Team-BHP - ARTICLE: Pre-delivery Inspection (PDI) & Check List
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   On buying a car (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying-car/)
-   -   ARTICLE: Pre-delivery Inspection (PDI) & Check List (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying-car/68581-article-pre-delivery-inspection-pdi-check-list-34.html)

Hi Guys,

Here is something I prepared for my PDI.

Inspired from TrueDreamer doc file

If I missed anything please let me know

I did my PDI today, having only paid the booking amount. I am getting a July 15 car, which looked as fresh as a daisy at the stockyard.

However, I noticed slight rust behind the alloy wheels in every car, and disturbingly noticed rust inside the engine bay of the car allotted to me. Please see attached photo, the rusty portion is highlighted.

I discussed this with my salesperson, and he assured me that portion rusts in every car, and there's nothing to worry about.

Innova Owners and Experts, can you please confirm, thats correct? I will be making full payment tomorrow, so would be grateful if there is an answer tonight.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fornax (Post 3778199)
Please see attached photo, the rusty portion is highlighted

Please don't accept this vehicle and don't believe sales person words. Ask him to allot a new vehicle and do a PDI for that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grand Drive (Post 3778213)
Please don't accept this vehicle and don't believe sales person words. Ask him to allot a new vehicle and do a PDI for that.

But, what if that rusty portion is a standard occurence on all vehicles, wouldnt I be forced to accept one of them?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fornax (Post 3778237)

But, what if that rusty portion is a standard occurence on all vehicles, wouldnt I be forced to accept one of them?

If it is a standard part and parcel of all cars in the line up then ask them to take you to the yard or wherever all cars are stored and open all bonnets of the Innova.

If all cars have it then make a note of it anywhere proper where you'll have proof for later usage. Do this before accepting delivery.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fornax (Post 3778237)

Rusting is not normal. Rusting is not a standard occurrence on all vehicles as bluffed by your sales person. Accepting a vehicle that's got rusted in the engine bay area might invite risk and unnecessary tensions on the later stages of ownership. You are now on the safer side as you haven't cleared the payment. It's better not to accept the vehicle and thereby, ask your sales person to allot a different one.

I would really appreciate if that portion of the engine is recognised by someone, and its rusting is confirmed to be a standard occurence or otherwise.

I just got an SMS saying HDFC Bank has released their payment. Now only self contri is pending, but thats substantial as well. Big Fix!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fornax (Post 3778314)
I would really appreciate if that portion of the engine is recognised by someone, and its rusting is confirmed to be a standard occurence or otherwise.

I am not sure about the part that's rusted. But here's the google search of Toyota Innova engine bay images where you can observe that rusting is not a standard occurrence.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grand Drive (Post 3778395)
I am not sure about the part that's rusted. But here's the google search of Toyota Innova engine bay images where you can observe that rusting is not a standard occurrence.

Trust me, I have exhausted the google search results. The rusted portion is only visible when seen from LHS, and I noticed it on the TeamBHP Vin deco thread as well as the top result for "innova engine bay". Trust me, I will not be taking this car if I have an iota of doubt. My concern is whether Innovas are routinely sold in this state or mine is an unique case...

Update:
Apologies for posting without researching...just read in depth about new cars with surface rust being "Very very common". This was around page 2x on this thread itself plus other threads on the site. Think, I will live with it, call it a sense of trust...worse case, I will have it replaced...I am able to afford the whole car, surely I can afford a few of its components.

Rusting behind the alloys would be on the brakes (more prominent on the centre portion/hub) or drums as the case may be. In the engine bay there are some components especially the cover of the turbo that may catch rust.

The reason for rusting here is that all of these parts heat up very quickly but need to be cooled off in order for them to work normally. The surfaces of these parts is left as is, without any paint or coating of any sorts. This allows for faster heat dissipation without the cover to impede the heat transfer. Do a comparison with other vehicles in the stockyard, showroom etc. and do satisfy yourself before making further payments, once the money is gone it ain't coming back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fornax (Post 3778199)
.....However, I noticed slight rust behind the alloy wheels in every car, and disturbingly noticed rust inside the engine bay of the car allotted to me. Please see attached photo, the rusty portion is highlighted...

Thanks for an informatively exhaustive thread. Apart from having a detailed checklist for carrying out various checks, it's also quite helpful if one can take along an expert mechanic (having detailed knowledge of the make of vehicle one's buying) from a trusted garage, as he can very well guide you through the detailed inspection of the vehicle.

Hi Guys,

Just got a call that my car(Honda Jazz) is ready and I can take it on Tuesday.Everything is done except the road tax payment.SA just called me requesting my Adhaar card number which I don't have.So I applied it today but it may take couple weeks for me to get the number.First of all is it mandatory to have the aadhaar card and also my SA said we can pay the tax without it, but I need to provide during the registration process while I change the temporary number to permanent.Is it true or do we have to submit during tax payment?

BTW this in Hyderabad

Aadhar card is now mandatory only & only for two things

!. Getting LPG subsidy &

2. Getting rations via the PDS scheme

It is not required and is intact irrelevant for all other purposes per ruling of the Hon'ble Supreme court that lords over all of India of which Hyderabad is still an integral part :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKB (Post 3778936)
BTW this in Hyderabad

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fornax (Post 3778410)
...Update:
Apologies for posting without researching...just read in depth about new cars with surface rust being "Very very common". This was around page 2x on this thread itself plus other threads on the site. Think, I will live with it, call it a sense of trust...worse case, I will have it replaced...I am able to afford the whole car, surely I can afford a few of its components.

Apologies for replying to my own post...but I think its necessary to close the loop on the surface rust of cast iron parts query many likely have, especially if car is purchased during monsoon.

Today, when I visited the showroom, as promised, the salesperson took me along to show another car getting ready for delivery. That car has the exact same rust in the same part/area, and he was clearly enthused to open as many bonnets as I wished. I desisted.

Clearly its a property of cast iron parts during monsoon and as stated elsewhere, "the surface is kept uncoated to help dissipate heat naturally". Apologies, if I misled anyone...and a sincere thanks to those who supported through their replies.

You kept me sane yesterday!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fornax (Post 3779176)
Clearly its a property of cast iron parts during monsoon and as stated elsewhere, "the surface is kept uncoated to help dissipate heat naturally"

Exactly, from the photograph you've shared, the rusted part appears to be exhaust manifold and in most of the vehicles it is kept uncoated to help dissipate the heat. Have noticed this in many new vehicles.

Regards.