Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2020, 17:40   #1081

Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
Here are some TD-car-specific attributes specific that I could think of:
I came across a Tata Nexon matching all these attributes.
2018 registered, Top end, ~15k on the odo. same colour that was being used for TD pre-facelift.
Given the facelift Nexon got recently launched, this could be the old TD car.
But, it is registered in an individual's name and the seller(used car dealer) says it is not a test drive car.
Is it possible that it is indeed a TD car, but registered in an individual's name(for eg. the dealership manager, etc)?
Is there any way to detect a TD car if that's the case?
Old 12th July 2020, 18:30   #1082
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
Is it possible that it is indeed a TD car, but registered in an individual's name(for eg. the dealership manager, etc)?
Slim chances. TD cars are registered in the dealer's name. There was a time when dealers used to run test drive vehicles on TC plates (to sell them later as unregistered cars) but not anymore. If the Nexon's RC shows the individual as the first owner, there's no reason to worry.

Last edited by self_driven : 12th July 2020 at 18:31.
self_driven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2020, 23:55   #1083
BHPian

Any suggestions for a pre-owned trusted cars in Delhi/NCR? I am looking for a daily car for 2-2.5 lakhs, most classifieds on olx etc. are either overpriced, or otherwise unorganised dealer listings.

This thread is a great read but my experience with pre-owned cars has been not so great because most are odo-tampered or have hidden accidental history or other petty frauds.

I did have great experiences with cars referred to by my contacts/relatives before they were put on market, but these are extremely hard to come by. Any leads would be appreciated. I am ok with paying a little extra for 'certified' cars (Truevalue, etc.).
Old 17th July 2020, 14:51   #1084
BHPian

Hi, I purchased BS4 Nissan Kicks Diesel from the Nissan dealership in Kota. Since the deadline for BS4 Registration was 31st March 2020, the dealership got it registered in the dealership’s name.
Now should I get an invoice from the dealership or not? The dealer is refuting that since it’s a second owner vehicle I won’t get the invoice. Now I know for a fact that since I purchased a vehicle registered in the dealership’s name I would get the invoice.
Old 11th August 2020, 22:31   #1085

Heya Friends,

Could you please let me know the reliable sites/seconds show room which we can consider?

Thanks,
Shirish

Last edited by shirishindurkar : 11th August 2020 at 22:59.
Old 29th August 2020, 19:22   #1086
BHPian

Have been for a while on the learning curve of buying a used car in India, to avoid pitfalls in the process. Thanks to the cumulative knowledge bank of BHPians here, I have transformed into a "fairly informed" from an "utter novice". However, it's the actual process of the last stage of the deal that still baffles me.

I understand that a seller does not part with his vehicle till the entire payment is in his possession. Fair enough. But what protects me, the buyer, who makes the payment in full, without anything tangible in his hand? What guarantees that after receiving the payment, the seller/dealer will not refuse to honour his part of the deal? Perhaps it sounds stupid, but then I am still learning, ain't I?

I am seeing a dealer tomorrow and if everything goes well, I intend to seal the deal. I would really appreciate fellow BHPians' guidance, as there would be many of us who have gone through the process.
Old 30th August 2020, 00:35   #1087
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subroto View Post
I am seeing a dealer tomorrow and if everything goes well, I intend to seal the deal. I would really appreciate fellow BHPians' guidance, as there would be many of us who have gone through the process.
I just bought a used car from a dealer couple of weeks back. I found the car and the dealer through OLX. He was known to be a reliable dealer after a couple of references checked out. I paid the entire amount by cheque and the car was delivered after 3 days of the payment. The reason being servicing and interior/exterior cleaning done by the dealer. The other option was pay a token amount to book the car and transfer the rest online when taking delivery.
adi.mariner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2020, 09:19   #1088
BHPian

Quote:
I paid the entire amount by cheque and the car was delivered after 3 days of the payment. The reason being servicing and interior/exterior cleaning done by the dealer.
Thanks a lot adi.mariner; that means you part with the money first without any tangible asset/document to hold on to and get the car later. Your advice on the online transfer sounds the best option to me.

Another newbie question! Does a broker pay any brokerage to the dealers or it is the seller that the dealer gets his commission from? If the buyer pays, how much do I expect to pay? It may differ a little from Pune to NCR, but should not be much.
Old 30th August 2020, 10:23   #1089
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
that means you part with the money first without any tangible asset/document to hold on to and get the car later.
If the dealer/seller agrees to handover the car before ownership transfer (generally this is the case with dealers as they apply for ownership transfer themselves), pay the full amount on delivery day and take the car. Transfer process will be initiated after handover in this case. Seller is at a disadvantage here till the papers are transferred.

Otherwise sellers will insist on the car's ownership to be transferred before handing over to the buyer (which is also the correct way of dealing). In this case pay the full amount, collect signed transfer forms and documents from the seller and apply for ownership transfer at the RTO. Take delivery on the day the ownership transfer is complete.

I wouldn't advise paying full amount upfront without any asset/document in return. Pay a small token 10-20k to block the car and pay the rest when the transfer process is initiated or on the day of car delivery.

Quote:
Does a broker pay any brokerage to the dealers or it is the seller that the dealer gets his commission from?
If it is a park-and-sell, dealer takes commission from both parties. Else buyer pays the commission. It is a pre-decided amount or fixed % of the final deal. If there's a dealer involved, he will adjust his cuts and commissions in the deal price. A few years ago, it was around 5% of the total deal or fixed 15-20k (whichever was lower). I am not sure about the current rate.

Last edited by self_driven : 30th August 2020 at 10:28. Reason: Added points
Old 30th August 2020, 10:24   #1090
BHPian

Quote:
Does a broker pay any brokerage
My bad! Please read buyer!
Old 2nd September 2020, 10:30   #1091
BHPian

Thanks a lot self_driven for such a detailed and question-specific response.

Life does not seem easy in the 'used car market world', particularly for a newbie like me! I met the dealer, inspected the car, rode the vehicle and got opinions of two technicians of the company ASS. One of them drove the car before giving his verdict and the other one physically inspected the car by removing the door seals of the front and explained that any major accident that damages the structure would be very difficult to hide and the door frames would show signs however good the repairs were. Learnt something! Both of them advised against 'wasting money' in getting the car checked at the ASS as it was in perfect condition according to them. Oh, the ASS was not known to the dealer and I did everything myself including fixing appointment for the check-up.

The car - a 2018 model - has been serviced at the company ASS, the odometer has not been tampered with as it matches the service history and the best part is, it is still under factory warranty! That's the good part.

The bad part is, the car is out of insurance (by a month) and the dealer does not have the NOC and form 35 from the finance company it is hypothecated to. He claims that the loan foreclosure is done, but it might take 3-4 weeks for the NOC to come due to the pandemic situation. He insists that I hold 25-50K and take the car, the held amount to be released on receipt of the NOC. When I refused, he insisted that I book by paying a token amount of 20-25K. I said I would get back to him.

Now I have decided not to take the car by paying the full amount (less the amount to be held for the NOC). I have also declined to "book" the car by paying the token amount as I do not hope to see the owner at any stage of the deal and hence not clear as to the safety of my money. Now, did I do the right thing? The car is simply too good to give a miss but I resisted the temptation so far. Guide me fellow BHPians!

The second question is, can one take insurance of a car owned by someone else without the owner's identity proof? I need that to be done before I could apply for RC transfer in my name at the RTO. As I said, I don't hope to see the owner throughout the process. Help needed, again!
Subroto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 16:03   #1092
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...Help needed, again!
Don't compromise on paperwork and there seem to be too many 'gaps'. The seller can take a cheap 3rd party insurance just to keep the paperwork in place. Finance company gives the necessary NOC paperwork as soon as loan is closed, so I am not sure why that should not be in place.

Even if the car is fully legit, why would you want to deal with missing paperwork? The seller is responsible to furnish all the paperwork.

Don't worry, there is absolutely no shortage of good cars to buy. When it comes to buying or selling a used car, one should be really patient and not rush anything.
androdev is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 16:25   #1093
BHPian

Quote:
Finance company gives the necessary NOC paperwork as soon as loan is closed, so I am not sure why that should not be in place.
You have echoed my thought! Meanwhile I have verified that the foreclosure has indeed been done. So it's baffling why it takes so long to get the NOC! Does not sound right.

Quote:
The seller can take a cheap 3rd party insurance just to keep the paperwork in place.
Can I, as a potential buyer, do it on his behalf without having the benefit of his ID? Or should I ask the dealer to arrange for a 3rd party insurance to facilitate the RC transfer process?

Quote:
When it comes to buying or selling a used car, one should be really patient and not rush anything.
My thought, again! I have made up my mind to let this one pass if the dealer fails to produce all the required documents.

Thanks once again.
Subroto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 21:39   #1094
BHPian

Hi guys, quick questions. It takes about three weeks for an updated RC to be issued, when applied for transfer of ownership.
Can I as a buyer drive the vehicle on road in those couple of weeks?
What if the traffic police stops me for a check?
And if I have a crash, will the insurance cover it?

Thanks.
Old 2nd September 2020, 23:14   #1095
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ach1lles View Post
Hi guys, quick questions. It takes about three weeks for an updated RC to be issued, when applied for transfer of ownership.
Can I as a buyer drive the vehicle on road in those couple of weeks?
What if the traffic police stops me for a check?
And if I have a crash, will the insurance cover it?

Thanks.
Carry forms 29, 30 and the sale letter showing you've bought the vehicle. Insurance can be transferred to your name if you produce the receipt showing transfer of ownership has been initiated. Get that done before taking the car out and it'll be fine.
boniver is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks