Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2020, 19:08   #1156
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmadhok View Post
Similarly can we request insurance claims made for a vehicle we do not own?
You can get details of the car on central government's parivahan website. You can access car details, owner details, no. of owners, details of hypotheication, paid road tax amount, insurance details, financers details. Here is the link

https://vahan.parivahan.gov.in/vahan...erLayout.xhtml

Goto Status>My Vehicle details>Enter registration no., chassis no., engine no.
pawank is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2020, 12:17   #1157
BHPian

15.5L for 2017 Hyundai Tucson 2WD base variant which has clocked 40K. Yay or nay? What's the ideal price?
Old 30th November 2020, 10:06   #1158
BHPian

I am at present using a used SKODA YETI ( 2012 MODEL) purchased by me in 2017 and a used HONDA CBR 250(2011) and Kawasaki Ninja 650 (2011) bikes purchased in 2017 and 2018 respectively.

About SKODA YETI :==

I purchased it only after test riding the car ( a 4*4 with 140 BHP ,Diesel) on the Hyderabad ,ring road reaching a top speed of 185 kmph. I found the sitting position was very suitable for me and the car is light in weight and high in pickup . It did not show up any problems and a U-turn was good enough or satisfying.

The interior was extremely clean with fine leather seats and the rear seats were almost untouched. The car came to the dealer at Gachchibowli, Hyderabad after the dealer made a phone call to the seller.
When I went to the dealers location , I saw a school girls slippers or a small toy still there in the car. I did not see the seller. That was all.

I had transferred , 9,40 ,000 rupees , by RTGS and believed in the honesty of the dealer ( a very big shop ) . I bought the car home in the afternoon , after a 3M type of cleaning was done by the dealer. The car has a valid insurance from Bajaj.

As the dealer informed me and also as there was a sticker from Skoda service , the service was recently done. And hence, I did not bother to get a check done etc., After a good 1000 km run ,myself and my wife decided to go to Badarinath via Haridwar by road from Hyderabad. It was a 5000 km round trip. I was scared because it was a used car and I am using Sakoda for the first time..
I took the car to SKODA service center at Secunderabad, parade grounds. They checked the car and found no issues at all. At the same time I asked them to show me the past record where I found that there was a hit on the back door by a smaller two wheeler probably and they repaired entire rear left door. Except that there was nothing in the past history.
They even recognized and spoke about the previous owner, and also they changed it to my name in their computer. I realized after taking the car , that I had forgotten my ray-ban glasses in the car roof box , and they were promptly stolen by servicing guys. About this my complaining was of absolute waste of time.
After return ( from Badarinath ) , at 1,03,000 km ODO , exactly I gave this Skoda Yeti for servicing.
There was not much surprising event about the bill. They charged about 33,500 rupees for regular service and for smaller items replacement .

We planned our second tour after three months and this was to go to Nepal for a darshan of Pashupathinath temple. After I lost my Ray-ban glasses , I decided to give it for a check up , at Sanathnagar workshop of Skoda.

A general check up was done at 1500 rupees and they advised me to change battery , of which I changed at a cost of 9000 rupees (Amron).
Our tour to Nepal via Varanasi and return to Hyderabad , via Kolkata was a long one for 21 days and a journey of about 6000 km and Yeti performed extremely well. The body roll is very minimum and only we two , my wife and myself travelled without getting tired for about 700 km each day .

The car is butter smooth even today ( at 1,53,000 km ) , and there are no vibrations at all anywhere including gear shaft ,steering etc.,
So many days after ( may be two months later ) while we were returning in the night in the city , I found that coolant was drippling down.

The cost of replacements ( no repairs) of radiator ( entire radiator even though radiator fan was giving problem) ,clutch plates ( even though they can for run some more time , the labour cost for such replacement would be double if not done now as part replacing radiator according to the service advisor at Skoda ASS ) was a whopping 1,38,000=00 rupees !!!

After this , I had to visit three times because , I argued that there was a rough ,crackling sound while I changed the gears. They did not agree. On third visit they said that ( as the problem now increased and very visible) I should change Drive Shaft for which I paid an advance of Rs.25000 rupees and waited for about 10 days. This spare called Drive Shaft was changed at a cost of Rs.58000 rupees . And the regular service again ,which had cost me Rs.25000 approx. .
So my drive of about ( 1,53,000 km ) now ( pre-owned purchased at ODO of 93000 km ) had cost me about 3,30,000 in repairs, replacements and regular service ( and 3 years 6 months ).
If you were to ask me weather to buy a used premium cars like Skoda Superb, Skoda Yeti etc,. I would like to say positively about buying it.
The travelling will not be cumbersome or tiresome even for a long journey lie 700 km at a stretch..
In the recent times we went to Kedarnath from Hyderabad ( October 28th 2020) in this same Skoda Yeti and before that I got the car checked up. The Skoda ASS told me to change , brakes and a link rod which had cost me Rs.16,500/= and they topped up coolant etc.,) . After coming back from Kedarnath, I got it checked up again and they charged me Rs.1650/= , though they could not correct a false alarm in the front sensor while I am reversing. They advised only a complete change of sensor which meant Rs.6000/= ,for which I refused.
So, finally , I would like to say that buying a premium car in a second hand market makes sense. A new Skoda Yeti at the time might have cost Rs.23 lakhs. ( top end elegant model ). I purchased this in 2017 at Rs.9,50,000/= ( all including). And I spent 3,30,000 on repairs ,replacements including the cost of regular servicing. But that is all for 60,000 km run and 3 and half years time.
How does it matter. ?
An Audi A4 , for example , will cost you Rs.1 lakh ,even if you keep it at home, after an ODO of 100,000 km and go for a regular servicing. A new one will cost about Rs.30,000 rupees for each service in the begining. But a used AUDI A4 is very much available for about 10 lakhs ( about 90,000 km ODO and in good condition). And parts replacements like outer review mirror will cost you Rs.50,000 approx.

The point is how to evaluate a good USED ONE for a BUY.

1) Without test riding on highways at somewhat speeds of about 120 kmph , you should never BUY a premium vehicle , even if it means checking at Authorized service center.
2) At neutral gear ask some one to press the accelerator slowly until the bottom ,and check to see if there is any smoke emanating,and if there is a smoke coming out, then DO NOT BUY it. Even if it means white smoke because premium cars do not spew out smoke .
3) Pull out the oil level checking iron strip completely out , and see if the oil is spewing out ,or ejecting out ? and if it were then DO NOT BUY it.
4) check to see or observe if there are vibrations on steering, gear shafts etc., Close the doors and open them ( all the four) several times and the sound should be almost similar to how a new one of that brand would give.
5) Drive on roads where there are speed breakers etc., and there should NOT be any rattling noises down beneath from underbelly of the car . There should not be noises from suspension system.
6) bend below to check for any leakages and ,if there are simply DO NOT BUY it.
7) smoothness of car and its steering depends on its BRAND. If you do not know ,you must have a comparison check by a person who is using that brand. A Honda CR-V ,just for example, would be extraordinarily smooth , partly because of its petrol engine. If it is not butter smooth then you must doubt its suspension setup, its rough use by previous owner, and an untimely service etc., and please DO NOT BUY it.

8) It there is a running insurance which is valid , that is much better.
9) You must believe in good luck. If you go on suspecting and strive to get a perfect car ,then that would be a new one.
10) accept some minor faults and niggling issues as it is a used one.
venuraja is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 12:30   #1159
BHPian

My son is looking at buying a used automatic car (he is 6'4")) . The budget is strictly under 5 lakhs. Need inputs on which car will be a right fit for him, considering his height and budget. Obviously, the requirement is for a car which doesn't need too much of maintenance. His drives will be limited to mostly city runs within Bengaluru.

Last edited by civic-dk : 30th November 2020 at 12:31.
Old 30th November 2020, 14:37   #1160
BANNED

This such a useful detailed thread. One of my colleagues was suggesting me to get a used car but I went for a new one instead. Will make sure to share this thread if anyone is looking to get a used car in my circle.

I did see some lucrative deals on a used car during Diwali with banks such as HDFC and others but I didn't have many details about it.
Old 1st December 2020, 15:24   #1161
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-dk View Post
My son is looking at buying a used automatic car (he is 6'4")) . The budget is strictly under 5 lakhs. Need inputs on which car will be a right fit for him, considering his height and budget. Obviously, the requirement is for a car which doesn't need too much of maintenance. His drives will be limited to mostly city runs within Bengaluru.
I'm 6'4" myself and I find my wife's used A Star automatic a surprising fit in the front two seats. Other than that, I have test driven the Jazz CVT and liked it. Let's focus on the Jazz CVT as a practical used option; I have only seen 3 to 4 year old Jazzes here in Chennai for some reason in the used market that cost ~6 to 7 lakhs. The used market will be different in Bangalore and you may or may not need to up your budget to get a Jazz.

I have sat in my friend's Grand i10 and it was okay in the front passenger seat. You'll get psaringly used Grand i10 automatic examples at 5 lakhs for sure but it is a thirsty car that returns 7-9 kmpl in Bangalore city traffic, going by owners' reviews.

VW's hatch and sedan models are horrible for my height.
Old 5th December 2020, 15:57   #1162
BHPian

Gentlemen, need some advice!!

I'm looking at purchasing a Brio VX At. I have shortlisted two specimens

1. 2014 VX AT,45k kms, DL registered, at 3.6L.
2. 2016 VX AT, 27K kms, HR registered, at 4.6L.

Both the cars are very well maintained and serviced regularly at ASS. Maybe it's paranoia, but the 2014 vehicle felt much better fit together.

4.6L for the Brio seems a bit too steep, but these are the best options I could find. Do you guys reckon it's worth splurging an extra lakh for the newer vehicle.

Last edited by MotoBlip : 5th December 2020 at 16:07.
Old 5th December 2020, 16:05   #1163
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoBlip View Post
1. 2014 VX AT,45k kms, DL registered, at 3.6L.
2. 2016 VX AT, 27K kms, HR registered, at 4.6L.
Its a Honda, 20km is very little wear and tear.

A higher mileage is more honest - it shows up how the car had been used.
The Rs 1 Lakhs saved can be used for tyres and suspension.
You lose very little in depreciation

As you say - it felt a lot better

Go for it!
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 11:45   #1164
BHPian

I have been searching for a USED CAR ,in recent times. I want to have a sedan which shall give me driving pleasure as well as able to withstand long hours of driving like 12 hours in a day. I am 6 feet tall. I have at present Skoda Yeti , bought in 2017 and I am presently using it but for no specific reason I want just another car.
The budget is only 6 lakhs and below only , which I know is a very strict budget. I had test driven a 2010 Honda Accord v6 version, but I could not like it because ( that particular one ) it was giving out suspension noise, oil was also leaking underneath belly and unbelievably for me, there is water right under the carpet in front side , underneath seat carpet ,beside drivers seat.
The front driver side door inner side, was very obviously re-stitched inside in a very very poor way. This V6 was a pleasure to drive , there was no doubt about it.
I told the guy that I could not buy it for Rs.6 lakhs or at even lower price.
I had test driven a Santa Fe ( at car dealer ) and could not like it because the suspension was stiff and car lacked pick up as for my observation.
I had test driven a Volvo S60 and I had immensely liked it but it was way above my budget ( Rs.11 lakhs for 2012 model , maintained extremely well at 93000 km, appearing like a new one ) . Another Volvo S60 2012 model , ODO at 1,23,000 km seems to be poorly maintained ,was flashing error messages on the dash board like " ABS needs maintenance" and also " service is due for long " .
Otherwise it was not emitting any smoke and running very well.

I had recently seen a NISSAN X-TRAIL and fallen in love with its huge ,big leather seats and very long and wide sun roof and very spacious interiors. The asking price is Rs.7,70,000/= and I gave quotation of Rs. 5 lakhs only . The dealer asked me to come over for a discussion. This Nissan x-trail A/C does not seem to be working properly. ODO at 1,23,000 km . The front right side door handle ( outside) fallen away. the wiser under sun roof glass has to be manually pulled but it is little bent. Tires have to be changed almost immediately. The entire roof is definitely dirty and sound proofing material under the bonnet was torn, it was like rags. The engine is emitting a good synchronous sound.
I am not sure about spares availability but somehow I feel this will be suitable for my touring to distant places like Meghalaya ,Arunachal Pradesh etc., which I am planning now.
Old 7th January 2021, 09:37   #1165
BHPian

Hi,

I am in the look out for a used car for my wife and stuck in a confusing situation and I need some guidance from the experts on this forum.

Scenario - Wife needs a car to commute to work (40 Km to and fro) hence auto transmission is a must and she is a newbie to driving hence not very keen on getting a new car.

Cars in the Garage -

1. Maruthi Celerio AMT - Dad used to use this regularly for his office commute, he's now retired and hence its not being used much. (ODO: 30K)

2, Hyundai Accent - I am the only one who uses this car and its mostly used for long trips and when we have to carry more stuff. No plans of replacing this (ODO : 54K)

Scenario - Now that we already have an AMT at home, there is no problem in wife using that for her office commute as it is idle most of the time. But once her office resumes in Feb'21 I don't want dad to become car-less when wife has taken it for work and given the current scenario not too comfortable in asking dad to take cab given that he's above 60 yrs.

Now the third car that we buy will have to be an automatic and will not be used much, its strictly going to be a backup car which dad would use for his city run-arounds or wife would use when the Celerio is off-duty and not to forget, parking space at home is only for 2 cars and the third one will mostly be exposed to the nature's elements as we cannot arrange a covered parking and will be parked out side the compound if we have to leave behind all the cars at home for a vacation.

Confusion: Which car to buy?

I've been looking at the used car market for quite sometime now, I had almost made up my mind on getting a Tata Nano Amt, but a test-drive of a prospective seller's car made me rethink on this for the following reasons.

1. The car lacked the safety feeling I get when I sit inside my other cars.
2. Extremely poor braking
3. Dint feel stable at turnings
4. Very poor pickup

Note: The car I drove had just 14K km and had a complete service record, the seller was quoting 2.2 lakhs for the car

Now I am considering buying a used Hyundai Santro Automatic but the fact that most of the Santro’s I see in the used car market are almost 13 to 15 years old and with their 3rd or 4th owners with around 60K km on the ODO, quoting price INR 2 lakhs.

So now I am confused if I should get a lesser confidence inspiring but newer Tata Nano (and not worry about FC formalities till 2030) or get the Hyundai Santro even if its 13-15 years old and with its 3rd or 4th owner (where most of the vehicles already have the FC or will have to get the FC in an year).

Or should I go in for a used Maruthi Alto Amt, these ones are costing me around 3.75 lakhs to 4 lakhs (Year - 2016 and ODO - 23K km)

Need advice from the experts on this forum.

Please note: I want to keep the investment as low as possible since this is not going to serve us as a primary car ever.

Thanks,
Nishith
Old 10th January 2021, 13:59   #1166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishith View Post
Hi,

I am in the look out for a used car for my wife and stuck in a confusing situation and I need some guidance from the experts on this forum.

Scenario - Wife needs a car to commute to work (40 Km to and fro) hence auto transmission is a must and she is a newbie to driving hence not very keen on getting a new car.
Hi Nishith, just a thought considering the potential low usage and lack of parking - would it make sense do just keep a driver instead of buying a car?

Normally, in most cities (I guess Blr also), you do get drivers as and when required on a daily basis. Most of these are professional drivers driving cabs, corporate cars, etc. However, given Covid, you may want to have one full time.

Whenever there are multiple trips on the same day, driver can drop at office, come back & do the needful and then go pick up again from office.

Last edited by vb-saan : 10th January 2021 at 14:49. Reason: For better reading experience (especially from smartphones) please do not quote the whole post. Thank you!
Old 1st February 2021, 12:47   #1167
BHPian

Need help with used car

Hello everyone,
I am a new member and this will be my 1st post since joining. I stay in Mumbai. We used to own a 1992 M800 which we sold off in 2009, so that was technically my 1st car since I drove it quite a bit). Was planning for the Old Santro while in college, but that didn't materialize. Since selling off our M800, I was dependent on Ola/Uber in the city & Zoomcar for car rentals whenever we wanted to go out of town. Not happy with Zoomcar service, I opted for a lease from Revv during the lockdown (I will post my experience shortly).

Now I am planning for my 1st car purchase and I have thought of going the pre-owned route. I have a budget of around 6L (might stretch a bit if i get a good car) for the car. I will spend a bit on some accessories I'm planning, but that can happen slowly during the ownership period.
I have been checking out cars online for the past couple of months (Olx, Car24, etc) and reading car reviews on T-BHP as well. Since I am interested in SUV bodystyle, I have been seeing cars of that style. I am quite keen on a Duster (post-facelift model) . My usage will be more in city but I will take the car out on highways trips too (within Maharashtra & Gujarat mostly). From my research, the 85PS version seems better suited for the city, but I am keen on the 110PS, the idea being that since this is my 1st car, I don't want to feel like I compromised on power even with limited expressway use. The only fear that I have is maintenance costs, esp. the injector issues I have seen being mentioned on the forum. Can anyone tell me how easy & cost-effective is it to maintain a Duster? I have considered Creta, Brezza & Ecosport also, but while the Ecosport isn't the most spacious, Creta is out of my budget, esp. the better equipped models. Nexon looks funky, but I am not keen on it. Overall my mind is almost set on Duster. I will keep the car for 5-8 yrs minimum, and I don't know if my usage will go up, another reason I want to go for the more powerful version. I am aware that the Duster is not very good on ergonomics but I can live with it.
I would appreciate any advice other experienced members might have to give.
Old 1st February 2021, 15:30   #1168
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Need help with used car

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGCST View Post
From my research, the 85PS version seems better suited for the city, but I am keen on the 110PS, the idea being that since this is my 1st car, I don't want to feel like I compromised on power even with limited expressway use. The only fear that I have is maintenance costs, esp. the injector issues I have seen being mentioned on the forum. Can anyone tell me how easy & cost-effective is it to maintain a Duster?
85PS won't let you down in highways unless you are looking for some outright performance or in-gear acceleration or some fancy 3 digit speeds. I have done multiple highway trips and city drives in 85PS variant and nothing major to complain. But since you already made your mind for the 110PS, you can go ahead.

Regular maintenance is at par with the segment and as you rightly mentioned about the known injector issue, keep aside a lakh for future repairs (Thanks to the low resale value compared to creta, what is saved there may or may not be consumed later) Apart from that regular wear and tear parts (Suspension, clutch brakes) don't cost you much. Have a look at boodmo for parts cost comparison and any trusted FNG could attend the vehicle since it doesn't come with complex electronics.
Old 1st February 2021, 16:51   #1169
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Best to avoid the Duster altogether if you have no experience of the maintenance costs for a car in quite a while now. Its not just the routine repairs but quite a few things fail prematurely. Just don't get a car which is out of warranty and don't even think of a used 110. Even if the injectors behave themselves, the clutch replacement cost on the 110 will make you regret the decision.

Things which fail:
-AC direction control
-Fresh / recirculation air flap
-Indicator stalk assembly
-AC Evaporator (cooling) coil
-Rattles and squeaks from doors

Wearing/ageing/failing Parts which are insanely priced:
-Brake Pads + Discs (~INR 11,000/-)
-Brake Shoes (~6,000/-)
-Set of Tyres (~30,000/- onwards)
-Clutch Master & Slave cylinder which goes with the clutch kit (~5,500/- and 3,700/-)
-AC direction box (~26,000/- if it requires replacement)
-Indicator stalk (~10,000/-)
-Radiator fan (~22,000/-)
-Turbocharger (~54,000/- or 72,000/- for 85 and 110 respectively)
-Headlamp assembly (~13,000/- each)
-AC Compressor (~32,000/-)
-ECM/ECU (~52,000/-)
-Door latch/lock parts (~2,500 - 5,500/-)
-Front Shock Absorber Bush kit (~2,300/- each side)
-Dual Mass Flywheel (110 only) (~40,000/-)
Tgo is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 17:01   #1170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGCST View Post
From my research, the 85PS version seems better suited for the city, but I am keen on the 110PS, the idea being that since this is my 1st car, I don't want to feel like I compromised on power even with limited expressway use.
If you can afford the higher powered variant, just go for it. This is one thing I still regret on my car buying decision that was made 15 years ago. Instead of a puny 1.2, I could have gone for the 1.6 GTX. Compensated for it during my latest buy - bought the most powerful one in the entire segment and remapped it

Last edited by clevermax : 1st February 2021 at 17:03.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks