Team-BHP - ARTICLE: Pre-delivery Inspection (PDI) & Check List
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   On buying a car (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying-car/)
-   -   ARTICLE: Pre-delivery Inspection (PDI) & Check List (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying-car/68581-article-pre-delivery-inspection-pdi-check-list-17.html)

Thank you guys

I rechecked and got the information that my dealer does not stock Tata safari at his stockyard unless there is an order. hence when he smsed me the number on monday evening [chassis etc] the car went into transit that morning from Pune plant and arrived at his stockyard on tuesday. So the fear of the car getting stocked at his godown is not there

yes i must be excited about new car and not be worried about the transit stuff, sometimes reading too many threads with too many experiences can get u down

I am getting a good deal and with really appreciable Tata motor people till now who have been prompt with response

I would go to the showroom maybe when the car arrives there. The guy would inform me

Thank you all. Please also tell me which thread i can post my ownership and buying report so that it may help other people

Regards and thanks for your time

Quote:

Originally Posted by lodhra (Post 2033740)
Thank you all. Please also tell me which thread i can post my ownership and buying report so that it may help other people

You must start a fresh thread here, rather than post to an existing thread.

Congrats once again, man! After being stranded at home for the last 2 days due to waist-deep water everywhere around where we're living, my wife can't have enough of telling me how stupid I was to ignore her advice (Safari instead of
Civic) :).

Regards,
spadix

Yes spadix those low clearance cars do cause trouble in rains. i have a gypsy and though its basic at least i can run it everywhere

but now my wife had enough of sitting in gypsy without a decent ac. no decent ice and plus the bumby ride so now decided on a safari

would transfer my gypsy to some young enthusiast who wants a 4 x 4 fun

city is a supeb car, i just love the steering wheel, electric odometer and the cockpit like appearance

just my back does not permit a sedan

thank you dude

god bless

On this thread again after 4 yrs, taking delivery of a ANHC VMT today! white color! will post the pics shortly!

Great News!!!!

I am getting my Dezire VDI tommorow. I inspected it today with the help of our TBHP PDI xls sheet throughly then only paid the balance amount and signed the RTO papers. Only thing that remained was Test Drive . Otherwise all other checks are done including engine start off and also Gear shift etc... Great Help!!!!

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread and showed the right way of PDI.

Tarkesh

I am trying to get some clarity on the exact process involved in buying a car. After lurking around the tbhp forums for a few months :-) here is my understanding of the process:
1. Book a car with dealer for 50-100K (usually fully refundable)
2. Dealer will call shortly before vehicles arrive in their stock yard (Dealer will provide vehicle identification (VIN, etc.))
3. Make remaining payment (loan disbursement + my money) 2-4 days before car arrives; Sign up for insurance
4. Do a PDI at stock yard, then sign papers (form-20) to allow registration (this is, of course, the point of no return - you are now buying _this_ car)
5. Pick up vehicle on delivery date (after re-inspecting and re-checking all identification numbers, etc.)

Is this correct so far?

I see a potential catch-22 (recursive!) situation with my list above: I should sign Form 20 only after inspecting the car. But dealer is to be paid a couple of days before the card arrives. For disbursing the loan, I need to sign Form 20.

Can someone please help clarify the process? What am I missing? I can always tell the loan agent to hold the Form 20, but I can't make him.

Quote:

Originally Posted by XR4Ti (Post 2074383)
Is this correct so far?

I see a potential catch-22 (recursive!) situation with my list above: I should sign Form 20 only after inspecting the car. But dealer is to be paid a couple of days before the card arrives. For disbursing the loan, I need to sign Form 20.

Yes it (your list) is correct except that #s 3, 4 will switch positions on the list.

Before the Form 20 is issued to you by the dealer you actually sign on another piece of paper authorizing the dealer to pay the road tax on your behalf for _this_ (as you say) car. That is not the Form 20, and that is what you should not sign on unless you're happy with the yard PDI. In fact this is why #s 3, 4 will switch positions in your list.

You get the actual Form 20 (which is to be submitted to the RTO) only after the dealer gets the money from the bank and you get your vehicle delivered to you. At least this is what happened in my case.

Regards,
spadix

Thanks for the clarification, spadix.

Quote:

Originally Posted by spadix (Post 2075125)
You get the actual Form 20 (which is to be submitted to the RTO) only after the dealer gets the money from the bank and you get your vehicle delivered to you.

But still a little confusion remains. The loan agent is asking me for the Form 20 to disburse the loan (is this right?). But the dealer will issue Form 20 only after the payment is made. I guess I'll just wait until the delivery time comes and let the dealer and the loan guy slug it out :-)

I'll just stay focused in getting the PDI done and will sign things only if I am satisfied with the car.

hi guys i have a question regarding buying a new car. Well i guess we all know getting finance might take a bit longer than expected. in such a case, can i buy a car from the showroom by making a full cash payment while the finance process is going on and then when the loan is sanctioned i can get my money back and start paying EMI's?

Has anyone done this? is it illegal?

^I don't think it is possible. The lenders usually give the payorder in favour of the dealer whose invoice was submitted with your loan application. You have no say on that. However, if your dealer agrees to pay back that amount to you after receipt of the payorder from the lender, it is altogether a different matter. But, I don't think any dealer will agree for that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by J.Ravi (Post 2087054)
^I don't think it is possible. The lenders usually give the payorder in favour of the dealer whose invoice was submitted with your loan application. You have no say on that. However, if your dealer agrees to pay back that amount to you after receipt of the payorder from the lender, it is altogether a different matter. But, I don't think any dealer will agree for that.

Thanks Ravi, I being an NRI return do not have the required tax history to get a loan without any fuss. I know my loan will take time and me being as impatient that i am just come up with this question. Thanks anyways. Will try asking the showroom guys once but wont pin my hopes on it. And i will surely keep you all informed :).

Just for the record, I am buying my parents a self driven city car (on a budget), and so far they have short listed the santro, Spark and Estilo (WagonR ruled out due to its 4 month waiting period).

Quote:

Originally Posted by XR4Ti (Post 2075378)
But still a little confusion remains. The loan agent is asking me for the Form 20 to disburse the loan (is this right?). But the dealer will issue Form 20 only after the payment is made. I guess I'll just wait until the delivery time comes and let the dealer and the loan guy slug it out :-)

Apologies for the delay in my reply, XR4Ti. Hopefully you've got your car by now and are thoroughly enjoying yourself!

Either the loan agent is using wrong terminology, or things are slightly different in your neck of the woods.

In my case, I got my hands on the original Form 20 (offered by the dealer) *after* the loan was well and truly disbursed *and* I took delivery of the car. In fact I clearly remember going to HDFC in the new car and getting their stamp of approval on the two Form 20s! This was around 6 days after delivery.

So while the financer wants the Form 20 (and must stamp on it else the RTO won't accept it during permanent registration application), it's not a precondition for disbursal of the monies.

This was how it panned out in my case (AP RTO, Pride Honda, HDFC).

I hope that answers your query. Once again, wish you all the best for your new ride!

Regards,
spadix

Quote:

Originally Posted by spadix (Post 2087173)
Hopefully you've got your car by now and are thoroughly enjoying yourself!

No, sadly, not yet. The car is expected to arrive at the dealer today or tomorrow. But with the mid-week rioting penciled in on everyone's schedule , I am not sure when I will actually get delivery. I just hope I don't have to pay the new prices (Innova VX price is expected to be hiked by 20K on 01 Oct).

Quote:

Originally Posted by spadix (Post 2087173)
Either the loan agent is using wrong terminology, or things are slightly different in your neck of the woods.

This loan agent is really shady. I wouldn't put anything past him.

But now the loan disbursement is done. The agent did insist on having me get the Form 20 (two copies) from the dealer. The bank signed/stamped them and he gave them back to the dealer along with a delivery order. I guess this is to make sure that the car will be hypothecated to the bank when it is registered. I have told the sales guy very clearly that he is not to proceed with registration until I inspect the car. Hope he keeps his word.

Once the car is delivered (and is in good condition), I guess the finer details of this process will not matter. In any case, thanks a lot for your inputs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricky_3007 (Post 2064883)
Great News!!!!

I am getting my Dezire VDI tommorow. I inspected it today with the help of our TBHP PDI xls sheet throughly then only paid the balance amount and signed the RTO papers. Only thing that remained was Test Drive . Otherwise all other checks are done including engine start off and also Gear shift etc... Great Help!!!!

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread and showed the right way of PDI.

Tarkesh

Hi,

Can some one please guide me to where can we get the PDI xls? I have accumulated points from the post in a word doc but If we have the xls ready then that shall be of great help.

Edit - I have got it. Thanks!

I bought a ford figo last week :) I'm glad i had read this thread before and went for a PDI before buying the car.
My cousin wasn't that lucky though. He went to pick up his ford figo this week from the same dealer that i bought the car from. To his utter shock they were handing him the car that was on display at the showroom for atleast a month (it could be a lot more). Initially the dealer was not ready to accept that this is the car that they had on display at the showroom but me and my cousin were absolutely convinced. Here are a few obvious points:The dealer in question here is NCR ford Delhi. They have some nerve, passing off the display car as a new one. The dealer has accepted that it was indeed the display car and now my cousin is waiting for his car to arrive from chennai.