Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2016, 21:06   #241
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *NEW* car in India

An informative video on how to get an upper hand when dealing with dealer, the video is for Australian audience but many of the points discussed are relevant to us Indians as well.

Quoting the relevant text from the video description.
Quote:
The Top 20 ways to beat a car dealer

Buying a new car from a car dealership is awful. Getting that new car should be a pleasant experience, but it’s not. The deck is stacked against you, and your opponent (the car salesman) is match fit. That car salesman is not on your side. The dealership is not ‘helping you’. The dealership's mission is to extract your cash - as much of it as possible. Car salesmen have a playbook full of tricks and traps. They do it every day. This video - and these 20 tips for beating the dealer - is the cure.

1. Shop at the end of the month
2. Buy a car in stock
3. Pitch a low offer
4. Abrogate the limit
5. Walk away
6. Sell your used car & get independent finance
7. The dealership is a vending machine
8. Any time a car dealer talks, it’s probably bullshit
9. Time pressure is definitely bullshit
10. There’s plenty of profit in the deal
11. Normal conversational rules and etiquette don’t apply
12. Don’t answer questions - ask them
13. Don’t cave in to emotional pressure
14. Dealer delivery is a scam
15. Don’t queue up
16. Scare tactics (protection)
17. Accessories
18. Extended warranties
19. Branded insurance
20. Use a broker - that’s where I come in.
born_free is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2016, 15:49   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
When you keep a vehicle for 5++ years - ideally 10 years like you kept your existing vehicle - the difference between just the previous and the next year's models is not much in terms of the sale price.

You get decent initial discounts by buying a 2016 car this late in the year, but just check the car's VIN to make sure its not been sitting around several months in the dealer's stockyards else it will be used as a demo car, tow vehicle, personal ride for the staffers etc before it is slightly spruced up and sold to you.

Unless the upcoming 2017 version has any feature that you particularly want, it won't make any difference - especially if there is just cosmetic facelifts here and there.
Thank you so much for the sound advice hserus.
Old 27th December 2016, 20:47   #243

I'm planning to buy a new Skoda Octavia -

1) Should I buy now, or should wait till Jan to get the MFY17
2) If I buy MFY16 with MY17 features, is it possible to get any discount?

3) Planning for a Ambition plus petrol AT -

please suggest.
Old 28th December 2016, 19:54   #244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorthyms View Post
I'm planning to buy a new Skoda Octavia -

1) Should I buy now, or should wait till Jan to get the MFY17
2) If I buy MFY16 with MY17 features, is it possible to get any discount?

3) Planning for a Ambition plus petrol AT -

please suggest.
See my points made in the post above this & ask yourself how long you will keep the car, and whether there is any feature in the 2017 model that justifies your waiting to get it.

If not go for 2016 model + recent month of manufacture + substantial dealer discounts.
hserus is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2017, 22:01   #245
BHPian

Hello,

I am planning to buy a new car after selling my Rapid Ambition 2012 Petrol.

The criteria for new car are:
1) Automatic / AMT
2) Price: Below 10 Lakh
3) No VW / Skoda.....
4) Safety package mandatory

Please recommend me some options.

Thank you.....
Old 15th March 2017, 08:59   #246
BHPian

Hello everyone,
I've booked a Honda City V-MT with a Chennai dealer and will be exchanging my WagonR upon delivery. My concern is that the RM has asked me to hand over the My WagonR's RC book (original) and copy of insurance paper right away as they have evaluated the car price for this month. My new car is supposed to arrive by mid of next month and I can continue to use my Wagon R till they deliver the new car. The reason is that he needs to provide the documents to Honda. Not sure how far this is true. Is this is the right process? Should I hand over my RC book to the dealer in this scenario? I thought I should be retaining the RC book and hand it over only at the time actual transfer. The dealer also said he will give it in writing that he has collected my RC book and insurance paper

I searched Team-BHP but couldn't get a specific response for this issue. Any advice in this regard is appreciated.
Old 15th March 2017, 15:30   #247
Senior - BHPian

Don't. Let them appraise the car whenever they take delivery of it and calculate a lower or a higher price depending.

Meanwhile put the car on olx and see if you get a better price in any case.

Keep your car papers with you till the car is in your possession.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Content Reactor View Post
Hello everyone,
I've booked a Honda City V-MT with a Chennai dealer and will be exchanging my WagonR upon delivery. My concern is that the RM has asked me to hand over the My WagonR's RC book (original) and copy of insurance paper right away as they have evaluated the car price for this month. My new car is supposed to arrive by mid of next month and I can continue to use my Wagon R till they deliver the new car. The reason is that he needs to provide the documents to Honda. Not sure how far this is true. Is this is the right process? Should I hand over my RC book to the dealer in this scenario? I thought I should be retaining the RC book and hand it over only at the time actual transfer. The dealer also said he will give it in writing that he has collected my RC book and insurance paper

I searched Team-BHP but couldn't get a specific response for this issue. Any advice in this regard is appreciated.
hserus is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2017, 20:12   #248
BHPian

Thanks a lot hserus! Practically, every dealer said the same thing but I was hesitant. I didnt want them to lower the price later on so was a little worried. But then giving the papers were risky.rochy I will put it on OLX as you suggested.
Old 1st April 2017, 11:29   #249
BHPian

I had booked a Honda City VMT last month and they had given me an estimated arrival date of March 28. I followed up with the sales person regularly. When it came March 28 he said there's a delay and that the car will arrive only by April 4. He also said that I should pay the whole amount before April 1 to avoid price hike. Another dealer had told me that the price hike takes effect from April 6 as thats when they get the new prices. As mine was coming earlier, I had told the salesperson to inform me on April 4 itself and I will come to inspect the car and pay the full amount the same day if I am fine with the car. I followed up this morning and he says he alloted the car to another person who paid the whole amount. Is there anything I can do in this instance? I called hia team leader and he said he will check the salesperson but that he may have done that to close year end deals. He said he will check and get back. Should I have paid the full amount without seeing the car? Any advice or suggestion is appreciated.
Old 1st April 2017, 14:42   #250
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
.......Is there anything I can do in this instance?....
If you were given the VIN of your allotted car, you could try escalating to Honda. You are unlikely to get much traction at dealer level.

Quote:
Should I have paid the full amount without seeing the car? Any advice or suggestion is appreciated.
Absolutely not! The correct procedure is the pay a booking amount, do a thorough PDI and if satisfied, pay up and register the car in your name.

Why would you want to pay a million+ rupees for something you haven't even seen yet? Given the absolutely lack of consumer protection in this country, what would you do if the car is transit-damaged, a lemon, or has obvious issues that make you want to back off?

This may cause a minor delay, esp. with popular models where there are plenty of people willing to pay upfront, but you're better off being circumspect.
Old 3rd April 2017, 07:48   #251
BHPian

No, they didn't share the VIN number. Most people are even surprised about the need to inspect a vehicle. Anyways, I sent an email to Honda team that sent me a welcome email in which they mention they allot vehicles on a first come basis. I added the media relations person as well as I don't have any other Honda contacts.
Old 4th April 2017, 17:01   #252
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
No, they didn't share the VIN number. Most people are even surprised about the need to inspect a vehicle.....
Did any of your communication at dealer-level happen in writing (emails, texts, WhatsApp etc.)? If not, escalating won't help much as it will just turn into their word against yours.

For future reference, please insist all important communication be put in writing. VIN#, dispatch information, financials (deals offered, if any). That way, you actually have information to escalate with, if needed.

Don't hand over money, your old car or any ORIGINAL documents before you see the car and are OK to proceed. If the dealer is adamant you have to play by his rules and Honda doesn't intervene, you're better off taking your business to another dealer, if available in your location.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 4th April 2017 at 17:02.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2017, 23:14   #253
BHPian

Yes, I do have an email communication. I actually called the sales head and he said the dealership needs to pay the full amount when the car is dispatched from Honda. "By the time it reaches Chennai, the price will increase - who will pay for the balance amount?" he asked. Apparently, someone in queue paid in full so they allotted the car to them. According to an Autoportal contact, all dealer offers apply to that specific month. So what applies in March may not apply in April. I was offered freebies in March that are unlikely to be passed on the subsequent month. So I've actually asked another SA to share availability and take a booking for the earliest delivery. They are yet to confirm pricing and related offers.
Old 10th June 2017, 15:24   #254
BHPian

I have a query regarding the booking process:

I am in the process of booking a Polo TSi with VW Bangalore (Elite Motors) dealer on Hosur road.

1) I requested the dealer to remove the illegal delivery & logistic charges of Rs.8700, but he said it is a standard fee charged by all VW dealers. However, Palace Cross & Apple auto gave me different quotes. When I complained to VW customer care about this, they simply forwarded the query back to the dealer. Fine whatever, I got tired and decided to pay this illegal fee.

2) I asked the dealer to provide me with a proforma invoice with the break-up of prices, and clearly mention the promised delivery date on this document.

--> Today morning, the sales advisor told me that he had emailed me the break-up, but I did not receive any of his emails.

--> I spoke to the CRM head over the phone and he assured me that it will be taken care of.

--> Now, the sales advisor tells me that proforma invoice can only be generated and given directly to the bank for loan processing. Since my loan is already approved, he apparently CANNOT provide me with a proforma invoice.

Is this practice normal? Am being paranoid or is something really fishy going on?

Last edited by ashwin489 : 10th June 2017 at 15:36.
Old 11th August 2017, 12:18   #255

Advice on buying a New Car in India

A big Hi to all fellow BHP-ians !

I need advice on buying a new car in the range of 10-12 Lakhs (OTR not to exceed 12 L). Besides safety and comfort in driving , Fuel economy is also a factor ,though not a very big one . I already own a Honda City (2011 model) .
I understand that the Honda City 2017 is a BIG improvement over what i own , but i would now prefer some other brand . My 10 yr old daughter has demanded that the next car should be a SUV with a sunroof !!! , I did some research and unfortunately none of the SUV or Cross overs in my budget would have one! . Can i please have some suggestions while i try to convince my daughter to adjust without a sunroof , Otherwise I might just end up with another City...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks