Team-BHP - ARTICLE: How to buy a *NEW* car in India
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   On buying a car (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying-car/)
-   -   ARTICLE: How to buy a *NEW* car in India (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying-car/29513-article-how-buy-new-car-india-5.html)

Hi team

I have heard people desist buying the new car during the fag of the year - Nov - Dec. Is there any logic for it or just sentiment of car becoming "one Calendar Year" old car.

Please suggest if its better to postpone the dates to january rather than take the delivery now - Nov.

Vajo,

We've had some interesting discussions on that topic.

Best time to buy a car

Thread one

Like I posted in another threads, we are buying Mahindra Xylo by this month end. The Dealer told me that since the "E8 with ABS" Variant is not hot selling in Solapur, he would have to specifically order it from Company. I am unsure if the car is going to be brought driving or being trucked. The dealer told that the car would be brought trucked.
Suppose if I want to drive the car from Pune to Solapur (250-300kms) instead of allowing the dealer to drive the car, would I have to do Temp. Registration at Pune RTO? Or can I bring the car with just Insurance.
If only Insurance is required, I will get done at Pune Bajaj Allianz Office.
If Temp. Registration would also be required to drive the car to Solapur, what documents do I have to submit at RTO Pune?

Also can you please tell me whether the Digital Drive Assist System can be disconnected from the Front Wheels to avoid rackng up the Odo Kms. I know only the Speedo meter can be disconnected. What about DDAS?

I have booked a WagonR from a authorized Maruti dealer and have done the pre-delivery inspection last Saturday(26/12/2009). The salesman wanted to give me a quick delivery with the TC plates(dealer's plates) which I denied. I preferred getting the final registration done before delivery and but at last I reluctantly agreed to get the car with Temporary Registration plates.

I have also bought insurance and extended warranty from Maruti.

Today(29/12/2009), he called and said he will deliver it today evening. However the insurance and extended warranty papers will come in at the time of final registration which they will take care of within a month.

Having never bought a car in India before, I am little confused about this whole process which does not seem trasnparent at all. The salesman keeps pressuring me to take the delivery of the car for which he says there is huge demand and it is becoming difficult to hold onto it.

I have paid the entire amount to them already so I am not sure why it is difficult to hold onto the car.

Qs. 1. Should I take the delivery with Temporary Registration Plates and rely on them for to take care of the final registration ? I have paid them for the registration and tax etc.

Qs 2. What about insurance and extended warranty ? I have paid them for that. Should I insist on getting the paper along with the car?

I dont know why he is insisting you to take delivery with Temp regn when you paid for the full Registration? It will just take couple of hours to get the car registered with the RTO. I think he wanted to count the number of cars delivered before end of this month and then will go for final registration later? Remember for final registration RTO need to see the car personally (either car has to be taken to RTO office or in some places, if the more number of cars are there to register, the dealer will take the RTO to their showroom). So suggest you insist them to register the car and give it to you.
Insurance - since you have paid, the dealer might have got the cover note of the insurance as original Insurance certificate may be available after a week or so.(without cover note or insurance cert, RTO will not register the car)

Extended warranty - normally the company gives you warranty for a certain period say 6 months or one year or with some mileage. Car companies now started giving extended warranties (against payment) after the original warrany period where you can enjoy some service or repairs with this extended warranty (the terms will differ company to comapny and you may have to read the terms and conditions of your EW) !

Hi BHPians,

I've decided to go for Scorpio M2DI, I live in Kolkata, one dealer from Kolkata saying me since its a BS-II car, he will get it registered from Burdwan/Asansol/Nadia - with no extra cost. I don't have problem with this.

But I want to know, in future what are the negative points regarding that.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Regards.
Arun

While browsing through this topic, it just occured to me that I really do not know how to do a "Test" drive. It forms the most essential part of selecting a car I feel. Is there a procedure, a way of doing things, what to look for, what pattern to follow when going for a test drive. Just like the PDI checklist, if there could be a concise checklist mentioning points to be considered during the TD, it would be hugely beneficial.

I am currently driving an indica DLG, have driven it around 2lac Kms without any trouble. Engine rings and routine maintenance done only. I am planning to buy another car and choosing is the biggest dilemma. My budget is around 5lac and I m in double thoughts to buy a figo, indigo cs, vista or a second hand sedan. Please suggest and help.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NutsNBolts (Post 1790767)
While browsing through this topic, it just occured to me that I really do not know how to do a "Test" drive. It forms the most essential part of selecting a car I feel. Is there a procedure, a way of doing things, what to look for, what pattern to follow when going for a test drive. Just like the PDI checklist, if there could be a concise checklist mentioning points to be considered during the TD, it would be hugely beneficial.

Good one. It's hard to compile a "how to test-drive" article as each individuals preferences vary. I'll still try. In the meanwhile:

- Whether the car meets your needs

- The engine performance (within traffic, on the open road etc.)

- How comfortable you are with driving it (posture, gearshift quality etc.)

- How it behaves (in terms of comfort & ride quality) and whether that behaviour is acceptable to you

- Interior quality

And so on. For a complete list of what you should look out for, click here :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiat-jsp (Post 1819895)
I am currently driving an indica DLG, have driven it around 2lac Kms without any trouble. Engine rings and routine maintenance done only. I am planning to buy another car and choosing is the biggest dilemma. My budget is around 5lac and I m in double thoughts to buy a figo, indigo cs, vista or a second hand sedan. Please suggest and help.

Please use the "What Car" forum section for such queries.

Hi ,
Just managed to get the go ahead (read mom and dad) to go for a second car (my very own car) and zeroed in on the i20. Have been doing some scouting around before I close the deal and in the process discovered that the insurance amount as charged by Hyundai in their price list is 20900 whereas I got in touch with a Bajaj - Allianz insurance agent and he gave me a quote of 12970. A shocking difference of 8K not considering the amt I will save in subsequent renewals.
Now obviously this is very tempting to go for, but what intrigues me why the difference and would their be any hassles I would face later, if I go for insurance through my agent.
~@ri

Of late I've raised this point about difference in Insurance premium through the dealership and getting it done outside - with Honda, Toyota, VW & Skoda. The common refrain has been that if done outside, cashless facility won't be available. They also indicated that if I wanted I could speak directly to the respective Auto company and validate this policy if I want to ! Honda and VW said they would give it in writing too !

At least Honda does this for Honda Assure, where one gets some additional coverage on plastic parts and service benefits etc..

So how does one validate this stance?

Quote:

Originally Posted by @ri (Post 1858769)
but what intrigues me why the difference and would their be any hassles I would face later, if I go for insurance through my agent.
~@ri

The only reason behind the difference is THICK margins on insurance premiums (as high as 40%). At the point of sale, that insurance policy is one of the largest profit generators to the dealership. Buy your own!

Quote:

Originally Posted by shuvc (Post 1858841)
The common refrain has been that if done outside, cashless facility won't be available.

Rubbish, all you need to check is the network of an insurnance company (i.e. which dealerships it has a tie-up with). As an example : Tata-AIG. Whether I buy a Tata-AIG insurance policy from Linkway Honda, or from my own broker, I will get cashless facility as long as Tata-AIG has a "cashless understanding" with Linkway Honda.

Remember, accident repairs form a substantial chunk of service station income. They'll do what they can to have you as their bodyshop customer. Most large insurance companies pretty much have tie-ups with most large brands. Sample FAQ from the Tata-AIG website:

Quote:

Do you have direct settlement facility for Auto Claims?
Yes we have tie ups with a panel of workshops; if you take your vehicle to those workshops you can avail direct settlement facility.

A Maruti Suzuki sales guy today told me that buying insurance from the dealer lets them start work on the car without me having to pay cash first, and then get that re-imbursed. Is that true? By the way, dealer is offering me ICICI Lombard.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hellmet (Post 1871510)
A Maruti Suzuki sales guy today told me that buying insurance from the dealer lets them start work on the car without me having to pay cash first, and then get that re-imbursed. Is that true? By the way, dealer is offering me ICICI Lombard.

He would say that, wouldn't he? I reiterate that insurance premiums have THICK margins for brokers, and that's just a new tactic that dealers have come up with. BY LAW, the insurance company has you covered for accidental damages. And as long as they have a tieup with the said dealership, they will repair your car with the same privileges.

Weird, but the insurance quoted by the dealer is lesser than what ICICI Lombard site quotes by about 300 Rs.