Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2021, 11:10   #1216
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

Hi all,
We are planning to buy a used maruthi celerio for my brother. We have zeroed in on a car and it is running perfectly fine.

However, during inspection, I say these patches (refer image) in the boot.

Can someone please tell me if this is from factory or tinkering work done on the car?

Thank you in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India-9e6c16891c424346a688d7d2bba67e95.jpeg  

ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India-66040d45a8e3439ab5e7834702ae6078.jpeg  

Last edited by Viv3k : 4th August 2021 at 11:11. Reason: Martini to maruthi spell check
Old 4th August 2021, 18:24   #1217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viv3k View Post
However, during inspection, I say these patches (refer image) in the boot. Can someone please tell me if this is from factory or tinkering work done on the car?
This is from factory. I have the same in my cars as well. Below is the post from the official review, where you can see the marks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Even the ZXi (O) MT doesn’t get an alloy wheel spare. It's a full-size steel wheel:
The easiest way you can find if it has been in a front or rear end crash, is to check all clips, covers and emblems along with the tolerances. If they are in place, there is a higher chance that it was not wrecked.
Researcher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 16:41   #1218

Hi All,

Just wanted to get your opinion on the recently announced Ola Cars platform for used cars. Do you think it will be more dependable than the other ones?

Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 18:12   #1219
BHPian

Hi All,

I'm looking for a replacement for my Punto 90 HP and an Ex-Army MM550. Essentially looking for a proper 4wd. I have started looking at the Bolero LX and Pajero SFX. It would be helpful to know of other options south of 10 lacs . Also, what to look for when buying the above mentioned vehicles, essentially these are not available as new ,so would have to go for used ones. All advise and comments are welcome .

Thanks in Advance
Nishkam
Old 9th August 2021, 20:59   #1220
Senior - BHPian

Bolero Neo has a mechanical locking differential. Should be good for minor off roading. Else a Thar?

https://www.cartoq.com/new-mahindra-...mld-in-action/

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishkamm View Post
Hi All,

I'm looking for a replacement for my Punto 90 HP and an Ex-Army MM550. Essentially looking for a proper 4wd. I have started looking at the Bolero LX and Pajero SFX.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 09:26   #1221
BHPian

Hello hserus, greetings.
The Bolero Neo does not fit my bill. Need a proper 4x4 with Low Ratio.

Saw a Bolero LX 2015. Just cannot come up with a quote for it. It's in fairly good condition.

Last edited by nishkamm : 10th August 2021 at 09:35.
Old 13th September 2021, 19:44   #1222

Hello all,
Is it worth buying a 11 year old Toyota Innova for 8.5L? Below are the details of the car
Model: 2.5V Bharat IV
Fuel type : Diesel
Seater : 7
Gear type: Manual
Features: 2 air bags, ABS, leather seats
Accidents : front windshield changed, 3 dents repaired

Please advice. Thanks in advance.
Old 13th September 2021, 21:51   #1223
BHPian

Hi All,

Please advice me on buying a 2010 Mitsubishi Pajero SFX
Run 1.42 lacs kms, Fair Exterior condition and good interiors.
I understand the issue in availability of parts and getting it serviced. Would love to hear your experience on that. Also please advice on the price .

Thanks
Nishkam.
Old 14th September 2021, 17:08   #1224
BHPian

I am in the market for a used car. I have been driving a friend's Nano for six months and found my comfort with the car getting better and better every month. The Nano XT is certainly a breeze to drive in Mumbai and zips through gaps that autorickshaws have second thoughts about.
The only catch is that I don't feel it is safe to be on the highway, though I have driven to Lonavla recently.
With safety in mind, I have been scouting for used cars.
I saw a Ford Ecosport petrol that seemed to be affordable; I saw the car, it didn't look pretty worshipped; more like heavily ignored. The car starts promptly and drove smoothly in the very short test drive. I saw a spare part box for a " Module" in the boot.
I checked with the Ford service and learnt it was a Rs 21,000 part.
Secondly, the insurance policy has a zero NCB; a discreet enquiry revealed that a claim had been made last year.
The owner is not available and his employee isn't aware of both issues.
A Ford mechanic said that the module only fails if water enters it. Could it be flood hit ?
Should I ignore my anxiety, go ahead and make an offer or stay away.
Old 15th September 2021, 17:28   #1225
BHPian

Hi experts!!

I am looking to buy a used VW Jetta 2.0 tdi. I have seen some and closed in on a 2011 model done 83k kms. The car is well kept, looks very clean but always serviced outside so I cannot check if the routine services and dsg oil / water pump was changed or not. Company scanning showed some error codes which the dealer has said are abs sensor issues and some other parking sensor issues and that he will get it rectified. The ac was not functioning well as well which again he has said will be rectified.

I did pay the booking amount and then checked if the work was done. They dealer says all work is completed except for 1 error on the ecm. As the car crosses 100 kph the ecm resets itself! I dont understand what exactly that means and those were his exact words. He has asked a couple more days to resolve.

What do you guys think? Is it fishy or a common issue which can be solved and NOT COME BACK?
Old 23rd September 2021, 11:14   #1226
BHPian

Fellow Team BHP-ians,

I've been reading through a whole bunch of threads on second-hand purchases in anticipation of our next purchase.

Given the lack of options in the 20-30L sedan segment, second-hand options seem like the way to go.

I'd love to understand how you determine what would be a fair price for a car and what is the extent of negotiation expected?

I would typically expect to see a 25-30% depreciation on a two year old car with ~20K on the odo. I try to understand how much the person would have paid for it and apply the haircut on that price.

for e.g. if I am buying a second-hand A4 two years down the line, I would expect to get it around 30-35L given that they are selling at 40-45L this year --- Is this a fair estimate ?

However, the difference with what is quoted is quite stark. When I was researching a second hand 2018 C class , I asked a friend who had bought one in the same year.
The asking price for a 3 year old car is ~1L lesser than what the new car would have sold for in 2018.

Same with the Fortuner (researched it a couple of years ago) - the asking price for a 4 year Fortuner was 2.5L less than what my friend paid for it in the same year.

So sellers are expecting to recover close to 90-95% of their purchase price on the 40-45L purchases - bridging the gap from that asking price to my expectation of a fair price has been very hard.

Lowballer is a word that was thrown around during one of the conversations!

Am I getting it wrong? or do I just need to spend more time, make more calls?

Thanks!
M
Mar21 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 12:57   #1227
BHPian

Is a Brio CVT a good car to buy in the used market? What do I have to watch out for and what do I avoid in terms of the CVT gearbox itself.

If you can suggest a reliable CVT car for city and highway use.

Options I am aware of:

Honda Brio CVT
MS Baleno CVT
Honda Jazz CVT
Old 24th September 2021, 10:50   #1228
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

I understand the issue in availability of parts and getting it serviced. Would love to hear your experience on that. Also please advice on the price .

Thanks
Nishkam.
Any advice on this will help
Old 26th September 2021, 22:04   #1229
BHPian

Quote:
Any advice on this will help
It would be better to choose a high selling vehicle for your requirements. Trust me the time, energy and frustration involved in procuring spare parts is just too overwhelming.

Stay away, better buy a Scorpio or Bolero 4x4 if you want 4x4.
amit_purohit20 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 11:55   #1230
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

Thanks
Nishkam.
The car will be very unreliable, as it is 10+ Years old and run 1.42 lakh km.

A good SUV in the 10-15 lakh budget is the Scorpio, so check that one out.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks