Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2010, 07:44   #271
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
3M better than Garware, this is an open-ended statement. Both these brands have different categories of sunfilms and overall 3M is considered to be much better but if you compare 3M's RE Series with Garware's Articool series, the latter is better.

I would suggest that you get the sunfilm from a reputed aftermarket installer and refer to Sunfilm threads for the same. RE50 is a good and affordable option from 3M and Garware has Classic and NF to compete with 3M's counterpart mentioned. Both are equally good films, the choice is upto you and do check the Sunfilm thread for more options.
Thanks tsk13. The problem is that the dealer had shown me 4 shades from garware. It did not have any markings on them. Hence I didnt know what product code it had. I would need to consider these things before I ask him to install the sunfilm.

I would also like to know if installing sunfilm on the windshield of an i10 makes sense. The hyundai technical guys in the DSC showroom suggested that, since i10 has a beige interior installing sunfilm on the windshield would cut the reflection to a certain extent.

Is this right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
@mutantx - if you go for 14" - get 185/60R14. They are a perfect upgrade from 155/80R13 stock tires.
Yeap. I am in talks with the dealer to help me upgrade the tyres! I guess I would need to shell out 25k if I have swap the stock tyres and rims to alloys. I would need to work on the budget! need home minister's approval It is hard to comeby nowadays!
Old 16th June 2010, 07:49   #272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post

As for the stearing cover, can I have get the Hyundai stearing cover as it is in Asta model?

Thank you guys
The steering wheel, gear knob and the parking brake lever are leather wrapped at the factory stage itself in the Asta variant.....Procuring an asta steering will be an expensive affair and even if you get it, i am not sure if you can get it without the airbag.....your best bet will be to approach professional leather installers like Karlsson or Stanley and ask them to "machine stitch" the leather steering cover for you just like in the asta..........whats better, you will even have a wide choice of colour to choose from for the leather to be used........I plan to do the same for my car and have been told it would cost me 2k....have already procured the asta gearknob from Hyundai for 0.6k and its cool

Now coming to alloys + tyres.......14" is an ideal upsize and 185-60-R14 would be perfect.......but i have been told that some i10's have an issue with that size like mine......i had changed to 14" konig alloys on the very day i got the car and slapped on Yoko ES100 185-60-R14's on my car as i loved the way they looked in blackasta's car....But to my shock the tyres were fouling with the front wheel well upon trying a "lock to lock". My tire dealer then told me that it was an issue with some i10's, i found that quite funny and settled on 165-65-R14 Continentals(check my gallery for pics)....I thought mine was a one off case but then my cousin also had the same issue of 185-60-14's scrapping the wheel well of her brand new i10.

Soo whenever you plan to take the plunge towards 14" do make sure during installation itself that the tyres do not touch any part of the wheel-wells of the car.

cheers
Old 16th June 2010, 07:58   #273
BHPian

Quote:

I would also like to know if installing sunfilm on the windshield of an i10 makes sense. The hyundai technical guys in the DSC showroom suggested that, since i10 has a beige interior installing sunfilm on the windshield would cut the reflection to a certain extent.

Is this right?
Yes he is right IMHO! I installed Lumar AIR80 tints for the windshield for 8k from the Lumar authorised center here in Mumbai. It has really made a significant difference as the dashboard reflection was got really bad in the i10 especially during peak summer! It took a lot of getting used to while switching between my two cars as the SX4 has a greyish black dashboard top which reflects way lesser than the i10....But after the front windshield tint installation, the dashboard reflection and overall glare has come down significantly!

Last edited by prince85 : 16th June 2010 at 08:03.
Old 16th June 2010, 08:12   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince85 View Post
The steering wheel, gear knob and the parking brake lever are leather wrapped at the factory stage itself in the Asta variant.....Procuring an asta steering will be an expensive affair and even if you get it, i am not sure if you can get it without the airbag.....your best bet will be to approach professional leather installers like Karlsson or Stanley and ask them to "machine stitch" the leather steering cover for you just like in the asta..........whats better, you will even have a wide choice of colour to choose from for the leather to be used........I plan to do the same for my car and have been told it would cost me 2k....have already procured the asta gearknob from Hyundai for 0.6k and its cool
Dude, dude, duddy! doo!! how did u manage to get the asta gear knob? did you get it from Hyundai outlet or did you purchase it off the ebay?

I am not looking at converting the Sportz to Asta, The gear knob and the steering cover look soo beautiful on an Asta. That is the only reason why I want them on my Sportz. I have also seen metal strips on the pedals, kinda metal strips on brake, clutch and accelerators. Would it be possible to get such a fitment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince85

Now coming to alloys + tyres.......14" is an ideal upsize and 185-60-R14 would be perfect.......but i have been told that some i10's have an issue with that size like mine......i had changed to 14" konig alloys on the very day i got the car and slapped on Yoko ES100 185-60-R14's on my car as i loved the way they looked in blackasta's car....But to my shock the tyres were fouling with the front wheel well upon trying a "lock to lock". My tire dealer then told me that it was an issue with some i10's, i found that quite funny and settled on 165-65-R14 Continentals(check my gallery for pics)....I thought mine was a one off case but then my cousin also had the same issue of 185-60-14's scrapping the wheel well of her brand new i10.

Soo whenever you plan to take the plunge towards 14" do make sure during installation itself that the tyres do not touch any part of the wheel-wells of the car.

cheers
Thanks dude. I will take good care of it
Old 16th June 2010, 08:31   #275
BHPian

Quote:
Dude, dude, duddy! doo!! how did u manage to get the asta gear knob? did you get it from Hyundai outlet or did you purchase it off the ebay?
I got it from the accessories department of Jayabharat Hyundai, Mumbai from where i got my car. I had asked for the ASTA gearknob while taking delivery of the car....He ordered the part from Hyundai right away and delivered the part and the bodycover which i had asked for at my place within 15 days....I did the the installation by myself.

Note: You can try aftermarket gearknobs from MOMO as well...they have some really good ones.

Quote:
I am not looking at converting the Sportz to Asta, The gear knob and the steering cover look soo beautiful on an Asta. That is the only reason why I want them on my Sportz. I have also seen metal strips on the pedals, kinda metal strips on brake, clutch and accelerators. Would it be possible to get such a fitment?
Metal strips on pedals of the asta?? I guess you mean the sporty metal pedals right?? But i doubt if it comes stock in the ASTA!!! You can buy them from an aftermarket accessory store...they cost between 0.6-1k depending on the quality though there are some really expensive ones as well made by MOMO, Sparco etc

Last edited by prince85 : 16th June 2010 at 08:33.
Old 16th June 2010, 08:38   #276
BHPian

Quote:
I got it from the accessories department of Jayabharat Hyundai, Mumbai from where i got my car. I had asked for the ASTA gearknob while taking delivery of the car....He ordered the part from Hyundai right away and delivered the part and the bodycover which i had asked for at my place within 15 days....I did the the installation by myself.

Note: You can try aftermarket gearknobs from MOMO as well...they have some really good ones.
I am going to make the payment to the dealer today. I have told him to bring the car to the showroom so that I can inpect (pre-registeration) it before making the actual payment. I would bargain for the Asta gear knob. This would make the deal much sweeter!

Quote:
Metal strips on pedals of the asta?? I guess you mean the sporty metal pedals right?? But i doubt if it comes stock in the ASTA!!! You can buy them from an aftermarket accessory store...they cost between 0.6-1k depending on the quality though there are some really expensive ones as well made by MOMO, Sparco etc
Yea, I ment the Sporty metal pedals. I would venture out today and check out some MOMOs or Sparco! the problem here in chennai is that there are sooo many duplicates! copied stuff imported from china/malaysia! it is very difficult to trust auto dealers here for spare parts! Let me get hold of someone from tbhp to figure out where I can get really genuine stuff
Old 16th June 2010, 09:46   #277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
T
It is not due to an issue with i10. Its probably becasue of the type of Alloy you are using.
Too negative offset alloys can cause this problem.

Because 185/60/14" is the closest you can get to the Stock specs. Surely the issue is not with i10.
Old 16th June 2010, 18:45   #278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now coming to alloys + tyres.......14" is an ideal upsize and 185-60-R14 would be perfect.......but i have been told that some i10's have an issue with that size like mine......i had changed to 14" konig alloys on the very day i got the car and slapped on Yoko ES100 185-60-R14's on my car as i loved the way they looked in blackasta's car....But to my shock the tyres were fouling with the front wheel well upon trying a "lock to lock".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
It is not due to an issue with i10. Its probably becasue of the type of Alloy you are using.
Too negative offset alloys can cause this problem.

Because 185/60/14" is the closest you can get to the Stock specs. Surely the issue is not with i10.

Agree with Mi10 - I too guess that the issue was with alloys, and not the tires.
Old 16th June 2010, 19:16   #279
BHPian

Guys, good news! I stuck a deal with the dealer and told him that I would get the insurance myself. The dealer's insurance is 16k but instead I took TATA AIG for 10k. I saved 6k on that. My total OTR came upto 479k which i feel is a very good deal whatcha guys saying?
Old 16th June 2010, 23:20   #280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks tsk13. The problem is that the dealer had shown me 4 shades from garware. It did not have any markings on them. Hence I didnt know what product code it had. I would need to consider these things before I ask him to install the sunfilm.

Is this right?
It makes a lot of sense, mid-budget films like 3M RE50 (Black Tint) and Garware Ice Cool Shield (Green Tint) have heat rejection upto 43% and 50% respectively and 3M RE50 costs somewhere near 2k where as Garware costs about 3k.

I'm having 3M RE50 on the front windshield of my i20 and the films is able to reduce the glare to a larger extent. The dashboard reflection is still there but it's not interfering with my view.

Quote:
Guys, good news! I stuck a deal with the dealer and told him that I would get the insurance myself. The dealer's insurance is 16k but instead I took TATA AIG for 10k. I saved 6k on that. My total OTR came upto 479k which i feel is a very good deal whatcha guys saying?
Great deal there.

And for tyres, I'll suggest you stick to 13inches for a comfortable ride and if you wish to upgrade, go for wider tyres. For tyres, we've a dedicated thread for the i10.
Old 17th June 2010, 08:30   #281
BHPian

Quote:
It makes a lot of sense, mid-budget films like 3M RE50 (Black Tint) and Garware Ice Cool Shield (Green Tint) have heat rejection upto 43% and 50% respectively and 3M RE50 costs somewhere near 2k where as Garware costs about 3k.

I'm having 3M RE50 on the front windshield of my i20 and the films is able to reduce the glare to a larger extent. The dashboard reflection is still there but it's not interfering with my view.
Thanks mate. My i10 goes for registration today. The sales manager said he would have the sunfilm and hyundai auto lock fitted once the car is registered. So I would call him this evening and ask him to fit 3M RE50. The deal is that he would install the 3M sunfilm for the 4 windows, rear and windshield if I pay him 1k extra (which is I think is worth the deal). I had also enquired outside, the winshild along costs around 3k if I had chosen 3M and garware costs 2.5k. Let me see if the dealer sticks to his promise.

Quote:
Great deal there.

And for tyres, I'll suggest you stick to 13inches for a comfortable ride and if you wish to upgrade, go for wider tyres. For tyres, we've a dedicated thread for the i10.
Yeap dude. I would stick to the stock tyres for a while. Let me check the driving comfort. In my previous i10 (Era - iRDE) i used to get some sort of a squeaking noise when I ride on pot-holes and high dumps. I suspected it could be because of the thin tyres (or probably ageing suspension - or might need some oiling - ).

I just wanted to eliminate that and this is the only reason why I wanted to upgrade to 14inch soft-compound tyres.

Any thoughts on how to reduce this squeak? or anyone of you guys have experienced the same squeak while riding your i10 on bumps/deep potholes?
Old 17th June 2010, 23:37   #282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks mate. My i10 goes for registration today. The sales manager said he would have the sunfilm and hyundai auto lock fitted once the car is registered. So I would call him this evening and ask him to fit 3M RE50. The deal is that he would install the 3M sunfilm for the 4 windows, rear and windshield if I pay him 1k extra (which is I think is worth the deal). I had also enquired outside, the winshild along costs around 3k if I had chosen 3M and garware costs 2.5k. Let me see if the dealer sticks to his promise.
See its better to get the job done from a reputed accessories shop than the car dealer to get the best deal and to ensure that the film you've asked for is installed.

Quote:
Yeap dude. I would stick to the stock tyres for a while. Let me check the driving comfort. In my previous i10 (Era - iRDE) i used to get some sort of a squeaking noise when I ride on pot-holes and high dumps. I suspected it could be because of the thin tyres (or probably ageing suspension - or might need some oiling - ).

I just wanted to eliminate that and this is the only reason why I wanted to upgrade to 14inch soft-compound tyres.

Any thoughts on how to reduce this squeak? or anyone of you guys have experienced the same squeak while riding your i10 on bumps/deep potholes?
It won't be advisable to use the car with stock tyres for long as the buy-back rate will reduce with usage. Anyhow, 14 inch soft-compound tyres will make up for the ride-comfort but this may eventually harm the softwall.
Old 18th June 2010, 15:10   #283
BHPian

Thanks @tsk13 mate. Let me workout a deal for the tyres. What you are telling is right. Everything depends on the usage of the tyres!
Old 19th June 2010, 19:34   #284
Senior - BHPian

Hi.

How much you paid for remote locking?

Also did you ask for Asta Gear knob?
Old 19th June 2010, 19:57   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
Hi.

How much you paid for remote locking?

Also did you ask for Asta Gear knob?
Dude, remote lock was 3k. This is the Hyundai remote that I am using. I guess it is an Autocop original with Hyundai seal on it.

I did enquire about the Asta gear knob, steering cover and the handbrake leather wrap! these guys confirmed that I would need to place an other to get it. The sales guys are yet to get back to me on the cost & time to get these accessories!.

Mukesh any idea how to get these OE aftermath other than going through the dealer?

Most Viewed