Team-BHP - ARTICLE: How to buy a *NEW* car in India
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   On buying a car (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying-car/)
-   -   ARTICLE: How to buy a *NEW* car in India (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying-car/29513-article-how-buy-new-car-india.html)

It’s a buyers market out there and the ball is no longer in the dealerships’ court. Gone are the days of the Premier Padmini and the Hindustan Ambassador being your only choices for a new car. With most major international brands available in a showroom near you, it’s never been a better time to buy a car.

Team-BHP lists recommendations and precautions that Indian car buyers should take to get the best out of their new car purchases.

Step One : Homework

Step Two : The Test Drive

Step Three : Sealing the Deal

Step Four : Post-delivery

Team-BHP wishes you the very best, and many happy kilometers with your new car.

Nice work, GTO

This article will be very useful for newbies/1st time buyers.

Thanks Mithun, I do hope it helps out newbies / 1st time car buyers too.

However, I am dead sure that even car experts / enthusiasts would do well to reference with such an article. Things like NCB, out-of-state cars, buying at the wrong time of the year, extended warranties etc. can seem obvious but are only too easy to overlook.

GTO,

Missed this by 33 days to be exact. Anyway, have been following TBHP for a long time, hence got valuable information from it.

Excellent article, especially the included references.

People working for big corporates: look out for company discounts and group-buys.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 588800)
However, I am dead sure that even car experts / enthusiasts would do well to reference with such an article. Things like NCB, out-of-state cars, buying at the wrong time of the year, extended warranties etc. can seem obvious but are only too easy to overlook.

Damn right you are. It is important to remain practical despite the excitement.

Quote:

It’s a buyers market out there and the ball is no longer in the dealerships’ court
Mahindra still doesn't think so. Last week my cousin traded his bolero for a new scorpio. He was not given any freebies, even the basic floor mats were not provided in the car. It's buy it or leave it style.

Excellent article..I will use it as a checklist while buying a car. Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 581350)
Step Two : The Test Drive
  • Test drive yourself: Never buy a car based solely on someone else’s opinion, even if it is that of a world-renowned automotive expert. What is right for someone else may not be right for you; think about details like the comfort of the driving position and engine responsiveness. A one-kilometer test drive will reveal nothing – go for a comprehensive test drive in traffic, on open roads and up and down hills. Even if you are not inclined toward other choices in the market, drive them anyway. Sometimes the best buys can be found in the least expected places.

A great post. I really think that the TD yourself part is perhaps the clinching factor in decisions. If you go by hearsay, then almost every car has drawbacks. The best thing is to TD each car at least 2-3 times, and perhaps go with what you like rather than what is hot selling (OK, do not buy a totally flop car). TD should be in tight situations (U-turns, congested, short turns to left and right), smooth and bumpy roads. Most present day cars will do well on smooth roads and expressways. Use this for acceleration tests. But for checking comfort and ease of driving, bumpy and tight situations work best.

Very well sumarised post GTO clap:

Will be very useful to all kinds of buyers on the forum.

Many people who buy their first car, actually do not have much driving experience. Sometimes the only driving experience is the experience they have had from the driving shcool. For these people test driving cars can be intimidating. How should these people go about getting that experience - because getting the opinion from a friend can really be misleading, especially regarding the drive characteristics of the car.

Nicely summarized GTO. Just in time since my friend is going to buy a new car...

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjbiju (Post 598471)
Many people who buy their first car, actually do not have much driving experience. Sometimes the only driving experience is the experience they have had from the driving shcool. For these people test driving cars can be intimidating. How should these people go about getting that experience - because getting the opinion from a friend can really be misleading, especially regarding the drive characteristics of the car.

Please buy a second hand car, at the cheapest you can find. A reasonably well clattering M800 / Amby should be available @ around 30K, padminis / fiats at around 15K (in Ekm / Cochin / Aluva). Use it for a couple of months. Make sure that it has good engines, tyres and batteries. When you sell it later, you are unlikely to lose much by way of depreciation. And if you have third insurance on the old car, you can total it, and you would lose only 30K (or less).
Driving around the old car will give you some road sense, driving experience and of course, contacts with the neighbourhood workshop mechanics!!! lol: Of course, car dealerships are a bit off the city (in EKM at least), so you will find it easier to shop around for your new car).
It is very disappointing to have a brand new car with dents on it.
I had suggested this option to my family, but was vetoed. Now, THEY are regretting it.