Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2018, 14:31   #961
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfawkes View Post
I am being offered an A4 2018 for 26 Lakh, minimum mileage. Any thoughts on what checks should I take? Its under warranty, insurance valid till Mar 2019
This is probably a demo car? A patched up accident vehicle?

Or what other reason does the person have to sell it?

Check its detailed service history and get the local Audi dealer to thoroughly appraise the vehicle.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2018, 15:02   #962

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
This is probably a demo car? A patched up accident vehicle?

Or what other reason does the person have to sell it?

Check its detailed service history and get the local Audi dealer to thoroughly appraise the vehicle.
Yeah, I will be viewing the car this week but thanks for the pointers. Haven't gotten those valuable inputs yet as to the motive of sale. What I have is full 360 view pics of the car, interior/exterior and model info that its a 35 TDI Premium Plus 6K driven model first owner
Old 28th August 2018, 21:58   #963
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys

Well my friend is planning to buy a used car. The catch is that the person wants to freeze the deal but he needs to keep the vehicle till later next month.
The question is how to proceed in such a situation. The car for now looks to be in good condition. But 20 days is too much of a time, who knows what will happen. In such cases how do we proceed?

Do we pay a token amount as advance and balance to be paid when the car changes hands? More over the car is hypothecate to bank. Owner will settle the loan as soon as the deal is finalised. But I guess there will be some lead time required before the NOC from the bank comes. And I guess it is only after this NOC that we can get the car registered in my friend's name?
What is the document that signifies the actual transfer of the car from old owner to new owner?

The seller and buyer are located in Pune.

Last edited by vibbs : 28th August 2018 at 22:02.
Old 28th August 2018, 22:02   #964
Senior - BHPian

When does your friend need the car? 20 days is such a time that he can possibly find a better car during that period. And no telling what will happen in those 3 weeks.
Old 1st September 2018, 12:55   #965
BHPian

In the market for a used car I chanced upon a VW Jetta. Test drove and liked the feel of the car but the owner had second thoughts about parting with it. Been hunting for a month now and I've come across 2 VW Passat's for sale. One is a 2010 ( Pre facelift) 1.8 petrol and the other a 2011 ( Post facelift) 2.0 Diesel.

Both are comfortline variants. While the Diesel has clocked 1.3 lakh kms the petrol one has 65K on the odo.Work needed for both cars is as follows :
Diesel :

F & R brake pads - 4,300 & 4500

F & R Brake Disc - 11,400 & 8200
Routine Service @ 1.5 Lakh kms : 18,000
Front Glass - 20,000
Transfer of Ownership - 30,000

Total with labour and other misc expenses will be an approx 1-1.25 Lakhs to bring it to a good condition.
Petrol :

F & R supsension : 27K
F & R Brakes : 30K
nothing else to work with on the car.

Fantastically maintained interiors and exterior even though it is a black car.

I currently drive a 2008 Civic, so my heart says go for the Petrol. But I am basically looking for a highway cruiser with good interior space and boot space. The Ecosport which i currently use for highway drives is good, but not half as fun to drive as the Civic. Gentlemen you suggestions and opinions would be most welcome.
Old 1st September 2018, 15:07   #966
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Hi guys

Well my friend is planning to buy a used car. The catch is that the person wants to freeze the deal but he needs to keep the vehicle till later next month.
The question is how to proceed in such a situation. The car for now looks to be in good condition. But 20 days is too much of a time, who knows what will happen. In such cases how do we proceed?

Do we pay a token amount as advance and balance to be paid when the car changes hands? More over the car is hypothecate to bank. Owner will settle the loan as soon as the deal is finalised. But I guess there will be some lead time required before the NOC from the bank comes. And I guess it is only after this NOC that we can get the car registered in my friend's name?
What is the document that signifies the actual transfer of the car from old owner to new owner?

The seller and buyer are located in Pune.

Whole thing smells bad. Owner of the car is just toying, and he wants someone to dump his vehicle if he wishes to at the end of three weeks. If in three weeks, he gets a better offer, your friend will be given excuses such as family emergency, job lost or whatnot, and will be returned the token.

Avoid such deals. If the seller is not ready to sell the car immediately, forget it. What happens if the car is met with an accident in these 3 weeks? Don't be a back up plan of such people.
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2018, 15:23   #967
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
I've come across 2 VW Passat's for sale. One is a 2010 ( Pre facelift) 1.8 petrol and the other a 2011 ( Post facelift) 2.0 Diesel.

While the Diesel has clocked 1.3 lakh kms the petrol one has 65K on the odo.
There would be a huge difference in the quotes, I assume.

Go with the petrol.It is the less risky of the two.
Old 1st September 2018, 18:59   #968
BHPian

Actually not much. Rather going by model year and Facelift changes the petrol is commanding a higher price. The petrol has been serviced throughout at the VW outlet while the diesel has been trouble free even though it has not been to the ASS for the past 70K kms of running. The timing belt and pulley have been replaced at VW a fortnight ago.
Old 1st September 2018, 20:28   #969
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
When does your friend need the car? 20 days is such a time that he can possibly find a better car during that period. And no telling what will happen in those 3 weeks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Whole thing smells bad. Owner of the car is just toying, and he wants someone to dump his vehicle if he wishes to at the end of three weeks. If in three weeks, he gets a better offer, your friend will be given excuses such as family emergency, job lost or whatnot, and will be returned the token.

Avoid such deals. If the seller is not ready to sell the car immediately, forget it. What happens if the car is met with an accident in these 3 weeks? Don't be a back up plan of such people.
Thanks guys.

Guess they arrived at an agreement that the money will be paid after the transfer of ownership is applied at RTO.

I believe there is a chance that at the end of 3 weeks the deal could be called off just because the seller got a better price. My friend however is willing to take that risk.

Perhaps he liked the car too much to let it go.
Old 3rd September 2018, 07:35   #970
Senior - BHPian

A friend was scouting for cars and found this. Literally a pre worshipped car.
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India-2d5de904e718495590c6dab39ec54396.jpeg  

hserus is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th September 2018, 00:24   #971
BHPian

Friends, I am looking for a used AT Petrol sedan in the price range of 5L in Bangalore. I was looking on Honda Citys, but yet to find a well maintained one in my price range. Is 2012-2014 Skoda Rapid AT worth looking? I am skeptical about the reliability factors. Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.
Old 11th September 2018, 09:35   #972
BHPian

ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

While scouting I came across this in mumbai
Diesel Rapid Top Model (Sept 2017), 4,000 kms.
Looks as good as new few touch ups, had that jerk between gear shift of second and third
11.5 negotiable. Super confused as to what to do?
Should I go for that, or a brand new rapid petrol automatic
Sale reason unknown.
P.S. Can't find too many reviews on the rapid.

Last edited by GranvilleDsouza : 11th September 2018 at 09:36.
Old 11th September 2018, 16:17   #973
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranvilleDsouza View Post
Super confused as to what to do?
If confused, please avoid. Your 2 points about car are good enough to give it a miss.

Quote:
had that jerk between gear shift of second and third
Sale reason unknown.
Old 11th September 2018, 18:07   #974
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranvilleDsouza View Post
had that jerk between gear shift of second and third .
Is this every time you accelerate? Or did you notice this when while accelerating, you hit the brake suddenly?

The car is still under warranty and is eligible in current month (Sep 2018) for extended warranty for an additional 2 years.
If issue has been reported and not yet fixed under warranty, then it better to look away.
Old 11th September 2018, 18:58   #975
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
If confused, please avoid. Your 2 points about car are good enough to give it a miss.
My guess is a hurriedly patched up at some FNG accident vehicle. Avoid it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks