Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car

Old 17th October 2021, 15:06   #346

Default Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *NEW* car in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
Need guidance here. I am newbie when it comes to buying car and we are planning to get Tata Punch soon and will be paying booking may be next weekend. I was going to take everything from the Dealership but I see mention of insurance from 3rd party.

Can anyone direct me if I should have insurance before car is taken from dealer's hand? Also where should I shop for insurance and what all to consider when choosing one? What all information will be asked by insurance company?
Insurance is mandatory before car hits the road. So once you have the registration number you should purchase it immediately. Choices that you have to buy insurance:
1) Online portals like Policybazaar, etc.
2) TATA AIG since you are buying Tata Punch

When you will try to buy through online portals chances are you will not be provided quotes from TATA AIG but from other insurers like United, HDFC, etc.

In case you want a quote from TATA, write an email to their customer care or visit nearest branch. You will get a direct quote which will be much lower than dealership quote. At best dealership will only be able to match the direct quote from TATA AIG.

I prefer government insurers as they have a higher rate of settlement. But maybe it makes sense to buy from TATA AIG to avoid hassles at dealership end, which theoretically should not be there even if you buy any insurance.

Lastly, Zero Dep + Return to invoice should be there for new vehicle. Add consumables and engine protection as needed.
nitin_vish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 23:49   #347
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Can anyone tell me if the discounts offered on new car (cash discount, exchange bonus, corporate offer etc) are applicable at time of booking or invoicing? I booked S-presso on 31 Oct 2021 and dealer told me there is 25K cash discount (15K+ 10K) and 3K corporate discount. But he also told me discounts are what is applicable at time of invoicing which means if car gets invoiced in November 2021, whatever offer is there is applicable and so on.

Now I am confused because when manufacture gives ads in newspapers saying "Diwali Offer" but the car is going to be invoiced after a month or more, it seems like a bait and switch for the buyer.

Can anyone enlighten me?
Old 6th November 2021, 09:56   #348
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Additional question continuing from above post. The Maruti dealer near my home where I have booked my car Is telling me he will give 15K worth of accessories for free. It is verbal commitment and nothing on paper. Can I ask him to instead reduce 15K and give me that or little less as cash discount? I don't think he will as they have fat margins in accessories and their accesories are definitely priced high.
Old 9th November 2021, 10:43   #349
BHPian

Posting this twice, once in the NCB thread (Mods please delete the post which is irrelevant)

If we are buying a new car insurance from outside then do we put the date of registration as the day we are buying the policy? Asking this because if I am buying the policy today for a car which is getting registered in 2 days won't there be a difference?
Or do we wait for the registration to happen and buy the insurance on delivery so that the registration date is correct?
Old 9th November 2021, 11:15   #350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
Posting this twice, once in the NCB thread (Mods please delete the post which is irrelevant)

If we are buying a new car insurance from outside then do we put the date of registration as the day we are buying the policy? Asking this because if I am buying the policy today for a car which is getting registered in 2 days won't there be a difference?
Or do we wait for the registration to happen and buy the insurance on delivery so that the registration date is correct?
I don't think you will be able to register the car without a valid and active insurance, as it is one of the prerequisite document for registration. I would suggest you discuss with the representative who is selling you the insurance. The start date of insurance cover does not need to be same as date of registration.
red_nemesis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 11:28   #351
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_nemesis View Post
I don't think you will be able to register the car without a valid and active insurance, as it is one of the prerequisite document for registration. I would suggest you discuss with the representative who is selling you the insurance. The start date of insurance cover does not need to be same as date of registration.
So in essence I can purchase the policy (am doing it online myself) from today as thats what it allows for putting the date of registration. Even though car gets registered in a day or two
Old 9th November 2021, 11:35   #352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
So in essence I can purchase the policy (am doing it online myself) from today as thats what it allows for putting the date of registration. Even though car gets registered in a day or two
Yes. For my new car, the policy start date is 30th July, while the car got registered on 12th August (Both done by dealer). Still I would suggest you ask for a callback from whatever portal you are buying from. Most of these online portals have chatbots, and response time is also pretty fast.
red_nemesis is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed