Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2017, 06:59   #871
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Does it make any sense to consider this nearly decade old Fiesta S? If yes, what's a suitable price to quote?
Parts will be a pain to get but other than that it’s a fun car. Check with your local ford dealer on availability.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2017, 07:23   #872
BHPian

Quote:
Does it make any sense to consider this nearly decade old Fiesta S? If yes, what's a suitable price to quote?
Parts availablity is not an issue. It's tough to find 1.6S, more so in that shade. Price quoted us too high IMO.
akshay380 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2017, 13:31   #873
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Parts will be a pain to get but other than that it’s a fun car. Check with your local ford dealer on availability.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
Parts availablity is not an issue. It's tough to find 1.6S, more so in that shade. Price quoted us too high IMO.
Thanks. I know that car will command a premium for exclusivity, but the quote seems at least a lac too high.

How much was a new one? ~ 10 lacs?
Old 13th December 2017, 14:17   #874
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. I know that car will command a premium for exclusivity, but the quote seems at least a lac too high.

How much was a new one? ~ 10 lacs?
No idea about Bangalore OTR prices then but it was under 10L in Goa. For reference, I bought my stock 1.6 top end 2009 model for 2L. With full history. A tbhpian bought 2009 1.6S for 3.5L in Bangalore. I think anything around 3.2-3.5 is a decent price if car is well maintained.
akshay380 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2017, 15:29   #875
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
That car's sold. Never mind.
Old 4th January 2018, 17:29   #876
BHPian

Hi Folks,
need your help and advice please

I've shortlisted a used car through a reference here in Mumbai. Here are the details :

Car : Ssangyong Rexton R7
Date of Mfg : 2013 ( regd done in 2014)
Kms on Odo : 26000
Ownership : First (Company registered)
Insurance : Comprehensive, Valid till Dec 2017
Features : Automatic, AWD, Leather Seats, Electric Folding RVM's, Power Windows, 4 Airbags, original company fitted retractable sun roof
Condition : comprehensive service done at company workshop in Dec 2017
Colour : Opulent Purple

The User is selling it as he has being given a new car (through the company policy). I am still to inspect and test drive the vehicle which i plan to do either this weekend or early next week.

I would like to know:
1. Is it worth purchasing the Rexton in the used car market? Any red flags that i should particularly look for in this model/car?
2. Is Rexton a high maintenance vehicle? What about the spare part availability (in Mumbai and elsewhere)?
3. Any indicative price range based on the above details?

thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 12:27   #877
BHPian

Beware of Abulkalam Used Cars (AK Cars) in Pune - Odometer Tampering

Dear Members,

I just thought to share my personal experience and warn all of you not to venture anywhere close to this used-car dealership called AbulKalam Cars (also called AK Cars) in Viman Nagar, Pune (on the new airport road).

I recently purchased a used Hyundai Verna 1.6 SX VTVT from this bloke and the odo showed a reading of 47,714 km when I purchased it.

Firstly, the guy did not accept the full payment via NEFT/RTGS and insisted on part cash stating GST as the culprit and as far as my limited knowledge goes, GST does not apply for used good... may be wrong here though.

Secondly, I made the big mistake of trusting the salesrep and the owner and did not go to Hyundai service to get a full service-record because

Now, I go to get the car serviced and turns out it has run more than 1 lakh kms and I am stuck with an old smelly lemon now.

Go back to this guy's office just a week after purchase and now it is not his problem anymore and I know many will say (and I agree too) that it was my duty to check the service history from Hyundai.

However, I maybe an old-fashioned, old man who believes in a gentleman's word which apparently does not hold any water anymore in this new world.

All-in-all, I am stuck with a Verna with more than 100k on the clock and looking for a way to get out of this mess.

Just to warn others, this dealer is not trustworthy and I would advise all members to avoid this guy at all costs.

Last edited by Rehaan : 12th January 2018 at 14:40. Reason: Post edited. Please use punctuation marks.
anand.shankar82 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 12:51   #878
Team-BHP Support

re: Beware of Abulkalam Used Cars (AK Cars) in Pune - Odometer Tampering

Let's not get into the whole "you should've known better" debate because it'll be unproductive.

I don't have first-hand knowledge/experience of such situations but how about this: do you have any document when you bought the car from him that mentions the odometer reading? And the final price agreed upon, regardless of how much was electronic transfer/cash.

If you do, that with Hyundai's record give you some standing that you were cheated. Perhaps a visit to the police station and/or a legal notice to this chap might get you something: one possible outcome, he takes the car back and gives you your money.

More so, do you have the gumption to take on this guy: thick-skinned, unethical and potentially, a goon?

The other, easy solution is to sell it off in a transparent manner.
libranof1987 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 12:58   #879
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand.shankar82 View Post
Dear Members

... purchased a used Hyundai Verna 1.6 SX VTVT from this bloke and the odo showed a reading of 47714 when I purchased it
Now, I go to get the car serviced and turns out it has run more than 1 lakh kms and I am stuck with an old smelly lemon now
Thanks for spreading the awareness of this seller.

How do you conclude it is a "lemon" ? Apart from mileage, any other issue has been found ? If all is OK, then just enjoy this car.
Ravindra M is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 13:01   #880
Senior - BHPian

Is turning the odometer around and selling it to a customer not a crime? I mean a police complaint can be filed for the same with Hyundai records to show the kilometers and your car's current odometer to show what the dealer has done.

Go to the police guys and see what they say, a quick danda to the dealer from the police might make them give your money back along with you giving the car back to them, worth a shot!
humyum is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 13:03   #881
BHPian

If the transfer process is not done, I suggest you try to strike a deal with the cheater.

Give him the margin of a few thousand bucks & give it back to him. He will sell it off to someone else. (That someone else will be cheated through some other car if not through this one)
Old 12th January 2018, 13:24   #882
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Members

I just thought to share my personal experience and warn all of you not to venture anywhere close to this used-car dealership called AbulKalam Cars (also called AK Cars) in Viman Nagar, Pune (on the new airport road)
Thank you for sharing this, very sorry to hear of your story. Having lived in the area for a while, I believe the local MLA Jagdish Mulik is very active and well-respected. Perhaps you may wish to share the case with him for his guidance (post filing the FIR). Don't know him personally unfortunately, but his office is just opposite the Chitale Bandhu store in Kalyaninagar/Wadgaon sheri. Hope this helps.

On a side note, where exactly is this dealership on the new airport road? Is it near the Enfield service centre?
VivOverland is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 14:16   #883
BHPian

Do the company dealership/service center show service record to a potential buyer before the car is purchased?
When my wife had purchased a used Chevy Spark few years ago, the Chevy service center refused to show the service record until the car had been purchased. I requested them to at least tell me if the car had any major accidents. They refused to give any info. We bought the car, took it to the same service center and came to know that it had a head on collision. Fortunately for us, the used car dealer took back the car and refunded minus his fee. This was in Chennai though. What can one do in such cases?
jayguar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 14:43   #884
Senior - BHPian

Re: Beware of Abulkalam Used Cars (AK Cars) in Pune - Odometer Tampering

Get the car appraised by a mechanic you trust and pay him an agreed fee to tell you about the car + what it will cost you in repairs etc once you've bought it.

If the odo has been tampered and the car has run longer than what the reading says, or if there are signs of extensive tinkering and repainting he will surely point them out.

In chennai I normally use this outfit in Adyar - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/chenna...r-chennai.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayguar View Post
Do the company dealership/service center show service record to a potential buyer before the car is purchased?
When my wife had purchased a used Chevy Spark few years ago, the Chevy service center refused to show the service record until the car had been purchased. I requested them to at least tell me if the car had any major accidents. They refused to give any info. We bought the car, took it to the same service center and came to know that it had a head on collision. Fortunately for us, the used car dealer took back the car and refunded minus his fee. This was in Chennai though. What can one do in such cases?
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 16:00   #885
BHPian

Re: Beware of Abulkalam Used Cars (AK Cars) in Pune - Odometer Tampering

Quote:
All-in-all, I am stuck with a Verna with more than 100k on the clock and looking for a way to get out of this mess.
If you are willing to spend your time, money and effort to fight this out with the dealer, go straight to the local police station and seek help. The gentlemen there will hand hold you till the end of this mess - irrespective of favorable outcome. I wonder if the dealer might ever refund the money back to you as they have dealt with great number of customers and their conflicts. So they know how to handle this better. Worst case - he might offer to buy back the car at a much lower price. Mind you he might pay you upfront or only after the sale.

If you can bear the financial and mental loss, simply sell the car and lookout for another one. If the car is transferred to your name you may incur heavy loss or the car may not sell easily at all as the buyer might get suspicious and wonder the reason for quick sale and you might have to make up some story.

Finally, if the car is in good to great condition without much trouble, get it detailed and make minor cosmetic modifications such as alloys, carbon fibre films, etc., Then flush the engine with fluids and use branded fluids. Recharge A/C gas. Change filters and go for underbody coating. Wash and dry the interior carpets too if possible. This way you will bond with the car and you know you have turned the car upside down for the best of it. Revert the odo back to the original reading of 100k+ and continue using the car because there has to be a reason why you bought the 1.6 Verna.

All the best!!!

Last edited by petrolhead_chn : 12th January 2018 at 16:02.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks