Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2020, 19:08   #76
BHPian

Re: "Almost-New" used cars! The logic & beauty of buying 1 - 3 year old pre-worshipped cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAND23 View Post
I had warranty covered. During my ownership, I replaced the defective steering rack assembly for free of cost.
Was this issue already known when you were purchasing it? I am wondering whether the previous owner thought this is a big issue hence decided to sell the car or were there other non vehicle related reasons for selling the car ?

As a starter, while purchasing a second hand item, I typically start with trying to ascertain the reason why the other person is selling it. Curious, how did you convince yourself that the car is genuinely good ?
viscosity is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 19:17   #77

Re: "Almost-New" used cars! The logic & beauty of buying 1 - 3 year old pre-worshipped cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroom_vroom View Post
Since I travel mostly once a year, the cost of renting out these self-drive cars comes lesser that the ownership cost of Jetta.
My recent experiences with the likes of Zoomcar and Mychoize haven't been great. Although they've come a long way in making the process of renting out these cars seamless, the cars themselves are poorly maintained. There has been a steady decline in the quality of cars in their stable specially in the last few years. So not sure if they're worth the risk, specially for long outstation trips.
Old 2nd November 2020, 19:22   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakmo View Post
Can someone from their experience provide information about the warranty coverage on sale of used cars. Sometimes I hear from people that manufacturer warranty is not transferrable to 2nd owner for some brands(similar to electronics item these days) OR there is some process/charges to do the same.

Not much info is available on this on internet from Indian auto perspective.
Warranty does get transferred to the 2nd owner. I bought a 2012 Civic in 2014 with 15,000 kms on the odo. 2 years of 2+2 warranty was left which got transferred to me. Later also went on to take year by year warranty till the 7th year and it was worth it.
Dippy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 19:40   #79
BHPian

Personally I think buying used (nearly new) luxury cars makes sense. The first owner takes the relatively big hit (from depreciation) when he sells it. Buying used luxury cars without warranty is a whole different story though. The used car prices (at least in Kerala) does not make sense for relatively new entry level or mid size cars as in most cases the first owners does not seem to understand the concept of depreciation.
Old 2nd November 2020, 20:43   #80

I always bought pre owned cars till date. I have enjoyed beauty of lateral upgrades and freedom of changing my cars in every 3 years. With my limited expertise in used car buying scenario I can say

Limitations in buying a pre-owned car

1. For buying a super hit volume seller car among masses, it is always advisable to buy new as depreciation will be minimal. Eg Innova Crysta , Toyota Fortuner , Swift etc

2. Getting a used car loan is not as easy as getting loan for a new car. Nowadays even though we can get used car loans for same interest rate, the procedure remains on a higher end. If the procedure is easy, you can expect interest rates to be higher.

3. The used car inspection should be really done thoroughly as there are chances of getting a low flooded car, car driven or taken to beach regularly, under body rubbed multiple times in potholes etc. I have seen my neighbor doctor always driving his car in 2nd gear and maximum in 3rd gear even on open highways revving and killing the engine unknowingly. He sells his cars in every 2 years with less than 30k kilometers on the odometer.

4. You may not get your desired color , wished fancy number and the wow factor of neighbors whilst buying a pre-owned car

5. Claiming depreciation benefits for business men will be easier as new car comes with a proper set of invoice and supporting documents unlike pre owned ones.

Advantages of buying a pre-owned car

1. Lateral upgrades are possible in every 2-3 years and satisfy the motor head inside you. If you get a pre-owned in 30 percent depreciation, you can easily sell it with minimal losses after using for 3 years.

2. You can own the niche and discontinued gem of cars currently unavailable in the market. Example Duster AWD , 3.2 Endeavour etc

3. Even if you get a lemon car, you can sell with moderate losses.

4. You may even get appreciation for a considered depreciating asset if you buy the real niche cars.

5. You can go for your desired set of tyres , necessary modifications from day 1 without heavy heart

And most interesting part is what I say is limited to my expertise of buying cars in Kerala where we can find a lot of used car buyers and depreciation is considered very less compared to Metro cities. Consider my opinions as area specific only.

This is my first post in our forum. Apologies for making un knowing mistakes
Jaguarpaw is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 21:58   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi58 View Post
IMO if the car is good and reliable no owner will sell it within 3 years of ownership.
Lots of reasons — sensible and otherwise — that are there for people selling cars quickly.

I bought mine from a person who was moving out of India. While this is one of the most genuine/sensible reasons I've seen, there are quite a few people who just have too much money and too little fiscal sense who sell off because there is some new gizmo/trend in the market (currently: people selling off hatchbacks to buy a C-SUV just for the status).

Last edited by Aditya : 3rd November 2020 at 19:38. Reason: Please avoid making any personal attacks on others
batladanny is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 22:08   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
In Bangalore, it does not make sense to buy 1 to 3 year old cars because the quoted price is still very high. I have never seen 30% to 40% lower price for 1 to 3 year old cars, either at an used car dealer or in classifieds. Eg: 2019 Maruti Brezza
Not sure if actual deals happen close to the quoted price though.
I completely agree with you. I was in the market for a car since July, 2020. I wanted to go for a new car at first, but, after going through TeamBHP threads extensively I, wanted to check out pre-owned cars.

I checked out OLX, Cars24 and Team BHP classifieds for good 3 months. Nowhere did I find , the depreciation of the cars to be 30 to 40% for <3 year old car. To my surprise, even the VAG cars were quoting 85% or above for a pre-owned one. I finally, bought home a Skoda Rapid Ambition for 10.92 Lakhs OTR (without insurance).

My guess was that, the pandemic has pushed up the demand for used cars in places like Bangalore, but then again I am not sure because Bangalore is notorious for some very illogical trends like 10 months advance for renting a house!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
was in near-pristine condition with a clean service history and the icing on the cake was that it was "doctor-owned"

Is this a running joke or do people actually, believe a doctor's car is a better proposition? I am not trying to troll. I genuinely want to understand the reason behind this reputation for doctors.

I ask this question, because my cousin is a doctor and the way he maintains his car makes me genuinely concerned for the car. His brother and I like cars, discuss them and take good care of them and we both wonder, why do doctors get this reputation.
Utham123 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 22:33   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utham123 View Post
I completely agree with you. I was in the market for a car since July, 2020. I wanted to go for a new car at first, but, after going through TeamBHP threads extensively I, wanted to check out pre-owned cars.

I checked out OLX, Cars24 and Team BHP classifieds for good 3 months. Nowhere did I find , the depreciation of the cars to be 30 to 40% for <3 year old car. To my surprise, even the VAG cars were quoting 85% or above for a pre-owned one. I finally, bought home a Skoda Rapid Ambition for 10.92 Lakhs OTR (without insurance).

My guess was that, the pandemic has pushed up the demand for used cars in places like Bangalore, but then again I am not sure because Bangalore is notorious for some very illogical trends like 10 months advance for renting a house!

Is this a running joke or do people actually, believe a doctor's car is a better proposition? I am not trying to troll. I genuinely want to understand the reason behind this reputation for doctors.

I ask this question, because my cousin is a doctor and the way he maintains his car makes me genuinely concerned for the car. His brother and I like cars, discuss them and take good care of them and we both wonder, why do doctors get this reputation.
I have always wondered about this too. Whats the deal with Doctors driven cars? its not that they would drive carefully as though they are performing an open heart surgery. I mean it would make more sense if someone says they bought the car from a car mechanic or a car nerd where there is a far higher chance of good maintenance.
Old 2nd November 2020, 22:37   #84
BHPian

Not sure about Mumbai,but here in Bangalore it doesn't make sense to buy a 3 year old car . Price quoted by the dealer is almost close to the original purchase price . Sad part is,you will find the same scene in all the dealer outlets. I have compared prices on Carwale,cardekho, and cartrade , and all of them have quoted more or less the same insane price for a 4 year old used i20 Asta diesel that had run for 8000 KMs.
Old 2nd November 2020, 22:44   #85
BHPian

Superb thread GTO. I completely agree with you as I have been practicing the same. I had bought a 2004 Esteem in 2007 and a 2015 IVTEC in 2017. I am more than happy as I got a great deal(around 35-40% less) in both the cars and they have served me very well. The major depreciation was borne by the first owner. I also wish to buy a almost new 320D . I was planning to buy my next car a brand new one in my company name to avail the depreciation benefits , but it's great to know GTO that we can avail the same benefit for the used car as well. Will certainly consult my CA regarding this. Thank you so much for posting such wonderful threads.
Old 2nd November 2020, 23:40   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autohead666 View Post
Not sure about Mumbai,but here in Bangalore it doesn't make sense to buy a 3 year old car . Price quoted by the dealer is almost close to the original purchase price . Sad part is,you will find the same scene in all the dealer outlets. I have compared prices on Carwale,cardekho, and cartrade , and all of them have quoted more or less the same insane price for a 4 year old used i20 Asta diesel that had run for 8000 KMs.

There was a thread about dealer mafia in Bangalore. All keep the price artificially inflated while selling and equally lowball when trying to buy from you ( and they share the contacts with one another) so no point bargaining or pitting one dealer vs another.

Last edited by SideView : 2nd November 2020 at 23:41.
Old 3rd November 2020, 07:14   #87
Senior - BHPian

Somehow this theory doesn't hold true in Bangalore where used cars prices seem artificially inflated. My parents were looking for a small city run about and most used cars were only slightly cheaper (30-70k) than the quoted of new car. (Without negotiation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adityagurjar View Post
I bought a 3 year old Jeep Compass Limited Diesel with just 25k kms on the odo for 12 lakhs.
You seem to have hit the jackpot. Enjoy it.
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 08:34   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguarpaw View Post
2. Getting a used car loan is not as easy as getting loan for a new car. Nowadays even though we can get used car loans for same interest rate, the procedure remains on a higher end. If the procedure is easy, you can expect interest rates to be higher.
Just who is offering used car loans at the same rate as a new car loan? Usually at least 2% more than a new car loan, and all sorts of restrictions on the car age and km in several banks.

Whenever I buy used cars I only spend what I am able to raise on my own (eg selling some shares or having a deposit mature). That restricts the kind of car / age of car I can get, but that's fine. Buying within 10 lakhs each time means I have the chance to get a 20+ lakh car that's around 4 years old.
Old 3rd November 2020, 10:24   #89

I have bought and driven four cars in India, 3 used ( pre worshipped ??) and 1 new and this is where I come from. There can be no generalisation when it comes to identifying cars for second-hand purchase, it all depends on the previous owner, period. Out of the three used cars I bought, two were directly from affluent owners owning multiple vehicles and I somehow got conned into buying one from a broker in Kolkata, which was my worst experience, although since it was a Maruti Swift, I still sold it off at a very small difference to what I bought it for. Now the new car that I have got is really not worth the price I paid for it, considering some same models I was able to identify while on the fence for it. All in all, avoid brokers, engage with the owners ( I think being well-spoken, knowledgeable and having ready cash/ funds and quick decision-making post thorough inspection can help, although I duly lacked most of those while negotiating). There are some really good deals that can be struck it the timing is right and one is willing and capable to wait while also employ some time.
Old 3rd November 2020, 10:29   #90
BHPian

A very Relevant thread in today’s time!

With car prices booming, pre-worshipped cars make much more sense. However, I do feel when it comes to budget cars finding the right car takes some research. As these don’t depreciate as much as the cars from the luxury segment, also people buy these cars for their daily commute mostly, so it’s very tough to search for a car in this segment that is well maintained and driven under 25k kms. Even if you do find such a car, the price asked by the seller would be quite unrealistic. From my personal experience I’m still searching for a well priced Brio AT

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks