Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2007, 14:03   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Brilliant suggestion backseatdriver. If new to driving, buy a cheap used 800 or something. As they say, "haath saaf kar le". Once you are comfortable with driving (controls, road conditions, other factors) put your money down for a brand new car.
Old 12th December 2007, 17:04   #17

Extremely useful!

I just have a few more questions. What is the standard procedure & sequence of the entire sale? I mean, when & how much should we pay the booking amount, what should be finalized during booking, and after booking when should we pay the remaining amount (before or after registration) etc.

Though dealer is going to explain about these, it is better to know the standard procedure before itself.

Thanks much!
Old 12th December 2007, 17:28   #18
BHPian

Quote:
when & how much should we pay the booking amount, what should be finalized during booking, and after booking when should we pay the remaining amount (before or after registration) etc.
The booking amount really varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. Some may accept a part / small payment, while others require a full payment.

At the time of booking, take all commitments on paper. Variant, colour etc. of the car. Verbal promises have zero value in the real world. Might also be a good idea to have him put the approximate delivery date on paper, since there are some malpractices taking place for cars that have a waiting period (e.g. Swift diesel).

But in all circumstances, the full payment must be made before RTO registration of your car.
GTO - Touring is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th December 2007, 17:36   #19
Senior - BHPian

GTO brilliant thought process.you have covered it all from the customer point of view.this is sure to help all out there to decide on the right set of wheels for themselves.backseatdriver got a point to discuss too.
ram
Old 13th December 2007, 13:02   #20

this will be really helpful for neone goin to buy a new car...thanks for all the details as I am also plannin to buy a new car and keep a check of all the items in the list....
Old 14th December 2007, 10:39   #21
BHPian

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Step Three : Sealing the Deal

• Extended warranties: Extended coverage for your new car is always a good idea. Even the most reliable cars have occasional defects and parts for modern cars can be tremendously expensive to replace. Click HERE for the Team-BHP guide to extended warranties.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Step Four : Post-delivery

• Upsizing tyres: If you want to install better tyres on your car for safety or performance reasons, do so as soon as possible. Drive straight into a reliable tyre shop to buy performance tyres and get the best possible exchange price for your unused standard tyres. Click HERE to view the Team-BHP article on tyre upsizes.
GTO,
What I have seen is, the moment i say, 'I want to upsize', dealer says 'No warranty applicable'. From his point of view, he says, any changes to the original specification, invalidates the warranty.

But then again, I do remember reading in this forum, that unless other wise proved, that the tire upsize caused 'a' particular problem, the dealer is bound to cover it under the warranty.

My question is it worth the trouble? Would I have to haggle with the dealer if something does go wrong with the new vehicle and he says you changed the original spec, so it is not covered under warranty?
Spinnerr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2007, 16:40   #22
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What I have seen is, the moment i say, 'I want to upsize', dealer says 'No warranty applicable'. From his point of view, he says, any changes to the original specification, invalidates the warranty.
Hmmmm, always a tricky situation. Yes, as long as its proven that the wider rubber had no effect on the part failure (potential?), there should not be a problem. Most service stations are pretty cool about it, and I havent had a problem with the warranty on any of my tyre-upsized cars. That said, it is definitely a grey area. If you must stick by the rules, dont upsize. Just go for better quality rubber in the same size.

+1 upsize is the safest, while balloon tyres almost guarantee no warranty work on your suspension .
Old 14th December 2007, 23:29   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyforspeed View Post
this will be really helpful for neone goin to buy a new car...thanks for all the details as I am also plannin to buy a new car and keep a check of all the items in the list....
Also keep in mind (from a commuter/regular user's perspective), a popular, well selling car, almost always guarantees peace of mind, which is most important in the years you spend with your car.
Old 12th June 2008, 10:10   #24
BHPian

When negotiating price for new car, what are all discounts I should look for? Few I am aware of are seasonal discount, corporate discount, exchange bonus, loyalty etc. I have also something like finance discount, but I really don't understand it. Can someone post list of all possible discount I should be looking for?
Old 20th August 2008, 12:16   #25
Senior - BHPian

Good excel sheet for car buyers

Hi, I am uploading a nice excel sheet for prospective car buyers. I got this in email and hope it is useful for team-bhp members too.

Please find the attachment: CAR.XLS

Mods: I made same post in thread Pricing and other car buying help If it is inappropriate please delete from other thread. It seems this thread is proper place to post such information.

Thanks
Old 21st August 2008, 11:00   #26
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

great initiative anuj
it might need a couple of updates as per my observation - eg: Scorpio VLX/VLS - engine size/ specs etc etc

Im sure if it is kept/ maintained regularly like a "live update sheet" it can become a definitive car buyers guide / ready reckoner encompassing most of the commonly sought details!
Well done!
Old 28th October 2008, 13:43   #27
BHPian

Hello

I am living in Noida NCR region. Planning to buy a new car by the end of this year.
I see there is quite a difference in price of Delhi and Noida.

Can I buy from Delhi dealer instead of Noida?

I have Noida address proof only and purchase would be in all cash.

What are the modalities involved?

I need some expert/experienced advice on this.

Regards
Akhil

Note from TBHP mod team: Please wait for mod team to approve post before creating back to back posts

Last edited by Jaggu : 28th October 2008 at 14:26.
Old 28th October 2008, 20:52   #28
BHPian

Cowboy, please search within the forum archive. I distinctly remember a thread on the Delhi - Noida pricing query.
Old 28th October 2008, 21:04   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy45 View Post
I am living in Noida NCR region. Planning to buy a new car by the end of this year.
I see there is quite a difference in price of Delhi and Noida.

Can I buy from Delhi dealer instead of Noida?

I have Noida address proof only and purchase would be in all cash.

What are the modalities involved?

I need some expert/experienced advice on this.

Regards
Akhil
Akhil, let me answer your questions in order:

1. Yes, there is. Depending on whether you are buying Petrol or Diesel & whether the registration is in an Individual name or under a Company name.

Taxes are (UP) Petrol 2.5% (Individual) 5% (Company)
Diesel 5% (Company or Individual)

Delhi 4% flat, all cars.

So if you do buy a Petrol car & register it under an Individual name, you'll save about 1.5% of the car's ex-showroom value.

2. Yes, you can. But you won't stand to benefit unless you can register the car in Delhi.

3. Then you can only register in Noida not in Delhi.

The ex-showroom prices also differ but that is a minuscule amount. Usually a thousand or two here or there.

Unless, you have a Delhi address proof, you cannot register your car in Delhi.
Old 9th December 2008, 20:38   #30
BHPian

Guys, I ahve a doubt reg. corporate discount, Who is paying this to customer ? Dealer or Manufacturer.

Let me tell the context also,
I am going to book a Swift Lxi and now sales guy is telling he cant give Corp disc as promised earlier since they are giving me a heavy discount(15K cash + 10 K worth accessories).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks