Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2007, 20:25   #46
BHPian

I brought that dupont one. Its also on loft. Used only when gone away from home for long time.
Old 22nd May 2007, 13:09   #47
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
My recommendation would be "NO' as I had seen many had put those covers in their lofts. Practically its very difficult to put and remove the cover on daily basis. Might be useful for person who uses the car only during weekends.

Any one here out in our forum uses it on daily basis?
Yup, I use a car cover on a daily basis. For all 4 cars. But I dont put them on or take them off myself...that work is left to the drivers.
Old 22nd May 2007, 13:21   #48
Team-BHP Support

@GTO : That explains, why. Try doing the same on a regular basis, and one would get tired of it.
Old 22nd May 2007, 13:36   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Any one here out in our forum uses it on daily basis?
I know of quite a few people who do that. They have no covered parking & the cover is the only refuge.
Old 22nd May 2007, 13:55   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Yup, I use a car cover on a daily basis. For all 4 cars. But I dont put them on or take them off myself...that work is left to the drivers.
My lancer is covered for 5 days of the week, the driver opens her up and keeps her ready for the weekend.
The verna is parked under a tree and is covered all night, otherwise the birds make potty on her. After the driver drops me in the foyer, he parks, waits for 15 mins for the engine to cool and covers the car. at 6.30 in the morning, the guy uncovers, washes, waits for it to dry and re-covers it.
Then at 9.30 the driver uncovers it and waits in the foyer for me.

Without the car cover, we'd be sunk.
Sam Kapasi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2007, 14:37   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
My lancer is covered for 5 days of the week, the driver opens her up and keeps her ready for the weekend.
The verna is parked under a tree and is covered all night, otherwise the birds make potty on her. After the driver drops me in the foyer, he parks, waits for 15 mins for the engine to cool and covers the car. at 6.30 in the morning, the guy uncovers, washes, waits for it to dry and re-covers it.
Then at 9.30 the driver uncovers it and waits in the foyer for me.

Without the car cover, we'd be sunk.
One helluva lucky guy to have a driver who does these things so sincerely. i can picture that in my mind, just like military discipline. The staff car drops the general & the driver just goes through his routine. WOW !!!!

BTW, does the driver stay very close to your place ?
Old 22nd May 2007, 14:42   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
BTW, does the driver stay very close to your place ?
No he does not. But he has a 100cc bajaj motorcycle. He rides it over to my place and then rides it back home.
Old 23rd May 2007, 01:13   #53
BHPian

Does the cover leave scratches on vehicle ?
Old 23rd May 2007, 03:08   #54
Senior - BHPian

Same here, once I reach home the watchman at home covers my car after about 20-30 mins once the car has cooled down. In the morning before I leave he removes the cover & cleans the car.

Once I reach office the watchman there has the responsibility to cover the car once it's cooled down & then was it once again before it's time for me to leave office in the evening.

Though should clarify that this is not for bird potty because both spots are covered parkings but rather to avoid people/employees scratching the cars delibrately.
Old 23rd May 2007, 10:43   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinstein View Post
Hi,

Does anyone have any information on the Car Tracking solutions being offered in India, I heard of a company in New Delhi-which had managed to Trace a stolen Scorpio from Munirka,New Delhi to some parking lot..! Don't have the name for the company mentioned but the cost was around 9000 or so..! Any Idea on this ?

GSM tracker traces stolen cars
Posted that info in my post here, its a product called MicroVBB

Last edited by dadu : 23rd May 2007 at 10:44.
Old 23rd May 2007, 11:08   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Also the remote locking security system should be a proper security system.

Nowadays dealers make a fool by telling you to go for the so called security system which costs Rs.4500 but only has remote locking and a 2 sec alarm if you lock the door when the doors aren't properly closed.

The sensor security system comes for Rs.6500 hence people don opt for it.
Instead of these its better to go for a manual gear lock like the one Hyundai offers, it locks your gear in reverse and fits in neatly in hyundai cars(variants are there for others), it saved my brothers car from being stolen. Although it will not give you that blinking light/sound and open the doors for you but is very effective.
Old 23rd May 2007, 11:27   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Instead of these its better to go for a manual gear lock like the one Hyundai offers, it locks your gear in reverse and fits in neatly in hyundai cars(variants are there for others), it saved my brothers car from being stolen. Although it will not give you that blinking light/sound and open the doors for you but is very effective.

what about someone breaking the glass and stealing the ICE? the security system will then be useful.
Old 23rd May 2007, 11:31   #58
Senior - BHPian

Search and you will find that even with the alarm systems the ICE's get stolen but yes its definitely a deterrent. My focus is to protect the vehicle, accessories can be replaced and claimed from insurance.
Old 23rd May 2007, 11:39   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Search and you will find that even with the alarm systems the ICE's get stolen but yes its definitely a deterrent. My focus is to protect the vehicle, accessories can be replaced and claimed from insurance.
Yeah is someone has to steal a car he can steal it even if it has a security system with all sensors/gear lock/steering lock/security film.

But if you can deter the thief from entering the car itself then nothing like it. The systems with the impact sensors and sensors on all doors and windows is pretty good.

Besides if you have very expensive ICE then I wouldnt want to take a chance. Also remember that insurance will fetch you peanuts for ICE.
Old 23rd May 2007, 13:24   #60
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Besides if you have very expensive ICE then I wouldnt want to take a chance. Also remember that insurance will fetch you peanuts for ICE.
Not really. New India paid my about 35 grand for a ICE system which was bought for 50. Thats not too bad for an insurance payout.

Most Viewed