Team-BHP - ARTICLE: Pre-delivery Inspection (PDI) & Check List
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   On buying a car (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying-car/)
-   -   ARTICLE: Pre-delivery Inspection (PDI) & Check List (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying-car/68581-article-pre-delivery-inspection-pdi-check-list-19.html)

I am totally new to the car buying process. And i hold a FIAT Premier Padmini. So imagine my times. Now i have booked a Fiat GP.

The sales person has told me that the car has come to the stockyard. Now my question is when should i do the PDI. I dont think the car will come to the showroom before registration.

So the basic steps i have envisioned are.

1. Do the PDI in the stockyard.
2. Pay the downpayment and release the loan amount too.
3. The car goes from stockyard for registration.
4. The car comes to the showroom for me to take delivery.

Now the question is there are lot of kms run after i do the PDI and before i take delivery. What if something happens in between. Even if i do the PDI again before delivery, I would have paid the full amount already.

What should i do in this case?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubbertramps (Post 2148881)
Now the question is there are lot of kms run after i do the PDI and before i take delivery. What if something happens in between. Even if i do the PDI again before delivery, I would have paid the full amount already.

Procedurally, you cannot get a new car, because the road tax would've been paid for and temporary registration (in your name) obtained for this car already.

You would have to duke it out with the dealer to get any repairs/replacements (for obviously damaged stuff) done for free (as well as get some accessories for free, maybe) before you drive the car out. Maybe threaten the dealer by going to the consumer court (ensure you have a good case with solid evidence/proof/documentation, though).

This is easier said than done, considering he's already got the money. In fact I totally do not win in such situations :(. So I place my trust in trust (on the dealer), faith and luck.

Regards,
spadix

Quote:

Please do the PDI in the yard to ensure - first and foremost - you are getting the car you asked for ( colour, trim etc). Had an experience where a friend booked Chill Metallic and the dealer allotted Silver!! A PDI at yard saved the day.
Second, to ensure you are not getting a lemon- atleast you can see for yourself things that can be made out from a superficial inspection. If they have covered up perfectly, then thats a different story all together - I guess we do not have much of an option but to follow it up post realization of such a cheating. God forbid.

Now regarding the concern of lots of kms done from yard to RTO for registration and then back to the showroom- let me speak for what happens in Bangalore. I learnt from the dealers(couple of them) that the new car never leaves the showroom for Registration. They imprint the chassis/engine number on paper and take it to the RTO. If all the new cars go all the way to the RTO, imagine the scene on the roads- the dealer next to my place does around 50-60 registrations a day!
With that said, ideally, you should see an increment of only the distance from the yard to the showroom in the ODO, plus a few odd kms for runs in and around the yard/showroom premises.

Quote:

I am totally new to the car buying process. And i hold a FIAT Premier Padmini. So imagine my times. Now i have booked a Fiat GP.

So the basic steps i have envisioned are.

1. Do the PDI in the stockyard.
2. Pay the downpayment and release the loan amount too.
3. The car goes from stockyard for registration.
4. The car comes to the showroom for me to take delivery.

Seems like you are a long Fiat customer and sincerely wish to be so. Great

When you do a PDI before the registration in the yard, give a list of all the touch ups and modifications needed to the concerned person from the showroom and ask him to get it done before registration and give you a confirmation call. Then, if you wish you could do a PDI again. No harm

Like aforementioned, ideally the car should be run only as much kms as the distance clocked between the yard to the showrom (with some plus minus). If within such a short span and run, there are some aggresive pain points , then you have all the right to get that fixed up unless it is something major related to the engine.

Happy driving!!!

Hi Bhpians

I am picking up a new blue blaze Ritz Zxi next week. This has been a product of a yearlong research I have been into. One of the factors (and only of the many) in zeroing in on Ritz is the unbeaten service record of Maruti.

I need advice on PDI process and pre-first service drive of my newbird.

1. How do i check for rattles and bumpy-ness during pre delivery inspection drive. And how do i counter them?

2. How can i check the defogger operation?

3. For a mostly weekend only city-drive use, is it required to upgrade the tyres within the first 500 km of run? Are there any other immediate accessories required for the Zxi (which comes with an audio system, leather seat covers, defogger and rear wiper)

4. The Ritz Zxi comes with a built in audio system (which i know is average). How can i test the audio quality of the system especially the 4 speakers individually? And also what all extras would i need for the audio system considering that we have a range of music tastes. Also, how to go about getting a equalizer tuned and amplifier fitted with the system.

5. Please throw some light on filling complete nitrogen gas on all the tyres during delivery.

6. Any extra gyaan most welcome

With the D-day nearby, the excitement is inevitable and the quest quite palpable. I am counting on all you fellow BHPians in the coming days and further ahead for a happy driving experience

Thank you

Sales certificate ,what exactly is this .Is it equivalent to Delivery Note or Debit Note . My document set does't have one.

Guys, remember to check the tyres - if possible before the car is prepared. If that is not possible, then soon after delivery. But get the tyres washed with any cleaning agent that can remove tyre polish.

Reason : note these cracks. Found these on an unregistered car at a dealership. (the light square is to highlight the cracks)

ARTICLE: Pre-delivery Inspection (PDI) & Check List-tyre-cracks.jpg

I would be taking delivery of a Car (yet undecided between the 90HP & Figo)

The showroom in case of Ford would be a good ~325kms away*

It won't be possible for me to get the PDI & other stuff done and I would be going at the time of delivery itself.

The maximum I can do is arrive a day before and check the Car in broad day light or prior to taking delivery the next day.

Should I mail them the pre delivery check-list?stupid:

I would be communicating them that there should be no scratches, the odo shouldn't read more than 20kms and most of the other pointers via mail and phone. Should I also say them that the Car should be w/o any niggles as if I refuse delivery, then I will have to wait and come back again and waste a good amount of money going and coming back. (4-5 persons in a Safari)

How can I be be assured that I won't be given a lemon and that I can be sure that the Car is indeed a brand-new one, without any faults.

What about manufacturing & VIN?

^^The Ford dealer at Patna also is a Mahindra dealer and at my place, the Mahindra dealer is my best buddy, so would his influence work? (I have a hard time convincing that I do not need a Logan)

P.s.--I won't be getting the Car registered there, I would simply be paying, getting insurance and temporary/garage no and drive and get registered at my place.

*a.s.s is ~175kms away

1. When going for a Car lease, at what point should I get the PO released ? The current status is that the vehicle has been booked (2 days back), and is supposed to be in transit. I haven't heard on that front from the dealer yet (though I have talked to them about some financing invoice related stuff).

2. I am buying a car from Sagar Auto, Bangalore and they are also not interested in letting me do a Pre-registration check at stock yard. They say they will do the PDI before registration, and there is nothing to worry about.

Any contacts at Sagar Auto, Bangalore that I could talk to and get help in doing a PDI ?

Thanks !

^^^

Just read through some more of this thread, and figured out that the PDI not being done is fine. Just that I should be able to inspect it before Registration, at the dealer's place.

When is all the under chassis treatment, etc done ? Is this before registration ? In that case, the above is pretty much possible.

The other question still remains : at what point should I allow release of the PO from the leasing company ? I believe the dealer will want full payment in the clear before registration even for a Company Car lease (between Orix and my company) ?

Also, some contact at Sagar Automobiles (Bannerghatta Rd Branch) for any escalation/influence would be good.

Thanks !

Abninav, you can have the PO released at any time. But do NOT sign on the RTO registration papers until you approve of the car (and that car's chassis / engine number is clearly written on the registration papers).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheel (Post 2153422)
I would be taking delivery of a Car (yet undecided between the 90HP & Figo)

The showroom in case of Ford would be a good ~325kms away*

It won't be possible for me to get the PDI & other stuff done and I would be going at the time of delivery itself.

The maximum I can do is arrive a day before and check the Car in broad day light or prior to taking delivery the next day.

Should I mail them the pre delivery check-list?stupid:

I would be communicating them that there should be no scratches, the odo shouldn't read more than 20kms and most of the other pointers via mail and phone. Should I also say them that the Car should be w/o any niggles as if I refuse delivery, then I will have to wait and come back again and waste a good amount of money going and coming back. (4-5 persons in a Safari)

How can I be be assured that I won't be given a lemon and that I can be sure that the Car is indeed a brand-new one, without any faults.

What about manufacturing & VIN?

^^The Ford dealer at Patna also is a Mahindra dealer and at my place, the Mahindra dealer is my best buddy, so would his influence work? (I have a hard time convincing that I do not need a Logan)

P.s.--I won't be getting the Car registered there, I would simply be paying, getting insurance and temporary/garage no and drive and get registered at my place.

*a.s.s is ~175kms away

Its decided that its the Figo.

Any advise for my queries guys please:

can somebody please point where i can find the PDI check list Excel Sheet. Thanks in advance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chalu (Post 2182117)
can somebody please point where i can find the PDI check list Excel Sheet. Thanks in advance.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attachments/suvs-muvs-4x4s/128434d1240397414-mountain-green-tata-safari-vx-4x4-booked-edit-now-driving-pdi-excel.xls

Guys need really urgent opinion, we are taking delivery of a Polo TDI highline tomorrow morning ( Yet to be registered ) , when i went and checked the car today , it has done about 400kms on the odo , is it normal ????

Should i demand another car ?

Though i did not see any visible evidence of usage , or damage or uneven panel gap.

please advice ( i will be giving him the full amount tomorrow morning.