Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2022, 15:47   #361
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *NEW* car in India

I tried searching this thread for a similar query - but was unsuccessful. (I haven't read all the 24+ pages yet. So, sorry if I am repeating a previous query.)

To book a car with Maruti Nexa, which is a better idea:-
  • E-Booking via the Nexa website
  • Direct booking with the Dealer

It seems logical to me that with an E-Booking I would be able to track the status more easily.

However, both the Nexa Dealers I have been negotiating with have so far tried to dissuade me from the E-Booking option!

So, I am wondering, if I disregard the Dealer's 'opinion' in the matter - and go ahead with an E-Booking via the Nexa website - of course, choosing the same dealer in that online process - would/ could that somehow antagonise the dealer/ RM in any way.

That is not a situation I want - since I have been working both these Dealers pretty hard, and slowly getting them to offer me much higher discounts/ bonuses than they originally agreed to!
Old 21st March 2022, 17:33   #362
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaditto View Post

That is not a situation I want - since I have been working both these Dealers pretty hard, and slowly getting them to offer me much higher discounts/ bonuses than they originally agreed to!
This is the main reason to stick to the dealer over the online booking option where MSIL will control the discount offered.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2022, 11:17   #363

Hello Everyone,

Does anyone know Jeep Compass Limited edition 2022 comes with TPMS or not? Dealer is clueless about it. This is mentioned in their website under specifications. However I do not believe their website specification, since it was full of errors till last week. I did multiple follow ups with customer care about it and they corrected most of it, but now they are showing TPMS in the Limited variant.
Old 23rd March 2022, 09:18   #364

I got a call from Jeep India confirming that TPMS will be part of all 2022 variants. Dealer also confirmed that they got the notification, however they are not confident to commit. They are waiting for the car to arrive for physical validation. Car will be reaching in couple of days. It is Feb manufactured one, I will update after that.
Old 23rd March 2022, 14:11   #365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Step Two : The Test Drive
  • Everything in writing: It’s common practice with car dealerships to promise the world (discounts, free accessories, etc.) but not deliver on closing day. Make certain that every commitment made by the dealer is written down and signed on their letter-head.

A total discount/ bonus/ payback = 70K has been 'informally' committed by the RM (see attachment 1) -

Then, after quite a bit of goading, I have received a "Pro Forma Invoice" (see attachment 2) - on the Dealer's Letterhead (via WA) - which lists out 45k of the promised discounts/ payback - leaving out the old car value = 20K & additional discount = 5K ~ promised by the RM

The RM is saying that they cannot show the old-car exchange price on the pro forma - pointing out that there is no printed 'column' to show the same on the Dealer's invoice sheet. Similar story regarding the additional 5k discount promised.

The informal offer (attachment 1) was sent to me by the RM assigned by Nexa in the confirmation message - received when the booking amount was processed - and it was from the same mobile number mentioned in Nexa's message for my designated RM.

So, this omission on the pro forma - i.e. the 20K + 5K - could that become an issue at the point of actual payment?

Also, I will most probably NOT TAKE the Accessories Pack (9K+) listed in the same pro forma invoice - I might even decide to hold back on the Extd Warrantee (16K+) &/ Insurance (will want a 0-Depreciation one) - at the point of invoicing.

Will that antagonise them (I guess it will!) - but more importantly, in that case, could they create problems about the promised discounts?
If so, how should I counter that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
You pay a token/booking amount, vehicle gets allotted, you do a PDI once it lands in the dealership's possession, if satisfied with the vehicle pay up and proceed to registration & delivery.
Does the vehicle actually get ALLOTTED to me, at the point of PDI? Even if I have NOT made the payment yet?!
I was under the impression that the vehicle gets allotted ONLY once the INVOICING is completed - which would also mean I have made the full payment.

What am I missing?

Quote:
Once you've completed a PDI and are satisfied with the allotted car, you can release full payment and proceed with invoicing, which is the step where you become the owner of the car. The dealer has nothing to gain by delaying things at this point, since you're now the owner on record. The dealer will then initiate registration with RTO.
That's where I am getting confused!
As you yourself have mentioned,
Quote:
... release full payment and proceed with invoicing, which is the step where you become the owner of the car.
So, how does the car get ALLOTTED to me, even BEFORE I "become the owner"?

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

Sorry, if these are really naive questions - I know how to drive/ maintain/ repair cars - but I have NEVER bought a car before!
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
This is the main reason to stick to the dealer over the online booking option where MSIL will control the discount offered.
So, are you saying that with an online booking the dealer will REFUSE to/ not be ABLE to provide the discounts they are promising, since NEXA will intercede - while with a direct booking, NEXA will not have that control?

I am finding that a little odd.

The Dealer is NOT giving me any additional OEM Discount - they are giving me just the 15K that NEXA promises.
The extra discounts/ bonuses they are offering, seem to be within NEXA limits (Exchange Bonus 25K etc) / beyond NEXA's reach (20K for old car etc).

Also, the REDUCED booking amount that the Dealer offered - 5K, instead of NEXA stipulated 11K - was obviously LOGGED into NEXA's network too, since I received confirmation text from NEXA.

So, to me it seems like what NEXA controls, they WILL control - irrespective of the booking procedure. While the additional things will, similarly, be controlled by the Dealer, in any case.

My only beef with making the booking through the Dealer, instead of the NEXA e-Booking method, is that it takes away my ability to track the status of my booking.
I am assuming that with an e-booking I shall have real-time access to the status?!

Please do correct me if I am assuming wrongly!

--- Thanks, in advance!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Vishal - Verbal DISCOUNTS list - Nexa Durgapur.pdf (152.8 KB, 112 views)
File Type: pdf PRO FORMA INVOICE - Nexa Durgapur.pdf (327.5 KB, 294 views)

Last edited by Aaditto : 23rd March 2022 at 14:13. Reason: Forgot to add the referred attachments
Old 23rd March 2022, 14:32   #366
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
...What am I missing?...
The car technically gets invoiced twice: first from manufacturer to dealer (when they obtain inventory), then from dealer to end customer (when you buy the car).

When you book a car, you either get a specimen allotted to your booking from the dealer's ready stock if they already have the model/variant/color in their inventory, else they order one from the factory against your booking (usually the case for slow-moving model/variant/color specimens).

Dealers are supposed to pay for their own inventory, but quite a few pressurize customers to front up a good chunk (sometimes 100%) of the price. Helps with their cash flow and gives them leverage. A paid up customer is far less likely to back out of the transaction later for whatever reason (transit damage, finance issues, changed your mind, you name it).

As a customer, your sequence of actions should be as follows:

Booking > Allotment from inventory (either dealer or factory) > Customer PDI > Payment, Invoicing and Registration > Delivery.

You technically become the owner only once the car is invoiced and registered in your name, and you're entitled to ensure you're completely satisfied with the car being sold to you before you pay up and sign any paperwork. Don't get rushed into anything by the dealer. A few days taken to ensure everything is in order will be irrelevant in context of a multi-year ownership.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 23rd March 2022 at 14:35.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2022, 15:30   #367
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So, are you saying that with an online booking the dealer will REFUSE to/ not be ABLE to provide the discounts they are promising, since NEXA will intercede - while with a direct booking, NEXA will not have that control?

I am finding that a little odd.

The Dealer is NOT giving me any additional OEM Discount - they are giving me just the 15K that NEXA promises.
The extra discounts/ bonuses they are offering, seem to be within NEXA limits (Exchange Bonus 25K etc) / beyond NEXA's reach (20K for old car etc).

Please do correct me if I am assuming wrongly!
The OEM Discount will apply nonetheless - but most dealers have their margin too - so if you're pitching two against each other you maybe able to walk away with a little better deal : could be even a few accessories thrown in. I've seen this in the past with Nexa in 2020 when helping a friend buy a Ciaz, as well as with Honda when purchasing the Amaze so worth trying out your luck.
Old 23rd March 2022, 18:36   #368
BHPian

Thanks a lot for the clarification @Chetan_Rao!

Quote:
The car technically gets invoiced twice: first from manufacturer to dealer (when they obtain inventory), then from dealer to end customer (when you buy the car).

When you book a car, you either get a specimen allotted to your booking from the dealer's ready stock if they already have the model/variant/color in their inventory, else they order one from the factory against your booking
In my case it will be the second - since the Dealer does not have my Car/ Variant/ Colour in stock.

But when "they order one from the factory against (your) booking" - does that mean they are BOUND to sell that particular car to ME ONLY (once it arrives/ enters their inventory) - as long as I don't cancel my booking with them?

Or, could they transfer it to some other customer who has made a similar booking - maybe someone who is heckling less for discounts? (I had a sense while interacting with the RM that the Dealer actually HAS another identical booking - same make-model-colour as mine!)

Quote:
As a customer, your sequence of actions should be as follows:

Booking > Allotment from inventory (either dealer or factory) > Customer PDI > Payment, Invoicing and Registration > Delivery.
How does the second step - "Allotment from inventory (either dealer or factory)" - in my case, from Dealer - happen? How do I know that they have allotted the car to me?

[Once again, sorry for the naivete!]

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
The OEM Discount will apply nonetheless - but most dealers have their margin too - so if you're pitching two against each other you maybe able to walk away with a little better deal... so worth trying out your luck.
So, if I am understanding you correctly - you are saying that I should avoid the online-booking - book directly - also with 2nd Dealer that I am trying to play against the other - and try my luck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
The change is for price upgrade. I think you have assumed it to be free. If you are willing to pay the difference, they can give whatever brand tyres you want.
Indeed, that was my assumption - and hence the disbelief!
So, what happens to the factory-tires?
If the Dealer agrees to replace them with my specific choice - against extra pay - do they ALSO agree to adjust an amount for the Stock tires?

Last edited by Aaditto : 23rd March 2022 at 18:43. Reason: Missed responding to an earlier reply
Old 23rd March 2022, 19:56   #369
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
allotted the car to me...
It's not all formal procedure set in stone.

You want something, you ask the seller, they give you options from their existing inventory, or source it for you from the manufacturer.

You have no obligation to buy until you want to, and they have no obligation to sell until you pay for it. If you back out, they'll find another customer. If another customer backs out from a purchase and the car's the spec you want, they might offer it to you too. Works both ways.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2022, 15:16   #370
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So, if I am understanding you correctly - you are saying that I should avoid the online-booking - book directly - also with 2nd Dealer that I am trying to play against the other - and try my luck?
No no, I'm saying bargain hard with both the dealers before making the booking if they are able to give a better deal to you.

If it's as per Nexa policy then request if they can throw in some accessories or such to sweeten the deal.
Old 31st March 2022, 11:26   #371

Looking for advice on buying an automatic hatchback for my mother, to be used mainly in city, with occasional trips to nearby areas. KMs will be less, as she is now retired, and she is a sedate driver preferring smaller cars. Currently owns a '10 i10 sportz, which we are planning to sell. (What would be a good price point for selling this?). Buying through csd. City: Pune.

Priorities:
Safety: This is topmost priority, hence maruti, santro, i10 etc are not considered. 4 stars should be a bare minimum.
Small: She is not comfortable with bigger cars, hence Amaze, Magnite, Brezza not considered. Smaller = better in this case. Car will mostly be driven with a single person on board.
Fuss-free Ownership: As she stays alone, Would prefer having a car that does not give headaches or niggles. Following the service schedule should be enough.

Currently being considered:
Jazz CVT VX: Loaded with features, cvt is great. Not going for ZX as sunroof is not required. I currently have a city 4g cvt and love it, but was hesitant initially for this because I don't love the look; but mom likes it, so this is currently top of the list.
Any negatives we should consider?

i20 IVT Sportz: Lot of friends, relatives vouching for it, so considering. Also a good option, but have a few doubts regarding the same.
1. As this is not rated in ncap, is it a safe enough option? Safety is paramount.
2. Some people in the forum are quite against hyundai. What is the reason for this?
3. What does it really offer over the jazz(we don't really need a hot hatch).
4. Is it worth putting in another lakh for the Asta IVT?

Tiago XZA+: yet to test drive the AMT. Fully loaded, smaller(thus better, in this case), great safety, VFM. Would go for this with eyes closed if it came in cvt or if we were going for manual. Saves 2-2.5 lakhs over the other options(But the car will be kept for at least 10 years, so this is not that much of a priority). Should we go for tata's amt over honda/hyundai cvt? Another concern is if the ownership will be fuss-free.

Cars considered, but not in list:
1. Altroz: no Automatic variants available in csd.
2. Polo: Strict no from mom. Does not like the polo.
Any other options we should consider?

Opinions of fellow members would be highly appreciated.
Old 1st April 2022, 10:51   #372

Quote:
Originally Posted by debayudh View Post
Cars considered, but not in list:
1. Altroz: no Automatic variants available in csd.
Just checked the OTR prices of Altroz(mom likes the look), and we could stretch the budget a bit to get the new dca from outside.
Should we spend an extra 50-70k over the jazz/i20 cvt to go for the Altroz XZA DCT?
Old 1st April 2022, 11:49   #373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just checked the OTR prices of Altroz(mom likes the look), and we could stretch the budget a bit to get the new dca from outside.
Should we spend an extra 50-70k over the jazz/i20 cvt to go for the Altroz XZA DCT?
Jazz is quite spacious but it's an outdated model.
I20 is a safe bet but like you said we don't know what's it's safety rating and as it belongs to Hyundai/Kia club i am not hopeful for more than 3 stars.

Altroz is a 5 star rated car. Looks fantastic. Features are aplenty. The review from team bhp has been largely positive for DCA. Only negative I can think of his Tata A.S.S which can be managed. I will suggest you may go for it as nothing is more important than a safe car for your mother even if you are shelling a bit more. Do take a TD before making your mind.

Last edited by harry10 : 1st April 2022 at 11:50.
Old 4th April 2022, 13:43   #374

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Jazz is quite spacious but it's an outdated model.
I20 is a safe bet but like you said we don't know what's it's safety rating and as it belongs to Hyundai/Kia club i am not hopeful for more than 3 stars.

Altroz is a 5 star rated car. Looks fantastic. Features are aplenty. The review from team bhp has been largely positive for DCA. Only negative I can think of his Tata A.S.S which can be managed. I will suggest you may go for it as nothing is more important than a safe car for your mother even if you are shelling a bit more. Do take a TD before making your mind.
Thank you for your suggestions. We have eliminated i20 from consideration.
It is now a choice between jazz and altroz (head vs heart).
Jazz:
+ Honda iVtec.
+ Reliable engine and cvt.
+ ASS would be way better than tata, I feel.
+ Way Cheaper (from csd), and hence, more vfm
- Looks are dated, and considering we will keep this car for 10+ yrs, it is a deterrent.
- Safety, though great, is less than that in Altroz.

Altroz:
+ Stunning looks.
+ Unmatched safety in segment.
+ Filled with features.
- NVH
- DCA being a new tech for tata, not sure how well it will age. Pretty sure if
any faults do develop, we will have to live with a headache for years to
come.
- More expensive (though altroz is less than jazz, we are getting ~1L reduction through csd, whereas, for Altroz dca, it will be whatever the dealer will offer, which won't be much, from the looks of it)
- Not too confident about the ASS.
- Underpowered 3c engine. Though I'm not looking for a great engine, paying more for an inferior engine doesn't feel good.

Hope the community can pitch in with their thoughts, and please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about any of the points.
Old 6th April 2022, 09:30   #375
BHPian

Quote:
Priorities:
Safety: This is topmost priority, hence maruti, santro, i10 etc are not considered. 4 stars should be a bare minimum.
Small: She is not comfortable with bigger cars, hence Amaze, Magnite, Brezza not considered. Smaller = better in this case. Car will mostly be driven with a single person on board.
Fuss-free Ownership: As she stays alone, Would prefer having a car that does not give headaches or niggles. Following the service schedule should be enough.

Currently being considered:
Jazz CVT VX: Loaded with features, cvt is great. Not going for ZX as sunroof is not required. I currently have a city 4g cvt and love it, but was hesitant initially for this because I don't love the look; but mom likes it, so this is currently top of the list.
Any negatives we should consider?
I've been shopping recently too. I skipped the Jazz mainly for two negatives:
1. Lack of rear seat headrests
2. Weak A/C with no rear A/C vents.

As you can see both of these have to do with rear seat occupants - If that's not an issue for you, the Jazz sounds like an ideal fit for your priorities. Safety, the reliability of Honda, a nice roomy cabin with lots of light coming in, a comfortable plush ride in the front seats.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks