Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2011, 19:42   #331
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Pre-delivery Inspection (PDI) & Check List

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Hi I would be going for the stockyard inspection today. I was going through the pdi checklist and noticed one item which says to check if Speedo cable is disconnected. Now how do u check that for a car?
Once the dealer agreed for the PDI in the stockyard then it is not a problem whether the speedo cable is disconnected or not. Just you enter and ask to drive you can see with in 100mts the Change in odo. ONce you noted the Odo decimal and with in the yard if you drive 100mtrs then the odo reading will change little. Then you can think that it is connected.If no change ask. Once you move it will show the speed. Then also you can tick.
Old 25th October 2011, 15:36   #332
BHPian

Thanks a lot. Booked a Sea Grey Ford Fiesta Classic Sxi Petrol. Delivery in a few days.
Old 20th November 2011, 19:18   #333
BHPian

Can someone help me with distinguishing between a Skoda Fabia 1.2 Elegance and 1.6 Elegance. They look identical. None of the Fabia variants have monograms on any part of the body claiming the type/engine.

Any engine bay pictures and other tell tale signs are most welcome!

Thank you!

P.S. What to watch out for during a Skoda Fabia PDI? Awaiting your replies fellas!

Last edited by MARCUS_520i : 20th November 2011 at 19:35.
Old 21st November 2011, 17:56   #334
BHPian

^^^^
Above query continued....

I'm being offered generous discounts on a Fabia 1.6 Elegance. I'm guessing since it's the end-of-year sale, that's the reason for the discount. I get to decide the colour of my choice too!
However, how do I make sure that I'm not being sold a test-drive car?
E.g. If I am to go for a PDI at the yard TODAY, what should I expect the month of manufacture of the car to be?

Can someone help?
Old 22nd November 2011, 06:45   #335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCUS_520i View Post
^^^^
Above query continued....

I'm being offered generous discounts on a Fabia 1.6 Elegance. I'm guessing since it's the end-of-year sale, that's the reason for the discount. I get to decide the colour of my choice too!
However, how do I make sure that I'm not being sold a test-drive car?
E.g. If I am to go for a PDI at the yard TODAY, what should I expect the month of manufacture of the car to be?

Can someone help?
Please ask for the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) and confirm the date of manufacture, wildon will help you out with this.
After confirming and satisfying yourself, go through the details of Pre-registration check list, if possible take a friend who has an eye for details with you.
Check for the date of manufacture on the tires, battery as well.
Like you mentioned, the year end deals will have discounts and also other market influences such as sales target, clearing of inventories, new model launch etc.,

HC
Habanero City is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2011, 13:36   #336
BHPian

does checking the VIN on the rapid makes any sense, since its a new launch and i will probably be getting the car from the first lot vehicles.
Old 22nd November 2011, 14:28   #337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habanero City View Post
Please ask for the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) and confirm the date of manufacture, wildon will help you out with this.
After confirming and satisfying yourself, go through the details of Pre-registration check list, if possible take a friend who has an eye for details with you.
Check for the date of manufacture on the tires, battery as well.
Like you mentioned, the year end deals will have discounts and also other market influences such as sales target, clearing of inventories, new model launch etc.,

HC
Thank you so much Habanero City!
Very useful information, that. Will make a note of it.

Thanks again
Old 22nd November 2011, 22:12   #338
BHPian

HI All,

I am planning to book a new Spark LS LPG this week, before that I would like to know whether my deal is a worthy one or I can still negotiate with the dealer further. Also, would like to know the important PDI points for Spark along with the necessary accessories for Spark. Please Help.

Deal: OTR Price is 4,46XXX
Dealer Gives 52,000 cash discount
Accessories: Auto cop system with keyless entry, immobilizer etc.,
Garware sunfilm, complete mats, under chasis rust coating and teflon coating for engine and paint (is teflon coating must for our conditions).

Please help me whether this is a best deal or i can still negotiate further and also about the accessories.

Thanks.
Old 1st December 2011, 11:31   #339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasana_19 View Post
HI All,

I am planning to book a new Spark LS LPG this week, before that I would like to know whether my deal is a worthy one or I can still negotiate with the dealer further. Also, would like to know the important PDI points for Spark along with the necessary accessories for Spark. Please Help.

Garware sunfilm, complete mats, under chasis rust coating and teflon coating for engine and paint (is teflon coating must for our conditions).

Please help me whether this is a best deal or i can still negotiate further and also about the accessories.

Thanks.

Guys, I will have to finalise the deal, if it is worth. So, please help me out. SE is saying the price of Spark may go up between 2 to 5% within a week. And, wat else i can expect him, as this is also year end.
Old 1st December 2011, 13:19   #340
BHPian

Quote:
HI All,

Thanks.
Quote:
Guys, I will have to finalise the deal, if it is worth. So, please help me out. SE is saying the price of Spark may go up between 2 to 5% within a week. And, wat else i can expect him, as this is also year end.
You could use the same PDI format posted here, with any modifications that you might want to make! Its here in word & excel formats.

For the price, offers & other stuff, you should check this thread
Old 1st December 2011, 14:00   #341
BHPian

Hi Abes,

Thanks for your help. Will correct myself and also will try to get the response from that thread.

Thanks.
Old 6th December 2011, 10:27   #342

Thank you so much to everyone who contributed to this thread.

I did a PDI on a Ford Figo booked at Wasan Ford. Everything was fine apart from rusting at the nuts on the wheel. I checked the VIN as per the instructions and it was a 5 month old car which I prompltly rejected. This information was vital as Ford had introduced more features as standard in the past 3-4 months which would not have been in the car they offered me or would have been added by the service Center as additional items.

Thanks

IBCFB
Old 9th December 2011, 11:07   #343
BHPian

I had booked a Swift VDi in September, and wasn't expecting to get the delivery before March next year. But last week, I got a surprise call from the dealer saying that the vehicle is in transit and I got the news yesterday that it has reached the showroom. We all know about the "workers deliberately sabotaging cars" issue at the Maruti plant in Gurgaon, and I pray that this car is not one of those few sabotaged ones.

I'm going for a pre-registration inspection today and would like to know of possible issues that I should look for particularly.

advice guys!!
Old 9th December 2011, 19:41   #344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjot1912 View Post
I had booked a Swift VDi in September, and wasn't expecting to get the delivery before March next year. But last week, I got a surprise call from the dealer saying that the vehicle is in transit and I got the news yesterday that it has reached the showroom. We all know about the "workers deliberately sabotaging cars" issue at the Maruti plant in Gurgaon, and I pray that this car is not one of those few sabotaged ones.

I'm going for a pre-registration inspection today and would like to know of possible issues that I should look for particularly.

advice guys!!

I am no expert, but I guess the PDI check-list here is pretty much enough. You can take along with you, any of your expert friends, for the PDI. Or your friendly neighbourhood mechanic, if you are so paranoid!

Last edited by Abes : 9th December 2011 at 19:43.
Abes is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2011, 21:06   #345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abes View Post
I am no expert, but I guess the PDI check-list here is pretty much enough. You can take along with you, any of your expert friends, for the PDI. Or your friendly neighbourhood mechanic, if you are so paranoid!
In my experience most "expert friends" don't know that they are worse than laymen (my expert friend didn't know how to check engine oil levels) and most people are not friendly with neighbourhood mechanics, not enough to take them to the dealership anyway.

My advice - practice the checklist on some friend's old car - the added advantage is you yourself become an advanced layman and when you do the checks yourself at the dealer's they well show more respect (these guys can figure out in ten seconds of your and your friends' bumbling that they can fool you - and then no checklist can save you).
vina is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed