Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2016, 15:44   #766
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

Full payment is as soon as the RTO accepts the papers. Till then token advance.

If that doesn't work for the dealer tell him to get lost and move on, there are other cars.

Get a competent mechanic that you trust and pay him to inspect the car for you + suggest what you should pay for it and how much it will cost in repairs, new tyres / battery, servicing etc to make the car drivable

Do this before you pay the dealer even a paisa of token advance.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2016, 23:45   #767
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
If that doesn't work for the dealer tell him to get lost and move on, there are other cars.
Thanks. I walked out of the deal as I didn't feel comfortable buying a car that is out of warranty without speaking with the owner.

The car was in good condition but the dealer was too lazy to show me the documents (barring photocopies of RC and insurance) and kept giving one reason or the other (He never showed me finance NOC document even though he claimed that the loan was closed). I got too tired of the dealer trying to form his own rules of dealing. Between all this, I started growing skeptical of the transparency in the deal. It was just not worth the headache.

Now onwards, I'll just look at individual posted ads or just go and book a new car. Had enough dealing with the dealers

Last edited by theredliner : 3rd November 2016 at 23:46.
Old 4th November 2016, 06:30   #768
Senior - BHPian

Half the so called individual posted ads on quikr, olx and other car sales portals belong to such park and sell type dealers.

Needs a bit of patience to sort these out.
Old 4th November 2016, 07:27   #769
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
I walked out of the deal as I didn't feel comfortable buying a car that is out of warranty.
dealer was too lazy to show me the documents (barring photocopies of RC and insurance)

Now onwards, I'll just look at individual posted ads or just go and book a new car. Had enough dealing with the dealers
There is nothing wrong in buying a car that is out of warranty - just that the buyer has to take an informed decision based on an initial assessment of the car's condition.
All dealers aren't suspect.
I have dealt with professional dealers like TSM in Chennai (have no business interests there) who don't offer delivery till the buyer signs the transfer of ownership forms and submits photos , address proof.

Never strike a deal without seeing the original RC , original insurance, all keys , owner manual .Pulling a service history will give a true picture of the car's health.

Quote:
Half the so called individual posted ads on quikr, olx and other car sales portals belong to park and sell type dealers.

Needs a bit of patience to sort these out.
Agree with you @hserus.Only one in about 20 ads would come from a responsible individual seller ; and such responsible guys suffer because of loss of trust generated by suspicious ads.

Last edited by vigsom : 4th November 2016 at 07:28.
Old 2nd December 2016, 09:40   #770
BANNED

I am looking for used car. Main purpose is to use the car at my native place whenever i go there on weekends from Namma Bengaluru. I have shortlisted few cars including Honda CRV and Scorpio.My budget is 4 to 5L Max.Please suggest me whether to go with petrol or diesel cars?.
Old 2nd December 2016, 09:43   #771
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balechaparka View Post
I am looking for used car. Main purpose is to use the car at my native place whenever i go there on weekends from Namma Bengaluru. I have shortlisted few cars including Honda CRV and Scorpio.My budget is 4 to 5L Max.Please suggest me whether to go with petrol or diesel cars?.
Depends, are the roads near your native place good or bad? Do you really need a 7 seater in your native place? What brand's dealers have service locations nearby? All those extra questions to ask before you start finalizing cars.

Further at your fairly low budget you will get really old cars if you look for SUVs - try to buy a 4 year old and lightly used vehicle if you can.

For a low amount of use - occasional trips at your native place - just stick with petrol. The cost difference compared to Diesel isn't much these days and not worth the extra cost of a diesel car.
Old 2nd December 2016, 10:44   #772
BANNED

Quote:
Depends, are the roads near your native place good or bad? Do you really need a 7 seater in your native place? What brand's dealers have service locations nearby? All those extra questions to ask before you start finalizing cars.

Further at your fairly low budget you will get really old cars if you look for SUVs - try to buy a 4 year old and lightly used vehicle if you can.

For a low amount of use - occasional trips at your native place - just stick with petrol. The cost difference compared to Diesel isn't much these days and not worth the extra cost of a diesel car.
Thanks for quick reply.
1)My native is Udupi and no problem in servicing, we have all major OEM service centers in Udupi and Mangalore.
2)We don't really need "7 seater .
3)Village road(Mud) ,reasonably good, my present swift is running on these road without much problem.
4)Why SUV?-To handle monsoon season we need SUV +to transport our Areca (Betel) nut and other agri products to city which is 17KM away from my house
5)We are constructing new house at my native ,so need to visit every weekend to look after,need to go to city to purchase materials and other stuffs.
6)Another major reason is because of transportation issue,to catch a bus we have to walk 7KM or depend on auto which is very expensive,no metering system .(spending 1 to 1.5K every weekend just for transportation)
7)Recently constructed a road in between our paddy fields to reach our house,so during monsoon water logging problem and flood will come(Big river just adjacent to our house,natural resort).
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India-img_20160725_1711061.jpg  

Last edited by Jaggu : 24th April 2017 at 19:06. Reason: Spell correction, adjacent and not adjustment. Thanks.
Old 2nd December 2016, 14:24   #773
Senior - BHPian

Scorpio, Tata Safari or maybe a Thar might fit the bill for you. Try them all out and see which one you prefer.
Old 7th December 2016, 10:44   #774
BHPian

Dear All,

I am closing a deal on a 2011 Honda Civic today. Would be paying the token amount through cheque.

Any particular details that I should mention in the receipt of the token amount?

Also other than RTO tax receipt, original invoice, original RC and NOC from the insurance company should I look into any other documents?

Best,
Enigmatic
Old 7th December 2016, 11:31   #775
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
Quote:
Half the so called individual posted ads on quikr, olx and other car sales portals belong to such park and sell type dealers.
True, one logic I use while looking at ads by so-called individuals on the mentioned portals is to see if they are selling other things. And if someone is selling more than 2 cars, they ought to be a dealer. Many times, you find-out that someone is selling a car, a bike and some house-hold items like furniture, etc. This is most likely an individual esp. one who is moving abroad soon. These kinds of folks want to move faster on a deal and are a lot flexible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
Any particular details that I should mention in the receipt of the token amount?

Also other than RTO tax receipt, original invoice, original RC and NOC from the insurance company should I look into any other documents?

Best,
Enigmatic
I am guessing the car is not under hypothecation. You can find that out from the RC. If it is, you will need the NOC from the Bank or NBFC that the car is hypothecated to.

Last edited by kalyan_hyd : 7th December 2016 at 11:38. Reason: Added another reply.
kalyan_hyd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2016, 19:16   #776
Senior - BHPian

The used car market is tanking badly due to demonetization.

http://english.mathrubhumi.com/news/...ales-1.1563305

> 50% fall in sales figures
Most (~80%) txns used to be in cash with 12% NEFT and 8% cheque
People scared to pay cash now fearing tax enquiries if they pay over 2.5 lakhs in cash
15% of the employees in used car dealerships (mostly new hires) temporarily laid off
Old 9th December 2016, 19:10   #777
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
Dear All,

I am closing a deal on a 2011 Honda Civic today. Would be paying the token amount through cheque.
Congrats, how much the civic has run, petrol or diesel and how much you paid for it.

Love the civic design.
Old 15th December 2016, 17:07   #778
BHPian

Guys need some help here,

I narrowed down to a pre-worshipped 2011 T Jet with approx. 33k on board, single owner and looks genuine.
One issue that was brought to notice is the Chasis no (engraved) is all rusted and chipped off. RTO cannot take its marking as a part of transfer process. Upon further deliberating, the options coming are:

1) Physical inspection by RTO officer to verify the chasis no. rustification and put a stamp on transfer process.
2) To get a new chasis no. through RTO paper documentation , engraved again on chasis. Problem: chasis no. in invoice and purchase document is different. Though RC and all will have new chasis no.
3) To get an existing chasis no. again engraved, but not clear what is the actual process in such cases.

The above points are factored in for resale issue issue only , say 3 years down the line.

Should I go for it or walk away . In case go for it, then What should be the ask for it and option from the above. Please advise…
Old 16th December 2016, 06:34   #779
Senior - BHPian

Rust on the engine block within five years? Just on / near the engine number or elsewhere as well?

If only on the engine number - that is quite funny to see such a strategic appearance of rust

If elsewhere in the engine - evaluate whether it is worth buying

Also compare the chassis / engine number on the RC with the vin sticker which is on the left front triangular section of the window near the orvm - or also engraved on a plate stuck on the floor of the boot under the carpet / on the floor under the front left seat.

Careful as cars with otherwise no rust issues that have suspiciously localised rusting near the chassis number enough to cause the number to be unreadable might possibly be stolen etc, if you are buying through a small time dealer. And as I said if the car engine block has more rust than that, do be careful.
Old 16th December 2016, 09:24   #780
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarun View Post
I narrowed down to a pre-worshipped 2011 T Jet with approx. 33k on board, single owner and looks genuine.
One issue that was brought to notice is the Chasis no (engraved) is all rusted and chipped off. RTO cannot take its marking as a part of transfer process.
I would suggest not going ahead with this deal. Raises a lot of suspicions about the antecedents of the car, you'd be taking a risk with it is my conclusion based on what you've shared.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks