Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2020, 15:33   #106
BHPian

Re: "Almost-New" used cars! The logic & beauty of buying 1 - 3 year old pre-worshipped cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2TR-FE View Post
I agree with this. Indeed, pre-owned cars that are 1-3 years old are a steal deal in most cases.

We have just bought a 2019 Vento TDI DSG Highline Plus which had 15k kilometres on odo for 11L. We could have bargained for more but the fear of losing the deal kept us latched.

The car is in awesome condition except the Vento and Polo specific warped discs complaint. Planning to skim the discs and replace pads soon.
Thats a great deal on your Vento TDI.Can you please elaborate the details of the Vento,which you have bought?

And some pictures of your Vento too.

BTW,we have the experience of buying 1 year old used car and 3 years old car.In 2013,we had bought a 10 month old VW Vento TDI,which had run 12500 Kms and the previous owner didn't get any service done yet at the time of purchase for Rs.9.5L when the car's on-road price was nearly Rs.12.5L at that time.We had this car for 4 years and sold it in early 2017 after doing 1,00,000 Kms in it.

Another purchase was a Honda City iDTEC,which was 2014 model and we bought it in 2017 when the odo was 35000 Kms for Rs.8L and the car's on-road price was nearly Rs.12.5L at that time.It is still running well and the odo is close to 1,00,000 Kms in which we had done nearly 65000 Kms in 3.5 years.
car_guy1998 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 15:39   #107
BHPian

Re: "Almost-New" used cars! The logic & beauty of buying 1 - 3 year old pre-worshipped cars

My Dad bought a 2018 honda Jazz V AT with ~5000 km on the ODO for ~7.5 lakhs in Chennai with insurance valid till Sep 2021.

Felt it was a pretty decent deal given the current Jazz AT is upwards of 9 lakh on road. We were only looking at used jazz or Baleno given the requirements of Auto + good interior space and wanted only post 2016 models which werent affected either by the 2015 Flood or the 2016 cyclone.

Only drawback was until 2018 Jazz had the auto only on the base V spec. VX and ZX came only in 2019 and hence missed out on the extra features. Not a dealbreaker though.
anandhsub is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 11:46   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_guy1998 View Post
Thats a great deal on your Vento TDI.Can you please elaborate the details of the Vento,which you have bought?

And some pictures of your Vento too.

BTW,we have the experience of buying 1 year old used car and 3 years old car.In 2013,we had bought a 10 month old VW Vento TDI,which had run 12500 Kms and the previous owner didn't get any service done yet at the time of purchase for Rs.9.5L when the car's on-road price was nearly Rs.12.5L at that time.We had this car for 4 years and sold it in early 2017 after doing 1,00,000 Kms in it.

Another purchase was a Honda City iDTEC,which was 2014 model and we bought it in 2017 when the odo was 35000 Kms for Rs.8L and the car's on-road price was nearly Rs.12.5L at that time.It is still running well and the odo is close to 1,00,000 Kms in which we had done nearly 65000 Kms in 3.5 years.
Our criteria was as follows:
1- We needed an automatic transmission with either torque convertor or DCT.
2- VAG group, Toyota, and Honda were the only brands to choose from.
3- Budget was 8-12L (Complete Down payment).
4- Fuel economy must be above 15 KMPL in city and above 20KMPL on highways respectively.
5- Like GTO, dad also prefers almost new cars even in used car market.

With the above criteria in mind, we started hunting in June 2020. After some homework, we concluded that Jetta and Vento were the only available cars for us in the market. Sadly, All the Jettas in our budget had clocked atleast 70k kms or were more than 5 years old. Bhpian Mj144 was selling his Jetta which was very close to our criteria. In my 21 years of life, I feel he is the only person who mentioned each and every con of the deal. May god bless such honest and trustworthy people. Finally, The relatively long waiting time for spares of Jetta made my dad move away from it.

Since June, We visited almost every dealer in HYD which had a Diesel Automatic Vento. But none of those vehicles satisfied my dad. By August, I had completely lost my patience. Feeling dejected, I was scrolling on OLX and it hit me that I must keep search location as Telengana instead of Hyderabad. The moment I changed my location, there came a Vento from a place near Karimnagar which ticked all boxes. Contacted the owner and visited his place the next day itself. It was love at first sight.

The timeline is as follows:
28th August: First visit to check out vehicle. Got it tested at VW Karimnagar. Offered 11L. Returned to HYD as owner had another prospective buyer in line.
31st August: Seller was ready for 11L. Transferred booking amount to his account.
2nd September: Seller applied for loan closing process.
17th September: We visited his place and cleared the loan. Transferred the remaining amount to sellers account and took the vehicle back to HYD.

All the transfer work took about a month's time.
As of now, RC card hasn't been printed. Agent claims there's a shortage of cards at RTA Khairatabad. No idea what to do. Experts, Please guide me.

Although we spent about 15k INR in visits to Karimnagar and around, we got what we wanted.
All thanks to my friends Sohail and Jeevan (Bhpian Mj144), they assisted me with every step of my purchase process.
Attached Thumbnails
"Almost-New" used cars! The logic & beauty of buying 1 - 3 year old pre-worshipped cars-img_20201116_194324.jpg  

2TR-FE is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 10:50   #109
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicor View Post
I am in hunt of used Innova Crysta (anywhere in MP).

Can someone suggest where to find these "depreciated almost new" used cars?
You need to be patient in searching for such "depreciated almost new" Cars. My dad recently purchased July 2018, 12500Km done Ecosport S for 9.65L. If he was to purchase a brand new Ecosport S diesel, he would have been set back by 14L.
07CR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 11:04   #110
BHPian

In the last 10 years, I have benefitted by buying two used cars that were less than a year old. First was a Fiesta SXi with less than 3000 kms on the Odo in 2001 and then in 2006 an Ecosport with less than 4000 kms on the Odo and both vehicles were less than a year old

The had extended warranty and never faced any issues with the Fiesta or the Ecosport.

One has to be patient and be on the lookout for these vehicles. Also you may not find them that easily if its fast selling models, in my case the Ecosport was AT and hence very few takers. However its been a great buy, mileage has not been less than 11 or 12 in city and 15 to 16 in highways. Also one of the most safest cars to drive on the highways.

So do your research looks for cars that aren't popular and you will definitely find them.
Chillout is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 11:22   #111
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillout View Post
In the last 10 years, I have benefitted by buying two used cars that were less than a year old. First was a Fiesta SXi with less than 3000 kms on the Odo in 2001 and then in 2006 an Ecosport with less than 4000 kms on the Odo and both vehicles were less than a year old
Fiesta in 2001 and EcoSport in 2006 , to the best of my knowledge, Fiesta came in 2004 and EcoSport in 2012. Something grossly wrong with the dates you have.
Old 24th November 2020, 11:53   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
Fiesta in 2001 and EcoSport in 2006 , to the best of my knowledge, Fiesta came in 2004 and EcoSport in 2012. Something grossly wrong with the dates you have.
He also mentioned 'in the last 10 years'. I guess it's 2011 for Fiesta and 2016 for Ecosport.
creative420 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 16:21   #113
BHPian

Hello BHPians,

Need your expert advice as I'm in a quandary here. We're looking for a car for my wife, who's learning to drive, and are planning to keep the car for 4-5 years max. We were looking for pre-owned automatic cars, under 5 lakhs, and decided a Celerio. However we've decided to look at Ignis as it's a better car for those occasional long distance rides, though we have an Ecosport 1.5D. We're getting a deal of 5.8 lakhs on a 10k ran, April 2019 Ignis, Delta AMT, BS4. The car has 5 years of extended warranty, and 1 year of TrueValue warranty on engine and GB post that. The new BS6 Ignis Delta AMT costs close to 7.1 lakhs with all discounts applied.

Does it make sense to buy the new Ignis or buy the BS4 "almost" new Ignis?

Your inputs would be highly appreciated here.

Cheers!
Old 24th November 2020, 23:48   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GandalfTheGrey View Post
Hello BHPians,

Need your expert advice as I'm in a quandary here. We're looking for a car for my wife, who's learning to drive, and are planning to keep the car for 4-5 years max. We were looking for pre-owned automatic cars, under 5 lakhs, and decided a Celerio. However we've decided to look at Ignis as it's a better car for those occasional long distance rides, though we have an Ecosport 1.5D. We're getting a deal of 5.8 lakhs on a 10k ran, April 2019 Ignis, Delta AMT, BS4. The car has 5 years of extended warranty, and 1 year of TrueValue warranty on engine and GB post that. The new BS6 Ignis Delta AMT costs close to 7.1 lakhs with all discounts applied.

Does it make sense to buy the new Ignis or buy the BS4 "almost" new Ignis?

Your inputs would be highly appreciated here.

Cheers!
I would gladly pick that up. Do you know why the previous owner sold it within 1 year and 10K Km.
Are you in Chennai, I see a similar Ignis listed at 6.3L in true value site. If 5.8L is OTR, then it is a fair price.

Actually I am in the market too for similar car for my wife, was zeroing in on Santro Amt new at 5.8L Otr after all discounts.
Ananthang is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 09:37   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ananthang View Post
I would gladly pick that up. Do you know why the previous owner sold it within 1 year and 10K Km.
Are you in Chennai, I see a similar Ignis listed at 6.3L in true value site. If 5.8L is OTR, then it is a fair price.

Actually I am in the market too for similar car for my wife, was zeroing in on Santro Amt new at 5.8L Otr after all discounts.
Thank you for your reply! Oh yeah, even we've finalized picking it up.

Quote:
Yes I'm in Chennai, and yes, it's the Ignis listed in TV that I'm talking about. We've bargained from 6.3lL to 5.8L OTR. Actually there are two very similar Ignis in TV Selaiyur, both BS4 and 2019 models, one has 10k on ODO and other has 15k on ODA. We're planning to pick the 10k ran one.

Quote:
That's a very sweet deal! Assuming you're talking about Magna variant, the price I saw online was close to 6.5 lakh, so discounts north of 50K are really sweet.

Cheers!
Old 12th January 2021, 15:04   #116
BHPian

I came across a Nissan Terrano XV AMT 110HP. Car was manufactured in 11/2017 and registered in 05/2018. The car has done 23000 km.

I validated the service history from the Nissan service center.

I negotiated to a price of 8.6L in Hyderabad.

Does this look like a good deal?
Old 27th July 2021, 00:34   #117
BHPian

I've come across a Jeep Compass 2018 model with about 50+k on the odo.
The car is out of warranty.

Impeccable condition. Test drove it and found no immediately identifiable issues. Is completely dealership maintained - with a full service history available.

Not sure if I should go ahead with it and keep fingers crossed for the clutch burnout and high pressure fuel pump issue a SA has highlighted - not specific to this car - but Compass in general. The repair costs for both is 70k (incl. the flywheel) and 1.2 lacs respectively.

PS: First experience buying used. So, kinda shaky legs :-) Inputs appreciated.
adneeraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2021, 00:10   #118
BHPian

How about high end used cars like Porsche / Maserati etc ?

I have seen too many people buying them and getting stuck with expensive repairs.

Some advice on that please.
Old 16th November 2021, 15:10   #119
BHPian

I'm buying a 2020 registered car and as a thumb rule it has 1 year comprehensive and 2 year third party insurance.

How does this 1 year Comprehensive and 2 year third party insurance works. Do I need to renew at the end of 1 year or renew at end of 3rd year. I'm bothered about having a third party insurance for 2nd and 3rd year.

Since it's new car I would like to have maximum coverage like zero-depreciation and other add-ons. Please clarify.
Old 16th November 2021, 15:29   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritz2010 View Post
How does this 1 year Comprehensive and 2 year third party insurance works. Do I need to renew at the end of 1 year or renew at end of 3rd year. I'm bothered about having a third party insurance for 2nd and 3rd year.

Since it's new car I would like to have maximum coverage like zero-depreciation and other add-ons. Please clarify.
In the insurance all of the items are billed seperately. So you can renew just the comprehensive, zero-dep, engine cover etc. Since you already have third party coverage, no need to renew that.
Learner is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed