Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2013, 00:07   #391
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Pre-delivery Inspection (PDI) & Check List

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
How to differentiate between BSIII and BSIV variants visually?
In case of Fiesta(old), the sticker indicating the VIN number(rear quarter glass) also had an info mentioning stage IV.
ramzsys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2013, 00:39   #392
BHPian

All,

I booked my VX 4X4 Safari Storme. I told them that I will sign the registration form after doing the PDI. Also I told them that I will accept the vehicle if it manufactured on or after December 2012. To confirm, I requested the VIN and they gave me the same. The details are as follows

Invoice Date:31-12-2012
Chassis No : MAT617002CNG08402
Engine No. : 2.2LDICOR09GXYJ16108
Product Line: Safari Storme Vxp 4x4

As per this the date of Mfg is July 2012. So I called up the dealer and told that I won't accept this piece.

They said they will contact me back after checking with Tata Motors.

Your valuable suggestions are welcome.
Old 8th January 2013, 20:33   #393
Distinguished - BHPian

Has anyone gotten a Honda from Whitefield and got to do the PDI at the yard before vehicle allotment?

There's an IDIOT sales chick at Whitefield Honda who refused me on this. I just walked out of the showroom. I actually did that.

Am pretty miffed, and am keen to talk some sense to someone else there.
Old 22nd February 2013, 02:03   #394
BHPian

I have booked a Safari Storme LX, which has arrived at the dealer's stockyard. I went for a pre-registration inspection today and found most things in order, except the driver's door, which remained ajar unless closed with some extra force. The dealer has promised to make a small adjustment to the metal loop into which the door lock bolts and says that that would fix it.

What do you guys think?

Also, I know that we have a TBHP PDI checklist; is there an official pre-registration checklist? Could anyone point me to that please?
Old 19th April 2013, 15:08   #395
BHPian

Hello guys,

I had booked a verna at HMP chennai and he said the car has been allotted in my name and that PDI will be done by their own service guys and they dont allow any customer to do PDI. He is asking for the full payment now via RTGS and said he will make an Invoice.

I had pushed him and told him that I want to be there during PDI and he agreed. But I read in the PDI checklist that "Also insist that no Invoice to be made in your name till you complete the pre-delivery inspection."

So how do I do this? If I do the RTGS, I would need an invoice as the proof of the money transfer right? Please advice!

Thanks,
Gopinath.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 20th April 2013 at 08:24.
Old 19th April 2013, 15:40   #396
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorBlades View Post
So how do I do this? If I do the RTGS, I would need an invoice as the proof of the money transfer right? Please advice!
Plan and simple, you dont do the RTGS till you do the PDI and ensure that the car ticks all the checks as detailed in the PDI. If you feel something isnt right you have every right to ask for a different car, coz once you pay and the invoice is prepared, the car will go for the registration and you will have to hold on to the car.

If the dealer tries to act smart, then you have every right to cancel the vehicle booking.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2013, 17:28   #397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinaush View Post
Booked a Swift Vdi at Popular Automobiles, Annanagar, Chennai, and the delivery was scheduled today at 5pm.
===========The situation is quite critical. Is this any kind of scam? Guide me folks, This is my 1st car. Hard earned and saved money, 7.10 lakhs.
don't accept the car. something similar happened to me when i took delivery of my swift. it was in 2006 with mithra in hyderabad. i paid the downpayment amount and the the bank released the loan amount and when i took delivery of the car the teflon coating which was supposed to be done was not done properly on the roof. so the dealership said i can bring it after a couple of days and get it done and i agreed. i brought the car back after 2 days and left it for doing the teflon coating and in the evening when i went to pick the car i had the shock of my life. instead of doing the teflon coating on the roof they repainted the roof. i asked my sales guy what happened and he said there was some communication gap and the workshop painted it instead of doing the coating. i refused to take the car. he tried emotional blackmail and said what would you do if your brother had made this mistake, so please forget it. i refused to budge and told him i will not accept anything other than a new car. he then told me you take the car and we will change it later. i knew if i accepted the car the way it was they will never replace it. so i refused to take it and left the store. but before leaving i checked the engine number and chassis number (VIN) and wrote it down. after 3 days they called me and said they have the new car. i went and the first thing i checked was if they were trying to polish the old car and give it back. so i verified the engine number and chassis number and it was a new car. also the other car was still in the showroom. probably they sold it some other hapless soul. in my case registration was not done as in those days, registration was done much later and initial few weeks you could drive around with the temp registration but the insurance was paid. so they converted the insurance from the first car to the second car and registration was done much later. so my first car is actually my second car

so my advise is don't accept the car under any circumstance. take pictures and whatever proof you can and if the dealer tries to act smart and escalate the issue.
Old 20th April 2013, 08:29   #398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Plan and simple, you dont do the RTGS till you do the PDI and ensure that the car ticks all the checks as detailed in the PDI. If you feel something isnt right you have every right to ask for a different car, coz once you pay and the invoice is prepared, the car will go for the registration and you will have to hold on to the car.

If the dealer tries to act smart, then you have every right to cancel the vehicle booking.
Thanks Buddy. I had asked him to give me a payment receipt and the invoice to be made only after we see the car. Thanks for the heads-up. Will update with pics and the story soon
Old 3rd May 2013, 13:02   #399
BHPian

Without disclosing locations and identities, and with utmost respect for the dead, I would like to report an unfortunate event.

A guy wanted to do a self-PDI before purchasing his choice of car. The dealership who are mostly a friendly/professional bunch agreed to let him take out the car and drive it out on the open road. Don't know what came over the guy but he drove it such that he hit another guy riding a two-wheeler and totaled the car he was driving. The two-wheeler rider lost his life on the spot.

Standout points from the case: -
1. The car was taken out without a proper gate pass
2. The sale had not been made (of course)

I'm sure the dealership isn't ever gonna allow people to take cars out for a pre-sale drive.
Old 3rd May 2013, 13:23   #400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snkjr View Post
A guy wanted to do a self-PDI before purchasing his choice of car. The dealership who are mostly a friendly/professional bunch agreed to let him take out the car and drive it out on the open road. Don't know what came over the guy but he drove it such that he hit another guy riding a two-wheeler and totaled the car he was driving. The two-wheeler rider lost his life on the spot.
Unbelievable and most unfortunate. IMO both are at fault, dealer taking it too causally about the test drive and the buyer for driving rashly which resulted in a death. Normally the dealers are very apprehensive about the buyers doing a PDI, leave apart handing over the car for a small run.
Old 3rd May 2013, 14:29   #401
Senior - BHPian

Take a close look at the following two papers
1. Invoice from the vehicle manufacturer to the dealer &
2. Form 22 issued again by the vehicle manufacturer

These two documents will have the relevant details for the vehicle and you can cross check the engine and chassis numbers yourself.

Both of the above documents are a part of the file that goes to RTO for registrations and are therefore accesible to the customer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
Suppose I am billed for BSIV and if I am delivered BSIII vehicle, then what?

There is a similar example on Team-BHP where the Customer was billed for Renault Duster 110 Bhp Model and was actually delivered 85 Bhp Model. There is no exterior difference between 85 Bhp and 110 Bhp Models.

Hence my question remains unanswered-
How to differentiate between BSIII and BSIV variants visually?
khoj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2013, 18:47   #402
BHPian

I have been allotted a Hyundai i20 and was told it's a 22nd March manufacturing date based on Form 22.

Members, please provide your views if I should go for a car that is close to 2 months old given that 120 has sales of close to 6000 every month. Of course I will do the pre-registration check and this questions presumes everything goes ok with that. The pre-registration check is scheduled for 11th May, so any replies before that would be of great help.
Old 11th May 2013, 15:27   #403
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtualaman View Post
I have been allotted a Hyundai i20 and was told it's a 22nd March manufacturing date based on Form 22.

Members, please provide your views if I should go for a car that is close to 2 months old given that 120 has sales of close to 6000 every month. Of course I will do the pre-registration check and this questions presumes everything goes ok with that. The pre-registration check is scheduled for 11th May, so any replies before that would be of great help.
Did the pre registration check today and everything was perfect . Getting delivery on May 17
Old 17th May 2013, 10:01   #404
BHPian

One of the items mentioned in the Team BHP PDI checklist is "Sales Certificate" under documentation. I am taking delivery of my new car shortly. If someone can explain what this is, it would be of great help. Thanks.
Old 27th May 2013, 19:28   #405

Hi BHP-ians
I am a newbie in this group and the main purpose was to know as much as possible about the Mahindra Thar before I take the leap of faith.

So last weekend, I did get a chance to go to a dealer [Sahyadri Mahindra, near Baner in Pune] and have a test drive. Do note that I was initially told that they do not have any CRDe versions that I could test drive and in an hour after the first call was done, I got a call from the dealer stating that on checking with his team, there is a black CRDe version available in the storehouse at Katraj. I am new to Pune and so my apologies if I spell these names incorrectly. Anyway, I did show up at the dealsership and I got to speak with the Thar expert. The sad part here was that I did not know to speak Marathi [I am from Kerala] and the Thar person was a hardcore Marathi speaking dude. In his defense, he did try his best to get the communication going on with Hindi and Marathi.
So I got to find out what they offer me and he gave me a final on-road price at 832400 for the Black Mahindra CRDe. So now they took a demo vehicle and drove me to Katraj where the Thar was available - the prioceless single piece. Apparently I am told that it would take around 2-3 months for a Thar to reach the stockyard once ordered.

So we reached the stockyard and I did find the Thar at one corner. It was very dirty/dusty and the reason I was told is that its been very windy the last few days !! So i do a walk around and it looks all good except for the dirt and dust coated exterior. We get in and the interiors are much better as in there was no dust or dirt to the extent of the exteriors. The wheel caps were all in the rear of the vehicle. Surprisingly, the odometer did read 523 kms already and on probing, i was told the Thars are not delivered via logistics but are driven from Nashik. Now I am not geography scholar but google maps tells me the distance is around 200 kms and I am not sure how it colelcted all 523 kms. I guess they do have quite a lot of test drives on that model !

But I did go ahead with teh test drive and i must say I was impressed right at the beginning. The performance was very satisfactory. Very responsive, pretty good handling at higher speeds. Gear shifts were smooth. The only disappointments [for the lack of a better term] were:
1. The stock yard was slightly off the main road and the route to teh yard was very ristic as in there were all kacha roads with rubble. The pick up was good but there was this really really loud rattling noise for most part of that road until we reached the main road. The dealer tried to cover thsi up by holding the top and trying to explain it by saying the mechanincs were fooling aroudn with the soft top and such. I did not buy it though. It was indeed annoying and I hope this can be fixed by getting the soft top looked at.

2. I am not much of a 4X4 enthusiast but I have been on the navigator seat quite sometime and I asked the dealer rep to show me how the 4X4 can be engaged and moved around from one level to the next. To my horror, he had no idea. He was just using all his might to do so and finally managed to show me all three levels. So much for the Thar expert !

3. No extended warrantly was offered. There is no option it seems.

4. On getting back to the dealership, I wanted to know more on the customisations that they offered as part of the deal. Though they do come for an additional price, they gave me the list. I was told that we would need the RTOs approval for most of the customisations. That was surprising but I take it that its the law.
On the customisations, would any of you throw more light as to what is
nice to have and what needs to be there.

5. I was so interested on the half canopy but a comment that the dealer gave me kinda dampened my spirits. Apparently, once the half canopy is installed, I cannot go back to the regular full canopy soft top it seems. Is that right? Isn't there an option where I can use the full canopy as against a half canopy or no roof at all.

I could use as much info as possible before I finalise this deal. Also, I could use information on other dealers around Pune as well as places/mechanics where I could get more options and information on customising the Thar. I am so looking forward to this event in my life and I hope it all goes well as expected.

Thank you all.

Raj

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks