHPian

When looking up a car registration number through the Vahan SMS service, I sometimes get results like:

Quote:
UP14***** [Ghaziabad,UP]
Owner:1-****
Vehicle:MARUTI GYPSY(PETROL)
L.M.V. (CAR)
RC/FC Expiry:03-May-08
MV Tax upto:(LifeTime)
In this example, the Gypsy is supposed to be a 2006 model. How come the RC expires in 2008? Does this mean the seller is lying about the car manufacturing year?
Old 30th April 2016, 15:06   #687

Hi there,

I am considering to buy a pre owned fortuner in Bangalore, having heard a lot of stories regarding the fraud practices by dealers and also the selling owners I want some one to help me in this matter...

1) how do I check the odometer fraud?

2) when I get the service records from the seller, will it also be possible to cross check the same at the service centers?

3) what are the major mechanical or technical scrutiny which has to be taken care of?

4) will it be wise to buy a vehicle that is around 1,00,000 kms done?

any help in this regard would be appreciated..
thanks..
Old 18th May 2016, 12:56   #688

I am in the market for a new car but dads given me a budget of around 12lacks. I need a car with really good performance and a milege of more than 12kmpl.
These are my options:
1) A brand new Abarth Punto (145!!!)
2) A used c220 (great ones for aroud 13l)
3) A used 320d (rear wheel drive, and super fun)
4) used cruz and modify it a lot (friends got one and its amazing to drive)
5) used civic
6) used skoda laura (or is an octavia vrs better???)
what do you feel i should go for and where should i go to buy a good used merc or beemer??
Old 18th May 2016, 18:29   #689
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcGomez View Post
I am in the market for a new car but dads given me a budget of around 12lacks. I need a car with really good performance and a milege of more than 12kmpl.
You're being greedy. You want the eat the cake and have it too.

Stretch your budget (if you can) and buy a new S-Cross 1.6. That way you'll get more than 12 kmpl and great fun.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 19:10   #690
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcGomez View Post
These are my options:...........
By the talking, you look like a performance freak.

According to your budget, you have only one option, the Abarth Punto. All other cars are out of budget.

While going for any used car, it is very important to consider maintenance aspect. No matter you got C220 within 12L or less but maintenance will be as per a 50-60 L rupees car and not as per 12L rupees car.

Moreover a used will be always used, better to go for a new Abarth Punto and enjoy the throttle response. If you still want more go for a remap.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks