Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2017, 08:22   #796
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *NEW* car in India

Walk away from the car if accelerator / brakes / clutch / engine have any issues. Buy a mechanically sound car with routine repairs and bodywork max to be done even if you have to pay a bit extra for it.
Old 26th February 2017, 21:11   #797
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

Hi guys, what's the price a second hand car buyer should expect from a car wrt IDV. Should the asking price be lower/higher/same as that of IDV?
Old 26th February 2017, 22:01   #798
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arit.mondal View Post
Hi guys, what's the price a second hand car buyer should expect from a car wrt IDV. Should the asking price be lower/higher/same as that of IDV?
Normally, the car being in fair / good condition, the price will be higher than IDV.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2017, 22:14   #799
BHPian

Hello everyone I am in negotiations to buy a 2010 manufactured, 2011 registered Nissan X Trail slx manual 150000 km run. The seller is asking 500000 lacs, should I go ahead with the deal.
Old 10th March 2017, 23:40   #800
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash24979 View Post
Hello everyone I am in negotiations to buy a 2010 manufactured, 2011 registered Nissan X Trail slx manual 150000 km run. The seller is asking 500000 lacs, should I go ahead with the deal.
500000 lacs?? Slightly overpriced I guess.

Anyway, jokes apart, check the service and spares availability. Expect the cost of service and spares to be on the higher side since it used to be a complete built unit or CBU.
It is a model for which you need to take a call first paying attention to the above points.

Regards,
Saket.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2017, 18:01   #801
BHPian

Is there any clarity on what happens to registration / transfer of used vehicles that are BS3? Some news articles suggest it would be a waste of money to buy one and are not very clear on this front.

We had bought two used vehicles (2009-2010) in my extended family this month and their transfer pending. Any idea if RTO can create problems here during transfer?
Old 31st March 2017, 18:58   #802
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagzrk View Post
Is there any clarity on what happens to registration / transfer of used vehicles that are BS3? Some news articles suggest it would be a waste of money to buy one and are not very clear on this front.

We had bought two used vehicles (2009-2010) in my extended family this month and their transfer pending. Any idea if RTO can create problems here during transfer?
Has the RTO accepted the documents from you, or are you yet to submit them?

If you have already submitted them and they are in process, it should go through. If you have not - well, my reading is that the problem is in registering new BS3 vehicles, not re-registering older vehicles that have been sold to a second / third etc buyer.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2017, 10:13   #803
BHPian

Hello,

I wanted opinion of experts here regarding a query of mine. Here it goes:

My wife and my sister have recently started learning driving. Currently they have enrolled at a driving school and are driving the school's car. As usual, one really learns proper driving only after sufficient practice. The car which we have at home is an Automatic. I am contemplating whether my wife/sister should practice on our automatic car or should we buy a used/new manual car on which they can learn. What would the experts suggest here?

My thinking is that they should learn to drive a manual car properly and when they have mastered it, only then they should move on to Automatics (which should be relatively easier to drive compared to the manual). Do you guys think this is sensible? or should I just let them practice and learn further on the automatic car itself?

In case we decide to buy a manual car, I guess going the 'used car' way is the correct thing? If yes, can experts here suggest good car dealers in Mumbai? Now I am a layman here in terms of cars - I cannot look at a car and say if its repainted or not, I cannot drive a car and judge whether the clutch/brakes are fine or need replacement. In short, if I am going the used car way, I need to have a knowledgeable person with me or go via trusted dealers.

One option is Maruti True Value - I am told that they are good but might be a little expensive for getting peace of mind. Can experts here guide me to other good dealers which I can consider apart from True Value. I know the online way (i.e. OLX, Quickr) but then here too, I will need to evaluate the car thoroughly which will be tough for me as I do not have enough skills/expertise to judge the soundness of the car, nor do I know someone who can accompany me to the inspection. So just wanted suggestions from people for dealers/online portals which sell 'certified' cars in Mumbai?

Regarding choices, I was thinking of a max budget of 1.5-2 lakhs. Please let me know if this is too much for a car which is just meant for learning purposes.

Last edited by Saanil : 8th April 2017 at 10:15.
Old 14th April 2017, 15:44   #804
Senior - BHPian

Hi! All,

Is there a separate thread or somewhere in this thread where I can find info on how to evaluate and buy a pre-owned BMW 5 series ?

What to look for ? How to evaluate the complex electronic controls, transmission, specially suspension and tyre issues ?

How much should I offer for a 2011 KA regn 520d with 50k on the odo ? Owner claims some engine repairs due to water which was repaired under warranty and suspension noise when going over speed breakers

What will it cost to overhaul the suspension ?

How much is the annual maintenance for a 520d ?

thanks
Srinivas

Last edited by Aditya : 16th April 2017 at 17:01. Reason: Typo
Old 15th April 2017, 04:17   #805
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
My thinking is that they should learn to drive a manual car properly and when they have mastered it, only then they should move on to Automatics (which should be relatively easier to drive compared to the manual). Do you guys think this is sensible? or should I just let them practice and learn further on the automatic car itself?
At your budget of 1-2 lakhs you will not get an automatic. You will get an older manual is all.

About the car choices you made they are all ok for learners and should be within the price range. Get a competent mechanic to evaluate each of those cars and help you choose based on how much it will cost to get essential fixes in place (not dents / scratches etc - accelerator, brake, clutch, engine, tyres, battery, that sort of thing)
Old 15th April 2017, 09:10   #806
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Hi! All,

Is there a separate thread or some where in this thread where I can find info on how to evaluate and buy a pre-owned BMW 5 series ?

What to look for ? How to evaluate the complex electronic controls, transmission, specially suspension and tyre issues ?

How much should I offer for a 2011 KA regn 520d with 50k on the odo ? Owner claims some engine repairs due to water which was repaired under warranty and suspension noise when going over speed breakers

What will it cost to overhaul the suspension ?

How much is the annual maintenance for a 520d ?

thanks
Srinivas
I am in the same boat as you as I am looking to buy a used 3 series or X1. I have just started my research by I think a good point to start is to identify the internal model names and the engine code of the possible candidates.

For instance in my case the BMW internal model names would be the E84 (X1) and the E90(3 series). The engine code would be B47(320d). Using this information search for issues with the model or the engine. A lot of international forums track the issues by the internal model names and engine codes.

And international issues usually do manifest themselves in India.

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2017, 13:37   #807
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Hi! All,

Is there a separate thread or some where in this thread where I can find info on how to evaluate and buy a pre-owned BMW 5 series ?
GTO himself has done this. Here is the thread..( http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ped-beast.html)

Please use search for more.
Old 18th April 2017, 09:59   #808
BHPian

I'm buying a used old car. Car is in good condition has a few mechanical servicing issues. The query is after paying for the car and on taking delivery have found out that the car doesn't have insurance, it's expired. Will the insurance company issue new insurance on my name or it has to issued on old owners name and then after RTO transfers car then only it will be changed to my name ? Needed some quick clarity.
Old 18th April 2017, 14:55   #809
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
I'm buying a used old car. Car is in good condition has a few mechanical servicing issues. The query is after paying for the car and on taking delivery have found out that the car doesn't have insurance, it's expired. Will the insurance company issue new insurance on my name or it has to issued on old owners name and then after RTO transfers car then only it will be changed to my name ? Needed some quick clarity.
The RTO won't transfer without insurance. The owner has to renew the car's insurance before he can complete transfer paperwork.
Old 21st April 2017, 22:34   #810
BHPian

I am going to see a used car tomorrow at a dealer in Hyderabad which is listed as a single owner. It is registered in Andhra Pradesh in 2011 before the state was divided.

However when I check the Telegana Road Transport website its shows a different owner than from the Andhra Pradesh Road Transport website.

All other details remain the same.

On the Vahan website the name of the owner is same as the Andhra Pradesh website.

Is this a two owner car? How can I verify it?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks