Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2019, 14:24   #106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Option 1: Buy a Vento/Rapid TDI DSG and call it a day
The test drive unit I got of Rapid TDI, sounded like a tractor. Never considered the car again.

Last edited by pseudo_coder : 7th November 2019 at 14:31.
pseudo_coder is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th November 2019, 14:40   #107
BHPian

Re: How a more expensive car can work out cheaper (if you hold onto it for longer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
What I do believe is in spending right at the right time so you don't have to spend a fortune over incidental expenses!
Exactly. The life of any car is dependent on how well you maintain it. There is no reason why a 'regular' car cannot last as much as a 'better/more expensive' car if taken care of properly. Long term maintenance can be a problem only if the model is out of production and spares become unavailable. I'm of the same mindset as yours of needing solid justification for replacements. I bought the Wagon R because fit my needs perfectly and is not something that will go out of production (unlike say the Maruti A-star) easily. I plan to keep it at least for 10 years.

Of course, if you are passionate about something, then I guess logical arguments don't apply. Passion to have the latest and greatest can drive folks to upgrade cars, motorbikes, mobile phones, bicycles, cameras or whatever their interest is in. Such upgrades are not driven by sound financial calculations about the total cost of ownership or value deprecation during resale. But yes, I agree with (what I think is) the general premise of this thread that if you plan to purchase something for the long term, always buy the best thing you can afford at that time which checks all your minimum requirements .
itisravi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th November 2019, 14:54   #108
Senior - BHPian

Re: How a more expensive car can work out cheaper (if you hold onto it for longer)

Depends on priorities too. I have been driving a Mar 2007 Corolla and would be extremely sad when I have to let it go after 15 years (NGT rule for NCR). Absolutely good for another 10 years or 100000 km. It has only recently crossed 100000 km and hardly makes any noise.Prior to that, I used to change cars every 3-5 years. Perhaps, as we reach late middle age (I will be 53 on 31.12.2019), our priorities change and we may hold on to stuff for longer.

I have 2 choices in 2020-1: a new Corolla/Yaris or a used 3-5 yr/<50000 km Corolla/Camry. I wish I had more confidence in the used car segment. Given the 15 year rule, a used car that can last for 10-12 years would be great. My driving anyway is now 5000-7000 km per annum and will only go down over time.

Last edited by vasudeva : 7th November 2019 at 14:56.
Old 7th November 2019, 14:56   #109
r.K
BHPian

Would this analogy hold good for motorcycles too? Say I want to buy a Z900/Street Triple/GSX-S750. But I don't have the moolah now. I am thinking of buying an RE GT-650. Would it make sense to wait in this scenario?
Old 7th November 2019, 15:01   #110
Senior - BHPian

I would be extremely grateful if someone in NCR region could help me buy a excellent used Toyota Corolla/Camry petrol, automatic. Only requirement is less mileage, and at least 10 years of registration (NGT rule of 15 years applies). This is for when my 2007 Corolla's registration expires in March 22, and I may no longer be able to use it, even though it may have at least 70-80000 km of life.
Old 7th November 2019, 15:42   #111
BHPian

Completely agree. I drove my Swift Vdi for 9 years, skipped Hatchback group and bought a mini SUV - Brezza. Which again i am planning to run for 8-9 years (have to sell in 9th year because of Delhi Diesel ban ) before upgrading to a more premium car or segment.
Ashdel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2019, 15:48   #112
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.K View Post
Would this analogy hold good for motorcycles too? Say I want to buy a Z900/Street Triple/GSX-S750. But I don't have the moolah now. I am thinking of buying an RE GT-650. Would it make sense to wait in this scenario?
This thread is about spending a little higher initially to offset future replacement costs. Hence this definitely applies.

If you are sure that you will be opting for a more expensive motorcycle in the future, then you can definitely avoid opting for another expensive bike to avoid acute depreciation.

I am regretting buying the 2017 R15 because I am thinking of upgrading to an used Ninja 650 now.
Old 7th November 2019, 17:40   #113
BHPian

Spot on. I have done that all the time, makes absolute sense to be. Actually I am on the other side of the spectrum. I have always sold cars after they crossed 10 years mark, but a few years back, I wanted a Mercedes, and I wouldn't settle for any merc. I had to buy a E280 CDI and in my budget it was not possible to buy anything lesser than 6 years old, so I bought one, which had done a genuine 30K kms only. It is 11 years old now, and still runs like it was 5 years ago. Now it has done 78K kms, which is nothing for that car. Maintenance cost is as good as it gets for a merc, but I am not complaining. I will not get another one built like a real Merc anymore for sure, so I will hold on to it as long as I can. Make it a classic car? might as well, who knows.

Quote:
Off course it does. But you have a better opportunity. Buy Z900 or the likes for REGT650 money, now, may be a little more, barely used. Given the velocity at which these bikes fall in resale, you are a lucky man.

Last edited by Samurai : 7th November 2019 at 18:46. Reason: B2B
zulfi hansi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2019, 17:50   #114
BHPian

Totally agree!! I've been living with one car for the last 13 years. I brought her brand new in 2007. And boy she depreciated faster than she could accelerate. Much like those Alfaholics with their Alfa Romeos Guess what I never cared. I bought her because I loved it. Looks may be subjective but in this time, I could finish her loan, drive her where ever I went and what a joy it is to drive thinking that you owe nobody anything for enjoying it when she belongs, a winding stretch of road or a wide open highway 80000km and she still pulls and puts many new cars to shame. I don't think I need a new car. But I might need a mechanically perfect OHC VTEC just to give her the perfect companion. And the best thing is, I can afford it!

How a more expensive car can work out cheaper (if you hold onto it for longer)-20190709_232209.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 7th November 2019 at 19:08. Reason: Picture inserted in-line.
ron_9191 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 7th November 2019, 17:59   #115
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Would this analogy hold good for motorcycles too? S
Was about to confess. Got a Pulsar-180 instead of a Karizma. Got the Karizma later, but I got the P-180 as the review by Mr. ADJ at OD was so good [biased], it sold me the P-180 over the Karizma.

Got the FZ-25 instead of R3. I thought I won't ride much and got the FZ-25 but on all rides [except commutes] I miss a more powerful bike.

I am itching to get something in which I can tour and have fun on hills, so shouldn't have a long wheelbase or too much power.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2019, 18:04   #116
Senior - BHPian

My Indica is the absolute proof of this. It has cost me typically 30K a year in repairs. I must have paid the 1L I saved on a swift D several times over by now!
My 5 year old civic just needs a $35 = 2.5k INR Oil change to keep on moving! pity i have to sell it next year

Last edited by greenhorn : 7th November 2019 at 18:05.
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2019, 19:06   #117
Senior - BHPian

Amazing, Marvelous thread !

A classic example of how to not buy cars is my Swift VXi bought in month of July 2015. Its great little machine that wont need lot of server space for introduction. However, in 2015, despite my father's vehement insistence on getting car with ABS+Airbags, I bought Swift without one and without any loan. Its done 37.6K kms. as on date and only thing I miss is ABS+Airbags. Foolish me, I could have stretched myself and bought Swift ZXi for 1 lakh rupees more. But I opted to stay away from loan at that time. Fast forward, now I am tempted to get a Swift VXi that now has ABS+Airbags. With exchange and all, I have to get a loan of more than double what I had to go for back in 2015. Always buy as much safety features as you can.
Next, I have 2012 Innova which has done 76.8K kms. as of now. Am in dilemma if I should be selling off both cars and consolidate or stay with current set of machines. 10 year diesel rule is giving me sleepless nights, but other than that, I guess its perfect. Both my cars are EMI free, and thanks to this thread, I guess both will serve me long.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 7th November 2019 at 19:09.
Old 7th November 2019, 19:40   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo_coder View Post
Agree. I am currently without a car. My dilemma is -

1. Get a medium size car which is acceptable in both city driving and on highway. Duster AMT is my shortlist.

2. Buy horses for the courses. A big fat Hexa for the highway, and a tiny, cheap, decently safe automatic for the city (does it exist?).
Duster is such a underrated car. Suits very well if you are on a budget. Else Hexa, XUV autos all the way. If I were in your place I will settle with the Hexa or XUV. Tiny, cheap auto car for the city is your choice. I wouldn't pick one.
Old 7th November 2019, 19:55   #119
BHPian

Beautiful thread, GTO! Very nice. We got our Blushing Red Hyundai i10 1.1 D-Lite in March 2009, and sold him this summer. I still remember choosing this shade of red (there were two- the other being the flame red) and waiting anxiously to go back home after the summer holidays and receive Redd: we didn't give him a name for the ten long years he'd spent with us. I christened him Redd on the last he was with us. I didn't cry then, though. It was like a sort of formal business agreement that had come to an end. Like we both knew that our journey together on the highway of life ended right there- I've come to terms with myself on that regard atleast. Redd handled all the abuses thrown at him by various drivers over this seemingly short span of a decade and still managed an upbeat and serious grin at the end, right till the last day. I wish I can change all those days I could have taken him seriously but didn't, complaining about the wee little flaws. Man, do I miss you now! Wherever you are, I hope your new owners will show you the same love and affection you were once shown.
Here are a couple of pictures of him. One from a roadtrip, another from his last wash where you can see him "crying"- that pains me to this day- and finally, the last one I ever took of him. Goodbye, faithful.
Attached Thumbnails
How a more expensive car can work out cheaper (if you hold onto it for longer)-20191107_195057.jpg  

How a more expensive car can work out cheaper (if you hold onto it for longer)-20191107_195230.jpg  

How a more expensive car can work out cheaper (if you hold onto it for longer)-20191107_195001.jpg  

How a more expensive car can work out cheaper (if you hold onto it for longer)-img20191107wa0010.jpg  

TheHelix0202 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th November 2019, 20:33   #120
BHPian

A superb analysis. Proud that someone put it in figures finally.

My story in 2012

I used to drive the dad's handed down 2004 Indica DLS. Due to my low running and not so fun to drive vehicle started exploring the options. I had set my heart on the Brio though my head pointed towards the swift/ritz. By end of 2012, i was almost sure to book the Brio in March / April 2013. Come 2013 April, the GT tsi was launched. Raked up the differential amount and took the plunge in Oct 2013. It's 75k + today

And i have no intention of replacing it any time soon.

Last edited by 1.2TSI7DSG : 7th November 2019 at 20:36.
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed