Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2007, 16:34   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

ARTICLE: Must-have Accessories for your new car

With a plethora of accessory options available at dealerships (authorised and after-market), choosing the right add-ons can get confusing. Team-BHP enlists the “must-have” accessories for your new car.

Do keep in mind that car dealerships make a killing on their high-priced accessory fittings alone. We recommend buying most of your add-ons from the after-market. However, quality (of product and installation) is very crucial to some accessories, especially the electronic variety.

Interior Enhancement:

1. Mats: Floor mats and a Dicky mat.
2. Seat Covers: We recommend art leather for its value.
3. Audio System installation / upgrade: If required.
4. Air-freshener: Keeps the interiors smelling fresh. Scroll-type fresheners which fit on the air-con louvers are very popular and effective.

Safety / Security:

1. Remote-locking security system: Not only for the added security, but also for convenience.
2. Steering Grip lock / Gear Lock: Great way of theft prevention.
3. Headlight bulb upgrade: Only if stock bulbs are inadequate. Upgrade headlight bulbs to more powerful ones with the appropriate relay and wiring.
4. Mirror Lock: Some cars require this to prevent theft of standard wing mirrors.

Precautionary Measures:

1. Fire Extinguisher: Can save you and your car in the event of an electrical short-circuit etc.
2. Tyre / Puncture repair kit: A must for highway travelers.
3. Fog lights: They aid driving in foggy conditions, and provide a life-saving backup if the headlights malfunction.
4. Comprehensive Tool Kit: Standard tool kits are always minimalistic, so get one that is as comprehensive as a swiss army knife.
5. Extra fuses: For crucial parts such as the headlight, starter etc.

Tyres / Alloys

1. Tyre Upgrade: Some models of cars come severely under-tyred from the factory. We would highly recommend you to upgrade your tyres to a more appropriate size. You can do this straight from the showroom to get the best exchange price. Link :
2. Alloy Wheels: If the budget permits.

Others:

1. High quality cleaning cloth
2. Branded wax polish
3. Car Cover
4. Parking Sensors
5. Child Seat

NOTE:

• There may be some accessories which are car specific. For e.g. quarter glass security grilles in a Maruti 800.
• Team-BHP does NOT recommend Teflon coating for several reasons.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd March 2020 at 08:04. Reason: Removing sunfilm
GTO is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2007, 16:46   #2
Team-BHP Support

hows about underbody coating? Also the remote locking security system should be a proper security system.

Nowadays dealers make a fool by telling you to go for the so called security system which costs Rs.4500 but only has remote locking and a 2 sec alarm if you lock the door when the doors aren't properly closed.

The sensor security system comes for Rs.6500 hence people don opt for it.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2007, 20:20   #3
BHPian

a first aid kit ... i think it comes on hyundai cars!!!! but not sure about others
Old 3rd March 2007, 22:51   #4
Senior - BHPian

These days First aid kits r standard feature on all the cars donna know abt m800
Old 4th March 2007, 08:51   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

• Team-BHP does NOT recommend Teflon coating for several reasons.

Why is that. Are there not good brands in this.like 3m. Please throw some light on this. Sorry if a thread exist on this topic. Didn't search
Old 4th March 2007, 10:08   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobinjv View Post
Why is that. Are there not good brands in this.like 3m. Please throw some light on this. Sorry if a thread exist on this topic. Didn't search
It's not the question about brands.

Let's get this thing clear. Teflon or such products come as after-coat. In anticipation that car's shiny surface will be protected from rain, sun, bird droppings and what have you. But what happens when there are small scratches? Very light scratches means they're on protective coating. And there's no way you can remove them. A scratched painted surface can be repaired using rubbing compound/scratch remover and all. Touch up paint can be done also if need be. For Teflon (using this as a generic name here) coated painted body needs to go through a much more elaborate process.

In most part India, temperature goes up more than 35 degrees. Add to that a layer of dust and sand on the car all the time. Due to lack of time and negligence, cars are often cleaned with moist cloth and thereby nicely spreading and scratching a painted surface. In reality your paint is protected but you have fine swirl marks all over the surface. What is the point? Question can be asked as that happens on regular paint surface also. What about that? Answer to that is yes that happens. And it’s also easier to remove them through body treatment. 3M, as you mentioned offers fantastic body treatment process.

Teflon coated painted surface can also go through body treatment. But coating has to be removed completely to treat the body. Add re-applying Teflon coat to that exercise.

It’s common feeling in India that once you go through Teflon coating your paint is protected. Right and wrong.

These protective coatings work better in a cleaner environment. Where you have less dust, pollution and cooler climate.
Rudra Sen is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 4th March 2007, 12:54   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rranjith_kum View Post
a first aid kit ... i think it comes on hyundai cars!!!! but not sure about others
comes with the OHC also...all though im yet to open it and see whats inside !!
Old 4th March 2007, 20:27   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
3M, as you mentioned offers fantastic body treatment process.
Where they do that in bangalore? Sundaram?? they are a big no... any other place???
Old 4th March 2007, 22:34   #9
BHPian

This is a useful article.

Mobile charger also could be listed under 'others' section.

Liked the fact that *reverse horn* is nowhere mentioned. (Might be this one thing should be written in a must-not-have list )

Note on teflon coating is a very eye opening fact, thanks for that! Thanks to Rudra for the explaination.

I have a question - Do you suggest installing Hubcaps on wheels?
Old 4th March 2007, 23:09   #10
BHPian

I think another important accessory that can be added is the security film similar to the window film but also offering safety from thiefs trying to break in.
I am getting a Llumar Magnum 200NT security film installed. I was surprised when the distributor told me that no one comes asking for this film except for VIPs. Here in Hyderabad infact I was one of the handful to even ask about these. But due to being a low or non moving item they never procure it as most of the roll lies around after installation on one vehicle. Only in Jan this year has someone has been trained to install these films & even this they arent fully confident. So Im just waiting for their installer to come from Bombay to install this on my vehicle.

It isnt even very expensive. The windows & rear windscreen costing around 6500/- for my Fiesta.

I recommend everyone to get this. Get in touch with Mr. Nagpal of Ambica Auto Agencies (beside Solar Shade on Minister Road) if you want this installed in Hyderabad.
Old 4th March 2007, 23:19   #11
Senior - BHPian

@shyam...Wheelcovers(hubcaps) actually serve no real purpose other than the looks department..Nowdays all cars come with wheel covers and they look good..Downside is that they trap the heat from the brakes..etc.
Old 5th March 2007, 00:05   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

With the crime rate the way it is now, a personal safety device would also be a necessity for those who arent martial arts experts or for females. A revolver would have been ideal if it wasnt illegal/licensed. Pepper spray or a reasonable facsimile would be ideal in the meantime.
theMAG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2007, 00:36   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamhegde View Post
I have a question - Do you suggest installing Hubcaps on wheels?

Alloy wheels. Hub caps are better utilized as fancy dinner mats.
theMAG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2007, 15:04   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

I personally like the teflon coating,especially on dark colors, it really makes a difference atleast for the cosmetic look of the vehicle.

I made a comparison with my car with a same car of same color not having a teflon coat and the difference is painfully clear ( for the guy who hasn't done it)
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2007, 15:50   #15
Team-BHP Support

I would add a 5 liter can in case one does run out of petrol and a 2 litre bottle of water incase one has a slightly leaky radiator and needs to ferry water to it and jumper cables.

Last edited by navin : 5th March 2007 at 15:51.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed