Team-BHP - ARTICLE: How to buy a *NEW* car in India
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   On buying a car (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying-car/)
-   -   ARTICLE: How to buy a *NEW* car in India (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying-car/29513-article-how-buy-new-car-india-10.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by happybuddha (Post 2933838)

@suhaas307 : What cars ? Do you have any names ? Since the Figo is readily available, I think I can wait till the end. November 2nd week is when the D(rather, the B ) day is. I was always sold on the Tata Safari when I was relatively younger. Family loved it too. But its too big a monster for Hyderabad roads. On other thoughts, thats what everyone said when I bought my bullet long ago. She still rules the roads :)

Well, there is the Etios Liva. It may be bare bones basic, but it's got its fundamentals and basics bang-on. That said, 7 lakhs OTR is not great value for money when compared to the Figo. There is also the Chevrolet Sail that's slated for launch early November. And crucially, it addresses some of the Figo's inherit problems like the stiffer ride, older engine and ground-clearance. Sure, the Ford is certainly going to be more VFM what with all the kit that it comes with. But it shouldn't be long before the Sail's official-review is out and that would allow you to make an informed decision. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by happybuddha (Post 2933838)

@Vikram.vns : Thank you so much sir. I really appreciate your gestures.
Do you think the Figo has a rear view camera thing to it ? Since I have never owned/driven a car in India, I have to ask, are the auto dimming rear view mirrors a common thing ? Is in car GPS available in Indian models ? These are some of the things that make me go 'wow' who thought of that. :)

Cheers,

There is no Rear view camera in the Figo, neither is the in car GPS or auto dimming rear view mirrors. We get manual dimming though ;)

PS: The GPS can be bought as an aftermarket accessory easily, and parking sensors are easy to find and install too. But if you insist and are willing to spend, you can get a 2 DIN entertainment system with a large LCD display to solve the GPS + rear view camera features you are looking for.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 588800)
Thanks Mithun, I do hope it helps out newbies / 1st time car buyers too.

However, I am dead sure that even car experts / enthusiasts would do well to reference with such an article. Things like NCB, out-of-state cars, buying at the wrong time of the year, extended warranties etc. can seem obvious but are only too easy to overlook.

I am five years late seeing this as I am buying a Honda City in Pune now and have paid the booking amount to the dealer. By the Tax calculator on the Maharashtra Transport Department web site (link below) for a ex showroom price of 857000 the RTO tax given is 60000/-. However the dealer has quoted 77000/-. There is a further Handling charge of 6742/-.
http://www.mahatranscom.in/tax_calculation.aspx
I have paid 25000/- as booking charges for the car. However how do I know whether these added charges (Registration and Handling) are valid? The car is not expected before the first week of November.
Can you advise what I should do? I have sent mails to the Pune RTO and the grievance section of the Transport department already.

Quote:

Originally Posted by frequentflyer (Post 2942749)
I am five years late seeing this as I am buying a Honda City in Pune now and have paid the booking amount to the dealer.
=========Can you advise what I should do? I have sent mails to the Pune RTO and the grievance section of the Transport department already.

I need the information too. i am taking delivery tomorrow and there is a mis-match between dealer stated RTO charges and website stated RTO charges. I will be insisting on all the original receipts from RTO totalling to the amount stated by the dealer but any other pointers would truly help.

Thanks in advance.

The taxes were raised to 9% in May and the web site is not updated!!

I need some advice on the documentation for buying a new car. I have already booked a Red Polo 1.2 HTP, and the VW dealer has told me that since they don't have a car ready for delivery a new "allocation order" has to be put through to Volkswagen. Therefore, I can take delivery of the car only after 45 days or so. He also couldn't commit an exact date but said it will take a "minimum" of 45 days.

All this is fine. But having filled up the booking form and the VW Finance papers, I've only got a slip of paper that has the VW dealership seal on the photocopy of my cheque (booking). He couldn't give a proper receipt as the "printer was out of ink" in the accounts department.

My query is that when I book a car am I not supposed to get a counter document that confirms the exact model of the car I want and other details? What documents is typically provided by the dealer to the customer on the date of booking? Is the rest of the documentation released only when the loan is actually processed by the bank?

After you go to pay an advance a 'contract' is usually signed with the dealer specifying the price, the model, the delivery date and so on. That is the procedure I followed earlier this month in Pune. I paid by credit card so the question of realisation of the cheque does not arise. If one puts one's point forcefully and lays down a date by which you need the car failing which you would not buy it at all, the dealer will usually try to accommodate you and get it for you earlier. This is a buyer's market. Demand and you will get it.

quite an informational and eye opener......I'm sure most of the buyers dont have this level of awarenes and end up losing thousnads of rupees, sub-standard services and sometimes, a used vehicle at the price of a new :(

I just did a quick check on the recent quotes I have received for my next car that Im planning, and surprised to that I will lose around 75k if I go blindfolded (like I did with my earlier buys)! bigger problem is, dealers are not ready to accept customer's terms like buying insurance from outside and only paying 16% LTT instead of 19% etc........tried with an alternate dealer....even worst experience. Want to cehck with GTO and other senior folks here, is there any wayout?

I am buying the Ritz ZDi via company lease from Mandovi Motors, Blore.

Here is the proforma invoice.

ARTICLE: How to buy a *NEW* car in India-ritz-zdi.jpg

1. Can anyone please clarify the Road Tax amount of Rs. 1,01,795/- mentioned in the invoice?

As per Karnataka RTO, on page 3, Part A5 mentions that the Lifetime tax (LTT) appl. is 14% of the cost of the car.

As per the invoice, 14% of the cost of the car (incl. VAT) will come to Rs. 91,705/-.

Has there been an increase in the road tax amount or is the dealer overcharging me?

2. I also asked the dealer on Incidental charges and was told, this is for handling charges - transporting the car from the factory to the showroom, PDI costs, etc. While i agree with the former, PDI cost is utter nonsense since they need to do this anyway before delivering the car.

Any thoughts?

Quote:

Originally Posted by n_aditya (Post 3040436)
2. I also asked the dealer on Incidental charges and was told, this is for handling charges - transporting the car from the factory to the showroom, PDI costs, etc. While i agree with the former, PDI cost is utter nonsense since they need to do this anyway before delivering the car.

Why?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...rges-scam.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by bblost (Post 3040441)

I verified this handling charge thingy by calling the Maruti Helpine Toll Free # and they affirmed.

Also, checked with the dealer and it appears that the RTO/regn. cost comes to 15.54% so the amount mentioned in the invoice is correct.

Hi

Inflated registration costs are part of the dealer rip-offs. Some part of it goes as bribes to the RTO, but the dealer pockets a major part. I have had the same issue whilst buying a new car and had confronted the dealer, who claimed that these are bribe expenses & incidental expenses for registering the car

You should also look at buying your own insurance, where there is a potential to save 50% of insurance costs. Please read my recent experiences scouting for new car insurance

BUY YOUR OWN INSURANCE FOR NEW CAR AND SAVE AROUND 50% ON INSURANCE PREMIUM

I am in the market for purchase of a new vehicle, and I would like to share my experience of How Car Dealers are ripping off buyers with their inflated vehicle insurance rates.

I received a quote from a Chennai based dealer for purchase of XUV 500, W8 2WD Model. The Ex-Showroom price of this model is Rs 1339911, and the insurance cost [comprehensive] according to the dealer is Rs 52968.

I did some online shopping to compare rates, and for the same vehicle model [XUV 500, W8 2WD] with a marginally lower Ex-Showroom price of Rs 1322720, I received an insurance estimate [comprehensive but flexible] of Rs 27264 from one of the leading private insurance company.

By shopping & buying my own insurance, I can save upwards of Rs 25000. I wanted to highlight this and create awareness amongst potential car buyers that there are potential savings, should you decide to buy insurance on your own

Suggestions / feedback and experiences of other members in this forum, especially in purchasing insurance outside the dealers’ preferred insurance and the dealer response to purchase of our own insurance would be welcomed

Regards

KRISHNAN

Visited whitefield honda as I am planning a new petrol automatic. The price of city VAT is 995,275 ex showroom (non metallic color) and 1001,276 ex showroom (metallic color).
Since bangalore road tax slab changes at 10lacs, the RTO+handling is 164166 and 198441 respectively.

I asked them about paying 35,000 extra as taxes while paying 6000 more for my choice of color. They informed me that they will give a discount of Rs 15000 on the ex-showroom price and this will push the price below 10 lacs and I don't have to pay road tax in the higher slab.

Is this true? I was under impression that while calculating road tax, listed price by OEM will be taken in to consideration.

Sorry if this is a basic finance question, but I've seen folks mentioning 'full cash payment' during negotiation on a few threads. In what way does the dealer benefit if the buyer doesn't opt for financing? I was under the impression that the invoice is raised only after bank releases the loan amount? Planning to buy a car soon and i'm not planning to go for a loan. How much negotiation leverage do i have?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flying Djinn (Post 3127660)
Sorry if this is a basic finance question, but I've seen folks mentioning 'full cash payment' during negotiation on a few threads. In what way does the dealer benefit if the buyer doesn't opt for financing? I was under the impression that the invoice is raised only after bank releases the loan amount? Planning to buy a car soon and i'm not planning to go for a loan. How much negotiation leverage do i have?

Dealer is not at all bothered about full payment or loan. He will delver the vehicle only after money reaches them. It's an old negotiation trick, will not work nowadays.