Team-BHP - ARTICLE: How to buy a *NEW* car in India
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   On buying a car (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying-car/)
-   -   ARTICLE: How to buy a *NEW* car in India (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying-car/29513-article-how-buy-new-car-india-19.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhaskar.guru (Post 4391851)
Hi all,

I am planning to upgrade my car. But I am not sure which one to take as the thing is that in the hatchback space, Petrol cars are not that appealing and in the Diesel space, we do have some good options but with the BS-VI regulations that are going to launch in a year or two....

...Does that mean all these engines would be rendered non-compliant and we shouldn't be using them?

A combination of things will likely happen:

1. All new cars after a certain date will launch with BS-VI compliant engines, with some sort of roll-off timeline set for older standards.
2. Fuel availability will gradually move towards the BS-VI standard.
3. Some cities may impose restrictions around the pollution standards to be met for vehicles allowed in their jurisdiction (this is already happening globally).

To answer your specific concern, any diesel car bought today shouldn't be impacted significantly for the next 4-5 years while the transition to BS-VI standard happens gradually, and it should still be possible to maintain it for a similar period afterwards with some effort but it will get progressively difficult.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao (Post 4392576)
To answer your specific concern, any diesel car bought today shouldn't be impacted significantly for the next 4-5 years while the transition to BS-VI standard happens gradually, and it should still be possible to maintain it for a similar period afterwards with some effort but it will get progressively difficult.

Thank you Chetan, it seems I'd be better off buying a petrol than a diesel one.

Hi team, I have booked a Verna petrol SX on 16th evening. The deal includes exchanging my old Micra with them.

Here is the story. During booking process, I have made the booking amount through cheque. I have told the SA that I will hand over my old car as down payment on 28th of this month as I have some work. But, they need to share the VIN with me before that. Once the car landed at their yard, I will do a PDI and release rest of the money immediately. SA was asking some more down payment during old car hand over, but I sticked to my part.

Today, SA gets back to me and told that, dealership is asking some more amount as down payment, after the car is allocated and VIN is shared and before handing over my old car. I strictly said to stick to the discussion we had during booking. He said, he will get back after checking with his sales lead.

Am I getting a bit rigid here? How much down payment should I make after they share the VIN with me? I cannot hand over my old car to them before 28th. So, if I want them to allot car to me before that, is it normal for making some down payment?

N.B: there is no car loan process involved here as I am arranging my personal finance. Dealership will get money directly from me.

when the car is allotted by the manufacturer and engine chassis number is provided to the dealer, how long does it take the vehicle to arrive at the dealer stockyard after that. I am told it is within 7 days after allotment. Is this generally true?

Hi All,

Looking for some serious advice as I am tasked with booking a car on behalf of my uncle in another town. Need is a 7 seater luxury SUV. Did lot of research and together zeroed in on Merc GLS 350Dbgrand edition. However, both dealerships in Bangalore did respond swiftly initially but stating weekend staff unavailability things did not move forward as expected. In fact, one of them wants 5L booking advance to give me a quote (orally given so far but nothing in writing). Other one is promising to send but not much action. Kind of disappointed with their attitude, visited Audi - and to their credit the sales guy did everything to convince my uncle on Q7. I liked it, great car and worthy competition to GLS. I also got a quote from them. But heart still lies in GLS which both dealers are either not willing to sell or throwing weight around to understand genuinity of buyer considering the price tag for the car.
Any views or help is appreciated.

@Mods: if this needs a separate thread pls help spin, or am happy to continue on this thread.

Hi all, I was able to find a PDF for PDI in another thread. But I think it is pretty dated, maybe from 2005. Is there an updated PDI file somewhere?

Apologies for messaging at the odd hour.

The situation is I'm about to take the delivery of a new VW car today and the dealership is saying that the RTO had changed some rules and due to that they still haven't got my car registered. They want me to take the delivery on their trade certificate as a temporary registration withing Delhi for a car which will be registered in Delhi is not possible. Need your inputs if the dealership is saying the truth and should I take the delivery or not?

Revert on urgent basis.

Thanks in advance.

Utter nonsense. They want to close their books for the year / quarter with this sale completed and so are giving excuses.

Now they will tell you the car will cost more in 2020

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperSuri (Post 4716941)
Apologies for messaging at the odd hour.

The situation is I'm about to take the delivery of a new VW car today and the dealership is saying that the RTO had changed some rules and due to that they still haven't got my car registered. They want me to take the delivery on their trade certificate as a temporary registration withing Delhi for a car which will be registered in Delhi is not possible. Need your inputs if the dealership is saying the truth and should I take the delivery or not?

Revert on urgent basis.

Thanks in advance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperSuri (Post 4716941)

When I bought my Aspire, due to some server issues, my car could not be registered on the day of delivery. We took the delivery and the car got registered in next week. I just made sure that the car was driven inside Delhi and we didn't face any issues.

Thanks for the revert hserus & MrBeast, I've checked with a friend who works for some other dealership and updated me that the RTO portals are fine and running. They are registering their cars online only. Now I'm in a dilemma whether to take the delivery or not as I've already sold and delivered my i20. Because with a vehicle running on Trade-certificate, if involved in a mishap or theft, the insurance is not valid. In case cops catch you, the fines are too high. My heart is pushing me to take the delivery but my mind is stopping me from doing the same.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperSuri (Post 4716990)
I've checked with a friend who works for some other dealership and updated me that the RTO portals are fine and running.

Will suggest you to shoot an e-mail to VW India and a CC to this dealership. Seek an explanation.

In case they don't budge, then try a new dealership. Please do update us here.

Thank You.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheel (Post 4717015)
Will suggest you to shoot an e-mail to VW India and a CC to this dealership. Seek an explanation.

In case they don't budge, then try a new dealership. Please do update us here.

Thank You.

I've already paid the complete down payment to the dealership. The car has been billed and insurance also issued for the car. Told the SA to get it sorted asap as I won't take the delivery without the number. Giving him time till tomorrow as everything else apart from this issue has been good and the experience with his way of dealing with things have been great. Will send the email to VW after tomorrow. Will keep the proceedings posted here.

Hi All,

Is it normal for dealers to ask for full payment even before it lands up in their stock yard?

Here is my experience with a Nexa dealer in Bangalore. I booked a Maruti XL6 Zeta Manual on Feb 1st by paying Rs.11000. I was told that the delivery of the car would take anywhere from four to six weeks. During booking, I was told that there will be an email confirming the allotment of the car with the VIN from MSIL directly. On Feb 10th, I got an email from the dealership saying my car had been allotted and I had to pay the full amount within 7 days of that email, failing which the booking would be considered null and void. I did not get any notification from Maruti whasover. I got to know directly from Maruti that the car itself was expected in their stock yard (not the dealer's stockyard on Feb 11th or 12th). I asked the dealer to give me the VIN so that I could verify that it was indeed a 2020 model but was refused saying I had to make the full payment before I got the VIN. Thanks to these forums, I became aware that I could ask for a PDI as soon as the dealer got the car in their stock yard before I made the payment.

Now the tricky part is this. The dealer is insisting that I have to make the payment first, they will then transfer the payment to Maruti and only after that they will get the car dispatched to their stock yard am I am telling them I can't pay unless I have done a PDI at their stock yard. My point is that how can I pay somebody for a product when they don't even own it. So I am stuck on this stalemate and am not sure how to get out of it.

Appreciate any advice or pointers to resolve this issue. Thanks in advance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by advant (Post 4757340)
Is it normal for dealers to ask for full payment even before it lands up in their stock yard?

Quote:

Originally Posted by advant (Post 4757340)
....I got the VIN.

In summary, I made 15% payment after registration was done a month back.

When I purchased my car mid-Dec, the variant & colour choice was not available in the dealer inventory. They had to order it from the manufacturer.
I paid ~45% amount before they placed the order with company. I was communicated allocation, (VIN & Engine No) and requested to go for PDI as I had insisted on one. Paid another 40% after PDI at the dealer yard. And 15% after registration before delivery of the car.

For my previous car, 10 years ago, I had to pay 100% before registration.

I think dealer was bit accomodative about the balance 15%. Normally they will insist full payment before registration.

But I think dealer is pushing you for full payment to tie you in. I would be very cautious and probably even explore other dealers.

Hey guys,

This is going to be very helpful for anyone who is looking at buying a new car in india. This video will help you decide what car to buy. It doesn't matter whether you're looking for a hatchback, sedan, SUV or a luxury car, you'll be able to take the most sensible decision!

https://youtu.be/2wSGQsad1is