Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2015, 14:48   #511
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Pre-delivery Inspection (PDI) & Check List

Around 10 days back I took delivery of my new car, a VW Polo petrol (Highline). I had done a thorough PDI and delivery inspection of the car and except for a 90km on the odometer, nothing seemed amiss. On the kms, the SA clarified that the cars are brought from stockyard, which is quite far off and hence the high number. Given that it was not in three digits, I did not bother too much.

The car carries the manufacturing date of May 2015 (checked VIN) and is of 2014 model. The delivery was taken in August 2015, resulting in a gap of ~3 months.

Now, a couple of things I noticed that led to a niggling thought that the car is not exactly new (maybe a demo model). Let me list out the observations and the counter arguments that I've been having with myself all this time. I'd really appreciate if the knowledgeable members can guide me in this regard.

Just to set some context, I'd also like to say upfront that I'm new to cars, this being the first car purchase, ever in my immediate family. I am new to driving and still polishing my driving skills after an almost month long course in MDS.

Observations:
1) 90km on odometer at PDI; 91 at delivery
2) missing plastic seat covers at the time of PDI and delivery; although the seats did not exactly look used or dirty
3) the key appeared a little used and does not have that new car shine. I could some see minor scratches on the plastic portion
4) The other day I was connecting my phone through BT (post delivery) and found out name of two other phones that were previously connected. Might have been the guys at dealership, not sure.

I showed the keys to the dealer and they insisted that all keys look like this. I had a look at other keys and they seemed a tad shiny and scratch free. On this, the dealer offered to clean up the keys, which we eventually accepted given that
changing was not an option they gave.

Now, when I did the PDI, the car had white sticker on the roof and it appeared like any other car at stockyard that I have seen on Team-bhp ownership threads. And which is why at no stage I felt any thing fishy in the process.

So, first things first, am I being a little too paranoid in thinking that I've been duped in some way? I'm sorry I'm absolutely new to all this and hence the doubt. And secondly, if there is some thing wrong then what should be the next course of action?

Note to Mods: I'd request you to move it to the appropriate thread in case this is not the right place to raise such concerns.

Last edited by lordvader : 28th August 2015 at 15:08. Reason: fixed some text
lordvader is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2015, 18:40   #512

Very useful information. Never knew I had to do a pre-registration check. I have spoken to the dealer and will be visiting their stockyard tomorrow to inspect the car.

Thank You!
Old 17th September 2015, 08:05   #513
BHPian

After implmentation of LBT there must be some changes to the documents handed over by the dealer. Earlier we used to get an Octroi certificate, with LBT this documents will not be available. What is the best way to verify that the dealer has actually paid LBT for the amount that has been charged to us?
I would request member who took car delivery mid to late after 2012 in Mumbai/Thane/Pune to please list out the documents handed over by the dealer.
Old 22nd September 2015, 00:48   #514
BHPian

I have scheduled my PDI tomorrow, but the sales-rep is saying that I can only inspect the car from outside, and he will not have permission to have the key. Is that something which is practised by the dealers?

It is Dakshin Honda Bangalore.
Old 22nd September 2015, 03:16   #515
SKB
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindamray View Post
I have scheduled my PDI tomorrow, but the sales-rep is saying that I can only inspect the car from outside, and he will not have permission to have the key. Is that something which is practised by the dealers?

Ask for the keys,they gave me the keys and I even got to start the engine to check for any noise.Only thing I didn't do was driving.BTW make sure to write down the VIN and chassis number and check for any minor scratches.
Old 22nd September 2015, 09:22   #516
BHPian

Quote:

Hello Arindam,
I see that this varies from dealer to dealer. In my case we even got the car up the hydraulic arm to check the underbody, also all the internal electronic equipment was thoroughly checked, including music system, blue&me, aircon, USB, aux ports and all kinds of lights. All through the physical examination we had the car running in idle (expect for the time when it went up the hydraulic arm).
The dealer shared the VIN number a few days in advance and during PDI the SA showed the VIN stamped in 3 locations as a confirmation.
I would suggest be gentle and by this time if you have built enough rapport they would be fine bending some of their rules.

All the best !!

Cheers,
pdma.
pdma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2015, 10:07   #517
BHPian

Quote:

We picked up our new Brio last week. We were allowed to drive the car for a short distance before it went for registration. They were open to us taking a small spin at the PDI stage as well (we declined since the technicians were polishing the car).

PS: Escalate it to their sales head. That should fix your problem.

Last edited by anilp : 22nd September 2015 at 10:08.
Old 15th October 2015, 13:57   #518
BHPian

Sharing my experiences regarding my PDI i.e.
a) The Odometer has clocked 73 kms.
b) The exterior of the car was not clean as it is was kept out in the open. But i did not come across any scratches.
c) Confirmed the the VIN number on the car.
d) Started the car to check the NVH. But did not check each internal electronic equipment.

I hope this was sufficient and i did not miss out of any critical aspects.
dpkbehera is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2015, 12:38   #519
BHPian

I did pre-registration inspection for wife's Celerio Auto today. Though everything else was fine, I noticed a strange issue there.

The temperature sensor was stuck at 23 C and refused to change. The technician there said that it was inside temperature (which was close to 32 C or more) and when it didn't change for quite some time, I am not sure if the temperature sensor is faulty/disconnected there. This is the only grey Celerio they have as of now - so not sure if we should change our preferred colour or wait longer -waiting might mean pushing billing to next month and probably changing bill amount as well.
Old 2nd November 2015, 16:32   #520
BHPian

Is sales certificate provided by dealer to customer at the time of delivery, or is it requirement for Registration authority only?
Old 3rd November 2015, 08:34   #521
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingmachine View Post
Is sales certificate provided by dealer to customer at the time of delivery, or is it requirement for Registration authority only?
By the sales certificate, do you mean Trade Certificate which is issued by the manufacturer to the dealership during shipment of cars from factory premises to the dealers yard.
Old 3rd November 2015, 19:07   #522
Senior - BHPian

In the afternoon when I called the dealership Sales Head, he mentioned that my car has landed in their stockyard yesterday night and today they are going to do the PDI. I immediately hopped on this opportunity and told him that I would be doing the PDI as well at their stockyard. He said that normally they don't allow customers in their stockyard, but would arrange their driver to take me through the car. Went there @ 02:30pm, their person took me inside and spotted the car. He said that he will give it for PDI and I can do my PDI there itself. Here are some pics of my Molten Orange T8

The Technician doing the PDI

The Technician inspecting the right side of the car

Right side B pillar came with black cladding

Left side B pillar came without black cladding

The first scratch spotted during PDI

The Technician at the wheel during PDI test drive

The sales head assured me that both the above issues (missing B pillar black cladding and scratch) will be fixed in the stockyard PDI. I am not worried about the small scratch, but wonder how can a newly launched car come out of the factory without the B pillar blackened. What were the final inspection folks @ M&M's Chakan plant doing when this car rolled out of the assembly line. Hope M&M is not going the XUV way due to increased demand, wherein production took priority and quality went for a toss, resulting in the lengthy XUV niggles thread.
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2015, 11:52   #523

What is my dealer up to? - All new Honda City 2015

Hi guys,

My dealer (He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named-Until-I-am-sure-he-is-messing-with-me) is giving me the wrong vibe. Here is the story:

* I enquired about the All New Honda City 2015 and closed in on VX MT
* Got him to give me in writing that I will not take a car that is more than a month old manufactured and without PDI
* Did not sign on any RTO forms (quick thinking. Self pat on back)
* Paid booking amount of 21k and discussed that delivery will take a month
* Got a call+mail 2 days later saying car is on the way (Red flag #1)
* Asked for VIN to check manufacturing date. Got the last 6 digits
* On further enquiry he tells me its 2015 manufactured. I call BS and tell him to give me full VIN and show me the car
* He is still circling around the VIN issue and acting innocent that VIN is only 6 digits etc. Sent him a photo of a VIN of a Honda City.

Now my question is what do you think is going on? Should I just skip this car and get a next batch or dump the dealer altogether. The dealer is very reputed and I am totally surprised by this behaviour. It seems to me like:

* He has old car lying around and wants to get rid of it (Does that even happen with City stock?)
* Has a damaged car that no one has been buying

Help please.
Old 5th November 2015, 12:04   #524
Senior - BHPian

Re: What is my dealer up to? - All new Honda City 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by kontinuity View Post
Help please.
Dump him, take your money back, go to another Honda dealer.

If he pulls the same stunt, go to another manufacturer.

No use escalating to the company, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2015, 18:05   #525

Re: What is my dealer up to? - All new Honda City 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Dump him, take your money back, go to another Honda dealer.
Thanks for the encouraging words.

UPDATE:
Met with the dealer and the guy is really cool but was really trying to sell me an old car. He confessed that the car is more than 90 days old and that my preference is for 30 - 60 so he told me reject this allotment and go back in the queue for another one. He was scaring me that he doesn't know when the next allotment will be done and I was ok with all of that.

So all in all, a good day with no need to bring out my proverbial boxing gloves

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks