Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2018, 22:50   #976
BHPian

ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlander View Post
Is this every time you accelerate? Or did you notice this when while accelerating, you hit the brake suddenly?

The car is still under warranty and is eligible in current month (Sep 2018) for extended warranty for an additional 2 years.

If issue has been reported and not yet fixed under warranty, then it better to look away.

Every time, took a short drive on both D and S modes. Did not hit the break, just tapped the accelerator. Not too heavy a foot either. I'd expect the DSG to be butter smooth. Although have read multiple places about the jerk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
My guess is a hurriedly patched up at some FNG accident vehicle. Avoid it.

Doesn't seem major, bumper scratches. Checked for other areas for paint marks like mud flaps and other areas near wheels and below.

Last edited by GranvilleDsouza : 11th September 2018 at 22:51.
Old 23rd September 2018, 12:54   #977
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

Did anyone here bought a pre-worshiped Pajero (2012 onwards)?

I am looking to buy one and will need your guidance to resolve some of my queries around filtering the one out of the lot and issues you may have faced with such vehicle.

Please do let me know
Old 23rd September 2018, 14:55   #978
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by baahubali View Post
Did anyone here bought a pre-worshiped Pajero (2012 onwards)?

I am looking to buy one and will need your guidance to resolve some of my queries around filtering the one out of the lot and issues you may have faced with such vehicle.

Please do let me know
Are you looking for the Pajero or the Pajero Sport. 2012 onwards only the Pajero Sport was available.

Production for Pajero 2.8 was stopped at end of 2011. You can ask me any questions about the Pajero 2.8 as I own a 2011 model and have done over a Lac kilometers. I guess I have some experience to share.
Traveler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2018, 15:46   #979
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Are you looking for the Pajero or the Pajero Sport. 2012 onwards only the Pajero Sport was available.

Production for Pajero 2.8 was stopped at end of 2011. You can ask me any questions about the Pajero 2.8 as I own a 2011 model and have done over a Lac kilometers. I guess I have some experience to share.
I am looking for 2.5L Pajero Sport
Old 24th September 2018, 18:49   #980
BHPian

Came across a 2015 Jetta, Highline AT, done 25k kms in Coimbatore. Car looks to be in great condition. Tbhp used car guide says 13.5 lakhs but seller is expecting north of 18 lakhs. Do used Jettas really hold so much value? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Maverick_x1 : 24th September 2018 at 18:50. Reason: Punctuation
Old 25th September 2018, 13:06   #981
Senior - BHPian

I have a pre-owned Fortuner and I'm the second owner. Now I have the option of taking a VIP number from Haryana through someone known. Its as cool as HRx 786 so obviously its a little tempting.

However, it will be a new RC so I'm not sure what will be the consequences when I plan on selling the car in NCR again, thoughts?

Currently I have a DL number and I know it'll be easy for both parties when I plan on selling it in Delhi. If I get that VIP number then I would definitely want to retain it even when I sell the vehicle so does that create more hassle for me?

Last edited by fine69 : 25th September 2018 at 13:09.
Old 25th September 2018, 13:08   #982
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I have a pre-owned Fortuner and I'm the second owner. Now I have the option of taking a VIP number from Haryana through someone known. Its as VIP number like HRx 786 so obviously its a little tempting.

However, it will be a new RC so I'm not sure what will be the consequences when I plan on selling the car in NCR again, thoughts?
If you get a HR registration for a DL car you have to pay pro rata life tax to the concerned Haryana RTO. And then when you sell that Haryanvi car in Delhi the buyer needs to pay some more life tax to the Delhi RTO.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2018, 13:13   #983
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
If you get a HR registration for a DL car you have to pay pro rata life tax to the concerned Haryana RTO. And then when you sell that Haryanvi car in Delhi the buyer needs to pay some more life tax to the Delhi RTO.
I know the money part involved. While acquiring the number I'll have someone else do all the running around for me so getting the number isn't a problem at all.

Particularly I'm keen to know what all will happen if I plan on selling this car after 4-5 years but want to retain the VIP number. What extra paperwork/money does it call for?

Another thing that comes to mind, will the new RC list me as 1st owner of this vehicle?

EDIT: Do buyers in general stay away from such deals where the owner wants to retain the number.
Old 25th September 2018, 13:13   #984
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick_x1 View Post
Came across a 2015 Jetta, Highline AT, done 25k kms in Coimbatore. Car looks to be in great condition. Tbhp used car guide says 13.5 lakhs but seller is expecting north of 18 lakhs. Do used Jettas really hold so much value? Thanks in advance.
Absolutely not.

I would say a fair price for that car would not be more than 15-16 lakhs under any circumstances.

Try looking for more such examples. The Jetta is a discontinued offering now, and there are several cars trading hands at good prices although the demand has gone up.

If you can find a post September 2013 Highline DSG with less than 40-50K km on the odo for under 15 lacs, nothing like it.
vishy76 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2018, 15:11   #985
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick_x1 View Post
Maximum price you should pay for a 3 year old Jetta Highline in good condition with actually verified mileage under 60k should be around 12 lakhs. In fact even 11 or 10 lakhs is not out of the question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
Absolutely not.

I would say a fair price for that car would not be more than 15-16 lakhs under any circumstances.

Try looking for more such examples. The Jetta is a discontinued offering now, and there are several cars trading hands at good prices although the demand has gone up.

If you can find a post September 2013 Highline DSG with less than 40-50K km on the odo for under 15 lacs, nothing like it.
I agree with you but I would suggest a lesser price. There is no way anyone would pay more than 50% of the price when new as the Jetta has a very poor resale value. I have sold two of them in the past couple of years. Most of these supposedly low mileage cars have their odometers rolled back.
Lobogris is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2018, 16:45   #986
BHPian

Would anyone know a trustable mechanic for inspecting a used car I am planning to purchase, in Mumbai.
Old 8th October 2018, 23:15   #987
BHPian

Anyone here is familiar with Jain Motors.? A used car dealership from Kandivali West, Mumbai. I almost confirmed a 1.6 S. Would be great if anyone could do a TD of the car on behalf of me
Old 28th October 2018, 23:25   #988
BHPian

I am looking for used cars and I found a Toyota Corolla with Lanson. Its a certified car. Its for 15.5 Lakhs.

Since its with a dealer, I would like it to be verified by a mechanic. Any suggestions in chennai for a trusted mechanic, who could help in checking the car

Also, bluebook shows a value 14 lakh. But dealer quotes 15.5. In general, prices for used cars dont seem to agree with the bluebook value. Is this OK?

Third, insurance on the vehicle has expired recently. How should I go about the transfer?
Old 29th October 2018, 14:16   #989
Senior - BHPian

14 or so is about all you can expect to pay for that regardless of what the dealer says. I saw that listing too. Toyota U Trust always tends to list them pretty high priced compared to the final value.

If you're near Adyar check out Speed Motors in the Chennai directory on tbhp. Pay them and they can appraise it for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by druva View Post
I am looking for used cars and I found a Toyota Corolla with Lanson. Its a certified car. Its for 15.5 Lakhs.

Since its with a dealer, I would like it to be verified by a mechanic. Any suggestions in chennai for a trusted mechanic, who could help in checking the car

Also, bluebook shows a value 14 lakh. But dealer quotes 15.5. In general, prices for used cars dont seem to agree with the bluebook value. Is this OK?

Third, insurance on the vehicle has expired recently. How should I go about the transfer?
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2018, 20:50   #990
Senior - BHPian

Here's a weird problem.

The seller has changed the way he signs during the ownership of the car. So now the seller's signature on the RC book doesn't match with his current signature, and he doesn't remember how to sign the old way.

What can the buyer do now? The RC has a different signature and the transfer forms have a different signature.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks