Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2008, 11:57   #196
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh...I did not realize that most of you are not aware that the current crop of GPS come with compass, baromoeter, altmeter built in. And they allow you to save tracks so even if you are off road / areas without GPS data you can save your tracks and share it with some one you would Love to go there!
Old 2nd June 2008, 17:24   #197
BHPian

Please render more details on that one
Old 2nd June 2008, 21:06   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Oh...I did not realize that most of you are not aware that the current crop of GPS come with compass, baromoeter, altmeter built in. And they allow you to save tracks so even if you are off road / areas without GPS data you can save your tracks and share it with some one you would Love to go there!
Interesting. Can you elaborate more on the track saving feature? If it works well, thats a life saver when off-roading. Once when a group of us were off-roading near Igatpuri, we almost lost our way. It wont sound serious upon reading my post right now, but trust me....it can get pretty unnerving to not know where you are in the middle of nowhere.
Old 2nd June 2008, 21:15   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Please give the details. I read about Map My India navigator. How good are they
Old 4th June 2008, 20:52   #200
Distinguished - BHPian

I have used some of the garmin and magellan GPS they have tracking function. When you are driving the track gets logged and is also displayed on the screen. You can then save to use the track again after loading it. They also have feature "track back" that can be used to retrace your way back. The display shows the track and also the direction changes. The newer device link this with voice command so the GPS actually talks back to you when following track back or a loaded track.
Map my india etc are similar devices but I do not know if they log tracks. They however have preloaded street maps and can help you navigate.
Old 4th June 2008, 21:52   #201
BHPian

how to convert kml to gtr format, so that it can be used in Google navigator ?
Old 4th June 2008, 22:05   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
Have you tried GPSBabel: convert, upload, download data from GPS and Map programs
Old 4th June 2008, 22:07   #203
Senior - BHPian

Try GPS Visualizer, works very well
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
Old 9th June 2008, 20:56   #204
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
And what's more it is a open source program and free to download and / or share.
Old 29th June 2008, 21:57   #205
Senior - BHPian

My new car jack. Bought from metro for 400. Raised and lowered the car just under a minute.
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: Must-have Accessories for your new car-0629_190110.jpg  

ARTICLE: Must-have Accessories for your new car-0629_190255.jpg  

Old 30th June 2008, 02:23   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
My new car jack. Bought from metro for 400. Raised and lowered the car just under a minute.

hey i want one too, next time you go to metro get me one if possible i will pick it up this week end over the drive!
Old 30th June 2008, 11:54   #207
BHPian

Where do I get something like this in Bombay?
Old 17th September 2008, 08:26   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
It's not the question about brands.

Let's get this thing clear. Teflon or such products come as after-coat. In anticipation that car's shiny surface will be protected from rain, sun, bird droppings and what have you. But what happens when there are small scratches? Very light scratches means they're on protective coating. And there's no way you can remove them. A scratched painted surface can be repaired using rubbing compound/scratch remover and all. Touch up paint can be done also if need be. For Teflon (using this as a generic name here) coated painted body needs to go through a much more elaborate process.

In most part India, temperature goes up more than 35 degrees. Add to that a layer of dust and sand on the car all the time. Due to lack of time and negligence, cars are often cleaned with moist cloth and thereby nicely spreading and scratching a painted surface. In reality your paint is protected but you have fine swirl marks all over the surface. What is the point? Question can be asked as that happens on regular paint surface also. What about that? Answer to that is yes that happens. And it’s also easier to remove them through body treatment. 3M, as you mentioned offers fantastic body treatment process.

Teflon coated painted surface can also go through body treatment. But coating has to be removed completely to treat the body. Add re-applying Teflon coat to that exercise.

It’s common feeling in India that once you go through Teflon coating your paint is protected. Right and wrong.

These protective coatings work better in a cleaner environment. Where you have less dust, pollution and cooler climate.

Hi Rudra, I know that this is an older post, but had a question. what is difference when i get a 'polish' done, I noticed that a few scratches had disappeared and are those actually gone or are they hidden. My dad's car has a teflon coating, so what must he do to keep it from messing his paint? i mean the washing and cleaning tips. I've noticed a lot of dust on his car.
So if regular polish has a positive, safer effect on the paint then, is there a brand that you can suggest.
I'm sorry i didn't search for a thread on polish, if one existed.
Old 18th September 2008, 08:43   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnda View Post
Hi Rudra, I know that this is an older post, but had a question. what is difference when i get a 'polish' done, I noticed that a few scratches had disappeared and are those actually gone or are they hidden. My dad's car has a teflon coating, so what must he do to keep it from messing his paint? i mean the washing and cleaning tips. I've noticed a lot of dust on his car.
So if regular polish has a positive, safer effect on the paint then, is there a brand that you can suggest.
I'm sorry i didn't search for a thread on polish, if one existed.
Mods and Rudra,
After i posted this query i did a search and got my answers. Thanks. So its not nessary to reply this unless you think this info is worth adding to this thread.

Joe
Old 18th September 2008, 12:46   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnda View Post
Mods and Rudra,
After i posted this query i did a search and got my answers. Thanks. So its not nessary to reply this unless you think this info is worth adding to this thread.

Joe
May be you can put your findings here.
I did a teflon coating too, and then read this thread about not to have teflon coating.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks