Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2013, 22:06   #166
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Lease OR Loan? Which EMI is better for you

In my case the down payment was done directly to the dealer.

The final invoice was issued indicating the down payment as the advance payment, so the leasing company released payment only for the balance amount.

In my opinion the down payment alters/reduces profit/gain you would get from the tax benefit and interest gain if that money was invested else where.

I don't see a risk, if you choose to exit the leases before the tenure or even at the end of the tenure, you will have to pay the exit amount any way.

Am I missing something when you say risk?
Old 6th November 2013, 09:57   #167
BHPian

Operating Lease works this way. Once you settle the amount, the leasing company provides two copies of form 35 and a NOC to RTO and Insurance company. With this you need to first cancel the Hypothecation on your RC Book from the RTO. Post that you can transfer the vehicle in your name from the company. For this you will need form 29, form 30 and clearance certificate from the company. Once you submit all this, the RTO will transfer the vehicle in your name.
Old 16th November 2013, 01:28   #168
BHPian

Just saw this thread, will drop a email to HR guys on monday.

Is this something that can only happen if the company has lease car option? or you just approach the lease car company directly?
Old 18th November 2013, 15:12   #169
BHPian

Your company should offer this facility and would have already tied up with a leasing company.
Old 20th November 2013, 23:01   #170
BHPian

No reply from HR yet. But asking around among colleagues doesn't seem my company have any such tie up. So I am out of luck in that case? From the sounds of it one off leasing doesn't seem common.
Old 21st November 2013, 12:02   #171
BHPian

I have heard the high value cars, and I have seen an ad long back for Merc, which has this leasing option from the dealer... not sure if there are any such options for other cars.

Yet the main advantage of leasing when taken from the company is the tax benefit, without which a regular car loan would be the option.

Perhaps the dealer leasing option works for those who own a business who can show this as expense without having to deal with the depreciation of the car if bought.
Old 23rd December 2013, 14:06   #172

Dear Fellow Bhp’ians.
Need your expert point of views opinion on this –
I opted for my company car lease policy back in 2012 from my employer, and got myself a Vento on the Orix 3 lease plan. The car is Mumbai ( MH02) June 2012 registered, a Black highline diesel and has appx 16 k clicks till date.
The invoice price at the time was Rs 11.5 lacs. Till date, the car has cost me Rs. 8.17 lacs ( i.e Rs 1.33 lacs - ( upfront RV etc ) + Rs 6.84 lacs ( i.e Rs 38 k monthly EMI x 18 months )
I’m moving on form my current company, as a result I have to either foreclose the lease, or transfer the lease to a personal one. Now here’s the issue, as I look at it–
1. I’m taking a sabbatical from work for the next few years– so the option to transfer the lease to new employment does not exist.
2. Transferring the lease to a personal one means – no tax rebate and a substantially high monthly outgoing of Rs. 38 k for a 6 lacs rupees book value on vehical.
3. Foreclosing the lease means I end up paying Rs 6.21 lacs ; over and above the Rs 8.17 lacs already paid. ( i.e Rs 1.33 lacs upfront + Rs 6.84 lacs lease EMI’s paid from July 2012 till Dec 2013)
4. Selling the car ( post foreclosure ) – I lose Rs 5.69 lacs ( Rs 6.21 foreclosure amount + 1.33 lacs upfront down payment + Rs 4.85 lease EMI’s till date ( Rs 6.84 lacs less 30% towards appx tax benefit gained till date ) ) – ( estimated market resale of Rs. 6.7 lacs as on date )

I wanted your thoughts / suggestions on – the best way forward for my situation, and any alternate suggestions to minimize losses.
Old 23rd December 2013, 19:52   #173
BHPian

Sabbatical! Wow! enjoy your break... Wish I could take one

On the car, I had sat with an excel sheet cracking my head out on this, when I went in for my lease, working out all 'possible' permutations, end result: I went in knowing full well - if I don't complete the tenure, I will be in loss.

What matters in my opinion, is what you want-

Do you want to retain the car or get rid of it?
Do you want to retain cash in hand during your break?
Do you not mind having an EMI going forward?

I know I am not giving you an answer but more questions, but answers to some of these would help with the decision and the least loss subject to that...

Last edited by ajitkumarlb : 23rd December 2013 at 19:53.
Old 24th December 2013, 14:45   #174
BHPian

There is another option that is in practice in my company, i.e. transferring the vehicle to someone in the organization.

That way the person will continue to pay the remaining EMIs and will be marked as the user going forward.

Saves the trouble of transferring at an RTO, clearing the loan...

For the amount you have already paid as the EMI till date + any accessories you have added: you can charge the person around 70% to 80% of that total amount.

Generally I have seen the insurance companies calculating the vehicle cost/depreciation like this:

They only take the Ex-Show room price.
First Insurance IDV: 5% less than the Ex-Show that year
Second year Insurenace IDV: 20% less than Ex-Show current year
Third year Insurance IDV: 30% less than the Ex-Show current year
Old 23rd January 2014, 16:04   #175
BHPian

Is there any way to lease a car on my personal name? If so, then what are the procedures to go about it? And will that still be economically viable?
Old 24th January 2014, 11:08   #176
BHPian

I don't think that is possible when leasing from company - however that would be good as the RC book will have our name as the first.

From my earlier post:

I have heard the high value cars, and I have seen an ad long back for Merc, which has this leasing option from the dealer... not sure if there are any such options for other cars.

Yet the main advantage of leasing when taken from the company is the tax benefit, without which a regular car loan would be the option.

Perhaps the dealer leasing option works for those who own a business who can show this as expense without having to deal with the depreciation of the car if bought.
Old 29th March 2014, 12:55   #177
BHPian

would like to have more clarity on this point of leasing for self.Is it a better option than outright purchase.

Last edited by Ramanjit : 29th March 2014 at 13:03. Reason: similar post on the thread,somehow missed reading it earlier.
Old 21st April 2014, 15:50   #178
Senior - BHPian

Folks i have a question.

Suppose i take a car on company lease, but for some reason i need to leave the organisation before lease is over.

Now in this case, as i understand, i have to pay back the lease company the outstanding loan amount and get the car registered in my name (this process is also known as foreclosure).

Now suppose i do not have enough funds to buy out the car in my name for foreclosure of lease. In that case - can i take a loan from a Bank - in the same way as one takes car loan for a Second hand car? AFAIK - since the car will be transferred to my name if i foreclose the loan, it will be treated as a second hand car. So theorotically atleast any Bank which provides car loan for a second hand car (albeit at a higher rate than a new car) - should be able to provide the loan ?
Am i correct or am i missing something.
Old 21st April 2014, 16:17   #179
BHPian

yes you should be able to get a loan, approach the 3rd party that is handling the lease, they might have some deals as well.

worst case a personal loan could be a solution...
ajitkumarlb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2014, 17:12   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkumarlb View Post
yes you should be able to get a loan, approach the 3rd party that is handling the lease, they might have some deals as well.

worst case a personal loan could be a solution...
Thanks for that input.

One more question, suppose i change my job before lease (say within 1st year) in a company which provides leasing through the same vendor (say Leaseplan), in that case will the lease be transferred or will i have to pay foreclosure penalty and Road tax+insurance and then start a fresh lease in the other company ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks