Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2021, 08:36   #1246
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

What ever happened to individuals putting their cars up on these see car websites. Nowadays all these websites are only filled with used car dealers.
Is it true that these days you don’t get the service history along with the car, all dealers always say, “we can call for it from the company for 10,000/- Rupees.”
in the ad they always right that the full service record is available. Can any one provide some insight on the above two topics.
Old 12th November 2021, 10:36   #1247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycers_honda View Post
What ever happened to individuals putting their cars up on these see car websites. Nowadays all these websites are only filled with used car dealers.
Is it true that these days you don’t get the service history along with the car, all dealers always say, “we can call for it from the company for 10,000/- Rupees.”
in the ad they always right that the full service record is available. Can any one provide some insight on the above two topics.
Yes I have noticed this trick by the dealers. Ad will say service history available but after meeting they will either say that it is with owner and after you confirm deal (pay token) they will get it from him or we need to pay and get it from the service center. Charges vary from broker to broker.

In reality, service history is readily available with all owners over phone or email. These days the bills are emailed by some companies.
sunilch is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2021, 12:20   #1248
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycers_honda View Post
Owner car options are present but they get buried as dealers repost their ad almost on a daily basis. Once you start tracking options (say for a particular car), you'll notice the same ad coming up again as freshly uploaded just to stay on top of the results. Owner options are less but you'll get them - but expect to do a lot of searching across different means (OLX, Team-bhp classifieds, whatsapp & FB groups, etc.).

As for dealers, some do allow (e.g. Spinny). As for others, it's a trial and error basis, no other option. Else the other option is stay clear of dealer options and wait it out over a longer period. Eventually you'll get decent options in the market.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2021, 08:11   #1249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Owner car options are present but they get buried as dealers repost their ad almost on a daily basis. Once you start tracking options (say for a particular car), you'll notice the same ad coming up again as freshly uploaded just to stay on top of the results. Owner options are less but you'll get them - but expect to do a lot of searching across different means (OLX, Team-bhp classifieds, whatsapp & FB groups, etc.).
Tell the dealer that you will take it to the nearby authorized service centre for inspection and checking service record. If he objects then move away.

Owner posted ads will attract a lot of dealers who will claim they want to decide whose name they want the car registered, their or their wife's etc.

Some fellows will buy the car, then drive it for two or three years without re registering it, then sell the car on after having got your signature on blank and undated form 29/30 etc. Insurance and car will be in your name so if he mows down someone in an accident the cops will come calling to your house.

If you sell your car to a dealer make sure it is a guy with an actual yard where he keeps cars to sell, rather than the "park and sell" fellows operating out of their homes.
hserus is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 21:51   #1250
BHPian

I'll be buying a used car by end of this week, do I get the old RC as a proof of document or RTO takes the old RC card and gives a new one with my name.

Can someone please let me know ?

Also how much time does it take for transfer of ownership ? Should I insist the the car remain unused until the ownership transfer is completed ?
Old 16th November 2021, 12:08   #1251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritz2010 View Post
I'll be buying a used car by end of this week, do I get the old RC as a proof of document or RTO takes the old RC card and gives a new one with my name.

Can someone please let me know ?

Also how much time does it take for transfer of ownership ? Should I insist the the car remain unused until the ownership transfer is completed ?
You don't get the original copy of the old RC. You will need to submit it to RTO for ownership transfer.

Please keep a photocopy of the original RC. If you are getting it through some dealer, he should also give a 'Delivery Note', which should be sufficient, along with the copies of all the other documents, until the ownership is transferred.
Else, keep the receipt of the ownership transfer application in the RTO as the proof for time being.

Ownership transfer time varies from RTO to RTO. It also depends on whether your existing vehicle is hypothecated or not.
If its not hypothecated, it should be a quick thing, couple of weeks on an average.
PassionateDrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2021, 07:42   #1252
BHPian

Sorry for the back to back post. Duster CVT owners please advice - I've reached out to every Duster CVT thread and haven't got any word. Hence re-posting here.

Duster Turbo CVT with MY 2020 with 10k on odo I'm taking delivery today from second owner - is there any issues to watch out especially on the CVT and engine front.

I'm getting complete check up done at ASC. I've break pad squeaking on de-pressing. Local mechanic said air is leaking somewhere.

Owner says its just some spring noise (oil should arrest it) - I was ROFL, but kept mum.

Mechanic asked if this has been day one issue and owner said this is how it has been from day one. The noise was annoying and I don't think it was from day one.

Mechanic added since its just under a year and covered by company warranty its good to go ahead. May be this issue with CVT model or so they may cover under warranty or if its known issue it'll be fixed under warranty.
Old 20th November 2021, 21:53   #1253
BHPian

A bit of an odd query here: I was going through some ads on OLX and came across a 2016 Crysta in Ambarnath (Mumbai Suburban area). Observations:

1) It was listed as 'Direct Owner' and 1st owner, but later turned out to be a dealer posting or a 2nd owner posting with no transfer done for it.

2) This I came to know after seeing the sellers' name as different than what was on the Insurance copy. Nothing unusual so far, dealers do this often.

3) The real twister: I checked the car registration number on Vahan and it showed Invalid number. Meaning this RC number does not exist. I called him to ask why and he said he has purchased an out of sequence special number and hence this case. I said that is not a valid reason as all RCs get uploaded onto system. Then he said since this is an out of sequence number, he received a physical RC booklet (what we used to get 20+ years back) and not a smart card or print.

4) I thought he is lying and this is the case of some 'write-off' car with a fake RC number. So I told him to show me proof. He then sent me photos on WA of a RC booklet with RTO stamps on it with the said RC number.

5) The number isn't any special as such and the series is a proper 2016 series as I know the series that was going on in 2016 at Kalyan RTO. So I called up a known Agent to inquire and he said it is very likely a 'Jhol' but he will need the original RC booklet to confirm. He could take the booklet to the RTO to double confirm the same.

6) Looking at this I told seller that I am not considering the car any more as he showed desperation in selling the same by calling me 3-4 times today to ask when will I come to see it. He even said he can bring the car to my place to show it to me

7) Question for all: What can be the trick here? Can this be a fake RC booklet as I understand that MH has stopped giving booklets many years back. However, there was a brief period when smartcards were not available in MH due to vendor issues with RTO and they were issuing papers. But Thane RTO (MH04) was issuing a printed A4 paper with RTO stamps on it. This was 100% valid as I did deal with such cases earlier for my used Bike purchase. I doubt the seller will give me the original RC booklet to get it verified

Last edited by sunilch : 20th November 2021 at 21:56.
sunilch is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2021, 23:41   #1254

I recently test drove a Jazz CVT. On normal inclines (flyovers), when I take my leg off the brake, the vehicle is able to move forward from stationary condition or at least hold its ground. However, on mall ramps/basement ramps, the vehicle is not able to even give me a moment's pause before starting to roll back. Is this expected? Do all Jazz owners basically use handbrake + accelerate to start off on a ramp?

To clarify, I'm not surprised that the vehicle moved back on a ramp without accelerator. Just that I had expected it to hold for a second (within which I can move my leg from break to accelerator) but this did not happen.

Thanks!

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 25th November 2021 at 10:42. Reason: typo: brake
Old 25th November 2021, 00:51   #1255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
A bit of an odd query here: I was going through some ads on OLX and came across a 2016 Crysta in Ambarnath (Mumbai Suburban area). Observations:

1) It was listed as 'Direct Owner' and 1st owner, but later turned out to be a dealer posting or a 2nd owner posting with no transfer done for it.

2) This I came to know after seeing the sellers' name as different than what was on the Insurance copy. Nothing unusual so far, dealers do this often.
Why do you find this normal and accepted behavior? Isn't this outright illegal and cheating as they claim this is a single owned car? Is the first owner aware that ownership has not been transferred?
I declined to buy a car which had this specific issue, details here - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ce-needed.html (Buying a used Audi Q3 | Advice needed)
streetfighter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2021, 05:59   #1256
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetfighter View Post
Why do you find this normal and accepted behavior? Isn't this outright illegal and cheating as they claim this is a single owned car? Is the first owner aware that ownership has not been transferred?
I declined to buy a car which had this specific issue, details here - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ce-needed.html (Buying a used Audi Q3 | Advice needed)
The useless fellows won't even admit they are dealers. The original owner is always a "cousin" or "friend" who is "in the USA now and left signed transfer papers with me"
hserus is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2021, 10:50   #1257
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmanuel_Cant View Post
...I had expected it to hold for a second (within which I can move my leg from break to accelerator) but this did not happen.

Thanks!
Jazz doesn't get hill hold/start assist, so yes, the brakes are disengaged the moment you lift off the pedal.

With transmission in D, it should be able to crawl forward on a flat surface or stay put on a low-gradient incline for a moment, but steeper inclines are beyond its capabilities.

Use the handbrake, like you'd do with a manual transmission.
Old 25th November 2021, 11:02   #1258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetfighter View Post
What I meant is that most (99%) of the dealers do this. This is as commonly observed behavior as is ODO tampering. Hence this is expected when you deal with a broker.
sunilch is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2021, 20:25   #1259
BHPian

I was speaking with the dealer from whom I purchased my last car (2012 Honda City V AT), as I'm in the market for a new one. He told me about a Blue 2009 BMW 520d with Beige interiors, first owner (company owned), which has had all its services done at BMW Authorised dealers. I'm yet to confirm how many KMs it has run. It has insurance until Oct 2022 and it had 45% NCB in the last renewal. He's offering it for 8 Lakhs. This is in Bengaluru.
Now, I was not even thinking of BMW 5 series till today. He sent me a video of the car, and it looks to be in a decent shape. I still have to visit and check it out in person. But, it's got my mind going bonkers. I had a BMW 3 series at the back of my mind. But this was unexpected.

My questions as follows:
1. Is this a 8L a decent price for a one owner 520d in Bengaluru?
2. What should I look for when going for checking it? Luxury cars and their nitty gritties escape me.
3. I'm sure the maintenance is not going to be cheap, but I don't expect to hold onto this for very long (less than a year). From GTO's 530d review he said, expect to pay 1-1.5L in maintenance for these cars. It's steep, but I can manage that if I get to dip my feet in the luxury car world. Does anyone know what are the maintenance items to look for at this age?
4. Will BMW do a pre-purchase inspection? Does anyone know how much it costs?
5. What's the loss that I can expect when selling in a year? Is there even a market for these at what will be 13-14 year of age by then.
5. And finally is this too good to be true and should I keep away from it? Or You-Only-Live-Once (no SMS lingo as per team-bhp's rule!) it
Old 16th December 2021, 11:06   #1260
BHPian

Came across a 3 year old 3GT and dealer shared all the information with me. I checked the challan history and the car has 6 over speeding challans in 2021 and 6 more in 2019-20. Over speeding challans must be the automtic ones implemented in Mumbai and around. Does this indicate an abused car or given our low speed limits, this can be overlooked?

Most Viewed